💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
sugar magnolia

The 118th Congress with Kevin "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker /Clowns

Post by sugar magnolia »

They're quickly approaching a slate of people nobody has ever heard of.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

And this sanctimonious piece of crap would be second in line.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:26 am And this sanctimonious piece of crap would be second in line.
Third.
bob

Post by bob »

Chilidog wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:43 am
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:26 am And this sanctimonious piece of crap would be second in line.
Third.
"Second in the line of succession."
Image ImageImage
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Speaker math: Breaking down how many votes Johnson needs

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4259 ... press.coop
House GOP Speaker nominee Mike Johnson (R-La.) heads to the House floor at noon Wednesday for a House-wide floor election.

While momentum is in his favor, he is not yet assured to win on the House floor.

Here is how the process works and what he needs to win.

Johnson needs a majority of all members present and voting for a specific candidate in order to win the GOP nomination.

There are two vacancies in the House right now, due to resignations of one Republican (Chris Stewart of Utah) and one Democrat (David Cicilline of Rhode Island), making a total of 433 members. House Republicans have 221 members, while Democrats have 212.

That means a majority of the House right now is 217 members — the number often referenced as what Johnson needs to win the Speakership.

All voting Democrats are expected to vote for House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) for Speaker.

So, if more than four of the 221 Republicans defect from Johnson, he is below 217 and in hot water.

However, 217 is not the end-all-be-all magic number to win the Speakership. Members who are absent or vote “present” lower the threshold needed to win, since the winner is decided by all members voting for a specific candidate.

That is how ousted Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) won the Speakership on his 15th ballot in January with 216 votes; six “present” votes from Republicans lowered the threshold needed to win, even though a majority of the whole House was 218.

Because of the slim margins, Democrats have urged full attendance for all members, since their absences can affect the margins that Republicans need, too.

To find the “magic number” needed to win the Speakership if there are present votes and absences, take 433 and subtract the number of present votes and absences. Divide that number by two — and then count up to the next whole number.

But Johnson does not necessarily want to count on absences and “present” votes to win.

And he seems to have the wind at his back. Republican lawmakers running the gamut from moderate Rep. Mike Lawler (R-N.Y.) to hard-line conservative Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) say they support him.

He also got backing from two previous Speaker nominees — Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) and Judiciary Committee Chair Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) — as well as McCarthy.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Rep. Mike Johnson, a Republican of Louisiana, won the election to become the new speaker of the House on Wednesday, ending three weeks of chaos since Rep. Kevin McCarthy's historic ouster and taking his place as second in line for the presidency.

Johnson won the gavel with the support of all 220 Republicans in attendance, surpassing the 215-vote total that was required to win. All 209 Democrats in attendance voted for Rep. Hakeem Jeffries, the party's House leader.
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/ho ... 0-25-2023/
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:cantlook:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Speaker Johnson

• Architect of House GOP's efforts to overturn the 2020 election
• Voted AGAINST the Violence Against Women Act
• Voted AGAINST the Women's Health Protection Act
• Voted AGAINST bipartisan legislation to codify same-sex marriage
• Authored the federal Don't Say Gay legislation
• Co-sponsored legislation that would make it a felony for providers to perform gender affirming care

And so on and so forth...

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

He’s a constipational lawyer. :crazy:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Ladies and gentlemen ... we have a clown. :thumbsup:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

It was a gracious acceptance by Mike Johnson. His first words as Speaker: We'll find common ground.

In an previous interview in the tweet below, Mike Johnson says Democrats “are not the enemy”. Johnson: “We’re going to try to work with Democrats. Nancy Pelosi is a very kind & generous person. She’s been great to me.”

Here's Biden's statement:

Biden Johnson.png
Biden Johnson.png (51.71 KiB) Viewed 1804 times

There are a lot more issues within the GOP chaos caucus than with Democrats. We have checks on him in the Senate and Executive Branch. I'm being gracious as well, it's his first day. Maybe knowing the responsibility to all Americans (he addressed that and said he would), he'll moderate. I'm glad it's over and they need to get back to fu*king work.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper »

I love Gutsick_Gibbon:
GsG1.JPG
GsG1.JPG (83.01 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

I have friends who are like this. There is no talking to them on the subject. I knew they were born agains, but it took longer to realize this.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

NewMexGirl wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:03 am I’m emphatically opposed to Johnson. He’s far right on social issues; he’s a Trump-worshipping fuckwad. He has Trump’s approval as Speaker. That says it all. Don’t be fooled because he seems less incendiary than big mouths like Jim Jordan.

Any Dem who votes for him should be primaried up the wazoo.
Looking at the tallies, I do not think he got any (D) votes.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
bob

Post by bob »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:21 pm Looking at the tallies, I do not think he got any (D) votes.
Johnson did not.

Orlylicious: Should the title be updated? McCarthy seems effectively donezo for now.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

How about a new thread with Johnson?
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:18 pm How about a new thread with Johnson?
Good idea! Let’s call it Fucking Fuckwad Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House for a Few Miserable Days.
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

:clap:
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

NewMexGirl wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:30 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:18 pm How about a new thread with Johnson?
Good idea! Let’s call it Fucking Fuckwad Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House for a Few Miserable Days.
change approved.jpg
change approved.jpg (172.38 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Lansdowne

The 118th Congress with Fuc*ing Fuc*wad Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House for a Few /Clowns

Post by Lansdowne »

For the attention of the President and Commander in Chief, Chief Justice and Speaker Pro tempore of the Fogbow.

Dear Mr. Bow:

Enough already with this rewriting history by changing Topic titles.

This thread is about Congress and its Speaker McCarthy.

The demand for a new thread for Mr Johnson was reasonable. To respond to that proposal by changing the title of a thread with 1,970 posts about the McCarthy House retroactively is nonsensical.

We had the same nonsense with the thread titled "Twitter". It had the title changed so that appears to be a thread about the Musk renaming. Anyone looking for the general Twitter topic will not expect to find it with that title.

In the McCarthy case, it will be impossible to find this thread and posts about McCarthy from its completely wrong current title.

I can't understand why Fogbow members have a phobia over creating new threads for new topics.

With respect, Your Excellency, Generalissimo, Your Honor, Mr. Speaker, perhaps an Executive Order is in order?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

The 118th Congress with Fuc*ing Fuc*wad Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House for a Few /Clowns

Post by Slim Cognito »

Uh, if one searches for Twitter in the title, voila, there it is. It seems to be flourishing just fine, thank you. Also too, it's no longer Twitter.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:59 am Uh, if one searches for Twitter in the title, voila, there it is. It seems to be flourishing just fine, thank you. Also too, it's no longer Twitter.
Also, too, one no longer tweets. One deposits X-crement.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

Insurrectionist . . ? Check.

YEC . . ? Check

Election Denier . . ? Check.

Homophobe . . ? Check.

Theocrat . . ? Check.

Sniveling quisling Trumpsucker . . ? Check-check-double-check.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

The 118th Congress with McCarthy then Fuc*ing Fuc*wad Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House for a Few /Clowns

Post by Luke »

It was easy adding Kevin McCarthy back and you had a good point. I considered starting a Mike Johnson topic, but so much of what he's going to do will relate to his speaker responsibilities it seemed natural to leave it here. But a new topic on him would be cool with me too also.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Estiveo
Verified:

The 118th Congress with McCarthy then Fuc*ing Fuc*wad Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House /Clowns

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20231026_092603.jpg
Estiveoshot_20231026_092603.jpg (45.05 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Current Politics”