Suranis

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Suranis

Post by AndyinPA »

OMG, I'm so sorry. I hope you and your flat end up wholly healed. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Uninformed

Suranis

Post by Uninformed »

Hoping both you and your flat make speedy recoveries, and your run of bad luck is over. Best wishes.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Suranis

Post by neonzx »

OMG! Glad you are safe and the flat is not a total loss. From your photos of the flat, it doesn't seem anything burned. It's going to take some rehab for the walls and ceilings and remediation of the smoke damage (which is the hardest part).

NEW RULE: NO. MORE. SECOND. HAND. CLOTHES. DRYERS.

It is written.

Hang in their, bud.
Suranis

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:31 pm OMG! Glad you are safe and the flat is not a total loss. From your photos of the flat, it doesn't seem anything burned. It's going to take some rehab for the walls and ceilings and remediation of the smoke damage (which is the hardest part).
Well, that's because the stuff that was burned was pulled out on the lawn by the fire brigade. My DVD collection, TV stand, DVD, tv box and the TV I got 2 months ago went up because they were above the dryer. As well as the armchair that was under the window, and my beloved "Calvin and Hobbes Complete Collection." Also the Armchair is against the other window because it has warped and can't be closed. Its a sliding door so that has to be replaced.

I was going through my clothes today and every single thing is caked with smoke smell and soot.
NEW RULE: NO. MORE. SECOND. HAND. CLOTHES. DRYERS.

It is written.
My brother helped me bring my stuff to my mothers, and he said "Oh well at least you got 12 months out of the Dryer." I held in my response. :roll:
Hic sunt dracones
Annrc
Verified:

Suranis

Post by Annrc »

:bighug: Oh my! So sorry. Persevere. Not easy in your situation.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Suranis

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Suranis

Post by poplove »

Lani

Suranis

Post by Lani »

So sorry. And thanks - I'm ordering a fire extinguisher today.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Suranis

Post by raison de arizona »

Lani wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:15 pm So sorry. And thanks - I'm ordering a fire extinguisher today.
Yeah, me too! What a nightmare! So sorry Suranis.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Patagoniagirl

Suranis

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I cannot imagine what you are dealing with. I am so heartbroken for you.
MN-Skeptic

Suranis

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I totally understand the panic. Oh, you poor dear! Sending lots of healing thoughts and prayers your way.

Fiascoist

Suranis

Post by Fiascoist »

:bighug: take care and hope the second half of this year goes better.
June bug

Suranis

Post by June bug »

So sorry, Suranis. Wishing you and your digs a speedy recovery . :bighug: :bighug:
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Suranis

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Lani wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:15 pm So sorry. And thanks - I'm ordering a fire extinguisher today.
I saw enough people burned out in my years on the rescue squad, it's horrible beyond words. We have 2 full size fire extinguishers and 5 of the little hand held ones. But we do live in a 208 year old wooden farm house with an electric well pump. No power no water. Everyone should have at least one fire extinguisher in the house. :oldlady:

Sending lots of love JJ :bighug:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Suranis

Post by keith »

Sorry for your loss Suranis. I hope recovery goes smoothly for both you and your home,

I suppose you haven't sorted it all out yet, but...

You said your CD collection was lost - I'm curious if you had your collection catalogued into something like or "Discogs.com" (or others)?

If so, I'm even more curious if your Insurance will pay out (presumably on contents cover) or if they grumble about it.

My CD collection is valued somewhere between 15-20K (1055 albums), and my LP collection is valued at about 60K (almost 1500 albums - many of which have no sales history, so the figure is actually quite a bit higher than that) so I'm getting kind of concerned what the insurance man would say about it if I get hit by a fire. I'm almost afraid to bring it up. I've got everything catalogued into both Discogs.com and Collectorz Music Collector so if needed I can hand the insurance guy a list which they will then push back on I suppose.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Suranis

Post by raison de arizona »

I'm not an insurance expert Keith, but I would expect that you would need a rider on your policy for that.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Suranis

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, this is Fogbow, and I had a fire, and then the mousie had an even worser fire, and I am instructing the entire boogle, the competition ends here, Suranis won, and I don't want anybody else to have any fires, especially not any that are worser than the mousie's fire. :fingerwag:

Whew. I'm glad we had this talk. :towel:

It sounds like you suffered a hell of a lot more damage than I did, my friend. I'm really sorry for your losses, and glad you are going to heal from the experience. :bighug:

But it's too bad you don't live in the US of A, because this is a perfect opportunity for a horde of lawyers to descend upon the scene and make everything so much worser. :whistle:

You could sue your brother for installing the dryer, and your dad for not maintaining it, and when your landlord sued you for the fire, you could counter-sue because they never fixed the faulty fire alarm, and ... and ... and I'm just getting started, we'd need to send preliminary teams of lawyers and fire investigators just to get off the ground. It's a litigation wonderland. :biggrin:

But in Ireland they just handle it like grownups, amirite? :confuzzled:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Suranis

Post by Frater I*I »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:19 pm Yeah, this is Fogbow, and I had a fire, and then the mousie had an even worser fire, and I am instructing the entire boogle, the competition ends here, Suranis won, and I don't want anybody else to have any fires, especially not any that are worser than the mousie's fire. :fingerwag:

:snippity:
Is that gasoline I smell....? :flame:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Suranis

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

keith wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:43 am If so, I'm even more curious if your Insurance will pay out (presumably on contents cover) or if they grumble about it.
Well, its not my insurance it's the Landlords insurance, so probably not. And it wasn't my CD collection just my DVDs. Which was bad enough.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ok I went back to my place to have a look around by myself. They havent started on the cleanup yet.

While I was there I picked up an invoice for the charge for the Fire brigade callout. It came to 550 Euro. I rang the landlord and he said to leave it there for him that the insurance would take care of it. Which is a big relief.

I got complimented on the way I had cleaned up the place and got it ready for the restoration, which was nice. But most of the credit should go to my Ukranian Cleaner who I asked to come in to help. And she gave me a hug. :lovestruck:
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Suranis

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:thumbsup:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Suranis

Post by Foggy »

I'm glad there's a little bit of good news. :bighug:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Suranis

Post by Maybenaut »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:36 am
I saw enough people burned out in my years on the rescue squad, it's horrible beyond words. We have 2 full size fire extinguishers and 5 of the little hand held ones. But we do live in a 208 year old wooden farm house with an electric well pump. No power no water. Everyone should have at least one fire extinguisher in the house. :oldlady:

Sending lots of love JJ :bighug:
We’re also on well water. This place used to be a Bed and Breakfast, and code required a fire extinguisher in most rooms, so we have a ton of them.

Our house filled up with smoke from the old oil furnace, and we called 911 and eleventy-hundred fire trucks showed up. They were like, the nearest hydrant is over five miles away and we don’t fool around so we bring every tanker resource we have. Fortunately there was no fire and that furnace is long gone.

So glad your cleanup is off to a good start. :bighug:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Suranis

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I spent the morning facebook messaging a facebook friend whose husband beat her up last night.

I hate it when I get messages like that. It's because I feel helpless there's nothing much I can do but listen, and give her advice. She asked me questions about why he did this or that, and I answered the questions as best I could.

Makes me feel small and helpless, but valuable in a way. I asked had I said the right things, and she said she did. Throwing a little light into the darkness I suppose.

7 weeks on, my flat still hasn't had much done with it. The damage is still there. The other rooms have just had an undercoat of paint and that's about it. So I'm still stuck here at my Mothers. The stress is so real that she has gone for a few days, and I've spent most of the time sleeping.

The struggle continues.
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Suranis

Post by pipistrelle »

Suranis wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:52 pm I spent the morning facebook messaging a facebook friend whose husband beat her up last night.

I hate it when I get messages like that. It's because I feel helpless there's nothing much I can do but listen, and give her advice. She asked me questions about why he did this or that, and I answered the questions as best I could.
Those are good questions, vs. "What did I do to make him do that?" She seems aware she's not at fault.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”