X -Where Twitter goes to die.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

Estiveo wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:53 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:37 pm Of course I lost the tweet (or was it a post?) but a fired Twitter tech says mucking about with the rate limits can cause unintended consequences that are painful to sort out so that's why they rarely touched them. Something to that effect. Good thing a Stable Genius is at the helm, innit?
I saw that too, also. It was Yoel Roth. He said rate limits were the most locked down part of all of Twitter, because it's exceptionally sensitive & messing with it had the potential to be catastrophic and very hard to fix.
Elon Musk blamed data scraping for strict 'rate limits' on viewing tweets. Twitter's former head of trust and safety says it's not the first time the site's been broken by someone 'bumbling around in the rate limiter.'
https://www.businessinsider.com/yoel-ro ... age-2023-7
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Estiveo
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20230703_180004.jpg
Estiveoshot_20230703_180004.jpg (95.49 KiB) Viewed 3854 times
Image Image Image Image
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

Estiveo wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:53 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:37 pm Of course I lost the tweet (or was it a post?) but a fired Twitter tech says mucking about with the rate limits can cause unintended consequences that are painful to sort out so that's why they rarely touched them. Something to that effect. Good thing a Stable Genius is at the helm, innit?
I saw that too, also. It was Yoel Roth. He said rate limits were the most locked down part of all of Twitter, because it's exceptionally sensitive & messing with it had the potential to be catastrophic and very hard to fix.
Thanks-I got it mostly right, which is unusual. Except he wasn't fired; he quit.

I went over to post tonight and found many of my favorite accounts from Twitter over there like Acyn, MacFarlane, Ruper, AngryStaffer, et. al., so will be checking it out more often.
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

A viral left-wing Twitter account may have been fake all along / The Erica Marsh account shows how ‘rage baiting’ remains a powerful way to win attention and score political points (gifted)
In eight months, Erica Marsh has become one of the most consistently viral left-wing voices on Twitter, gaining more than 130,000 followers for her hyper-liberal, often melodramatic opinions on the biggest flash points in American news.

She’s been especially popular with conservatives, who promoted her as a perfect symbol of how overly theatrical and inane progressives can be — like when she attacked the Supreme Court’s affirmative-action decision last week by saying “no Black person will be able to succeed in a merit-based system.” The tweet was viewed more than 27 million times.

There’s just one problem: She’s probably a fake.

The “proud Democrat” in Washington, as she described herself on Twitter, doesn’t show up in any local phone or voting records. The Biden presidential campaign, where she said she worked as a field organizer, has no record of her; neither does the Obama Foundation, where she claimed to have volunteered.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Twitter

Post by Reality Check »

Estiveo wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:01 pm :snippity:
As of this morning if you switch to the crappy new Tweetdeck you cannot switch back.
neeneko

Twitter

Post by neeneko »

Ugh. /b tards used to this all the time, they loved setting up fake feminist blogs that read like a repiller's fantasy of feminism. I guess the only thing that has changed is now people can monetize it instead of just doing it for the lulz.
Estiveo
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Estiveo »

I haven't been able to get into Twitter since last night. If it loads at all, I get:
Estiveoshot_20230705_085237.jpg
Estiveoshot_20230705_085237.jpg (25.58 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
Image Image Image Image
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

This showed up in For You. What?
IMG_0816.jpeg
IMG_0816.jpeg (200.45 KiB) Viewed 3658 times
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Twitter

Post by Reality Check »

I got a suggestion to follow Chuckles Kerchner.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

Twitter silently removes login requirement for viewing tweets

https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/05/twitt ... ng-tweets/
Days after requiring users to log in to view tweets, Twitter has silently removed these restrictions. This means you can open Twitter links in a browser without an account.

We at TechCrunch noticed that tweet previews are unfurling in Slack and WhatsApp. Folks at Engadget noted that Twitter previews were visible on iMessage as well.

When Twitter started enforcing the login requirement, Musk said that he took these “temporary” measures to prevent data scraping.

“Temporary emergency measure. We were getting data pillaged so much that it was degrading service for normal users!” he said in a tweet.

The company hasn’t made any official announcement about allowing users to view links when you aren’t logged in or given any details on what measures it has taken to stop scraping.

Twitter’s move comes a day before Meta launches its own text-based app called Threads. Interestingly, Threads also briefly allowed users to view posts on the web without logging in before pulling the links. It is likely that people will be able to see Threads posts without an account when the app officially launches. :snippity:
Azastan
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Azastan »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:02 pm Twitter silently removes login requirement for viewing tweets

Still getting blocking messages here on my pc as of 5 pm here in Seattle.
Kendra

Twitter

Post by Kendra »

Azastan wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:57 pm
neonzx wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:02 pm Twitter silently removes login requirement for viewing tweets

Still getting blocking messages here on my pc as of 5 pm here in Seattle.
Same here, 5:18 PM Pacific.
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

I am back to getting that Log in pop up that I dismiss by hitting the X in the corner.

Its at the left hand top corner, whereas the tight top corner is more usual in windows. Not sure if significant, its just a little odd.
Hic sunt dracones
Azastan
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Azastan »

Now I can click on a post, and get taken to THAT particular tweet, but it won't allow me to view replies.

Poor Elon must be annoyed that people are fleeing to a more sane social media site.
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Elon is threatening to sue Meta over Threads -

https://www.threads.net/t/CuXaCpJOpIW/
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

An article about that threat -

Twitter is threatening to sue Meta over Threads
Twitter is threatening legal action against Meta over its new text-based “Twitter killer” platform, accusing the social media giant of poaching former employees to create a “copycat” application.

On Wednesday, Instagram parent company Meta introduced Threads, a text-based companion to Instagram that resembles Twitter and other text-based social platforms. Just hours later, a lawyer for Twitter, Alex Spiro, sent a letter to Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg accusing the company of engaging in “systematic, willful, and unlawful misappropriation of Twitter’s trade secrets and other intellectual property.”

“Twitter intends to strictly enforce its intellectual property rights, and demands that Meta take immediate steps to stop using any Twitter trade secrets or other highly confidential information,” Spiro wrote in a letter obtained exclusively by Semafor. “Twitter reserves all rights, including, but not limited to, the right to seek both civil remedies and injunctive relief without further notice to prevent any further retention, disclosure, or use of its intellectual property by Meta.”

Spiro accused Meta of hiring dozens of former Twitter employees who “had and continue to have access to Twitter’s trade secrets and other highly confidential information.”

He also alleged that Meta assigned those employees to develop “Meta’s copycat ‘Threads’ app with the specific intent that they use Twitter’s trade secrets and other intellectual property in order to accelerate the development of Meta’s competing app, in violation of both state and federal law as well as those employees’ ongoing obligations to Twitter.”

A Meta source told Semafor that Twitter’s accusations are baseless.

“No one on the Threads engineering team is a former Twitter employee — that’s just not a thing,” the source said.
More at the link above.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

Elmo makes shit up, news at 11.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Jim

Twitter

Post by Jim »

Haven't been on Threads and never joined Twitter...maybe they're going about this all wrong? Maybe they should try going after the look and feel like Apple did? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_and_feel
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Is hiring employees you fired actually poaching?
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
bob

Twitter

Post by bob »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:19 pm Is hiring employees you fired actually poaching?
The allegation isn't mere poaching, but that these ex-Twitter employees shared Twitter's trade secrets with Meta.

The responses tend to be PIDOH (proof, or it didn't happen) or "Musk said it; I believe it; that settles it."
Image ImageImage
Dave from down under

Twitter

Post by Dave from down under »

Is Threads working?

Then it obviously isn't using Twitter design. :boxing:
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

Dave from down under wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:11 am Is Threads working?

Then it obviously isn't using Twitter design. :boxing:
Works fine for me, I just can't find my friends.

I am, after all, a VERY BIG DEAL, seeing as I have almost 100 followers on Twitter. :mrgreen:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Twitter

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Gregg wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:42 am
Works fine for me, I just can't find my friends.

I am, after all, a VERY BIG DEAL, seeing as I have almost 100 followers on Twitter. :mrgreen:
As Keeper of the Hounds you ARE a VERY BIG DEAL not just on Twitter!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

:P :lol:

Jim

Twitter

Post by Jim »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:19 pm Is hiring employees you fired actually poaching?
Musk should be more worried about all the advertisers who will soon be leaving for Threads...that's $$$ out of Musk's pocket directly. Suppose that soon the next suit will be complaining about poaching advertisers.

Wonder what the time frame of that will be?

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”