bob

Ron DeSantis

Post by bob »

Yale admitted someone who referred to Anthony Ray as Sir Mixes-a-Lot? :shock:
Image ImageImage
Chilidog

Ron DeSantis

Post by Chilidog »

bob wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:47 pm Yale admitted someone who referred to Anthony Ray as Sir Mixes-a-Lot? :shock:
Affirmative action for meatballs.
Dr. Ken

Ron DeSantis

Post by Dr. Ken »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:49 pm
bob wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:47 pm Yale admitted someone who referred to Anthony Ray as Sir Mixes-a-Lot? :shock:
Affirmative action for meatballs.
That haircut though. Looks like any douchebag bully from a movie set in the 50s
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Ron DeSantis

Post by bill_g »

Oh oops! Dumbassantis. Andy took Barney's bullet for a reason.

Volkonski
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Volkonski »

DeSantis agenda leads to concerns about a Florida ‘brain drain’
In theory, it might seem easy for universities in Florida to recruit top-tier academic talent. In practice, Ron DeSantis' agenda has created a problem.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-sho ... ce=twitter
In theory, it might seem easy for colleges and universities in Florida to recruit top-tier academic talent. After all, the Sunshine State has warm weather, nice beaches, low taxes and a big, diverse population. The recruiting process practically takes care of itself.

But in practice, it’s not quite that simple. As many scholars have no doubt noticed, Ron DeSantis, Florida’s ambitious Republican governor, has already denounced college majors he disagrees with, suggesting publicly that if he disapproves of your undergraduate field of study, you should simply relocate to some other state. DeSantis has similarly waged a strange campaign against “woke” ideas in higher education, ended on-campus diversity programs, and targeted tenure.

As The Tampa Bay Times reported, the state’s Republican administration was warned that such tactics would push some professors to take positions in other states, while discouraging other top professors from considering Florida schools. The local newspaper’s research suggests the warnings had merit and “some signs of an exodus are apparent.”

The Tampa Bay Times reviewed records showing an upward tick in staff departures at some of Florida’s largest universities. And, as the Board of Governors discovered this spring, doubts about the state’s academic workplace are spreading fast. Matthew Lata, a music professor at Florida State University, told board members that candidates were turning down positions in his college “because of the perceived anti-higher education atmosphere in the state.”

To be sure, some of the evidence of a so-called brain drain is anecdotal, but it’s nevertheless difficult to dismiss out of hand. At the University of South Florida, for example, the Times pointed to a candidate for a position in the philosophy department who “took a job at a lower-ranked school in another state, pointing to Florida’s political climate.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Ron DeSantis

Post by northland10 »

FSU has a very strong music program. Hiring has never been a real issue for them. Years ago, the director of my school of music once quipped that maybe they should just send all their resumes to FSU to save time and mailing costs. We felt like the development league for FSU profs.

When my school lured an FSU prof away, there was great rejoicing (and he stayed instead of taking a higher position at FSU when it came open).
101010 :towel:
Jim

Ron DeSantis

Post by Jim »

It's really nice that the pubs want to save our kids from evil story readers while they're doing everything they can to arm every crazy in the country with weapons of mass killings so much that guns are for the first time in US history the number 1 killer of kids. I really don't think conservatives understand what Christianity means.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Ron DeSantis

Post by bill_g »

Sure they do. The GQP totally understands Christianity. Who Would Jesus Shoot?
Attachments
border jesus.png
border jesus.png (111.39 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
Gregg

Ron DeSantis

Post by Gregg »

patgund wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:34 pm Casey DeSantis seems to be what happens when you order your Jacqueline Kennedy off of Wish.com
Walmart Jackie Kennedy.
It's really nice that the pubs want to save our kids from evil story readers while they're doing everything they can to arm every crazy in the country with weapons of mass killings so much that guns are for the first time in US history the number 1 killer of kids. I really don't think conservatives understand what Christianity means.
You have to earn the right to be ignorant in Florida.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
sugar magnolia

Ron DeSantis

Post by sugar magnolia »

Gregg wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:08 pm
patgund wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:34 pm Casey DeSantis seems to be what happens when you order your Jacqueline Kennedy off of Wish.com
Walmart Jackie Kennedy.
Tacky Kennedy Onassis.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Ron DeSantis

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hateful Kennedy Onassis.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Ron DeSantis

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/7 ... -and-yikes
Casey DeSantis takes center stage, and yikes
Moar scary Casey DeSantis.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by AndyinPA »

Disturbing and disgusting. :crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Resume18

Ron DeSantis

Post by Resume18 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:51 am https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/7 ... -and-yikes
Casey DeSantis takes center stage, and yikes
Moar scary Casey DeSantis.
Oh STFU Casey.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Ron DeSantis

Post by Ben-Prime »

Gregg wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:08 pm
Walmart Jackie Kennedy.
Only because K-Mart closed all but 3 U.S. locations (though one is in Miami).
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Slim Cognito »

I was thinking more of what happens when you go looking for Jackie Kennedy at one of those surplus freight places.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Ron DeSantis

Post by raison de arizona »

RumpelSantis Snoozes His Way Through Another Florida Crisis

The redundancy would be cloying if the sheer tone deaf stupidity of it wasn’t so hilarious. The Runt Rasputin of Florida, the GOP Sultan of Somnolence, is trying to sleep walk his way through yet another Florida crisis while he runs around the country like Indiana Jones, desperately searching for a clue.

Here’s the 411. Farmers Insurance today became the 4th major insurance company to announce they are saying goom-bye to the state of Florida, leaving some 100,000 Florida residents sans home insurance coverage. DeathSantis’s automatic response? WOKE Farmers is about to become the Bud Light on insurance companies.

Wait, wait, WHAT?! What does that sh*t even mean? All Farmers did was to announce they were pulling out of Florida. Nowhere in the statement did they give him sh*t about his Don’t Say Gay law, hammer DeSantis for turning Florida schools into the 1937 Berlin school system, or his lame habit of rewarding people who had spent four months walking from El Salvador to Texas with a private jet ride to the luxury island of Martha’s Vineyard. In fact Farmers went out of its way to ensure all and sundry that this was purely a business decision.

Let me make this as simple as I can, so that even someone like DeSantis, with an anaesthesia needle permanently implanted in his arm get get it through the drug induced sleep. Not every single adverse thing that happens to either you personally, or the state of Florida is a direct reflection on your Cro-Magnon ideology and policies!
:snippity:
Much more snarky fun at the link: https://politizoom.com/rumpelsantis-sno ... da-crisis/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by AndyinPA »

Thanks!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neeneko

Ron DeSantis

Post by neeneko »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:32 pm WOKE Farmers is about to become the Bud Light on insurance companies.
'Woke' really has simply become the catch all for 'people who hurt our feelings'
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Ron DeSantis

Post by johnpcapitalist »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:32 pm
RumpelSantis Snoozes His Way Through Another Florida Crisis

Farmers Insurance today became the 4th major insurance company to announce they are saying goom-bye to the state of Florida, leaving some 100,000 Florida residents sans home insurance coverage.
The funniest part of this story is not in the satirical article, but the actual news report. DeSantis said that the insurers are going to come back after the current hurricane season. Yeah, that's a cargo cult belief that the markets will magically provide somehow...

Interestingly, a 5x rise in the price of insurance will crush home price appreciation. Buyers qualify for a total payment based on mortgage cost plus taxes and insurance. If insurance rises from $2,500 to $12,500, then the biggest price a buyer can afford will drop by about $200,000 if I'm doing the math in my head correctly. That will price a lot of people out of the housing market or drive a lot of seniors to sell if they're on fixed incomes. Way to go, Florida!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Slim Cognito »

If Hubs wasn't tied to this trial chemo treatment in Tampa, we'd have sold and moved out a year ago.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Volkonski »

Insurers take a long view of risks. They won't come back unless something happens to reduce the expected storm risks in 2024, 2025, etc.

I have no idea what could possibly happen to reduce Florida storm risks during the foreseeable future that does not involve a lot of government spending.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Ron DeSantis

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:34 pm Insurers take a long view of risks. They won't come back unless something happens to reduce the expected storm risks in 2024, 2025, etc.
To prove DeSantis is full of poppycock, one needs look no further than what happened after hurricane Andrew. Some national carriers left and never came back. Allstate is the one I am most familiar with as I was doing consulting for them. The claims closing mandate was R&R (remove and replace) -- no nickle and diming policy holders -- and then left the market.
pipistrelle

Ron DeSantis

Post by pipistrelle »

Relevant as some of it's about Florida.

How Climate Change Could Sink the US Real Estate Market
Rising seas, fires, and outdated government policies threaten a repeat of the subprime mortgage meltdown
:snippity:
A basic problem will remain: The climate risks that are inherent in places like California's Sierra Nevada foothills and coastal Florida are not being reflected in housing prices and insurance rates. Flaws in the market and largely invisible government subsidies are keeping costs artificially low and contributing to those regions' attractiveness to buyers. In 2021, researchers found that houses in flood zones around the United States are overvalued by $44 billion; a year later, the actuarial firm Milliman put that number at $520 billion. The real figure is likely somewhere in between, but it's undeniably huge—and neither of those studies included homes exposed to potential fire, heat, or drought.

Climate change's impact on the housing market is in many ways an economics issue; it involves supply and demand, market signals, subsidies, and incentives. At its heart, however, this is a deeply human problem, one propelled less by giant, impersonal forces than by our individual efforts to create a good life for ourselves and to forge a connection to place and a sense of home.

Those powerful desires for belonging drive us—but only so far. When the possibility of disaster grows too great, or when weather-related nuisances become a regular thing, people eventually leave. Real estate experts say that if that were to occur at a large scale and many home­owners abandoned their mortgages, the United States could experience a housing crisis that rivals the 2008 market meltdown and lands squarely in the laps of US taxpayers, hurting low-income people in particular.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Slim Cognito »

Crossposting:

My morning routine involves me waking up, grabbing my phone and reading the days' news before crawling out of bed. Today, I ran across this one...

https://nbc-2.com/news/politics/2023/07 ... as-system/
Hundreds of thousands of vote-by-mail requests erased from Florida’s system

Most everything has an expiration date, but one thing you may not have expected to expire was your vote-by-mail ballot.

NBC2 has learned hundreds of thousands of vote-by-mail requests have been wiped out of the system in every county in the state.

This means most of us right now will not receive a ballot in the upcoming March primary.

Lee County would like to have about 250,000 vote-by-mail requests in its system, but currently only has 23,000.
I jumped out of bed, ran into the office and looked up our voter registrations in the Lee County site and, sure enough, no mail-in ballot request. I immediately updated them (again). Thanks to DuhSantis, the request now has to be renewed after every general election. Boy, that's gonna sting when a bunch of people realize they missed the deadline to enroll and are going to have to stand in line to vote.

There was no notification. You were supposed to magically know your mail-in request had lapsed. I'm debating whether or not to inform my R neighbors.... Prolly not.

Do we have a thread where we can post updates for every state to help us remember to check our status, whatever we want it to be? If not, I'm happy to start one.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”