Post by Chilidog »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
IMG_9932.jpeg
IMG_9932.jpeg (242.58 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

miss meh wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:51 pm Thanks to all who responded! More storms due tonite but hopefully no more twisters.
And tomorrow.

But the good news is that it appears the smoke from Alberta/BC may be swooping in again in a few days. :roll:
101010 :towel:
Reddog

Weather Alerts

Post by Reddog »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:16 pm Had friends of a friend who loved to golf in Tucson in the winters, and decided that would be the place to retire from here. Hated being cooped up in the winter, they said. Moved there and learned that in Tucson you get to be cooped up in the summer. Didn't do their homework. :cantlook:

I've only been there in April, and it was lovely.

I have never preferred heat over cold, and I assumed as I got older that would change. I guess there are snowbirds for a reason. But I still prefer a nice cold day over a hot one any time. You can always add layers. You can only take so much off.
Almost exact quote of what I have always said!
My Grandparents immigrated from Sweden about the turn of the century, homesteaded in Montana where my Mother was born. I learned not to complain to her about being cold. If I did I never got any sympathy. It was always work/play harder, and add layers.
I found that mid teens was perfect for splitting wood. And after about a half hour I was taking off my jacket.
Another thing is if you’re cold you can chop a tree for heat (twice). There’s not much you can do, naturally, to get cooler.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

A German lady told me, there's no such thing as bad weather, only wrong clothes.
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

No tornado, but very high winds went through here pretty quickly last night and did a lot of localized damage.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

It's hot in Phoenix. So hot. Two weeks of 110+, we're likely to break the record for consecutive days 110+ (18 days from 1974) if this forecast holds.
Here's the deal though- it isn't any hotter than it usually gets. BUT- normally you get a heat wave, 3-4 days of super hot 110+ days, then it drops back down to just regular hot. And let me tell you, there is a difference between under 110 and 110+, it's noticeable. I've been walking the pooch at 5:30am, and it is All. Ready. Hot. Check out the lows above, we aren't even dipping below 90 overnight. It sucks.

Imma melt.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

For most of the 30+ summers we lived in coastal Texas those lows were our usual highs.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Knocking on wood here, but so far, while it's been warm and muggy, and we had some nasty storms last night, it has not been awful here--yet.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:54 am A German lady told me, there's no such thing as bad weather, only wrong clothes.
A very smart statement, although no correct clothing will prevent your house from being relocated, in pieces, over a 5-block area.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Hell on earth’: Phoenix’s extreme heatwave tests the limits of survival
Residents of Arizona’s capital are used to scorching heat, but the summer’s unyielding sizzle is making harder to live there

Gabrielle Canon in Phoenix, Arizona
@GabrielleCanon
Fri 14 Jul 2023 15.00 BST

It’s Wednesday morning in Phoenix and even under thick clouds, the thermometer is hovering above 100F (37.7C).

Arizona’s capital city is nicknamed “Valley of the Sun”, and residents are used to scorching heat. But by day 12 of a vicious heatwave that’s sent temperatures soaring into triple digits, with little relief overnight, limits are being tested – and it’s only going to get hotter.

The city is on track to break a grim milestone. If the heatwave continues as predicted, Phoenix will have endured an 18-day stretch of temperatures above 110F (43.3C) by Tuesday.

“Phoenix has always been hot,” said Michelle Litwin, the city’s heat response program manager. But this is something else.

Litwin and her team are tasked with aiding the city’s most vulnerable during the city’s brutally hot months, a season that now stretches from April to September. On Wednesday, she and a crew of city workers and volunteers set up a booth at a sprawling homeless encampment to hand out cold water bottles, hygiene kits and other resources that, for those living on the streets, could potentially mean the difference between life and death.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... er-arizona
raison de arizona

Weather Alerts

My morning plan sucks.
IMG_5339.jpeg
IMG_5339.jpeg (149.18 KiB) Viewed 2662 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:32 am My morning plan sucks.
Couch, TV remote and A/C sounds like a better plan.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/pe ... r-AA1dVZu7
Flash flooding killed at least three people in Pennsylvania Saturday evening, and storms moving through the Northeast Sunday threaten heavy rain and tornadoes.

Intense rainfall flooded roadways in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, catching many on the roads by surprise and leaving some trapped, the Upper Makefield Township Police Department said in a statement.

Three people were found dead and four people are still unaccounted for, as search and rescue efforts continued Sunday, police said.

“We are treating this as a rescue but we are fairly certain we are in a recovery mode at this time,” Upper Makefield Fire Company Chief Tim Brewer said Sunday.

Several area agencies were assisting with rescue missions overnight.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Smoke's returning.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news ... wildfires/
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) -- A Code Orange Air Quality Action Day has been issued for Tuesday.

The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection issued the alert for Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Washington, and Westmoreland counties. Thirteen other counties across the state are also impacted.
Lani

Weather Alerts

Post by Lani »

We've been watching a tropical storm, at one point reaching hurricane power.
All good now. Beautiful day, blue sky. Low 80's and white puffy clouds.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona

Weather Alerts

My pool is 93 degrees, which is still surprisingly refreshing given the 118 degree air.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... county-pa/
Five people were killed and two others are missing after a sudden deluge of rain flooded a Pennsylvania road Saturday night, sweeping away vehicles and setting off a search for survivors as the Northeast grappled with simultaneous weather hazards.

A baby and a toddler were unaccounted for in the aftermath of the storm that hit Bucks County, officials said during a Sunday news conference. They described water rising swiftly and violently in a scene that stunned veteran rescue workers.
Baby and toddler still missing.
raison de arizona

Weather Alerts

You people that are hot? You're going to keep being hot. If you aren't hot enough, then just wait, because you're going to get hot too. Also, if you have been getting flooded, get ready for some more of that. Everything is broken.
CBS Evening News @CBSEveningNews wrote: Meteorologist @TWCChrisWarren, with the @weatherchannel, is tracking the latest on the heat and rain across the U.S.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Steve Herman
@w7voa@journa.host
Update: Thousands of flights in the US canceled or delayed, and 1.1 million homes and businesses lose power due to storms in the eastern US.

https://apnews.com/article/severe-weath ... d422b9f98b
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Weather Alerts

Arizona Governor Katie Hobbs declares State of Emergency due to historic heat wave

PHOENIX - Officials with Arizona Governor Katie Hobbs' office announced on Aug. 11 that a State of Emergency has been declared due to the historic heat wave parts of the state experienced this summer.
:snippity:
https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizo ... -heat-wave
tek

Weather Alerts

Post by tek »

An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.0 shook the Los Angeles area Sunday afternoon, just as Tropical Storm Hilary was drenching the region with torrential rain.
The quake struck at 2:45 p.m. and was centered two miles east-southeast of Ojai in Ventura County at a depth of one kilometer, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
The quake could be felt sharply across a wide swath of the L.A. area, including Hollywood and Long Beach, and was followed by several aftershocks, including several reaching or exceeding a magnitude of 3.0.
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/magnit ... eles-area/
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

Weather Alerts

Post by poplove »

tek wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:06 pm
An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.0 shook the Los Angeles area Sunday afternoon, just as Tropical Storm Hilary was drenching the region with torrential rain.
The quake struck at 2:45 p.m. and was centered two miles east-southeast of Ojai in Ventura County at a depth of one kilometer, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
The quake could be felt sharply across a wide swath of the L.A. area, including Hollywood and Long Beach, and was followed by several aftershocks, including several reaching or exceeding a magnitude of 3.0.
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/magnit ... eles-area/
It's a hurriquake! My earthquake app keeps going off with the aftershocks. I have dear friends that live in Ojai and they are fine.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

Meh. It's only a 5.1 -- that is what Floridians think of a CAT 1 hurricane. Get over yourselves. Everyone is fine.
sugar magnolia

Weather Alerts

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:53 pm Meh. It's only a 5.1 -- that is what Floridians think of a CAT 1 hurricane. Get over yourselves. Everyone is fine.
Are you intentionally trying to be an asshole? The people who are being affected don't really care what people in FL think.

Return to “General Stuff”