💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

The 118th Congress with Kevin "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker /Clowns

Post by Reality Check »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:05 pm :snippity:
That's a safe R district, yes?
McCarthy was redistricted from the 23rd to the 20th Cong. district but still won 67% - 33% in 2022.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

An interesting bit of speculation during conversation Nicholle just had with Zoe Lofgren. Remember how he first condemned the insurrection and tfg and then went 180 and kissed the ring? Now that he's been tossed as speaker and on his way out, might he turn tail again and start talking about what he know? Pure speculation, but interesting to wonder about :biggrin:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Well that was fun while it lasted.
https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/stat ... 49627?s=20
Scott MacFarlane @MacFarlaneNews wrote: FLASH: Rep Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) says he’s finishing his term. And will run for re-election
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Not very stable in their opinions these Republicans. :biggrin:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:58 pm Politico article on that.
Kevin McCarthy considers resigning from the House before the end of his term
The deposed former speaker has made clear he plans to stay at least through the speakership election before ending his House career, two people familiar with the matter tell POLITICO.
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/10/0 ... s-00120381
"Considers" and "has made clear" were doing a hell of a lot of work in those sentences.

I'm pretty much at the stage that unless its a direct quote I just assume its the press at best reporting rumors, or at worst outright speculating based on Tealeaf patterns. Either way, its probably bullshit.
Hic sunt dracones
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:19 pm Trump not participating? ;)
Surprise special guest call-in star. :roll:
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Kendra wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:55 pm CNN reporting on air right now that McCarthy is expected to step down from Congress. Not immediately, but it's supposed to happen.
There is a big check waiting on him on K Street. "Screw this, I'm going to Disney World"
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Gregg wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:07 pm
Kendra wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:55 pm CNN reporting on air right now that McCarthy is expected to step down from Congress. Not immediately, but it's supposed to happen.
There is a big check waiting on him on K Street. "Screw this, I'm going to Disney World"
If only you meant that literally and we could be treated to the sight of Mickey's Kevin and Governor Puddin' Hands headbutting each other into unconsciousness.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Oh gosh, I have loathed Disney stuff since I was a young child; it felt like creepiness rolled in sugar, others' opinions differ, but for me, yuk.

So the idea of a Koch-financed GopWorld theme park grabs deep and sharp at my entrails! Back in The Twilight Zone:

≈ ≈ ≈ wibble wobble ≈ ≈ ≈

You walk cautiously along the path, that sense of trepidation squeezed into a knot in your stomach. What's that? Squidgy footsteps approaching around the corner behind the model of a burning Capitol. Which costumed foamy horror might it be? Lindellella? No, the footsteps are too quiet for MySlippers. Goofiliani? Sniff, sniff, no, can't smell whiskey. Oh donald fuck, there's an orange glow – it can only be Trumbo!

Run! Run! For the sake of humanity, ruuuunnn!!!
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I wasn't saying he would work for Disney, although that would be fun. I was saying, and maybe this is an American thing "I just won a big thing and what am I doing now? I'm going to Disney World!"

or a few years they tried to catch the winning star of the Super Bowl running off the field to say it, and of course Disney pays for the whole family...they might still do . It started when one just said it and Disney was glad to have him and now, they do it for many large events, World Cup, Olympic Medals, NBA finals...its a bonus prize and Disney more or less picks up the tab in exchange for the free commercial.

So Kevin just started getting an extra 0 or 3 on his paycheck, and he's going to Disney World.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

House lawmakers discuss how to address intelligence briefings on Israel without speaker

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/07/politics ... index.html
The US could announce new assistance to Israel as soon as Sunday, a US official said, but without a sitting House speaker, administration officials are unclear about what can be accomplished.

“Without a speaker of the House, that is a unique situation we’re gonna have to work through,” the official said.

McHenry has extremely limited powers as the temporary speaker of the House.

Committees can still continue to operate, but McHenry cannot bring bills or even nonbinding resolutions to the floor.
He is mostly responsible for overseeing the election of a new speaker, which means recessing, adjourning or recognizing nominations on the floor.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:12 am House lawmakers discuss how to address intelligence briefings on Israel without speaker

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/07/politics ... index.html
McHenry has extremely limited powers as the temporary speaker of the House.

Committees can still continue to operate, but McHenry cannot bring bills or even nonbinding resolutions to the floor.
He is mostly responsible for overseeing the election of a new speaker, which means recessing, adjourning or recognizing nominations on the floor.
I thought I'd read that as the temporary speaker he have almost the same powers as the regular dude and that they could conceivably go until Jan of 25 without actually having to elect a new one and it wouldn't affect getting their business done. This sounds totally different.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Gregg wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:57 am I was saying, and maybe this is an American thing "I just won a big thing and what am I doing now? I'm going to Disney World!"
bob

Post by bob »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:26 amI thought I'd read that as the temporary speaker he have almost the same powers as the regular dude and that they could conceivably go until Jan of 25 without actually having to elect a new one and it wouldn't affect getting their business done. This sounds totally different.
As this article suggests, no one really knows (as we're in uncharted waters), but: (1) if there continues to be a vacuum, there will be an incentive for someone to attempt to fill it (somehow); and (2) a majority could always vote to change the rules to create "clarity," if such clarity is needed to effectuate action.

The key is the Speaker pro tem. may take "necessary and appropriate" action -- but this term has no definition. If business grinds to a halt, enough people may acquiesce to "necessary and appropriate" being, well, running the House like an elected Speaker would.

It appears the rule as written does confer slightly more power to an elected/approved-of Speaker pro tem. (than one merely designated), but those powers are relatively minor.

And it would appear this Speaker pro tem. believes he can do more than just call for an election: he kicked members out reassigned office assignments.
Image ImageImage
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

bob wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:20 pm The key is the Speaker pro tem. may take "necessary and appropriate" action -- but this term has no definition.
There seem to be various possible reasons why the rules much be so framed.

Perhaps the rulemakers thought "hey, it's just to tide the House over for a few days, they don't need anything complex"?

Or "if we tie a pro temper down with a web of rules that might result in undesirable consquences, or contradictions"?

Or "there will be enough mature and sensible members of the House to sort out the details"?

Whichever way, they either didn't anticipate properly the arrival of modern idiocrats in the wrecking wing of the Republican Party. Or they thought "if it goes pear-shaped in the future, that won't be our fault, let the pear-shapers sort it out."
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bob wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:20 pm And it would appear this Speaker pro tem. believes he can do more than just call for an election: he kicked members out reassigned office assignments.
Thanks bob!
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Gregg wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:57 am I wasn't saying he would work for Disney, although that would be fun. I was saying, and maybe this is an American thing "I just won a big thing and what am I doing now? I'm going to Disney World!"

or a few years they tried to catch the winning star of the Super Bowl running off the field to say it, and of course Disney pays for the whole family...they might still do . It started when one just said it and Disney was glad to have him and now, they do it for many large events, World Cup, Olympic Medals, NBA finals...its a bonus prize and Disney more or less picks up the tab in exchange for the free commercial.

So Kevin just started getting an extra 0 or 3 on his paycheck, and he's going to Disney World.
I have heard that, in the case of the Super Bowl, for example, Disney hedges their bet by paying BOTH starting QB's to say that, if they win. Then, after the game, they simply use the one from the team that actually did win. Supposedly, the deal is, if you win, keep your eyes peeled for a cameraman wearing Mickey Mouse ears (or some other identifying symbol), smile, look at the camera and say "I'm going to Disney World".
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:26 am I thought I'd read that as the temporary speaker he have almost the same powers as the regular dude and that they could conceivably go until Jan of 25 without actually having to elect a new one and it wouldn't affect getting their business done. This sounds totally different.
I definitely remember hearing that, as well. Someone questioned whether the house was back to the situation they were in in January, when absolutely no business could be conducted until a new speaker was elected.

Someone else replied that the difference is that, in January, since it was a new congress, with a newly minted Republican majority, there was no speaker or anyone authorized to act as speaker. The new rules that were adopted in the wake of McCarthy's election specified that the designated member, in this case, Rep. McHenry had all the authority of the actual speaker.
McHenry’s authority is determined by House Rule I, Clause 8(b)(3), which was put in place in 2003 and which reads, in part:

“In the case of a vacancy in the Office of Speaker, the next Member on the list described in subdivision (B) shall act as Speaker pro tempore until the election of a Speaker or a Speaker pro tempore. Pending such election the Member acting as Speaker pro tempore may exercise such authorities of the Office of Speaker as may be necessary and appropriate to that end.”
Of course, McHenry may chose inaction, or be brow-beaten into inaction, using the excuse that "I'm only acting speaker". IOW, he may be too timid to push the untested limits of the authority given him by the new rules. After all, if he allows a bill to come to the floor, or, heaven forbid, allows negotiations with the WH and the dems regarding a budget, he may find himself persona non grata when the new, permanent, speaker is finally elected. So, he may chose to do nothing, even if the rules say he can.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Is the Squeaker Pro-Tem still in the same jeopardy of getting voted out, as the elected speaker was?
As I read it it appears he “shall act as speaker” until a new speaker is voted in. Is he secure in that role as long as nobody gets a majority vote for speaker?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Is there any mechanism for removing him from his acting role other than electing another speaker?

Does he even need to continue to be in Congress to continue acting?
(Eg him being expelled from Congress)
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Reddog wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:34 am Is the Squeaker Pro-Tem still in the same jeopardy of getting voted out, as the elected speaker was?
As I read it it appears he “shall act as speaker” until a new speaker is voted in. Is he secure in that role as long as nobody gets a majority vote for speaker?
Well, McCatharsis was in the chair because of a deal he made with Gaetz et al which allowed any single person to bring up a vote for his removal. This squeaker was put there via the normal rules of the house. Now I have no Doubt that this guy's name was put down by McCart because he is an obnoxious dickhead and McCartbeforethehorse could tell everyone "If he goes this guy will become speaker and this is a bad thing so keep me around" but in my view that now means that removing his ass would require the normal methods of Sneaker removal.
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

“Squeaker” McCarthasis” :rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bob

Post by bob »

Reddog wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:34 am Is the Squeaker Pro-Tem still in the same jeopardy of getting voted out, as the elected speaker was?
The way I read it, the Speaker pro tem. could be subject to a motion to vacate, and if successful, the next person on the list would become Speaker pro tem.

Given that the Speaker doesn't have to be a member, I think if the Speaker pro tem. resigned from the House (or was expelled), they would still be Speaker pro tem.

The Speaker pro tem. could resign from that position but remain a House member.
Image ImageImage
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

It may have been mentioned already, but there were multiple names on the list for Pro Tem, so if he resigns or gets kicked out, the clerk would give the next name on the list.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya, I agree.
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Current Politics”