What Event Makes You Sad In History?

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I lived in Ohio at the time, and ended up meeting several of the members of 2/107th Cav, and everyone was haunted.

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

If we’re talking about history we lived through, and if trump’s election or Jan 6 is the Free Space, I’d have to say 9-11.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:50 pm If we’re talking about history we lived through, and if trump’s election or Jan 6 is the Free Space, I’d have to say 9-11.
11SEP01 was horrible to be sure, but Flight 93 made me proud to be an American, Semper FI to those brave people....

06JAN21 was the first time in my life I was ashamed to be an American, the whole world seeing our citizens in insurrection to overthrow our democracy...

If I had lived in DC that day, I'd be doing life without...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I'm older (62 on Sunday) and lived through all 3 incidents.

Kent State still haunts me.

Our country's reaction to 9/11 and J6 are just obscene.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:00 pm I'm older (62 on Sunday) and lived through all 3 incidents.

I had just completed my 6 years of military service in an Ohio Army Reserve unit the January prior to the Kent State shooting and was at a UC campus hangout when I saw this unfold on the TV. The event and the sickening irony of realizing I had feet virtually planted in both camps changed my thinking forever.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

qbawl wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:29 pm
John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:00 pm I'm older (62 on Sunday) and lived through all 3 incidents.

I had just completed my 6 years of military service in an Ohio Army Reserve unit the January prior to the Kent State shooting and was at a UC campus hangout when I saw this unfold on the TV. The event and the sickening irony of realizing I had feet virtually planted in both camps changed my thinking forever.
Me, too, but I still went and joined up on 5 Nov 79.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Can't pick one for sure, but it would probably be among Kennedy assassination, 911, or J6. The assassination was a shock, and I was pretty young. The 911 was a shock, but, honestly, no surprise, and the J6 was shocking and jarring and sickening in a completely differently way.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I think 9/11 was an amazing success for the terrorists. Not immediately, but I think you can trace a lot of the division we're dealing with today back to the aftermath of the attacks.
  • "If you're not with us, you're against us" was one of the first big cracks I recall.
  • It became ok to be openly hateful towards brown-skinned foreigners. One of Trump's first moves was the Islamic ban that was a direct result of the 9/11 attacks.
  • The sick form of "patriotism" that requires conforming to certain beliefs helped make it ok to hate fellow Americans who didn't follow them.
  • 9/11 Trutherism made it more acceptable to believe in conspiracy theories
  • In the 90s we were fighting against domestic terrorism, but after 9/11 the focus shifted away from that, making it easier for hate groups and domestic terrorists to dig themselves in more firmly and grow.
There's a lot more, I'm sure, that's just some of what I can think of off the top of my head. But the 9/11 terrorists goal was to bring America down, and the poison their actions injected into our society through out own reactions to it has gotten them a long ways towards that goal.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

As for historic events during my lifetime that have affected me, 9/11 and J6 are both obvious for most all of us I think, but another one that really got to me was Oklahoma City. That was the first thing of that nature that I really saw unfold in real time and followed the story of. Ever since then I've thought domestic terrorists are one of the biggest threats this country faces, and I was really disappointed with how badly we took our eyes off that ball after 9/11.

I think the only reason we haven't see a repeat of OKC is because White Supremacists feel that they've got power now, and I truly worry what might happen when Trump is either convicted of something or loses the election.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”