UAW Strike - United Auto Workers v Stellantis Ford and General Motors

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Hoping this can be settled soon but it's a tough lift. UAW members want a wage increase of 40% over 4 years.

I am STRONGLY PRO UNION and PRO LABOR, always have been. I first got my Actors Equity (Broadway's actors) and SAG Screen Actors Guild / AFTRA American Federation of Television and Radio Actors as a teen. The GOP's union busting efforts was one reason they left me as a voter. I support the UAW members, but 40% for 150,000 workers based on a few CEO's pay seems high but solvable.
Haven’t been paying attention to the UAW strike? What you need to know:

Time has run out to avert a strike at America’s unionized automakers. The United Auto Workers contracts expired at 11:59 pm ET on Thursday. The contracts covered 145,000 UAW members at the three companies: General Motors, Ford and Stellantis, which builds vehicles under the Jeep, Ram, Dodge and Chrysler brands for North America.
Based on their latest reports, Ford and GM are now offering a 20% raise during the life of the contract, and Stellantis is offering 17.5%. The union started with a demand for an immediate 20%, and four additional raises of 5% each over the course of a four-year deal.
GM CEO Mary Barra sent a letter to employees Thursday saying the company’s latest offer now include a 20% raise, with an immediate 10% pay hike. The lower paid temporary employees would get $20 an hour, which represents at 20% raise from current $16.67 an hour they receive. “We are working with urgency and have proposed yet another increasingly strong offer with the goal of reaching an agreement tonight. Remember: we had a strike in 2019 and nobody won,” she said in the letter.
Ford CEO Jim Farley told CNN the offer from Ford of a 20% raise over the life of the contract is the most lucrative offer the company has made to the union in the 80 years it has been there. But he said meeting the union’s demands of close to a 40% raise, along with a four-day work week and other benefit improvements, would have been unaffordable. Farley blamed the union for the lack of progress in negotiations. But the union has blamed the companies for waiting until the end of August or early September to make their first counteroffers.

The union came up with the 40% raise request based on the increase in the pay of CEOs at the three automakers over the last four years. Ford CEO pay rose 21%, from $17 million for Farley’s predecessor Jim Hackett in 2019, to $21 million for Farley last year. (Farley is the lowest compensated of the three CEOs.) Ford has not had a national strike since 1976 and has not had a strike of any kind at its US plants since 1978.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/14/business ... index.html

Even some of the UAW guys think it's too much:
[Garry Quick, the president of Local 685 In Kokomo Indiana] Quick sunk into his seat inside a conference room in the union hall and thumbed his phone before looking back up at the TV. A CNN chyron read: “AUTOWORKERS ON BRINK OF HISTORIC WALKOUT”.

Had [Shawn Fain, President of the UAW[ Fain asked for too much? A 40 percent wage increase over the next four years?

“I think he did,” Quick said. “And I think he set high standards and I think everybody knows that you gotta shoot high and then you can always go lower. In the past, we’ve always set low and we’ve settled for crumbs.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/09/1 ... n-00116207

Lots of DOOM stories about President Biden. But where the hell is the GOP? What is the House doing? Oh, right, they can't even pass ONE of ELEVEN budgets, due end of September, and obsessed over non-politician Hunter Biden. What a joke the Republican Party has become. We need a robust two party system in America.

Word is Bernie Sanders may be heading to Detroit in solidarity. Democrats have to get this worked out, there's too much at stake for the economy and the party's reputation.

President Biden is talking with both sides. They're missing Marty Walsh, the former Labor Secretary, he was very effective. To me, this seems solvable with a compromise; if they get to 25% or 30% would it be worth it to keep striking? Biden is going to be speaking later today.

Thought we should have a topic because now that they went out, it may be a while and there will be a lot of news.

Gregg, would be really interested to hear your thoughts on this (and anyone else involved with the motor car industry).
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Barack Obama @BarackObama wrote: Fourteen years ago, when the big three automakers were struggling to stay afloat, my administration and the American people stepped in to support them. So did the auto workers in the UAW who sacrificed pay and benefits to help get the companies back on their feet. Now that our carmakers are enjoying robust profits, it’s time to do right by those same workers so the industry can emerge more united and competitive than ever.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Is Ford not one of the Big Three? Ford didn't get gubbermint bailout money. What is he saying?
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
tek

Post by tek »

wasn't "bailout money" .. IIRC it was guaranteed loans, which were since paid off (I think early, in the case of Chrysler).
IIRC Ford was in a free-cash position where they didn't need the guarantees.. but pretty sure they still got the UAW concessions (I'm sure Gregg knows more)
raison de arizona

Gift link: https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/04/busi ... ticleShare

Details of the 2007/8 concessions.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:03 am :snippity:
Details of the 2007/8 concessions.
Thanks, I took a buyout in 2007. I was an electrician in an assembly plant. Great money and benefits at the time, but in the previous years I had been laid off twice. With SUB pay a layoff was really not bad, we still got 85% of base pay. Then they stopped COLA. I thought that was a mistake, because I learned from a previous employer that you never get it back when inflation rises again. The contracts were giving bonuses instead of base pay increases. This held base pay lower which affected other benefits, e.g. vacation pay.
The buyout I accepted was a lot of money at the time, but I (being skilled trades), had no problem finding a job. I still don’t.
The buyout greatly benefited the company, also. Every person taking a buyout, allowed the company to take a person off the job bank and return to work.
I didn’t miss the drive, it was 52 miles each way. I rode a motorcycle frequently weather permitting, and worried a lot about hitting a deer. Maybe’s post elsewhere reminded me of that.

I still get a pension, and the A-Plan if I buy a new car.
raison de arizona

Word on the street is that they are getting close with Ford, but the other two are still worlds apart.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status ... y4HyQ&s=19
No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen (@NoLieWithBTC)
The United Auto Workers has filed a labor complaint against Tim Scott for saying, “You strike, you’re fired.”

The statement by Scott is violates federal labor law since he is an employer and you cannot discriminate against employees for striking.

https://t.co/DcXt0Ensj0
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

Suranis wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:05 pm https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status ... y4HyQ&s=19
No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen (@NoLieWithBTC)
The United Auto Workers has filed a labor complaint against Tim Scott for saying, “You strike, you’re fired.”

The statement by Scott is violates federal labor law since he is an employer and you cannot discriminate against employees for striking.

https://t.co/DcXt0Ensj0
:resist:
“When I hear the phrase ‘live to fight another day,’ I want to literally beat the shit out of somebody,” Fain said. “It would drive me up a wall when I would hear a leader say ‘live another day.’ Another day came and went over and over and no one fought. This is our time. We call this our generation-defining moment. This is it. … The sky has to be the limit.”
raison de arizona

Biden joins the UAW picket line.
More Perfect Union @MorePerfectUS wrote: Joe Biden speaking to @UAW workers on the picket line:

"You deserve what you earned, and you've earned a hell of a lot more than you're getting paid now."
► Show Spoiler
raison de arizona

'Delusional': Trump slammed by auto workers for speech at non-union shop during strike

United Auto Workers union members blasted former President Donald Trump for planning to speak at a non-union shop during a strike this week.
:snippity:
"I don't understand how [Trump] can address union workers at a non-union facility and still come off as being pro-labor," Berg told the workers.

"I don't think that Trump is pro-labor," one of the men replied. "He's got a history, a very, very long sordid history of not paying his workers."

"He's got a lot of people kind of champing at the bit trying to get paid as it is now," he continued. "It's not paying his lawyers. So yeah, as far as labor is concerned, it doesn't matter where he goes to speak. None of us are going to believe it."
:snippity:
https://www.rawstory.com/delusional-tru ... ng-strike/
Video: https://rumble.com/v3l1swa-auto-workers ... trump.html
raison de arizona

This misquote (he said "as president" - clearly, not "in person") is making the rounds. They are so arrogant they even include the clip showing that they are lying.
Benny Johnson @bennyjohnson wrote: Joe Biden minutes after slipping on steps of Air Force One:

“I marched a lot of UAW picket lines when I was a Senator since 1973. But I tell you what— first time I’ve ever done it in person.”
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

DAMN. With my bad hearing even I heard “as president.”
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Also must hurt MAGA to see middle-aged and older white guys cheering.
raison de arizona

Fain takes it to tfg, calls out some lies.
CNN @CNN wrote: CNN’s @WolfBlitzer talks to United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain about former President Donald Trump’s planned trip to Michigan and if he would be willing to meet with Trump. Hear his response on @CNNSitRoom.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Good for him. :thumbsup:

Not Wolf Blitzer.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Union strong, video in spoiler.
► Show Spoiler
More Perfect Union @MorePerfectUS wrote: On a @UAW picket line in Michigan, workers held off scabs trying to enter a GM plant.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:33 pm This misquote (he said "as president" - clearly, not "in person") is making the rounds. They are so arrogant they even include the clip showing that they are lying.
https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status ... 71509?s=20
That's because they know their mouthbreathers wont click on the video anyway.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Agreed. The word preseident is quite clear.

Return to “Economy”