Assault on the Capitol (DC)

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

grab.him.by.the.indictment @violet__rosie wrote: Convicted #J6er Antony Vo complaining out the gate on Spaces that someone reported him for violating his pre-trial conditions. Says his lawyer told him to just not be on camera.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Jan. 6 defendant who wanted to arrest 'the traitors' to 'protect the Capitol' is sentenced to 4 years
A defiant Ed Badalian repeatedly interrupted his sentencing judge and told the U.S. marshals who took him into custody they had a duty to resist unconstitutional orders.

Sept. 26, 2023, 7:45 PM CEST
By Ryan J. Reilly

WASHINGTON — A conspiracy theorist convicted of felony Capitol riot charges told a federal judge at his sentencing Tuesday that he wanted to "protect the Capitol" by "arresting the traitors" on Jan. 6 before he was sentenced to more than four years in prison.

Ed Badalian, of California, said at his sentencing Tuesday that he was "frustrated" that officers protecting the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, "did not join us in arresting the traitors," referring to members of Congress who did not overturn the 2020 presidential election in Donald Trump's behalf.

Badalian was convicted in April of conspiracy to commit an offense against the U.S., obstruction of an official proceeding and a misdemeanor count. Evidence showed that he organized paintball training sessions after Trump’s 2020 election loss and was preparing for war. He made it to the lower west terrace tunnel on Jan. 6 and into the suite of Senate hideaway offices that were ransacked by rioters.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... rcna117261
bob

Post by bob »

Was blocked by CondemnedUSA aka Treniss Evans, who:
USDOJ wrote:Inside and to the left of the broken window through which Evans entered, a line of U.S. Capitol Police officers stood, blocking off one direction of the corridor. The police officers were wearing full uniforms, to include marked helmets or caps, with police badges, duty belts, and official insignia clearly displayed. Most of the police officers were wearing riot helmets with clear plastic face shields down.

Once inside, Evans turned back to face the broken window where other rioters were visible outside. Two other rioters inside the building addressed those outside to invite them to “come in.” Evans then raised his megaphone to his mouth, and said, “Bring ‘em in.”

Evans marched through a corridor of the U.S. Capitol building. Evans used his megaphone to address other rioters, stating, “We want justice,” as well as “Back the blue.” Evans also used his megaphone to lead other rioters in the Pledge of Allegiance and the Star Spangled Banner. At approximately 3:11 p.m., Evans used his megaphone to address other rioters inside the Crypt of the Capitol.

Evans entered a Congressional conference room. Evans was told by other rioters inside that the conference room belonged to Speaker Pelosi. Evans took a shot of Fireball whiskey inside the room.
Evans eventually pleaded to entering and remaining in a restricted building, and was sentenced to 20 days.
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Evans took a shot of Fireball whiskey inside the room.
Was he out of meth?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Jan. 6 rioter who urged mob to take officer’s guns took a secret plea deal, DOJ confirms

PUBLISHED MON, OCT 2 20232:19 PM EDT
NBC NEWS Ryan J. Reilly

WASHINGTON — A Jan. 6 defendant caught on camera using a bullhorn to urge fellow pro-Trump rioters to steal law enforcement officers’ guns took a secret plea deal and was sentenced to 2.5 years in prison earlier this year, the Justice Department and his legal team acknowledged for the first time in a filing unsealed on Monday.

Samuel Lazar, a pro-Trump rioter, also shot at a line of officers with pepper spray on Jan. 6, the government said.

Lazar was actively featured on the FBI’s Capitol Violence website when he attended an event featuring Rudy Giuliani and former Pennsylvania gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano in May 2021. There are more than half a dozen photos of Lazar and Mastriano together at various political events; Mastriano has said he can’t vet everyone he takes photos with and that anyone who attacked law enforcement should be “held accountable.”

Lazar was arrested on July 27, 2021, the same day of the first public hearing of the Jan. 6 committee, which featured the testimony of four of the police officers who protected the Capitol during the attack.

During a sealed proceeding in March 2022, Lazar pleaded guilty to a felony charge of assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers and aiding and abetting and agreed to cooperate with the government, according to the joint filing unsealed Monday. Lazar was sentenced to 30 months, or 2.5 years, in federal prison on March 17, 2023, the filing said.

NBC News first reported on Lazar’s sentencing the day it happened after spotting members of his family at the courthouse. But Lazar’s family members would not say what happened during the proceeding and what sentence Lazar received. The Justice Department declined to comment on Lazar’s case at the time.

The filing was released following a petition by a media coalition, which includes NBC News. The coalition filed a motion to unseal back in April and filed a renewed motion last week after U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson denied the initial request.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/02/jan-6-r ... firms.html
bob

Post by bob »

Rachel "Bullhorn Lady" Powell gets 57 months, with self-surrender in January. (She wanted 0, the government wanted around 96.)
Image ImageImage
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

I’m trying to dredge up some pity for Ms. Powell, but the well is dry.

Yes, Rachel, you did, in fact, throw your entire family in the garbage. You attempted to throw the United States of America in the garbage, too.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

The judge ordered her to surrender by Jan. 5, 2024.

Did the judge miss the potential irony of having her surrender on Jan. 6? I realize that it is a saturday, and the prison staff may not be there for a voluntary surrender, but I still think that 1/6/2024 would be an appropriate date.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

noblepa wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:33 pm The judge ordered her to surrender by Jan. 5, 2024.

Did the judge miss the potential irony of having her surrender on Jan. 6? I realize that it is a saturday, and the prison staff may not be there for a voluntary surrender, but I still think that 1/6/2024 would be an appropriate date.
They should have hauled her off today. She gets to spend the holidays with family. As someone said on the bird site, if she'd been a black guy with a blunt, she'd be in jail.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Montgomery Co. officer who fatally shot stabbing suspect now charged with assaulting police on Jan. 6
Justin Lee, of Rockville, Maryland, faces two felony counts for allegedly joining the violent Capitol riot.

A Montgomery County police officer was indicted Wednesday on two felony charges for allegedly assaulting police during the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot.

Justin Lee, 25, of Rockville, appeared before a federal magistrate judge Thursday afternoon for arraignment on seven counts, including felony counts of civil disorder and assaulting, resisting or impeding a police officer. Because Lee was charged by indictment, a detailed statement of facts was not available in his case.

Lee spoke little during the hearing except to tell the magistrate judge his police firearm had been reclaimed by the Montgomery County Police Department because he was on administrative leave. Lee was released on his own recognizance on standard conditions, including that he not keep a firearm in his home.

Lee was ordered to return to court on Oct. 25. His case was assigned to District Judge Trevor McFadden.

In July, Lee shot and killed a man accused of stabbing multiple people in Montgomery County after he charged at Lee. The suspect was later identified as 19-year-old Franklin Castro Ordonez, of Gaithersburg. It was not immediately clear whether Lee was on leave due to an ongoing investigation into that shooting or the new charges related to Jan. 6.

The Montgomery County officer isn’t the first member of law enforcement to be charged in connection with Jan. 6. Last year, Thomas Webster, a veteran member of the NYPD, was sentenced to 10 years in prison for violently assaulting a DC Police officer on Capitol grounds during the riot. A month earlier, Thomas Robertson, who was an officer with the Rocky Mount Police Department in Virginia at the time of his arrest, was sentenced to seven years in prison on multiple felony counts. Earlier this month, a former Tennessee sheriff’s deputy, Ronald Colton McAbee, was convicted of assaulting two officers during a prolonged melee at the entrance of the Capitol’s Lower West Terrace Tunnel.
https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/nati ... f729702362
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

So, Webster, Robertson, McAbee, and now Lee.

Considering how many cops there are within a day's drive of our nation's capital, that's a tiny number. And in a crowd of thousands of people, a low percentage were cops.

However, the cops that came, came to break heads. They've all been convicted - or charged - with crimes of great violence.

This validates what I've said for years: 98% of cops are great people who do a really hard job. Those last 2% make the headlines we see.

When I was a drug-smoking hippie, I didn't think too much of police officers in general. That was before I grew up. :towel:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
bob

Post by bob »

D.C. Circuit affirms Thomas Robertson's conviction and sentence for "corruptly" obstructing the electoral-vote count (in violation of 18 USC sec. 1512(c)(2)).

Notably, Judge Henderson (a Bush the Elder nominee) dissented, agreeing with Robertson that section 1512(c)(2) is unconstitutionally vague. This is teeing off a SCOTUS challenge.

Too also notable is Henderson rather prosaic whitewashing of the facts: just normal tourists.
Image ImageImage
Jerry Mander

Post by Jerry Mander »

Poor little MAGA martyr Yvonne St Cyr has surrendered to prison.

Of course, she had to livestream about it and the story of her cocaine bust when she was a marine, so her history of poor decision making goes back a long way.

Boo hoo hoo. :crying: :crying:

Hope the prison offers psychiatric care. Yvonne needs it.

0860CB7B-11C8-4CE5-B06E-26AC5E41905D.jpeg
0860CB7B-11C8-4CE5-B06E-26AC5E41905D.jpeg (415.73 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Jerry Mander wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:38 am Poor little MAGA martyr Yvonne St Cyr has surrendered to prison.

Of course, she had to livestream about it and the story of her cocaine bust when she was a marine, so her history of poor decision making goes back a long way.

Boo hoo hoo. :crying: :crying:

Hope the prison offers psychiatric care. Yvonne needs it.

0860CB7B-11C8-4CE5-B06E-26AC5E41905D.jpeg
Those tears in her eyes are so sweet and delicious
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Appeals court upholds January 6 obstruction prosecution, in a ruling that could bolster case against Trump

By Katelyn Polantz, Senior Reporter, Crime and Justice, CNN
Published 2:05 PM EDT, Fri October 20, 2023

College win – a development that is a key factor of the DOJ’s obstruction cases against rioters.

Robertson argued in court that he shouldn’t face the obstruction charge because he hadn’t been acting corruptly, as the law requires. He also argued the law was too vague and was unconstitutional.

But the Friday ruling solidifies that his conviction and others like it can stand. In Robertson’s case, the court found he had broken the law in multiple ways, making it clear he acted corruptly.

“Where a defendant acts feloniously to obstruct a proceeding before the Congress, with no evidence or argument that he was merely engaged in peaceful expression, his culpability – i.e., the ‘corruptness’ of his actions – is not difficult to discern,” Judge Florence Pan of the DC Circuit wrote in the opinion.

Judge Nina Pillard agreed with the decision, while Judge Karen Henderson dissented.

Trump is separately charged under the same obstruction law and has pleaded not guilty. Trump is not personally accused of violence, as many rioters like Robertson were, and instead is accused of exploiting the Capitol riot as to derail the presidential transfer of power.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/10/20/poli ... index.html
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Whoah.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us ... fdd0&ei=20
US marshals cleared a courtroom after a Capitol rioter started a brawl with federal agents, reports say.
Vitali GossJankowski let out "guttural screams" while resisting agents, CBS News' Scott MacFarlane reported.
GossJankowski was ordered to go to jail while awaiting sentencing earlier this month.

A convicted Capitol rioter got into a fight with federal agents and security officials at a court appearance on Monday, prompting US marshals to clear the courtroom and rush the judge out, according to reporters who were in the courtroom.

Vitali GossJankowski, 34, was convicted of multiple felonies in March in connection to his actions during the deadly January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol.

But earlier this month, the feds asked a judge to revoke GossJankowski's release and order him to be placed in jail while awaiting sentencing. Federal officials accused GossJankowski of sending several threatening messages to a law enforcement officer who testified against him.

US District Judge Paul Friedman scheduled a hearing on the matter on Monday and ordered him to jail. But things devolved when GossJankowski refused to surrender to agents and resisted their efforts to handcuff him, CBS News' Scott MacFarlane reported.

"Judge has ordered Jan 6 defendant Vitali GossJankowski jailed immediately," CBS News' Scott MacFarlane wrote on X, the social media site formerly known as Twitter. "And GossJankowski begins resisting federal agents. Table is nearly toppled. He's resisting several agents."
US marshals quickly ordered the courtroom to be cleared as GossJankowski made "guttural screams" while trying to fight off the agents, MacFarlane wrote.
A bit moar at the link. Do I understand correctly that he has yet to be sentenced? That should go over well.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Yeah, his "I just got carried along in the excitement and think I should only get a $10 fine and patted on the head" speech at the sentencing hearing isn't going to work.

I'm also curious if he can be charged with something, even just contempt, for his little outburst. Nothing like adding another 5 years onto what you might have only gotten time served and probation for if you had just been nice.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Somehow I can imagine Trump reacting the same way if he ever faces being sentenced.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:17 pm Somehow I can imagine Trump reacting the same way if he ever faces being sentenced.
:rimshot:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

He'll be lucky if he isn't charged with new crimes for assaulting the marshals.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Foggy wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:29 pm He'll be lucky if he isn't charged with new crimes for assaulting the marshals.
Which, if you want to play piling on, is a crime of violence, after the other thing he was there for makes him a repeat offender and with those sentencing guideline enhancements is probably going to make his little 2 minute temper tantrum more costly than spending the whole day trying to overthrow democracy.

I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I'm gonna take the win and shut up.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Somebody doesn't want to be confined...
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:12 pm Somebody doesn't want to be confined...
Somebody is going to have to learn to live with disappointment.

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I'm a little concerned about the 'gutteral screams' part in context -- a good many deaf people (I believe other articles point out this guy is deaf and was a Gallaudet student) do end up with speech differences as well, right? Apparently, the guy reacted when the ASL interpreter started signing out the way things were heading and, yeah, freaked out.

At least, that's the version of the story I heard, and I think that social and psychological context is important. Does it *excuse* his attempts to flee violently? No, and I want to stress that I believe that. But it does make it seem less freakish and alien, I think, the idea that a terrified deaf person who has legitimately experienced the world differently than most may react to fear differently.

Just sayin'.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Excellent point, Ben.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”