Assault on the Capitol (DC)

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by neonzx »

Paul Gosar@DrPaulGosar
They took her life. They could not take her pride. #onemoreinthenameoflove
This asshole tried to quote U2, which I'm sure is instantly recognizable by everyone.

In the Name of Love, FUK U.@@!!
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

You took her life , Gosar. You and everyone who told the Big Lie. You more than most.

That this monster stays in the R caucus after a post like that says it all.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

p0rtia wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:36 am You took her life , Gosar. You and everyone who told the Big Lie. You more than most.

That this monster stays in the R caucus after a post like that says it all.
As a forenner, :yeahthat:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Law & Crime
Accused U.S. Capitol Rioter Charged With Spraying and Prodding Police, Then Taunting Them About the Second Amendment
Accused U.S. Capitol Rioter Charged With Spraying and Prodding Police, Then Taunting Them About the Second Amendment
https://lawandcrime.com/u-s-capitol-sie ... amendment/
Reportedly in the crosshairs of a federal criminal investigation, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) shocked many by tweeting out hours before his party blocked an inquiry into the U.S. Capitol siege: “The Second Amendment is about the ability to maintain, within the citizenry, an armed rebellion against the government if that becomes necessary.”

A just-arrested U.S. Capitol rioter allegedly echoed similar sentiments to the police officers he allegedly assaulted on Jan. 6th.

“There is a second amendment behind us,” 34-year-old Sean Michael McHugh allegedly taunted officers, according to his criminal complaint. “What are you going to do then?”

Arrested on Friday, McHugh faces eight charges, including assaulting law enforcement with a deadly weapon.
DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten »

Why does Glenn Greenwald lie about Brian Sicknick's death and think his mother is fair game for this kind of smear?

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Because Glenn Greenwald is a garbage human?
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:07 am Because Glenn Greenwald is a garbage human?

I would say so. I also don't understand how the coroner could reach the conclusion that it was natural causes.

How could it be possible that he could be attacked like he was and die of something unrelated a day later? That makes no sense.

Know that the natural causes determination would be used to whitewash the insurrection, it was extremely irresponsible of the coroner to reach that conclusion.
fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:23 am
fierceredpanda wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:07 am Because Glenn Greenwald is a garbage human?

I would say so. I also don't understand how the coroner could reach the conclusion that it was natural causes.

How could it be possible that he could be attacked like he was and die of something unrelated a day later? That makes no sense.

Know that the natural causes determination would be used to whitewash the insurrection, it was extremely irresponsible of the coroner to reach that conclusion.
I'll go further than "irresponsible." I will go to my grave believing that the coroner's determination was fixed in advance to get the prosecutors off the hook from having to charge anyone with murder of a federal law enforcement officer, which is a death penalty offense. I am thoroughly convinced that the DOJ during the transition did not want this already highly-political case to become even more so by having to sort through everything and attempt to prosecute and convict a capitol murder charge.

If someone gets hit on the head, then throws a clot the next day and dies of a stroke, that's not "natural causes." That's homicide. Plenty of convictions have been secured upon less.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:31 pm Why does Glenn Greenwald lie about Brian Sicknick's death and think his mother is fair game for this kind of smear?
Glenn Greenwald was at a time a good journalist. Then he fell off the rails. Senility?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

He hasnt been a good journalist in all the time I have been aware of him. He's an out an out narcisist who think he is cleverer than anyone else, and if he says something the proof will magically appear. When he was with the Guardian the paper was forced to issue retractions of his stories all the time. But any critisism of the man would result in his fanatical supports hounding the critic.

Few people remember that after the Snowden thing GG pushed out his favorite theory - that the US was spying on the EU and was eeeevil. Because it was GG, the papers pushed the story without hesitation - only to find egg on their faces when it turned out the document GG relied on for his proof was actually talking about the EU giving intel to the NSA for analysis. Glenners, true to form, turned around and blamed Der Speigel for getting the story wrong and denied that he was at fault, even though Der Speigel and a french Newspaper were adamant the story was all from GG.

Then they took a closer look at what he was saying about the Snowden stuff and they found that a most was completely wrong, made up, and the documents didnt support what he was saying. At which point the pepers stopped having anything to do with Glenn Greenwald.

He's an arrogant ass who is convinced he is always right, everyone else is wrong, and is an unwitting pawn of Russian intelligence who play him like a fiddle and use him to spread their propoganda. And ya he is a gay icon. So what? Your icon is flawed, get a better icon.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I pulled a search for Herr Greenwald on the Little Green footballs site, which should give you plenty of evidence that the guy has been a Titanic knob for the past 15 years.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/search/ ... 22&x=1&y=1
Hic sunt dracones
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Titanic knob” :rotflmao:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Suranis wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:04 am ... the guy has been a Titanic knob for the past 15 years.
'Course, Fogbow has been around almost 15 years. Coincidence? I THINK NOT. :boxing:
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

Suranis wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:04 am I pulled a search for Herr Greenwald on the Little Green footballs site, which should give you plenty of evidence that the guy has been a Titanic knob for the past 15 years.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/search/ ... 22&x=1&y=1
Suranis, I know you and I don't always see eye to eye, and that sometimes I'm a bit harsh to you. For that, I apologize. However, on this subject, you and I are in complete agreement. I don't think I will ever get over the shame of once thinking of Greenwald as a serious journalist. "Titanic knob" is exactly the right phrase for him.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:29 am

I'll go further than "irresponsible." I will go to my grave believing that the coroner's determination was fixed in advance to get the prosecutors off the hook from having to charge anyone with murder of a federal law enforcement officer, which is a death penalty offense. I am thoroughly convinced that the DOJ during the transition did not want this already highly-political case to become even more so by having to sort through everything and attempt to prosecute and convict a capitol murder charge.

If someone gets hit on the head, then throws a clot the next day and dies of a stroke, that's not "natural causes." That's homicide. Plenty of convictions have been secured upon less.
That is exactly what I believe, but allow me to add this:

IANAD but I've transcribed plenty of ER Reports and autopsies. As I recall, Officer Sicknick suffered a stroke caused by a blood clot in the back of his neck (and if that's not correct, please let me know). If Officer Sicknick never had any screening of the back of his neck, it cannot be stated with 100% certainty the clot wasn't already there.

But even if that was the case, you'll will also never convince me the beating didn't break the clot loose. Whether or not you could convince a jury is beyond me.

(Congenital blood clots have been known to form there, well anywhere, and stay dormant for years, but the back of the neck is especially vulnerable. I know a fellow who suffered a stroke at the age of 35 because of just such a situation. Whether that clot was congenital or the result of a lesser traumatic injury not requiring medical attention will never be known, but one day it broke lose and almost took him out. But the acute stroke itself was not the result of trauma.)
ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm pretty sure there have been cases when someone was initially charged with an assault and then, when the victim died even years later from medical issues arising from the original assault, the charge was later changed to murder. I don't see how Sicknick's death is any different, but that natural causes finding means no one will ever be charged with murder.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Our state allows a coroner's determination to be challenged in court. I'll bet DC has a similar law.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

..but the back of the neck is especially vulnerable.
Those hair washing basins at salons have been known to cause injury, especially to older women.

At the very beginning of the last administration Emptywheel thought Greenwd had gone Russian. Wouldn’t surprise me a’tall.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

SuzieC wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:34 am

Our state allows a coroner's determination to be challenged in court. I'll bet DC has a similar law.
Wouldn't this be under federal law? I assume he was being charged in federal court, not DC Superior Court.
101010 :towel:
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Kate520 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:30 pm At the very beginning of the last administration Emptywheel thought Greenwd had gone Russian. Wouldn’t surprise me a’tall.
Marcy still thinks Glenn is a Russian asset:
https://www.emptywheel.net/2021/05/21/ ... d-snowden/
bob

Post by bob »

SuzieC wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:34 am
northland10 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:33 pmOur state allows a coroner's determination to be challenged in court. I'll bet DC has a similar law.
Wouldn't this be under federal law? I assume he was being charged in federal court, not DC Superior Court.
Regardless of where tried, the coroner's determination is (to paraphrase the Dude) "like your opinion man." In any court case in which there's a dispute surrounding the cause of death, the opposing party may (and usually does) present a competing expert with a different opinion. In other words, the coroner's determination may carry a presumption, but it isn't preclusive.

In most homicides, of course, it is the defense that presents a competing expert, whom the prosecutor routinely disparages as a hired-gun quack. But there's nothing to prevent these roles from being reversed.
Image ImageImage
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:27 pm
Kate520 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:30 pm At the very beginning of the last administration Emptywheel thought Greenwd had gone Russian. Wouldn’t surprise me a’tall.
Marcy still thinks Glenn is a Russian asset:
https://www.emptywheel.net/2021/05/21/ ... d-snowden/
Off Topic
A good piece, although I disagree with Marcy's theorizing about Putin using Snowden as a bargaining chip with Biden. I disagree for 2 big reasons:

1) The Russians do not send back defectors, and neither does anyone else. Doing so would mean no one in the future would defect to your side, because the one thing would-be defectors fear is being sent back to the country from which they defected. The Soviets could have earned way more credit with the US and UK by sending back Kim Philby, for instance, than Putin would stand to gain by sending back Snowden, because...
2) What makes anyone think the US actually wants Snowden returned? I'm dead serious. Whatever the Russians were going to extract from him, they've already extracted. So that ship has sailed, and nothing short of a time machine is going to undo it. Does the DOJ actually want to put him on trial (and Snowden is exactly the sort of person that would go to trial) and risk an acquittal making the US government look either stupid, ineffectual, or both? Not a chance. Hell, the trial itself might result in more disclosures of information that the government does not want to become public. So I'm pretty sure if Putin offered to bring Snowden (complete with gift wrapping and a bow) to a summit, Biden would decline the offer. Better at this point for Snowden to be in exile than for him to actually face justice. At least, that's how I see it.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/30/politics ... index.html

(
CNN)The Justice Department has added four new defendants to the federal criminal conspiracy case against Oath Keepers who allegedly prepared for and took part in the US Capitol riot, according to a new indictment made public in DC District Court on Sunday.

The newly named Oath Keeper defendants are Joseph Hackett, who went by "Ahab," Jason Dolan, who went by "Turmoil," and William Isaacs, all from Florida. A fourth new defendant's name and alleged actions are still redacted.

The Oath Keeper defendants are all accused of taking part in the conspiracy as well as entering the restricted grounds of the Capitol.
The case is the largest against any of the far-right extremist groups that participated in the pro-Trump siege on January 6. Prosecutors have gradually built out the case almost weekly, dropping additional details of how the group allegedly brought guns to a hotel in Virginia to back them up on January 6, and communicated during the insurrection.
:snippity:
Oath Keepers leader Stewart Rhodes continues to be called "Person One" in the court records, indicating he has not been charged, and a few other unindicted co-conspirators also still exist in the case.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NEW: US Justice Dept has notified attorneys for Jan 6 defendant Michael Lopatic of Pennsylvania that it has compiled 19 pages of medical records of an injured DC police officer

Lopatic is accused of "pummeling" officer, throwing uppercut punches, assaulting officer in the head

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”