Another Shooting

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Another Shooting

Post by raison de arizona »

Woman, unborn son, identified in fatal shooting

NORWALK — A pregnant woman and her unborn son died Friday after she was allegedly shot by her 2-year-old son in Norwalk.

The woman has been identified as 31-year-old Laura Ilg.

The call came in about 1:30 p.m. about a woman being shot in her home on Woodlawn Avenue.

Norwalk police Chief Dave Smith said the pregnant woman was shot in the back with a 9 mm gun.
:snippity:
https://norwalkreflector.com/news/46528 ... -shooting/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Another Shooting

Michigan toddler dies after shooting unsecured firearm: Police
The shooting comes months after Michigan approved gun safe storage requirements.

A 2-year-old child in Michigan died from an accidental shooting Sunday evening after accessing an unsecured firearm, authorities said.

Police initially responded to the report of a shooting at 6 p.m. in the Rolling Oaks subdivision of Howell, Michigan, according to a statement from the Howell Police Department.

“It was reported that a 2.5-year-old child had gained access to an unsecured firearm that resulted in an accidental shooting,” the release noted.

The victim was transported to a local hospital, where the child was pronounced dead.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/michigan-todd ... =100009633
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Azastan
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Azastan »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:18 pm

NORWALK — A pregnant woman and her unborn son died Friday after she was allegedly shot by her 2-year-old son in Norwalk.

The call came in about 1:30 p.m. about a woman being shot in her home on Woodlawn Avenue.

Norwalk police Chief Dave Smith said the pregnant woman was shot in the back with a 9 mm gun.
For anyone else who might be confused, this is Norwalk, OHIO.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

Azastan wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:52 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:18 pm

For anyone else who might be confused, this is Norwalk, OHIO.
Journalists have become very lazy in the last couple decades. They are writing for a local audience but publishing to a worldwide medium. I can't tell you how many times I have had to google a certain newspaper or TV channel to figure out where a story happened. Article should have started "NORWALK, OHIO -"
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Another Shooting

Post by keith »

So what did Michigan safe storage laws have to do with it?

Were they from Ohio but in Michigan at the time?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona

Another Shooting

keith wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:27 am So what did Michigan safe storage laws have to do with it?

Two different incidents.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Another Shooting

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:03 am
keith wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:27 am So what did Michigan safe storage laws have to do with it?

Two different incidents.
Oh, I see now.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:03 am

Two different incidents.
Well, damn. 2 year olds playing Rambo weekly has become an epidenic.
Sam the Centipede

Another Shooting

Post by Sam the Centipede »

neonzx wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:19 am Well, damn. 2 year olds playing Rambo weekly has become an epidenic.
Parents need to be more heavily armed so they can quickly "take down" any 2 year old – or indeed any preschooler – who siezes a gun with murderous intent.

Afterwards, there has to be deterrence as well as punishment: the maximum security naughty step!
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Post by Dave from down under »

Where the two children good guys with guns or bad guys with guns?

Where they able to stand their ground?

Obviously they will claim they feared for their safety and just had to shoot.
PaulG

Another Shooting

Post by PaulG »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:17 am Where the two children good guys with guns or bad guys with guns?

Where they able to stand their ground?

Obviously they will claim they feared for their safety and just had to shoot.
Will we have "Stand Your Playground" laws? :mad:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Another Shooting

Post by bill_g »

Sand Castle Doctrine
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Another Shooting

Post by bill_g »

Grant Co WA Sheriff says in Tweet two dead at music festival shooting in George WA yesterday evening.

Other reports say it was a random shooting. TBD
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Because what event in the US wouldn’t be complete without a shooting. :crying:
Azastan
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Azastan »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:36 am Because what event in the US wouldn’t be complete without a shooting. :crying:
Strictly speaking, it wasn't at the event itself, but at the campground. Doesn't make it much better, and there's still two people who died.
roadscholar

Another Shooting

Post by roadscholar »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:03 pm Tree of Life shooter found guilty. He didn't even put on a defense. So far, guilty of 40 of 63 counts, Ongoing.

Guilty on all 63 counts.

Death penalty decision next.
Speaking of which…

What with such trouble about applying the death penalty— botched executions, drug companies not wanting their products being used, and so on— I can’t help but wonder: why not just use Fentanyl? We hear about its lethal potential all the time. Surely enough bootlegged stuff is seized that they wouldn’t even need to buy it from the manufacturer.

No “cocktail” of drugs. Just the big sleep.

Seems reasonable, no?

Not arguing for or against the penalty, but if the State mandates it, that seems like a relatively humane option.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
neonzx

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

roadscholar wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:57 am
AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:03 pm Tree of Life shooter found guilty. He didn't even put on a defense. So far, guilty of 40 of 63 counts, Ongoing.

Guilty on all 63 counts.

Death penalty decision next.
Speaking of which…

What with such trouble about applying the death penalty— botched executions, drug companies not wanting their products being used, and so on— I can’t help but wonder: why not just use Fentanyl? We hear about its lethal potential all the time. Surely enough bootlegged stuff is seized that they wouldn’t even need to buy it from the manufacturer.

No “cocktail” of drugs. Just the big sleep.

Seems reasonable, no?

Not arguing for or against the penalty, but if the State mandates it, that seems like a relatively humane option.
Morphine would work the same. Yeah, I never understood this complex cocktail of drugs they use -- it seems like the death industry of state prisons have a macabre fetish.
raison de arizona

Another Shooting

4 people killed, dozens injured in chaotic night of mass shootings across the country

At least 4 people were killed and more than two dozen others injured in shootings in Illinois, Missouri and Washington state in a deadly night of gun violence.

At least one person was killed with 19 more injured at a strip mall in Willowbrook, Illinois, a southwest suburb of Chicago, police said.
https://apple.news/A1OY9YZDWTPWkC5YfJGMzig
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

On the drug cocktail

I believe the aim was that it was so the death wasn’t easy/peaceful/humane.

An OD of morphine would be considered too easy a death.
chancery
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by chancery »

I believe that I've read that administration of narcotics like morphine & fentanyl isn't significantly less difficult or problematic in a prison setting than the "cocktail."

Another possibility is helium asphyxia, often recommended by euthanasia advocates. I think that some states have studied it and concluded that it would be harder and more expensive to implement than one might think. That's a little difficult to credit, but from what I saw in a several minute skim, there did seem to be a number of valid issues to deal with.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Nitrogen is cheaper than helium and very effective.

Nitrogen asphyxiation is a fairly frequent industrial accident. The victims pass out before they realize anything is wrong. This is why when a worker has to enter an enclosed space where nitrogen may be present another worker must be just outside the danger area to monitor the exposed worker and be ready to pull them out ASAP if needs be.

I have inspected the inside of equipment where I had to wear a harness attached to a rope the other end of which was held by a strong fellow whose job was to pull me out if I stopped talking.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
roadscholar

Another Shooting

Post by roadscholar »

I can’t help but note that we and the State both are intent on executing these miscreants in a far more painless, brief and gentle fashion than the way they dispatched their victims.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

We are civilized even if those killers aren't.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Sam the Centipede

Another Shooting

Post by Sam the Centipede »

roadscholar wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:11 pm I can’t help but note that we and the State both are intent on executing these miscreants in a far more painless, brief and gentle fashion than the way they dispatched their victims.
Off Topic
I am generally anti-death penalty, but I find the dislike of painful methods of execution baffling and hypocritical. If you (person, army or legal system) want to kill an individual, you obviously don't care that much about their welfare. In my view, all methods of execution are intrinsically inhumane. Why not embrace it?

Or give the subject the choice: hanging, shooting, drugs, decapitation (axe, guillotine or sword?), electricity, gas, garotting, crucifixion, lynching. Wouldn't that be humane? If they don't wish to choose, draw a ball from a bag. "And you have won … hanging, drawing and quartering!"

It does seem appropriate to execute mass shooters by shooting them, doesn't it? They have already made their choice.
neeneko

Another Shooting

Post by neeneko »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:27 am
Off Topic
I am generally anti-death penalty, but I find the dislike of painful methods of execution baffling and hypocritical. If you (person, army or legal system) want to kill an individual, you obviously don't care that much about their welfare. In my view, all methods of execution are intrinsically inhumane. Why not embrace it?

Or give the subject the choice: hanging, shooting, drugs, decapitation (axe, guillotine or sword?), electricity, gas, garotting, crucifixion, lynching. Wouldn't that be humane? If they don't wish to choose, draw a ball from a bag. "And you have won … hanging, drawing and quartering!"

It does seem appropriate to execute mass shooters by shooting them, doesn't it? They have already made their choice.
Off Topic
I do not believe they actually care either. I see it as a bit like the 'no abortion except rape or incest' exceptions. They are not morally consistent nor do proponents actually care about them, but they do serve to blunt criticism since they make the politics less extreme and thus less likely to energize middle ground people.

The more barbaric executions are, the easier it is to get unaffected people riled up to be against them. So supporters make them just palitable enough to not upset people who are otherwise not part of the debate.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”