Music Free-for-all

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Music Free-for-all

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Shizzle -

My sister and I love, love, love the Metamorphosis II violin piece!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:42 am Shizzle -

I've always liked that piece as written for the piano but it's transformed by the violin. That's high on the list of favorite music I've heard this year.

ETA: The Glass piece can be found on her Mirror in Mirror album from 2018. Amazon has it as an import though a lot of the sellers have questionable reputations. It can also be found on the highly reputable Presto Music as a digital download at $12.50 for the standard FLAC version which is the route I'm going. With a couple of thousand albums and several places I listen to music all my physical media gets ripped to FLAC anyway.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/p ... -in-mirror
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer

Music Free-for-all

Thanks, Shizzle. I will also look for the piano music!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Music Free-for-all

Post by northland10 »

I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I rather like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass,
Shizzle Popped wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:01 am I've always liked that piece as written for the piano but it's transformed by the violin. That's high on the list of favorite music I've heard this year.
If you can do it on piano, or piano with violin, you can do it on organ.

In honesty, I would have taken it a bit slower than this performer.

Too also, Glass has to be approached differently than most music. In Western music, we tend to cheat the end of a measure or phrase, but that does not work with Philip Glass's music.

And if you can do it with Piano and Violin, or organ, you can do it with harp (not Rharon).

The tempo is working better for me.

Some people don't like the minimalist style of Glass, Arvo Pärt, and others but I find it can speak to me in a different way than other music. It is meditative yet has the ability also to create other emotions besides calm. You can still get angst, longing, fear, mourning, etc. You are not about listening to the entirety of the musical line, but really focused on the exact moment of time in the music.

My slight OCD probably enjoys it as well.
101010 :towel:
northland10

Music Free-for-all

Post by northland10 »

northland10 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:35 pm

I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I rather like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass, I like Philip Glass,
Shizzle Popped wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:01 am I've always liked that piece as written for the piano but it's transformed by the violin. That's high on the list of favorite music I've heard this year.
If you can do it on piano, or piano with violin, you can do it on organ.

In honesty, I would have taken it a bit slower than this performer.

Too also, Glass has to be approached differently than most music. In Western music, we tend to cheat the end of a measure or phrase, but that does not work with Philip Glass's music.

And if you can do it with Piano and Violin, or organ, you can do it with harp (not Rharon).

The tempo is working better for me.

Some people don't like the minimalist style of Glass, Arvo Pärt, and others but I find it can speak to me in a different way than other music. It is meditative yet has the ability also to create other emotions besides calm. You can still get angst, longing, fear, mourning, etc. You are not about listening to the entirety of the musical line, but really focused on the exact moment of time in the music.

With minimalist music like this, to enjoy it you can't just passively listen to it but internalize it, let it be come part of you.

My slight OCD probably enjoys it as well.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Music Free-for-all

Harp too, also! Hooray!!!

I introduced Laura to Hi, Ren and Violet’s Tale last night. She LOVED him.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by AndyinPA »

Both lovely, but I prefer the second one.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Music Free-for-all

His work is Bach like on the minimalist Bach pieces.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Music Free-for-all

Post by Frater I*I »

Moar classical for my Third Grandma [and my Fogbow Aunts] Beethoven's 5th

"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Frater I*I

Music Free-for-all

Post by Frater I*I »

And again, always for Third Grandma..

With eye candy because she like that sort of thing...

"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Frater I*I

Music Free-for-all

Post by Frater I*I »

Although my father forced me to play viola, it inspired me to play guitar, and this is the first song I learned, for a girl, her name was Sarah..

Trent Reznor
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

I've always liked that song's 60's vibe. It sounds like something the Beatles would have produced.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

OK, recently there's been a bit of discussion about great cover versions, like "All Along The Watchtower" on sites I read (including the Fogbow of course).

While Hendrix "Watchtower" is the undisputed champion of champions of cover versions, I was reminded of number two this afternoon when Creedence Clearwater Revival came up on my car audio system. So without further ado heeeeeeeerrrrrrssssss Number TWO: (as always, setting your volume controls to eleven will reward you with best results)

ETA: This could be a candidate for the "Its All About The Bass" - Ike doesn't get as low as some, but he sure does contribute to its success.

ETA: I guess all this volume and ETA stuff could be regarded as "further ado". So I lied. Sue me. (I guess that's the wrong thing to say with all the IAAL's around here, so don't sue me.

Has everybody heard about the bird?
qbawl

Music Free-for-all

Post by qbawl »

qbawl

Music Free-for-all

Post by qbawl »

qbawl

Music Free-for-all

Post by qbawl »

Tiredretiredlawyer

Music Free-for-all

Thank you, qbawl!! Loved it!!! I have a new song to learn!!!!!!
bill_g

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

qbawl wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:19 pm https: //youtu.be/-y_YM1ikva0
The Boogie Woogie was stupid fun. Thank you.

And she does it in heels!!
northland10

Music Free-for-all

Post by northland10 »

Bach did Boogie, too..

And Big band

bill_g

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

That was interesting. Thanks Northland. The Big Band version sounds like they recorded the organ separate from the rest. IE: the background was dead behind the brass while the organ had room acoustics. I wonder what it would sound like all together in the same space.
qbawl

Music Free-for-all

Post by qbawl »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by AndyinPA »

The big band Bach was cool.

There are bands in Bolivia and Peru that play classical music with Andean instruments, which is cool. We have several CDs that we bought there, but I haven't been able to find any examples online. I haven't looked for a while, though.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Music Free-for-all

Post by Kendra »

Just this year, John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads" was selected by the Library Of Congress for preservation in the National Recording Registry. Watch the amazing Six-String Soldiers perform it.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
qbawl

Music Free-for-all

Post by qbawl »

qbawl

Music Free-for-all

Post by qbawl »

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”