Political Toons

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Sam the Centipede

Political Toons

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Ah, just for the money, or is there some obscure reason why meth heads would find catalytic converters especially attractive?

I know little to nothing of methamphetamine or the pastimes and travails of its adherents.
pipistrelle

Political Toons

Post by pipistrelle »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:00 am Ah, just for the money, or is there some obscure reason why meth heads would find catalytic converters especially attractive?

I know little to nothing of methamphetamine or the pastimes and travails of its adherents.
Money
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Political Toons

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:00 am Ah, just for the money, or is there some obscure reason why meth heads would find catalytic converters especially attractive?

I can't remember which, but some part in the catalytic converter is worth a lot if you sell it to the 'right' people. It's like people who are stripping cars and anything else they can of copper wiring. Scrap copper is very valuable. But I don't think it's copper that's in the catalytic converters.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Political Toons

Post by jez »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:31 am

I can't remember which, but some part in the catalytic converter is worth a lot if you sell it to the 'right' people. It's like people who are stripping cars and anything else they can of copper wiring. Scrap copper is very valuable. But I don't think it's copper that's in the catalytic converters.
They're rich in precious metals, such as platinum, palladium, and rhodium. You can get a few hundred dollars for a single converter.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Political Toons

Post by Shizzle Popped »

jez wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:36 am

They're rich in precious metals, such as platinum, palladium, and rhodium. You can get a few hundred dollars for a single converter.
And they can be cut out of the exhaust system in less than 2 minutes.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Sam the Centipede

Political Toons

:thumbsup: Thanks for the insights – clearly some Fogfolk have greater knowledge of criminality than do I! :biggrin:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Political Toons

Post by AndyinPA »

It's been a thing around here lately. Very quick money; very easy to do. You can have installed a system so that they cannot (at least so easily) take it off, but it's expensive. Not nearly as expensive as replacing a stolen one, though.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Political Toons

Post by Frater I*I »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:50 am :thumbsup: Thanks for the insights – clearly some Fogfolk have greater knowledge of criminality than do I! :biggrin:
I wasn't always the upstanding member of the community that I am today....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Political Toons

Post by Shizzle Popped »

qmbpysvhu0qb1.jpg
qmbpysvhu0qb1.jpg (119.83 KiB) Viewed 506 times
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Political Toons

Post by Shizzle Popped »

mkxzxvjthwpb1.jpg
mkxzxvjthwpb1.jpg (117.28 KiB) Viewed 507 times
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Political Toons

Post by Shizzle Popped »

ysz90dpkx0qb1 copy.jpg
ysz90dpkx0qb1 copy.jpg (75.36 KiB) Viewed 505 times
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Political Toons

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Attachment.jpeg
Attachment.jpeg (63.07 KiB) Viewed 505 times
John Adams
Gregg

Political Toons

Post by Gregg »

bill_g wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:18 pm I had to look that one up. I had not heard he was speaking to a women's conservative group over the weekend when he claimed you need an ID to buy bread. Absurd. You would think at least one person in attendence had purchased bread in the last week. Why no one in the audience challenged him is beyond me.
Once he said it, they believed it. If they don't get carded the just feel they got lucky or the clerk knows them.

Hell, don't they see that almost everyone uses self checkout now anyway?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Political Toons

Post by Gregg »

About $350-600 worth of platinum mostly but other metals too in them. To a talented meth head who can cut one out in under 5 minutes, he can get about $100 bucks from underground markets where the are people with the skills to get the valuable metals out. It has to be almost refined, it's not "that shiny part there".

In the factory they're usually installed with clamps but in heavy trucks (our gas powered Super Duty, diesels don't use them) they are welded. The people selling the "harder to steal" are simply welding then in, which really doesn't matter to most meth heads who use a sawz-all and don't often carry a set of wrenches, different size sockets and stuff anyhow.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Political Toons

Post by RTH10260 »

Gregg wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:25 am
bill_g wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:18 pm I had to look that one up. I had not heard he was speaking to a women's conservative group over the weekend when he claimed you need an ID to buy bread. Absurd. You would think at least one person in attendence had purchased bread in the last week. Why no one in the audience challenged him is beyond me.
Once he said it, they believed it. If they don't get carded the just feel they got lucky or the clerk knows them.

Hell, don't they see that almost everyone uses self checkout now anyway?
Here in my corner of the world when you checkout alcoholic drinks the machine requests you call the supervisor to confirm your age is 18+. I conclude that in vour corner of the world the bread pass must also get verified. Maybe limited to the land of the Florida Man ;)
Sam the Centipede

Political Toons

Thanks folks for humoring me in this minor threadjack.

I think I have understood that as I am not (nor intend to be) a meth head, I do not need to undergo training in the removal, dismantling and illicit sale of catalytic converters. But thank you all for the education, I will recommend the course in Introduction To Vehicular And Narcotic Crime at the Fogbow College Of Stuff to aspiring students. :thumbsup:
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Political Toons

Post by Shizzle Popped »

quopeuqtz6qb1.jpg
quopeuqtz6qb1.jpg (101.44 KiB) Viewed 375 times
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Political Toons

Post by Shizzle Popped »

mfmkmh5th4qb1.jpg
mfmkmh5th4qb1.jpg (221.89 KiB) Viewed 375 times
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Political Toons

Post by Shizzle Popped »

f4sjfjf6e4qb1.jpg
f4sjfjf6e4qb1.jpg (89.68 KiB) Viewed 375 times
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Political Toons

Post by Shizzle Popped »

3wmw8gz0v3qb1.png
3wmw8gz0v3qb1.png (484.71 KiB) Viewed 375 times

I'm reasonably sure this is satire but it's gotten awfully hard to tell the difference over the last several years.
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Political Toons

Post by Shizzle Popped »

dstgygfca2qb1.jpg
dstgygfca2qb1.jpg (110.8 KiB) Viewed 376 times
John Adams
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Political Toons

Post by bill_g »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:26 am 3wmw8gz0v3qb1.png

I'm reasonably sure this is satire but it's gotten awfully hard to tell the difference over the last several years.
(chuckle) This one needs to be a billboard in her district.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Political Toons

Post by Shizzle Popped »

wpcbe230924.jpg
wpcbe230924.jpg (241.56 KiB) Viewed 344 times
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Political Toons

Post by Shizzle Popped »

crmlu230924.jpg
crmlu230924.jpg (176.04 KiB) Viewed 344 times
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Political Toons

Post by Shizzle Popped »

crsbr230922.jpg
crsbr230922.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 344 times
John Adams

Return to “Current Politics”