Hijack This Thread

June bug

Hijack This Thread

Post by June bug »

So sorry, Sugar. Hope your mom gets the care she needs and is up and about soon. :bighug:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Can you send the idiot sister on an urgent out-of-state errand?
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:28 pm Can you send the idiot sister on an urgent out-of-state errand?
We can't even get her to leave the room so more than one person can visit at the time.

More bad weather came through last night and now even more of my fence is down. Can't wait for it to be fixed so the dog can go outside and run again.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

https://wapo.st/46zzAMa
Do people still have landline telephones? Thus asks reader Sharon Claffey of Williamstown, Mass., echoing a question we’ve heard quite a bit this year.

We’re just as curious about that as you are, Sharon! And the startling answer is that about 73 percent of American adults lived in a household without a landline at the end of last year — a figure that has tripled since 2010.

:snippity:

With the help of NORC at the University of Chicago, the NCHS also models household phone usage for all 50 states, albeit at a slight lag (the latest figures are from 2020). Landlines have been left behind most enthusiastically by folks in Idaho and places like it — rural, rootless, mountainous Western states — as well as Oklahoma, which has a decent claim to being both Western and mountainous (look it up), and Mississippi, which doesn’t. The states that cling to their physical phone connections are New York and places like it — dense, deeply rooted Northeastern states — as well as Maryland, which dangles from the bottom of the Northeast like Spanish moss.

So the search began for other variables. Specifically, we needed something that would affect telephones but not other tech, and that would apply to customers in the Northeast but not to customers living anywhere else.

In retrospect, the answer is obvious. Telephone access doesn’t depend on demographics alone. Unlike most of the things we track, it’s also a business relationship. And since the breakup of Ma Bell in 1984, approximately one company (and its predecessors) has controlled landline phones in almost every Northeastern state.

That would be Verizon.
I live in the Northeast. I still have a landline. Verizon.

My husband was most resistant to changing it, but I think somewhere in the next year or less, I am probably going to drop it. Our cell phones are AT&T, and I think I'm also going to change that, too. In fairness to my husband, he did have a business line and fax line that he didn't want to change, but he gradually dissolved the business starting about five years ago.

Gifted. Some interesting data and visuals.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

We got rid of the landlines when we moved. We have AT&T, which I would love to get rid of but can’t. We have a cellular hotspot with truly unlimited data (no throttle-back), and the AT&T guy said that was a loss-leader promo that they’ll never run again. It’s the only internet we have at the moment.

I held my nose and signed up for starlink, but it hasn’t come thru yet.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

As long as I live in this house, I will have a landline. I love that it always works and that it always has a good connection. Moreover, I HATE giving my cell phone number to any business. I do NOT want to be available to businesses 24/7. I don't want to get their follow up "Rate our service" text messages. The cell phone is for MY convenience, not theirs.

It's interesting seeing what my Seattle sister is thinking about now. Her wife had worked for Qwest, and received a free landline for life when she retired 10 years ago. Well, my sister-in-law passed away in April. So far the phone bill hasn't changed, but right now my sister is thinking of canceling it if and when it does. My sister is trying to cut expenses and she definitely relies more on her cell phone than her landline.

By the way, my sister-in-law had, at one time, worked in Qwest's sales department, in the commercial public phones area (you know... public phones within a mall or airport, for example). The day she saw someone drive up to a public phone booth, hop out to look up a phone number in the phone book, then make the call on their own cell phone, was the day my sister-in-law knew that she needed to get out of that department because public phones were dying.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Funny thing, I just cancelled my land line service this afternoon. It was a VOIP service through OOMA that I've had for years. It worked fine but I think I've gotten two calls on it in the last year and I never use it to call out. They tried about 5 different ways to have me keep the service but I just don't need it even if it was free.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:33 pm Funny thing, I just cancelled my land line service this afternoon. It was a VOIP service through OOMA that I've had for years. It worked fine but I think I've gotten two calls on it in the last year and I never use it to call out. They tried about 5 different ways to have me keep the service but I just don't need it even if it was free.
Well, to be correct, VOIP was never a "land line". Two-pair copper wire was. And when sh*t hit the fan, the phone still worked -- no power required.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Thinking about it, I mostly use only my cell phone, although we still get real calls on the landline. Actually, though, I rarely have more than two bars at my house, so I'll have to think about it more. We live with a hill that slopes up behind us and behind the ball field across the street, the hill also rises. We aren't really in a hollow, but we're pretty far down the hill that if affects our service. Not only that, but we have four lines into the house, so I would definitely take it down to just one. I'm making a lot of decisions these days, and this one isn't a major one.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:58 pm Thinking about it, I mostly use only my cell phone, although we still get real calls on the landline. Actually, though, I rarely have more than two bars at my house, so I'll have to think about it more. We live with a hill that slopes up behind us and behind the ball field across the street, the hill also rises. We aren't really in a hollow, but we're pretty far down the hill that if affects our service. Not only that, but we have four lines into the house, so I would definitely take it down to just one. I'm making a lot of decisions these days, and this one isn't a major one.
Andy, most cellular carriers support voice over WIFI today. I have one bar on cell in my home but perfect voice and text indoors. Check into it. It does not cost extra (it is actually cheaper for your carrier). If I am on a call and leave the house, it blimps for a couple seconds as it switches to the cellular tower.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Shizzle Popped »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:45 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:33 pm Funny thing, I just cancelled my land line service this afternoon. It was a VOIP service through OOMA that I've had for years. It worked fine but I think I've gotten two calls on it in the last year and I never use it to call out. They tried about 5 different ways to have me keep the service but I just don't need it even if it was free.
Well, to be correct, VOIP was never a "land line". Two-pair copper wire was. And when sh*t hit the fan, the phone still worked -- no power required.
In a conventional sense, yes, but it still requires a wired connection unless you're one of the small percentage of people who get internet wirelessly. It's also generally tethered to a single location.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:06 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:58 pm Thinking about it, I mostly use only my cell phone, although we still get real calls on the landline. Actually, though, I rarely have more than two bars at my house, so I'll have to think about it more. We live with a hill that slopes up behind us and behind the ball field across the street, the hill also rises. We aren't really in a hollow, but we're pretty far down the hill that if affects our service. Not only that, but we have four lines into the house, so I would definitely take it down to just one. I'm making a lot of decisions these days, and this one isn't a major one.
Andy, most cellular carriers support voice over WIFI today. I have one bar on cell in my home but perfect voice and text indoors. Check into it. It does not cost extra (it is actually cheaper for your carrier). If I am on a call and leave the house, it blimps for a couple seconds as it switches to the cellular tower.
Thanks.
Off Topic
I've got Isaly's BBQ on the stove at the moment.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Malaria cases in Texas and Florida are the first US spread since 2003, CDC says

MIKE STOBBE
Updated Tue, June 27, 2023 at 3:13 AM GMT+2

NEW YORK (AP) — The United States has seen five cases of malaria spread by mosquitos in the last two months — the first time there's been local spread in 20 years.

There were four cases detected in Florida and one in Texas, according to a health alert issued Monday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Malaria is caused by a parasite that spreads through mosquito bites. Infected people can suffer fever, chills and flu-like illness. If it goes untreated, infected people can develop severe complications and die. The largest death toll in recent years has been seen in children in sub-Saharan Africa.

Health officials are warning doctors, especially those in southern states where the weather is more friendly to the tropical mosquito that spreads malaria, to be aware of the possibility of infection. They also should think about how to access the IV drug that is the first-line treatment for severe malaria in the United States, the CDC said.

The agency said that the people who were diagnosed received treatment and “are improving.”

About 2,000 U.S. cases of malaria are diagnosed each year — the vast majority in travelers coming from countries where malaria commonly spreads.

Since 1992, there've been 11 outbreaks involving malaria from mosquitoes in the U.S. The last one occurred in 2003 in Palm Beach County, Florida, where eight cases were reported

https://www.yahoo.com/news/malaria-case ... 26807.html
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

:lol:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
John Thomas8

Hijack This Thread

Post by John Thomas8 »

Tom' journey came to an end today in Los Angeles, and the NFL Network's Rich Eisen had him on:

RVInit

Hijack This Thread

Post by RVInit »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:48 am
Malaria cases in Texas and Florida are the first US spread since 2003, CDC says
Malaria is caused by a parasite that spreads through mosquito bites. Infected people can suffer fever, chills and flu-like illness. If it goes untreated, infected people can develop severe complications and die. The largest death toll in recent years has been seen in children in sub-Saharan Africa.

About 2,000 U.S. cases of malaria are diagnosed each year — the vast majority in travelers coming from countries where malaria commonly spreads.

Since 1992, there've been 11 outbreaks involving malaria from mosquitoes in the U.S. The last one occurred in 2003 in Palm Beach County, Florida, where eight cases were reported

https://www.yahoo.com/news/malaria-case ... 26807.html
When I was a kid we lived in Panama. I got home from school one day to find strange adults in our house. They told us both of our parents were in the hospital with malaria and my sisters and I had to temporarily stay with this other family until they were well enough to come home. That was really weird. If I remember correctly they were in the hospital for at least two weeks.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

Your PSA for the day:

Having a cold and using a CPAP sucks.

Thank you.

We now return to your regularly scheduled shenanigans.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

jez wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:36 am Your PSA for the day:

Thank you.

I didn't get the schedule! :crying:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

Thank you.

Yeah, I think I meant to mention that.

My sleep when I had COVID (mostly head congestion/loss of taste and smell) was atrocious.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

That time of year again here.

https://www.visitpittsburgh.com/pittsburgh-anthrocon/

Pittsburgh is thrilled to welcome back Anthrocon to the David L. Lawrence Convention Center June 29-July 2, 2023 for Anthropolis: Our Furry City. One of the largest anthropomorphics (human-like animal characters) conventions in the world, thousands of attendees travel to Pittsburgh for this unique celebration that makes Downtown the most exciting place to be in the city.
Anthrocon’s Pittsburgh Legacy

Anthrocon is all about community, inviting anthropomorphics from across the country to meet up, discover something new and have a ton of fun together. The four-day convention, held in Pittsburgh since 2006, features everything from educational sessions on making a fursuit to escape rooms, dance parties, writing workshops and art shows.

The best part? Everyone is welcome to Anthrocon, even if you don't want to don a fursuit. With a massive art alley to explore, renowned DJs to dance to and parades and parties to join in, Anthrocon is a celebration for all of Pittsburgh to enjoy!
Patagoniagirl

Hijack This Thread

Post by Patagoniagirl »

That sounds like an absolute blast!
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Thank you.

That's the exception I make for using medicines, I use a nasal spray. brand name in Switzerland is Triofan, about twenty minutes before bed time. Clears the nose, suppresses the slimy stuff. Only short time use, it can make dependant. Or in the case of a cold, I sleep upright in may comfortable chair.
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Aspartame sweetener to be declared possible cancer risk by WHO, say reports
Artificial sweetener used in thousands of products reportedly to be labelled ‘possibly carcinogenic to humans’

Andrew Gregory Health editor
Thu 29 Jun 2023 15.02 BST

A popular artificial sweetener used in thousands of products worldwide including Diet Coke, ice-cream and chewing gum is to be declared a possible cancer risk to humans, according to reports.

The World Health Organization’s cancer research arm, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), has conducted a safety review of aspartame and will publish a report next month.

It is preparing to label the sweetener as “possibly carcinogenic to humans”, Reuters reported on Thursday. That would mean there is some evidence linking aspartame to cancer, but that it is limited. The IARC has two more serious categories, “probably carcinogenic to humans” and “carcinogenic to humans”.

The move is likely to prove controversial. The IARC has faced criticism for causing alarm about hard-to-avoid substances or situations.

It previously put working overnight and consuming red meat into its probably cancer-causing class, and listed using mobile phones as possibly cancer-causing.

The IARC safety review was conducted to assess whether or not aspartame is a potential hazard, based on all the published evidence, a person familiar with the matter told the Guardian. However, it does not take into account how much of a product a person can safely consume.

That advice comes from a separate WHO expert committee on food additives, the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (Jecfa), which has also been reviewing aspartame use this year. It is due to announce its findings on the same day the IARC makes public its decision, on 14 July.

“IARC has assessed the potential carcinogenic effect of aspartame (hazard identification),” an IARC spokesperson confirmed to the Guardian.

“Following this, the joint FAO/WHO expert committee on food additives will update its risk assessment exercise on aspartame, including the reviewing of the acceptable daily intake and dietary exposure assessment for aspartame. The result of both evaluations will be made available together, on 14 July 2023.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... rcinogenic

Return to “General Stuff”