Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Covid home testing

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Covid home testing

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:41 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:32 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:19 pm I haven't checked the expiration dates on the four tests we have here. I guess I should do that.
I think they are considered good for at least a year past their expiration date.

I think this page is supposed to speak to this or have a link to find more information.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/cov ... stics-euas

Note: I say I think. :bag:
Yabbut, do those older tests detect the latest strain that has sweep the country? I still have two of the older test kits.
I wondered about that myself.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Covid home testing

Post by raison de arizona »

Yes, the old tests still detect the new strains.
  • Two new COVID variants—known as Pirola and Eris—are being monitored by health authorities.
  • COVID tests that are currently available should still detect these new variants, due to the test's original design that factored in mutations to the virus.
https://www.health.com/do-covid-tests-w ... ts-7967102
https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses ... 08-30.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Covid home testing

Post by AndyinPA »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:24 pm Yes, the old tests still detect the new strains.
  • Two new COVID variants—known as Pirola and Eris—are being monitored by health authorities.
  • COVID tests that are currently available should still detect these new variants, due to the test's original design that factored in mutations to the virus.
https://www.health.com/do-covid-tests-w ... ts-7967102
https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses ... 08-30.html
Thank you!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
much ado

Covid home testing

Post by much ado »

neonzx wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:41 pm Yabbut, do those older tests detect the latest strain that has sweep the country? I still have two of the older test kits.
Our son came down from Seattle for a visit last Friday, stayed with his sister in Oakland that night. We all went out for dinner Saturday evening. He was starting to feel bad, worse on Sunday. We gave him a Covid test: Positive. And then took him to a local Extended Stay America.

The expiration date on that test was 09/06/2023, which was 11 days before we tested him. So that old test was able to detect what he had. But of course, we don't know if he had one of the new variants.

Mrs ado tested positive on Tuesday; I tested negative, but we were both developing symptoms. We got Paxlovid from Kaiser. Mrs ado is still sick. About 24 hours after starting Paxlovid my symptoms stopped getting worse. Now, 48 hours after starting, all symptoms have subsided; cough, headache, sore throat are gone. I just feel generally sick. Mrs ado was having a bad headache before she started a nap an hour ago.

Daughter does not show symptoms, but she came down with Covid last fall when she came back from Berlin, so she might have some immunity. She thinks she picked it up at the Kit Kat Club.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Covid home testing

Post by AndyinPA »

I think one way to tell if it's new or old strain is the symptoms. The newer variant gives you a lot more stomach issues.

I hope you all feel better soon.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Covid home testing

Post by AndyinPA »

Just ordered my new home tests.

https://special.usps.com/testkits
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Covid home testing

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:21 pm Just ordered my new home tests.

https://special.usps.com/testkits
Thanks. Placed my order.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Covid home testing

Post by Luke »

Wishing your family all the best, Much Ado. Crosses fingers, still haven't gotten COVID and trying to be really careful.

Had a problem with the test kit site, it said:
This address has reached the current limit for test orders.
Our records show that the address you entered has already requested the maximum number of free at-home tests allowed. Under this program, addresses are eligible for one order of #4 free tests if your last order was before September 25, 2023. If you need more tests, please visit the COVIDTests.gov "Testing Resources" section.
That would mean somebody else used our address today? Don't think so :lol: It says to send an email and has a convenient form link on the page. Am sure it will work out but they must be overwhelmed. I'm so glad they are offering them again. There's still some confusion about the new booster, I'll ask at Walgreens tomorrow but I have to time mine with other meds I'm on.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
much ado

Covid home testing

Post by much ado »

I was able to order free Covid tests about five hours ago without problem.

We all seem to be out of the woods now. Mrs ado is much improved. We are all weakened. Our son has checked out of Extended Stay America and will be at home tonight. He is somewhat concerned about long-haul Covid. He did not receive Paxlovid like his parents did. Recent post about long Covid by Andy is very interesting. Son will be heading back north to Seattle in a day or two.

Hope you can stay Covid free.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Covid home testing

Post by AndyinPA »

Good news.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Covid home testing

Post by northland10 »

I will still be ordering new though a check of the 5 remaining ones I have shows the expiration dates have been extended and they are all still good.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Covid home testing

Post by AndyinPA »

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/4-free-co ... =104989775
Ahead of the approaching holidays and a potential rise in cases this winter, the government is once again allowing households to order a fresh wave of four COVID-19 tests for free online.

The website, covidtests.gov, remains one of the last remaining ways Americans can secure free at-home rapid test after the end of the public health emergency last spring ended the requirement for insurance companies to cover eight tests per month.

Over the past three years, the return of winter has also brought a resurgence of COVID-19. According to modeling data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, health officials are anticipating a similar number of hospitalizations this year as they saw last year, which topped nearly 45,000 per week at its peak.

The test ordering site relaunched last month, offering four tests per household, and will now offer an additional four tests per household for anyone who has already ordered -- or eight tests per household for anyone who hasn't placed an order yet this fall.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Covid home testing

Post by Foggy »

I won't disclose all the circumstances, but ol' Wifehorn had a Covid test last week, which was negative.
Out from under. :thumbsup:

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”