Meteoroids are making the Earth bigger?

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:confuzzled:
An estimated 25 million meteoroids, micrometeoroids and other space debris enter Earth's atmosphere each day, which results in an estimated 15,000 tonnes of that material entering the atmosphere each year. - Wikipedia
Where is all the rubber that has been rubbed off of used automobile tires (tyres, sorry not sorry) since we started driving cars? :confuzzled:

Fifteen thousand tonnes is a lot of tonnes. :shock:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Foggy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:17 pm :confuzzled:
An estimated 25 million meteoroids, micrometeoroids and other space debris enter Earth's atmosphere each day, which results in an estimated 15,000 tonnes of that material entering the atmosphere each year. - Wikipedia
Where is all the rubber that has been rubbed off of used automobile tires (tyres, sorry not sorry) since we started driving cars? :confuzzled:

One could say, "That's a ton of tonnes!"
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

And a ton of meteoroids, micrometeoroids, and other junk hitting the atmosphere every day! Every dang day!

Which also means that one a these days something big is coming, and then look out!
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Do not forget to include the downfall off chemtrails :twisted:
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Off Topic
Foggy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:17 pm :confuzzled:

:snippity:

It is an actual problem. I can’t recall the source, probably Scientific American maybe in the 80s probably, correlating tire particle size with the rise of asthma after the change to radial tires.
If I recall correctly, the paper stated that radial tires have smaller wear particles than the older bias ply tires, because reasons. The smaller particles were more likely to lodge, and stay in the lungs.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I remember asking this question back in High School - nobody wanted to even hint at an answer. We weren't really aware of microplastics and the trouble they cause back then. I wish I'd thought about working up a Science Fair project about it back then.

This article is a year old, but I just saw a video reporting on a current ongoing study the other day - I can't find that.

Tire particle pollution may be harming freshwater and estuary ecosystems
A 2017 study estimated that 1.5 million metric tons of tire particles enter the U.S. environment every year. Further, it calculated that tire particles account for five to 10 percent of ocean plastic pollution.

This one is from last June: Why tires — not tailpipes — are spewing more pollution from your cars
Has everybody heard about the bird?

Return to “Astronomy”