General Law and Lawsuits

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:07 am I maintain that the worst American mispronunciation of Spanish words is the city Nuestra Señora La Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula, otherwise known as loss annjeless (or L.A.).
;) now try the ancient ceremonial name for Bangkok, Thailand: Krung Thep Maha Nakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yutthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udom Ratchaniwet Maha Sathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... l_name.ogg
RTH10260

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

Dramatic week in Montana climate trial as youngsters tell of toll on lives
Youth plaintiffs accuse state officials of violating their right to a healthy environment in landmark case in Helena

Dharna Noor
Sat 17 Jun 2023 09.00 BST

Grace Gibson-Snyder, 19, loves her home state of Montana. Thinking about its future fills her with fear.

She’s seen the lands she loves change since she was a child, she told the first judicial district court of Montana this week. The rivers she grew up rafting are getting lower amid frequent dry spells. The air she breathes in during soccer practice more frequently fills with wildfire smoke. And in Glacier national park in Montana’s Rocky Mountains, the glaciers are melting.

“I have hopefully 80 years left of living in Montana and living on this earth,” she said on the stand. “Knowing that my health will be in danger for those 80 years, my livelihood, my home? That’s a long time to live with that.”

Gibson-Snyder is one of the one of the 16 youth plaintiffs in the 2020 lawsuit Held v Montana. It’s being heard in the state capital, Helena, this week and next, marking the first constitutional climate trial in US history.

The 16 young challengers argue that by enacting pro fossil-fuel policies, state officials have violated their constitutional rights to a healthy environment.

Similar youth-led constitutional lawsuits are currently pending in four other states; one federal suit, Juliana v United States, is also pending and was recently announced to be headed to trial.

But Held v Montana is the first to reach that crucial stage. The case, which will be decided by Judge Kathy Seeley, could have reverberations around the country, experts say.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ial-helena
somerset

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by somerset »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:07 am I maintain that the worst American mispronunciation of Spanish words is the city Nuestra Señora La Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula, otherwise known as loss annjeless (or L.A.).
Just like a cover song, sometimes ya gotta make it your own ;)
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by keith »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:12 am
keith wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:42 am
Sam the Centipede wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:37 am
:fingerwag: :fingerwag: Pot meet kettle: do you pronounce the name correctly? No, I don't mean the mangled way English speakers pronounce it, but correctly as a speaker of the Tohono Oʼodham language might? Or even as the not-as-mangled-as-English Spanish version Tucsón, which at least includes the central plosive?

Matthew 7:1-5, eh? ;)
► Show Spoiler
Tucsonans who were around before about the mid 1950's pronounce it Tucsón. After the influx of Easterners, especially Sooners and Texans, that saw the town grow from around 40000 people to 250000 people in the mid 60's the pronunciation changed to the current 'too sahn'.

The word is not even close to the Tohono O'odham word(s) from which it was derived, and no, I do not speak it.

Out of curiosity do you pronounce 'Detroit' as it would be by the original French namers, as 'old time' Michiganders would, or as it is generally 'mispronounced' today?

ETA: Oh yeah. Do you pronounce Amarillo Texas as the Spanish who named it would have as the Spanish word it is or as the Texas usurpers do?
Yes
SO
  • Day twah
  • D troy it
  • Dee troyt
Make a commitment for cryin' out loud! :oldman:
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
W. Kevin Vicklund

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

keith wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:11 pm
keith wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:42 am

Tucsonans who were around before about the mid 1950's pronounce it Tucsón. After the influx of Easterners, especially Sooners and Texans, that saw the town grow from around 40000 people to 250000 people in the mid 60's the pronunciation changed to the current 'too sahn'.

The word is not even close to the Tohono O'odham word(s) from which it was derived, and no, I do not speak it.

Out of curiosity do you pronounce 'Detroit' as it would be by the original French namers, as 'old time' Michiganders would, or as it is generally 'mispronounced' today?

ETA: Oh yeah. Do you pronounce Amarillo Texas as the Spanish who named it would have as the Spanish word it is or as the Texas usurpers do?
Yes
SO
  • Day twah
  • D troy it
  • Dee troyt
I worked in Detroit for nearly 20 years. That's three of the four ways I pronounce it.
tek

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by tek »

Off Topic
All I know is that, the first time I visited Detriot, I was reminded that "Gratiot" is pronounced "grey shit"
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Maybenaut »

I live in Luray, Virginia.

Most people not from here pronounce it luh RAY. And the locals say, “Yer not fum around here, are ya?”

And when you try to pronounce it like they do, and say LOO ray, you get, “Yer not fum around here, are ya?”

I’ve listened very carefully. Now I think there is equal stress on both syllables - Loo Ray. It’s subtle.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
keith

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by keith »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:52 am

Yes
SO
  • Day twah
  • D troy it
  • Dee troyt
I worked in Detroit for nearly 20 years. That's three of the four ways I pronounce it.
I suppose the fourth way is .'West Windsor'?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
RTH10260

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

EPA sued over reapproval of toxic herbicides using Agent Orange chemical
Federal suit brought by public health groups alleges agency’s science shows human risks and harm to endangered species

Tom Perkins
Mon 19 Jun 2023 11.00 BST

Public health groups are suing the US Environmental Protection Agency over the reapproval of two toxic herbicides made with an active ingredient in Agent Orange, a chemical weapon deployed by the US to destroy vegetation in the Vietnam war, and which caused huge health problems among soldiers and Vietnamese residents.

The federal suit alleges the EPA’s science shows the human health risks and harm to endangered species associated with widely spreading the chemical on US cropland, but the agency failed to properly calculate those risks during the reapproval process. The herbicide is also prone to damaging non-GMO crops or vegetation on neighboring fields.

The suit asks a federal judge to order the agency to rescind its approval and recalculate the environmental and health risks using proper methodology.

“[The herbicides] are highly toxic and have devastating impacts on wildlife and rural communities that live near sprayed fields,” said Kristina Sinclair, an attorney with the Center for Food Safety. The non-profit brought the suit with Pesticide Action Network North America, and Alianza Nacional de Campesinas.

It comes after a federal court invalidated the herbicides’ previous approval in late 2020, but the EPA still “rushed” to reapprove the herbicides, the complaint alleges.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ge-lawsuit
W. Kevin Vicklund

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

keith wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:50 am
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:52 am

SO
  • Day twah
  • D troy it
  • Dee troyt
I suppose the fourth way is .'West Windsor'?
NOBODY expects the Detroit Pronunciation! Our chief diction is Day-twah...Day-twah and D-troy-it...D-troy-it and Day-twah.... Our two dictions are D-troy-it and Day-twah...and Dee-troyt.... Our *three* dictions are D-troy-it, and Day-twah, and Dee-troyt...and Duh-troyt.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our dictions.... Amongst our elocutions...are such elements as D-troy-it, Day-twah.... I'll come in again.
AndyinPA
Verified:

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by AndyinPA »

Off Topic
I lived near Detroit for a while (Ann Arbor and Warren). Da Troit seemed to work for me. My dad said Dee troit.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by keith »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:25 pm
Off Topic
I lived near Detroit for a while (Ann Arbor and Warren). Da Troit seemed to work for me. My dad said Dee troit.
My grandmother said D'troy-it. My Mother said D'troyt. I usually say Dee-troyt

But sometimes I just say:

MN-Skeptic

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:42 am Andreas Flaten of Fayetteville, Ga., gave his boss two weeks’ notice that he was quitting A-OK Walker Luxury Autoworks in Peachtree City due to the company’s “toxic work environment.” On his last day he dropped off his uniforms — washed. But the owner didn’t pay him then, and didn’t pay him in January as promised, Flaten said. After months he told Walker he was going to call a lawyer over his missing $915, and very quickly the money was dropped off — a pile of pennies in Flaten’s driveway. They had oil dumped over them to make them hard to cash in, and a note on top reading “F–k you.”

More at link below

https://thisistrue.com/weenie/?awt_a=6C ... P0ZUNyAPkr
* UPDATE *

Man who paid former employee in oily pennies ordered to pay nearly $40K
A man who paid a former employee’s final paycheck in oily pennies has been ordered the pay the man and eight other former employees over $39,000.

A consent judgment against Miles Walker and A OK Luxury Autoworks ordered the company to pay former employee Andreas Flaten and several other employees $19,967.09 in back wages as well as the same amount in “liquidated damages.” The total sum is $39,934.18.

:snippity:

In addition to paying Flaten, A OK and Walker must remove “all photographs of and references to former employee Andreas Flaten, and is permanently enjoined from posting photographs of or references to Mr. Flaten on [their website] or any other website or social media site.”

Flaten is not the only employee who accused Walker of creating a toxic work environment. Another employee told Atlanta News First Walker “[ripped] up people’s paychecks, their last checks, in front of their face.”

The consent judgment also accuses the company of employing workers for more than 40 hours per week without paying overtime and threatening employees who engage in “protected activity” such as filing labor complaints. They must also “not accept, request, or require that any employee return or decline payment of wages owed to them.”

Miles Walker said he was very upset with the media and said our reporting cost him a lot of money.
Dave from down under

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Dave from down under »

May there be more reporting that continues costing him until he stops his bad behaviour.
AndyinPA
Verified:

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... san-diego/
For nearly 22 years, Sidney Cooper’s wife and children have been visiting Lot 319 at a San Diego cemetery, thinking he was buried there.

Cooper’s family visited the lot every year since his death in April 2001. They cried there. They prayed there.

The gray headstone at his gravesite was inscribed with “Cooper” in large letters at the top. Underneath it, his first name was engraved on the left, leaving space for his wife’s name as the couple had planned to be buried together.

But after Thelma Cooper died in March, the cemetery — at her children’s request — opened the grave where she was supposed to be laid to rest with her husband only to find it empty, the family alleges in a new lawsuit. The remains of Sidney Cooper, a businessman who led Juneteenth celebrations in San Diego’s African American community decades ago, are still lost, said Eric Dubin, an attorney representing his family.

The lawsuit, filed in San Diego County on Friday, alleges the current and former owners of Greenwood Memorial Park and Mortuary were negligent and inflicted emotional distress.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

Texas supreme court to hear case from sanctioned judge who refused same-sex weddings

By Jacqueline Thomsen
June 23, 202310:42 PM GMT+2Updated 2 days ago
  • Texas judge was publicly warned for refusing to hold weddings for same-sex couples
    High court will hear lawsuit seeking block against future disciplinary action over same-sex weddings
(Reuters) - The Texas Supreme Court on Friday said it will hear arguments on whether to revive a state judge’s lawsuit against a judicial ethics panel that sanctioned her in 2019 over her refusal to officiate at same-sex marriage ceremonies.

Dianne Hensley, a Texas justice of the peace in Waco, in December 2019 sued the state's commission on judicial conduct after she was publicly warned by the panel for refusing to perform wedding ceremonies for same-sex couples. The commission said the sanction was for "casting doubt on her capacity to act impartially to persons appearing before her as a judge due to the person's sexual orientation."

Hensley said her “sincerely held religious belief as a Christian” prevented her from performing the weddings. She has stopped performing weddings entirely since the sanction was issued.

Hensley sued the commission in December 2019 but did not appeal the sanction. Her lawsuit seeks damages and an injunction blocking any future disciplinary action against her tied to refusing to perform same-sex weddings.

Douglas Lang, a lawyer for the judicial conduct commission, said in an email that the panel will raise to the high court "the importance of the commission’s work with Texas judges to assure all judges present themselves to the public according to the rule of law, independent of outside influences, including religion, and without regard to whether a law is popular or unpopular."

Justin Butterfield, a lawyer for Hensley, said in a statement that the judge "sought to follow her religious beliefs and accommodate everyone, yet the government chose to punish her. We look forward to the Texas Supreme Court correcting this injustice."

The judge’s legal team is led by conservative lawyer Jonathan Mitchell, an architect of anti-abortion legislative efforts in Texas. She is also being represented by attorneys with the conservative First Liberty Institute, which frequently litigates religious freedom cases.

Hensley’s lawyers told the Texas Supreme Court earlier this year that a state appeals court erred in upholding the dismissal of her lawsuit. “It may not be as fashionable to publicly disapprove same-sex marriage as it once was, but that is not a reason to question the impartiality of a judge who openly expresses a religious belief that marriage should exist only between one man and one woman,” the judge’s attorneys wrote.

Lawyers for the judicial conduct commission urged the justices not to take up the case, calling it a “collateral attack” against the disciplinary order. They asked the court to affirm the ruling dismissing the lawsuit on several grounds, including that she is barred from suing the commission, “lest the law of Texas be turned on its ear.”

https://www.reuters.com/legal/legalindu ... 023-06-23/
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... r-AA1d7N1s
Chess grandmaster Hans Niemann's lawsuit dismissed against Magnus Carlsen, Chess.com

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed the $100 million lawsuit filed by American grandmaster Hans Niemann in connection with the cheating scandal that roiled the world of chess last fall.

Niemann, 20, sued five-time world champion Magnus Carlsen and others for defamation in October after being publicly accused of cheating. He alleged in Missouri federal court that the defendants, including online platform Chess.com and executive Danny Rensch, were "unlawfully colluding to blacklist him" from professional chess.

Niemann later amended his lawsuit twice to address legal concerns with the case, but the revisions were not enough to prevent judge Audrey Fleissig from ruling to dismiss it Tuesday.

"We are pleased the court has rejected Hans Niemann's attempt to recover an undeserved windfall in Missouri federal court, and that Niemann’s attempt to chill speech through strategic litigation in that forum has failed," said Craig Reiser, an attorney for Carlsen and partner at Axinn, Veltrop & Harkrider.

Niemann's attorneys, Terrence and Darren Oved, noted in a statement that only part of the lawsuit was dismissed "with prejudice," meaning those specific claims cannot be re-filed at a later time.

“This decision has absolutely no impact on Niemann’s ability to continue pursuing his primary claims of defamation and numerous other state law claims," they said, adding that Niemann will now take those claims to state court.

The lawsuit followed a dramatic feud that emerged last fall between Carlsen, the most dominant chess player of his generation, and Niemann, whose meteoric rise over the past few years raised eyebrows.

It started when Niemann beat Carlsen at the Sinquefield Cup in St. Louis in September − with Carlsen playing a relatively obscure sequence of moves, and Niemann responding to them with precision accuracy. Carlsen subsequently withdrew from the event without explanation. Niemann responded to suspicions about the match by admitting that he had cheated in online games on two occasions earlier in his career, but never in an "an over-the-board game" like the one in St. Louis.

After several weeks of silence, Carlsen said in a statement that he believed "Niemann has cheated more − and more recently − than he has publicly admitted." Chess.com subsequently released a 72-page report analyzing Niemann's online games, concluding that the American teenager had likely cheated in more than 100 online games, including some for prize money and as recently as 2020.

Niemann's lawsuit focused in part on the business relationship between Chess.com and Play Magnus, another online chess platform founded by Carlsen. Chess.com acquired Play Magnus in 2022. But the Missouri judge found no merit to Niemann's claims.

"We obviously thought it was a meritless lawsuit that burned a ton of time and money, but we have a stewardship to protect the game," Rensch and Erik Allebest, another Chess.com executive, said in a statement. "We appreciate our amazing legal team for their diligence and commitment to our cause."
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by raison de arizona »

Gabriel Malor @gabrielmalor wrote: 10th Cir. holds that the City of Tulsa does not have jurisdiction over municipal violations committed by Indian residents because Tulsa lies within the Creek reservation, which, per McGirt, has never been disestablished. https://ca10.uscourts.gov/sites/ca10/fi ... 879822.pdf

A Choctaw resident of Tulsa sued over a traffic ticket, arguing that Tulsa lacked jurisdiction to issue him the ticket because the city is within the Creek reservation.

10th Cir. holds "yep, we read it that way too."
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by raison de arizona »

Is it considered bad form to cite oneself? :lol:
Melissa Stewart @LissaJoStewart wrote: Judge Richardson cited to his own law review article 💀
Sean Marotta @smmarotta wrote: A missed opportunity to use the "See, well" signal.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
chancery
Verified:

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by chancery »

I'm probably being dense, but I don't get what "see, well," is supposed to mean.

I found a thread discussing it:

but I still don't grok it.
Maybenaut

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Maybenaut »

chancery wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:51 pm I'm probably being dense, but I don't get what "see, well," is supposed to mean.

I found a thread discussing it:

but I still don't grok it.
I think she’s being cheeky. She’s acknowledging with the “well” that she’s citing her own work. So it’s not well as in good, but in an exclamatory way as in “well, like I said before…”
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
chancery
Verified:

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by chancery »

Thanks Maybenaut.

My mind has been stumbling towards a similar conclusion: that it's a conversational self-deprecating filler word. Comparable to saying "As was stated in the article written by, ahem, myself."

I've gingerly embraced "cleaned up," but so far I bristle at this innovation. It's possibly useful to have such a citation signal,* but this one seems way too informal, and also extremely obscure.
:oldman:

What's next? Contra, whoa, Gerard E. Lynch, RICO: The Crime of Being a Criminal Parts I, 87 Colum. L. Rev 661, 682 (1987).
:oldman: :oldman:

________
* Just as easy to drop a footnote along the lines of "written by the undersigned." Sure, it's less compact, but how often does this arise?
Maybenaut

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Maybenaut »

chancery wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:32 am Thanks Maybenaut.

My mind has been stumbling towards a similar conclusion: that it's a conversational self-deprecating filler word. Comparable to saying "As was stated in the article written by, ahem, myself."

I've gingerly embraced "cleaned up," but so far I bristle at this innovation. It's possibly useful to have such a citation signal,* but this one seems way too informal, and also extremely obscure.
:oldman:

What's next? Contra, whoa, Gerard E. Lynch, RICO: The Crime of Being a Criminal Parts I, 87 Colum. L. Rev 661, 682 (1987).
:oldman: :oldman:

________
* Just as easy to drop a footnote along the lines of "written by the undersigned." Sure, it's less compact, but how often does this arise?
I really hate “cleaned up.” I like the idea of a signal that allows for contraction of citation to exclude extraneous unnecessary information. I just wish they picked a different descriptor. I would have picked “abridged.” But nobody asked me.
chancery
Verified:

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by chancery »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:44 pm

I really hate “cleaned up.” I like the idea of a signal that allows for contraction of citation to exclude extraneous unnecessary information. I just wish they picked a different descriptor. I would have picked “abridged.” But nobody asked me.
:yeahthat:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:41 pm
Sean Marotta @smmarotta wrote: A missed opportunity to use the "See, well" signal.
I know Sean personally, since his undergrad days before he was a lawyer. I've dined with him and his now-wife when they visited Florida some time back. I have this mental image of him giggling hard while typing that and it has made my day.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”