X -Where Twitter goes to die.

sugar magnolia

Twitter

Post by sugar magnolia »

An article I saw this morning said beware of downloading threads if you use your IG a lot. Once threads is downloaded, the only way you can get rid of it is to delete IG with it.
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:51 pm An article I saw this morning said beware of downloading threads if you use your IG a lot. Once threads is downloaded, the only way you can get rid of it is to delete IG with it.
I'm wondering if I can set up an anonymous account on Threads, not linked to either my Instagram account or my Facebook account.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

New Twitter rules restrict US weather service, raising safety fears
Limits on number of tweets users can see have prevented National Weather Service from receiving key reports

Maya Yang
Fri 7 Jul 2023 11.00 BST

Twitter’s new volume limits on viewing posts suddenly left several National Weather Service (NWS) offices across the US unable to receive tweets from storm spotters who help with tracking extreme weather, including during storms this week – prompting safety warnings.

NWS Boulder in Colorado announced on 4 July that due to Twitter’s limits, implemented as part of Elon Musk’s abrupt changes to the platform’s usability late last month, “we are unable to access most tweets at this time. Send reports to our other social media accounts or direct through our email/phone lines.” The story was first reported by the Denver Post.

“If you are a storm spotter, head to weather.gov/bou/spotters for additional info,” the office said, adding shortly afterwards: “While we have found some workarounds to view specific tweets, we are not able to efficiently sift through this during active severe weather events. Thank you for your understanding. Automated watches and warnings will still disseminate as normal, but no other tweets are planned.”

The NWS office in Wakefield, Virginia, announced similar impacts, local media reported, saying: “Due to new limits on the number of tweets an account can view per day, we may be unable to see tweeted reports of severe weather and associated damage. Please contact our office directly at 757-899-2415 with any reports.”

The Wilmington, North Carolina, office tweeted the same message and directed users to submit their severe weather alerts to a Google Form instead.

In response to a user saying, “Someone said if you access twitter through their website instead of the app that the limits don’t apply. I’m assuming it’s worth a try,” the Wakefield office replied: “Unfortunately, it doesn’t matter on our end. We still have significant problems using Twitter on both a mobile device and a PC.”

Musk imposed a viewing limit on the majority of users who use the service, restricting unverified accounts to viewing 600 tweets a day. A day later, the limit increased to 1,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ice-safety
noblepa

Twitter

Post by noblepa »

Kids, can you say "The law of unintended consequences"?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

Eh, Elmo doesn’t want the gubmint on his twatter anyway.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Twitter

Twitter Sues Law Firm Over $90 Million Payment in Elon Musk Deal
The lawsuit targeted Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, a well-known Wall Street law firm, for “unjust enrichment” related to Mr. Musk’s $44 billion purchase of Twitter.

Twitter’s parent company sued a leading corporate law firm on Friday for what it said were unjust payments related to Elon Musk’s $44 billion acquisition of the social media company last year.

A $90 million payment that Twitter made to Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, a top mergers and acquisitions firm, amounted to “unjust enrichment” and should be paid back, according to the lawsuit, which the parent company, X Corp., filed in San Francisco Superior Court.

The lawsuit said Wachtell Lipton took “funds from the company cash register while the keys were being handed over” to Mr. Musk, who owns X Corp.

Twitter’s previous management hired Wachtell Lipton after Mr. Musk tried to terminate his agreement to acquire the company last year. He was unsuccessful, and the purchase closed in October.
:snippity:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/07/tech ... ipton.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

:popcorn:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:49 pm Image
Awww...not the bird's fault.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Flatpoint High »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:12 pm
neonzx wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:49 pm Image
Awww...not the bird's fault.
allhailthefailwhale.jpeg
allhailthefailwhale.jpeg (36.41 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

Jim wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:31 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:19 pm Is hiring employees you fired actually poaching?
Musk should be more worried about all the advertisers who will soon be leaving for Threads...that's $$$ out of Musk's pocket directly. Suppose that soon the next suit will be complaining about poaching advertisers.

Wonder what the time frame of that will be?
What are you doing for lunch?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:33 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:51 pm An article I saw this morning said beware of downloading threads if you use your IG a lot. Once threads is downloaded, the only way you can get rid of it is to delete IG with it.
I'm wondering if I can set up an anonymous account on Threads, not linked to either my Instagram account or my Facebook account.
No. You'd have to set up another IG account, Threads is kind of a sub-app to IG as far as I understand it.

Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

I have an IG account that I’ve never used. Setting up threads was easy but I doubt I’ll be a regular. Elon’s made social media much less attractive to me.
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

Now that's just Darwin there... :bag:

raison de arizona

Twitter

Yaccarino is Twitter’s CEO.
IMG_5300.png
IMG_5300.png (247.17 KiB) Viewed 853 times
https://www.threads.net/t/CuiBCwOydC6/
sugar magnolia

Twitter

Post by sugar magnolia »

Isn't last week when they were restricting twitter? Odd how restricting usage resulted in higher numbers. Or maybe I just don't understand numbers.
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

I'm speculating, but I think its probably the way they DDOSed themselves. Remember that when they throttled app users the Apps started Spamming requests to twitter, which caused their servers to fall over and close connections

Well, if you count all those requests as an individual use, you can say they had the best week of usage ever!
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Twitter

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, that's probably it. :smoking:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
noblepa

Twitter

Post by noblepa »

Suranis wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:29 am I'm speculating, but I think its probably the way they DDOSed themselves. Remember that when they throttled app users the Apps started Spamming requests to twitter, which caused their servers to fall over and close connections

Well, if you count all those requests as an individual use, you can say they had the best week of usage ever!
Or maybe it was all the twitter users posting one last tweet saying "Goodbye, Elon", as they jumped ship to Threads.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

Twitter blocks links to rival Threads, while CEO downplays reports of traffic decline

https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/11/twitt ... c-decline/
Recently hired Twitter CEO Linda Yaccarino is pushing back at reports that Twitter traffic is tanking as a result of the July 5th launch of a new competitor, Instagram Threads. But the company does seem to be concerned about the potential threat posed by Meta’s rival, now topping 100 million users. On Monday, users reported that Twitter seems to be selectively blocking links to Threads.net’s website in Twitter searches, making it more difficult for anyone to surface conversations on Threads or locate users’ profiles.

Technologist Andy Baio was among those who noticed the change on Twitter after performing a search using the operator “url:threads.net,” which returned no results. Typically, this search operator would pull in any tweets with links to the website specified — and there are plenty of tweets that have threads.net links now included. :snippity:
raison de arizona

Twitter

Free speech?
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

Suranis wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:29 am I'm speculating, but I think its probably the way they DDOSed themselves. Remember that when they throttled app users the Apps started Spamming requests to twitter, which caused their servers to fall over and close connections

OMG I am almost positive that's right. Can't decide if that's funny because, well, they're counting own goals, or if it's funny because they don't realize that's what they're counting.

Funny either way.

raison de arizona

Twitter

Taking his victory lap :lol:
IMG_5313.png
IMG_5313.png (298.04 KiB) Viewed 628 times
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Twitter

Post by Luke »

Sugar, it's true that Threads is a sub app of Instagram -- but you don't have to delete both, you can just make your Threads account private and problem solved, Instagram is still there. It's MAGAts trying to scare people.

The stats Linda quoted were the Previous Week before Threads launched.

I'm still waiting for desktop, but I'll go ahead and add "add your Threads handle" to the Threads topic if folks want to share that (can make it members only too also).

Threads is about to implement Instagram's "sponsored content" tools, which advertisers are clamoring for since no ads on Threads yet. The SC will be clearly marked (unlike Twitter) and is just for influencers who have cross promo deals (like IG).

Elmo can waste his time and keep laughing while Threads continues to grow.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Kriselda Gray »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:00 am I'm still waiting for desktop,
any idea how long before that's active?

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”