Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:49 am
Ah, but you didn’t practice law pre-guidelines. Those days were akin to being the great Carnac and guessing the judge’s thoughts based upon his/her previous sentencings. Or, for your consideration, like the U.S. Supreme Court making rulings based upon the Founding Fathers’ “intent”.
That’s how sentencing in the military was until very recently. In our world, we had “unitary sentencing,” where you added up the maximum possible sentence for each offense, and the military judge or jury handed down a sentence somewhere in that range. It was a major factor in whether to ask for a bench trial - the conventional wisdom was that judges, who’ve seen everything, are a little more lenient on sentencing, but they’re more likely to convict (whether that’s actually true or not - who knows?).

Anyhoo, the UCMJ was amended recently to require the sentencing in all cases except capital cases be conducted by a judge. The new law requires the judge to state the sentence for each offense.

And they required the military to set up a board to establish sentencing parameters (similar but not identical to the sentencing guidelines) that the judge must follow, or explain why he deviated.

And I’m like - this is it - I’m out. This is going to be way too much work to learn all this stuff. My eyes glaze over when I read about all this federal sentencing guidelines stuff.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:49 am
northland10 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:30 am IMHIANALO, what sentence is called for the the federal sentencing guidelines is not cut and dry. It is filled with different charts to determine scores then added to with upward and downward departures along with some deference to specified sentencing guidelines in the US Code, except when it does not.

It is as clear as mud. I am a data analyst, I tried to follow through the guidelines on some cases. I gave up.
Ah, but you didn’t practice law pre-guidelines.
I don't practice post-guidelines, either. ;)
101010 :towel:
bob

Post by bob »

Newsweek: Capitol Rioter Sues CNN for $37 Million:
A Virginia man who admitted to entering the U.S. Capitol during the January 6 riot is suing CNN for defamation.

Jacob Hiles, a charter boat captain, traveled from Virginia Beach to Washington, D.C., on January 6, 2021, to "express his support for President [Donald] Trump by exercising his 1st Amendment rights guaranteed to him under the United States Constitution," according to a lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia earlier this week and reviewed by Newsweek.

Hiles pleaded guilty to one misdemeanor count of parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building in September 2021. He was sentenced in December 2021 to two years of probation and ordered to complete 60 hours of community service.

According to an FBI affidavit, Hiles posted numerous videos and photos on his Facebook page on the day supporters of Trump stormed the Capitol building. They included a selfie he posted that morning with the caption: "Feelin cute...might start a revolution later."

The article reported on the indictment of Michael Angelo Riley, a Capitol police officer who prosecutors said messaged Hiles on Facebook and encouraged him to delete his posts. Riley was sentenced to two years of probation and four months of home detention earlier this year after being convicted on one count of obstruction of justice.

The article's focus later shifts to Hiles, with a subheading that says: "Man wanted to start 'a revolution' on January 6."

According to the lawsuit, that subheading and the article's contents are defamatory because "they falsely accuse Hiles of felonious criminal activity of which he was not charged or convicted, either directly or indirectly."
Hiles literally pleaded guilty to a J6 charge, and literally wrote "might start a revolution later," but claims he was defamed. :roll:

CNN technically removed the state complaint (to E.D. Va.), which was filed by Alexander Bell of Pincus Goodman. Bell, curiously, is not listed as part of the firm's team; it looks as if Bell has since become a partner at Bush & Taylor.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Ryan J. Reilly @ryanjreilly wrote: Big "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was America" vibes in the FBI affidavit against Jan. 6 defendant Chad Suenram.

Chad Suenram, known as #FlagFaceMarine, was arrested in Kansas. https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 48.1.1.pdf
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

northland10 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:45 pm I don't practice post-guidelines, either. ;)
I do, however, practice piano. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

crossposting
Trump under investigation for civil rights conspiracy in January 6 inquiry
Federal prosecutors say they have evidence to charge Trump with three crimes over efforts to overturn 2020 election

Hugo Lowell in Washington
Thu 20 Jul 2023 01.44 BST

Federal prosecutors investigating Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election results have evidence to charge the former president with three crimes, including section 241 of the US legal code that makes it unlawful to conspire to violate civil rights, two people familiar with the matter said.

The potential charges detailed in a target letter sent to Trump by prosecutors from the office of special counsel Jack Smith, who also charged Trump with retaining classified documents last month, was the clearest signal of an imminent indictment.

Prosecutors appear to have evidence to charge Trump with obstruction of an official proceeding and conspiracy to defraud the United States based on the target letter, two statutes that the House select committee examining the January 6 Capitol attack issued criminal referrals for last year.

The target letter to Trump identified a previously unconsidered third charge, the sources said. That is section 241 of title 18 of the US code, which makes it unlawful to conspire to threaten or intimidate a person in the “free exercise” of any right or privilege under the “Constitution or laws of the United States”.

The statute, enacted to protect the civil rights of Black voters targeted by white supremacy groups after the US civil war, is unusual because it is typically used by prosecutors in law enforcement misconduct and hate crime prosecutions, though its use has expanded in recent years.

What the potential charges means for Trump is unclear.

Prosecutors have been examining various instances of Trump pressuring officials like his former vice-president Mike Pence, but Trump’s efforts to obstruct the transfer of power could also be construed as conspiring to defraud voters more generally.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -january-6
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

A birthday present for shizzle! Keep those Fogbow birthday presents a comin’!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

Roger Parloff @rparloff wrote: Denying QAnon Shaman Jacob Chansley's motion to vacate, Judge slams @TuckerCarlson 's March 6 broadcast as "replete with misstatements & misrepresentations ... too numerous to count" ...
/1
https://bit.ly/44PM6p5

... "the host explicitly questioned the integrity of this Court-not to mention the legitimacy of the entire U.S. criminal justice system with inflammatory characterizations of cherry-picked videos stripped of their proper context. ..."
/2
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

1. It is Judge Lamberth (no bleeding liberal) slamming Tucker and Chansley.
2. No IAC: Chansley's arguments border on frivolous.
3. One video wasn't disclosed, but ultimately not material.
4.. For the nerds: No COA.
Image ImageImage
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bob wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:59 am 1. It is Judge Lamberth (no bleeding liberal) slamming Tucker and Chansley.
What are IAC and COA?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:32 pm
bob wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:59 am 1. It is Judge Lamberth (no bleeding liberal) slamming Tucker and Chansley.
What are IAC and COA?
IAC - Ineffective Assistance of Counsel
COA - Certificate of Appealability

For those who want the whole opinion without Twitter.
https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/sh ... cr0003-127
101010 :towel:
bob

Post by bob »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:32 pm What are IAC and COA?
IAC: Ineffective assistance of counsel. Chansley argued his prior counsel was ineffective because counsel advised taking a plea agreement with an appeal waiver and a certain sentencing enhancement. The judge did not buy Chansley's argument that counsel should have held out for, essentially, a (more of a) sweetheart plea agreement.

COA: Certificate of appealability. To appeal this denial, a judge first will have to certify that this case is appeal-worthy. This judge said no; Chansley can now ask a D.C. Circuit judge for a COA, but the answer likely also will be no.

Lamberth said he if knew then what he knows now, Chansley's sentence would have been higher.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

Kyle Cheney @kyledcheney wrote: NEWS: Stan Woodward, appearing late to a sentencing in a Jan. 6 case, says he was delayed because special counsel Smith team started asking his client (believed to be Trump aid Will Russell) questions that infringe on executive privilege.

Judge MCFADDEN, who ordered Woodward to explain his belated appearance, said he absolved the attorney of anything improper and was upset with prosecutors who had assured him they would not let the grand jury matter interfere with the sentences set for 2pm today

“Talking about obstructions of official proceedings,” McFadden said sharply. “The government has not acted as I required.”

NOTABLE: Woodward was reluctant to reveal this in open court. McFadden asked him if that was due to grand jury secrecy rules. And Woodward said yes.

McFadden then said he would absolve Woodward of any secrecy requirements so he could explain his belated appearance.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:54 pm
Kyle Cheney @kyledcheney wrote: NEWS: Stan Woodward, appearing late to a sentencing in a Jan. 6 case, says he was delayed because special counsel Smith team started asking his client (believed to be Trump aid Will Russell) questions that infringe on executive privilege.

Judge MCFADDEN, who ordered Woodward to explain his belated appearance, said he absolved the attorney of anything improper and was upset with prosecutors who had assured him they would not let the grand jury matter interfere with the sentences set for 2pm today

“Talking about obstructions of official proceedings,” McFadden said sharply. “The government has not acted as I required.”

NOTABLE: Woodward was reluctant to reveal this in open court. McFadden asked him if that was due to grand jury secrecy rules. And Woodward said yes.

McFadden then said he would absolve Woodward of any secrecy requirements so he could explain his belated appearance.
https:/ /twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1682096272843350017?s=20
This came up briefly at opening segment of DeadLine WH. Andrew Weisman explained it much better :bighug:
bob

Post by bob »

Federico Klein.
Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Good. I heard on the teevee news that it was Klein's appearance and his lawyer coming late caused yesterday's kerfuffle with McFadden. Apparently the attorney also represents the Trump aide who has testifying to the grand jury yesterday and it ran late. Lawyer didn't want to leave his client in there alone because privilege claims (so he told McFadden). One of Smith's prosecutors was called into McFadden's court for a terse exchange in side bar. I was dozing, so I may have details wrong, feel free to correct me. I'll post a link when I see one, I have to go work for a while :bag:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Kendra wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:31 am Good. I heard on the teevee news that it was Klein's appearance and his lawyer coming late caused yesterday's kerfuffle with McFadden. Apparently the attorney also represents the Trump aide who has testifying to the grand jury yesterday and it ran late. Lawyer didn't want to leave his client in there alone because privilege claims (so he told McFadden). One of Smith's prosecutors was called into McFadden's court for a terse exchange in side bar. I was dozing, so I may have details wrong, feel free to correct me. I'll post a link when I see one, I have to go work for a while :bag:
'

Grand Jury. By definition his client was "in there alone," no?

Deliberate shit. Or at least the commentator I just heard bashing the lawyer (name escaping me; the dude who is repping various Jan6 defendents also) thinks so.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I was wondering about that too, I'm not smart enough to understand the GJ process, but I thought they went in alone too. :shrug:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:59 pm
Kendra wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:31 am Good. I heard on the teevee news that it was Klein's appearance and his lawyer coming late caused yesterday's kerfuffle with McFadden. Apparently the attorney also represents the Trump aide who has testifying to the grand jury yesterday and it ran late. Lawyer didn't want to leave his client in there alone because privilege claims (so he told McFadden). One of Smith's prosecutors was called into McFadden's court for a terse exchange in side bar. I was dozing, so I may have details wrong, feel free to correct me. I'll post a link when I see one, I have to go work for a while :bag:
'

Grand Jury. By definition his client was "in there alone," no?

Deliberate shit. Or at least the commentator I just heard bashing the lawyer (name escaping me; the dude who is repping various Jan6 defendents also) thinks so.
Yeah, but as I understand it, he’s permitted to step outside the grand jury room to consult with a counsel after each question. It sounds like counsel wanted to be there in case the witness needed advice on whether he could invoke executive privilege.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... fb992&ei=9

:snippity:
According to Haberman’s sources, the delay was caused by the nature of the questioning:

On Thursday, Mr. Russell was asked a series of questions about his interactions with Mr. Trump before the former president’s departure from the White House, according to a person familiar with the appearance. More than once, Mr. Russell got up and left the proceedings to consult with Mr. Woodward after prosecutors asked questions related to his discussions with Mr. Trump, the person familiar with the appearance said.

The problems began when Mr. Russell’s appearance before the grand jury ran long, causing Mr. Woodward to be late for the reading of a bench trial verdict for one of his Capitol riot clients in front of Judge McFadden. The client, Federico Klein, who served as an official in the State Department during Mr. Trump’s administration, was ultimately found guilty of seven felonies, including assaulting the police and obstruction of an official proceeding before Congress.

But before Judge McFadden issued the verdict, he quizzed Mr. Woodward about why he was delayed. When the judge learned that it was because of the grand jury, he sent court officials to summon Mr. Windom, who works for the special counsel, Jack Smith.
:snippity:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Judge rejects jail for Oath Keepers’ Jan. 6 ‘operations coordinator’ Michael Greene said he was a paid security contractor, not a follower of Stewart Rhodes, when he went to the Capitol grounds

(gifted)

Interesting quotation.
“The jury did not find Mr. Greene guilty of the most serious offenses with which he was charged,” U.S. District Judge Amit P. Mehta said. “That was their verdict, and we have to respect that, just as we ask the public to accept the guilty verdicts of others.”

No Capitol riot defendant convicted of a misdemeanor who did not enter the building has been sentenced to jail, he said.

“I’m not an Oath Keeper. I took a job,” Greene said when it was his turn to address the court.

Greene, a Black former police officer and Army veteran of the Persian Gulf War, added that he has tried to serve as a role model for young people and that jailing him would tell them “you can do everything right” and still be punished by the justice system. “The only thing I’m guilty of is working for an organization of White folks that high-end White folks consider to be unfavorable White folks,” he said.
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

This guy made some sovereign citizen types of rumblings and then blew off a court date.

https://twitter.com/MaritsaGeorgiou/sta ... 9768893441

https://www.koin.com/local/clark-county ... l-warrant/
Court records show that Marc Anthony Bru of Hazel Dell was going to act as his own attorney in the criminal trial that was supposed to start July 17th in Washington, D.C, but the federal court says he failed to show up for a pre-trial conference June 26.

In recent court filings federal prosecutors quoted Bru’s profanity-filled Twitter post June 28 that said “…if they want me they will come get me” and “I will not submit to a totalitarian belligerent de facto regime.”

Court records show Bru failed to appear again at a June 30 status conference.

On July 6, Bru was supposed to attend his rescheduled pre-trial conference. When he did not show up the federal judge then issued a warrant for his arrest.
raison de arizona

Here's some of his "thoughts" from a couple months back.
Mel Hawley @SovSoulMel wrote: J6 defendant, Marc Anthony Bru, shares his unconventional journey battling a compromised Constitution in foreign territory.

WATCH THE FULL EPISODE https://rumble.com/v2mjtr2-j6-marc-anth ... y-851.html
LISTEN https://open.spotify.com/episode/1FY9Id ... OCV4Bcyrzw

http://sovsouls.us
He's apparently a Proud Boy.
► Show Spoiler
bob

Post by bob »

Kyle Griffin wrote:Peter Stager, a Jan. 6 rioter who repeatedly struck a police officer with a flag pole as the officer was being dragged down the steps of the Capitol, has just been sentenced to 52 months in federal prison.
Image ImageImage
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

MeidasTouch
21 Jul 2023
Legal AF hosts Ben Meiselas and Michael Popok discuss a bizarre scene in the DC Federal Courthouse involving the Donald Trump appointed judge Trevor McFadden.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”