Adam Kinzinger, R Illinois

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics ... story.html

Retiring Republican U.S. Rep. Adam Kinzinger said in a video Wednesday that he will forego a bid for U.S. Senate or Illinois governor to focus on the fight against former President Donald Trump’s influence over the GOP.

“This time last year I hoped victory would come in a matter of months. Now I see it will take years,” the six-term lawmaker from Channahon said on the eve of the one-year anniversary of the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.

“That’s why I’m transitioning from serving just one corner of Illinois into fighting this new nationwide mission full time,” he said.

Kinzinger has been one of the few Republicans on Capitol Hill to oppose Trump’s leadership of the GOP and decry baseless allegations that the 2020 presidential election had been stolen. He formed the Country First political action committee and movement last year to back Republicans opposed to the former president.
I wish him luck. Hopefully, he's successful enough that this thread gets some use.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Adam Kinzinger, R Illinois

Post by raison de arizona »

He’s a good man, I wish him well too.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
filly

Re: Adam Kinzinger, R Illinois

Post by filly »

Saw one of his tweets this morning where he said he would've been with Liz & Dick Cheney but was on "baby watch." Said he was there in spirit.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

He gave his farewell speech today.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c5046723/ ... ell-speech

He made some good points, but he said some things I would disagree with. Both parties didn't come together on aid for Super Storm Sandy. The Democrats putting money behind nutty candidates in the primaries isn't equivalent to anything the republicans did in the last six years, whether you liked that or not.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Excellent interview with Kinzinger.

FYI, Karen Friedman Agnifilo is the real deal. Her commentary (in-depth on MeidasTouch) on TFG's various indictment has been so educational for the IANAL-but-I'm-reall-interested-in-the gory-details types.

Return to “Current Politics”