minor rename from "Lawn and Gardening 2023"
-----------------------------------------------------------

a once in its lifetime (of the plant)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Lawn and Gardening 2023

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Coooool!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Lawn and Gardening 2023

Post by AndyinPA »

If this is the same video I saw a little while ago, it bloomed, died, and left a possible tiny new baby behind.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Lawn and Gardening 2023

Post by keith »

They left off Arizona in the list of natural habitat. And they've also been imported to Australia and they're not at all uncommon.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
sugar magnolia

Lawn and Gardening 2023

Post by sugar magnolia »

We have several century plants around town here. It's a big deal when one of them blooms.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Lawn and Gardening 2023

Post by AndyinPA »

One bloomed in Phipps Conservatory a few years ago. It was in the desert room. They had to take glass panels out of the ceiling for it to keep growing.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Lawn and Garden 2023

Post by RVInit »

Posting in the most recent thread. I have been working on restoring my mother's native/butterfly garden. In recent years nobody had been tending it and the leaves from the oak trees choked many of the shrubs out, too many little oaks and other shrubs growing everywhere and choking out the flowering plants, etc. It was a real mess. She has several paver paths throughout the garden and not a single paver was visible, I had to rake and sweep to locate all the paths again. I still have lots of raking to do in parts of the yard, but sections of it have been somewhat restored and we are getting lots of butterflies and caterpillars again. Here are a few of the caterpillars.

Also, a photo of a large pipevine. I found pieces of her once large pipevine straggling across the ground. So, I built a six foot long and five feet high fence to lay the pipevine on, hoping it would start spreading and become the showpiece it once was. I should have built the fence larger and higher because we started to get lots of rain and that vine is all over the place as you can see from the photo. It was already spreading backward up the citrus tree, which is nice because the caterpillars keep it under control but also can hide a little better from all the critters that want to eat them. I'm having an especially hard time with yellowjackets. A neighbor across the street must have a large yellowjacket colony because they fly back and forth from across the street. I set up a trap and have been able to kill many of them, but there are still some that come over and kill mostly the monarch caterpillars. They don't get all of them, but they do get a handful of them. I have a small cage that I can put some of the monarch caterpillars in with a potted milkweed to make sure we get at least a few of them through all the life stages and into an adult butterfly.

Pipevine growing on fence: If you look really close there is a pipevine swallowtail caterpillar on the underside of one of the leaves closest to the camera at the top of the fencing. Also, a smallish, probably 18-24 inch long black snake lives under the pipevine fence. I see him now and again. He likes to eat the lizards that eat the caterpillars, so I really like that he's there. Plus he will keep mice under control.
PipevineFence.jpg
PipevineFence.jpg (291.98 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Tiny pipevine swallowtail caterpillars newly hatched:
PipevineHatch.jpg
PipevineHatch.jpg (90.33 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Zebra Longwing caterpillar (the large one). If you look really close there is a tiny Gulf Fritillary caterpillar right behind the longwing caterpillar, to the left of the zebra longwing caterpillar. He's really tiny compared to the longwing cat. I didn't even notice it until I looked at the photo:
LongwingAndFrittilary.jpg
LongwingAndFrittilary.jpg (106.54 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Gulf Fritillary caterpillar on passionvine flower bud:
GulfFrittilaryCat.jpg
GulfFrittilaryCat.jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Pipevine swallowtail caterpillar munching on pipevine flower:
PipevineCat.jpg
PipevineCat.jpg (108.01 KiB) Viewed 363 times
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Lawn and Garden 2023

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Great pics!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Lawn and Garden 2023

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

I found this growing under the bird feeder when it was small and planted it in a pot to see what it would be. It’s much bigger now but I still have no idea what it is. Anyone have any ideas?
IMG_5070.jpeg
IMG_5070.jpeg (90.45 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Estiveo
Verified:

Lawn and Garden 2023

Post by Estiveo »

Sicklepod, I think.
Image Image Image Image
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Lawn and Garden 2023

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Estiveo wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:40 pm Sicklepod, I think.
Oh my, and the Internet is full of how to get rid of this stuff. :shock: Thanks Estiveo, I’m pulling that one up and any more i see like it. :thumbsup:

Return to “General Stuff”