Hijack This Thread

Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I had an appointment with a clinical pharmacist this morning which is the first time I've come across one. She looks like she's still in high school but I think I've hit that age when anybody younger than 30 looks like a teenager. She's also smart as hell and was willing to sit with me and talk for 45 minutes about all the medications I'm taking. We're changing tactics on a couple of things and, now that I've got more granular data on my blood glucose numbers, I'm going to start experimenting with my diet to see what works and what doesn't. She thinks my sensitivity to high blood sugar may be coupled to a dip in my blood pressure which has been lower than normal this year. That may be partly due to mild dehydration because I'm not drinking enough water since it's had a metallic taste ever since I was in the hospital in March. Oh, and I also learned that you can wear the Dexcom G6 sensors on the back of your arms same as the G7. The instructions that come with it say on the stomach only but apparently the website directs otherwise if you dig around a bit.

Anyway, it was a very informative session. If you're ever given the opportunity to meet with a clinical pharmacist I highly recommend it.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/26/us/yale- ... index.html
As new students arrived on campus for the fall semester at Yale University, they were given flyers containing “misleading … disturbing and inflammatory rhetoric” about the school’s safety, according to university officials.

The flyers, titled “Welcome to Yale: A survival guide for first-year students of Yale University,” were distributed by the Yale Police Benevolent Association, a union representing Yale police officers, and featured a cloaked skull.

The flyers claimed New Haven’s crime and violence rates were “shockingly high” and “getting worse,” according to the Yale Police Benevolent Association’s pamphlet.

The flyers also stated rates of murders, burglaries and motor vehicle thefts had gone up this year.

“Nevertheless, some Yalies do manage to survive New Haven and even retain their personal property,” the flyers stated, followed by advice for students including staying off the streets after 8 p.m. and avoiding public transportation.

CNN has reached out to the police union’s president, Mike Hall, for comment.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Mrich

Hijack This Thread

Post by Mrich »

I remember in college we felt like we were invincible walking around campus - a campus right in the middle of Knoxville. We would go out any time day or night.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

Mrich wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:07 pm I remember in college we felt like we were invincible walking around campus - a campus right in the middle of Knoxville. We would go out any time day or night.
I grew up in Knoxville. I certainly felt that way. I lived off campus for a couple of years before I joined the military.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

When I was in high school and my older sister was in college, she was home on break and I noticed that her knees were really scabbed. I asked what happened. She was going to college in a Midwest town of about 10,000. There were two colleges in the town. Anyway, as kids often did, she hitched a ride into town. At the bottom of the hill, the driver turned left. That led to the country. Downtown was to the right. My sister bailed out of the moving car.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

:eek:
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

I was in college and grad school in the late 60s and early 70s in Boston/Cambridge MA.

As I recall the Campus Patrol seemed mostly worried about the crimes we students might commit. I specifically recall we were told not to waste our one phone call if we were arrested calling friends or family but to call the Campus Patrol.

I never had occasion to take that advice. ;)

Drug crime was the big issue on campus in those days.

I do recall some sexual assaults near the campus of another university across the river in Boston in those days.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Hijack This Thread

Post by Lani »

Foggy wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:47 pm But WHERE is LANI? :towel:

On the bright side, she isn't in the Oahu obits. :oldman:
I'm back! Problem with my computer, my passwords crashed for weeks :crying:

Let's see.... I had to change passwords for ALOT of websites. Did I mention that I retired? Did I mention that my son & his partner moved into my condo. ARRRGHHH. His apartment is now for sale, and apartment rents have gone up about $1000/mo. So now my small condo with 2 bedrooms & and a small yard has 3 adults, a cat & my dog. :yikes: I don't want to be a bitch, but I think they should pay some $$.

I've missed you all, especially when the horrible Lahaina fire happened. Cried for days. Bodies are still being found. I remember sitting under the banyan tree....
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:29 am
Foggy wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:47 pm But WHERE is LANI? :towel:

On the bright side, she isn't in the Oahu obits. :oldman:
I'm back! Problem with my computer, my passwords crashed for weeks :crying:

Let's see.... I had to change passwords for ALOT of websites. Did I mention that I retired? Did I mention that my son & his partner moved into my condo. ARRRGHHH. His apartment is now for sale, and apartment rents have gone up about $1000/mo. So now my small condo with 2 bedrooms & and a small yard has 3 adults, a cat & my dog. :yikes: I don't want to be a bitch, but I think they should pay some $$.

I've missed you all, especially when the horrible Lahaina fire happened. Cried for days. Bodies are still being found. I remember sitting under the banyan tree....
Thank all the gods in Asgard, you're all right!! We've been worried about you!

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having, and yes, son & partner should be paying you for room & board!

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
~Kriselda
Uninformed

Hijack This Thread

Post by Uninformed »

:bighug:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

:bighug: :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Son should pay at least for food and definitely more. It isn't being bitchy. It's being practical. So glad to hear from you!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

So glad to hear you are safe and sound, even with your computer hiccups. We were definitely thinking of you. *hugs*
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:

I also remember sitting under the banyan tree. I saw something last week that said they didn't think the tree was dead, and they are giving it all the support it would need and they could give. :pray:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Hijack This Thread

Post by northland10 »

Mrich wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:07 pm I remember in college we felt like we were invincible walking around campus - a campus right in the middle of Knoxville. We would go out any time day or night.
It has not really changed at least around Northwestern. One thing though. While Evanston is generally safe, I do worry about those students at the Metra station at night on the phone or texting away (or FB, etc). They really appear to have no situational awareness and that is important I avoided an safety issue.

ps. Relieved to see Lani showing up here.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

This is move-in weekend for Pitt. The campus is in the middle of the city in Oakland. We drove through there today. Big mistake. The danger for these students isn't so much criminality. It's the traffic.
qbawl

Hijack This Thread

Post by qbawl »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:01 pm This is move-in weekend for Pitt. The campus is in the middle of the city in Oakland. We drove through there today. Big mistake. The danger for these students isn't so much criminality. It's the traffic.
I remember move in week when my son started at Boston University. Three good sized universities in a very compact area with two or three more in very close proximity. I think every big yellow rental truck in the Eastern United States was trying to make a U-turn on Mass ave at the same time.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

qbawl wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:22 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:01 pm This is move-in weekend for Pitt. The campus is in the middle of the city in Oakland. We drove through there today. Big mistake. The danger for these students isn't so much criminality. It's the traffic.
I remember move in week when my son started at Boston University. Three good sized universities in a very compact area with two or three more in very close proximity. I think every big yellow rental truck in the Eastern United States was trying to make a U-turn on Mass ave at the same time.
Yes, CMU is very close to Pitt's campus. My alma mater is a smaller women's college, also just down the road.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

I went to Costco this afternoon. The Christmas displays are up. :eek:
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:02 pm I went to Costco this afternoon. The Christmas displays are up. :eek:
I was going to post that identical thing yesterday. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hijack This Thread

You mean I missed HALLOWEEN??!!! :mad:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:27 pm You mean I missed HALLOWEEN??!!! :mad:
And Labor Day.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hijack This Thread

Well, dammit!!!!! Does Joe Biden know about this????
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:34 pm Well, dammit!!!!! Does Joe Biden know about this????
He’s to blame.

Return to “General Stuff”