US v. Trump - Espionage Act - (9:23-cr-80101) District Court, S.D. Florida

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*

Will this case go to trial before the primary elections?

Yes, and it will be a wonderful circus
24%
No, Judge Cannon will dismiss the case on a motion to dismiss
5%
No, Trump’s attorneys will work out a plea bargain
2%
No, the case will be in the appeals court through the 2024 election
20%
No, Judge Cannon will grant numerous motions to delay the case
28%
No, this case will NEVER go to trial, but I don't know what will happen
8%
Some other option, which I will describe in a post.
3%
Debilitating brain aneurysm
11%

Total votes: 123

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Just to make his day a little crappier.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/13/politics ... index.html

A federal judge will allow E. Jean Carroll to amend her original defamation lawsuit against former President Donald Trump to include comments he made at a CNN town hall.

Carroll, a former magazine columnist, asked the judge for permission to amend the initial November 2019 lawsuit so she could try to seek additional punitive damages after Trump repeated statements a federal jury found to be defamatory. Last month, a jury found in favor of Carroll in her second civil lawsuit, which went to trial. The jury found that Trump sexually abused Carroll and defamed her by denying the attack, saying she wasn’t his type and calling her allegations a hoax.

One day later Trump appeared at the CNN Republican presidential town hall and said, “I have no idea who this woman – this is a fake story, made up story.” He called Carroll a “whack job” and went on a tangent about her ex-husband and pet cat.

This story is breaking and will be updated.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Jim

Post by Jim »

realist wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:45 pm Very common. I've done/seen hundreds of them, if not thousands.

Does Paul count? If so, then I've seen quite a few myself. :popcorn:

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Realist is our CHAMPION! An American hero.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

chancery wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:27 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:13 pm
Maybe bob or chancery will correct me, but I thought that depositions in criminal trials were the exception rather than the rule, and potential witnesses are deposed only when there is some need to preserve their testimony (like they have a terminal illness, for example), and only by order of the court after a showing of extraordinary circumstances.

The difference between civil and criminal trials has to with due process and the right to confrontation.
IANACrL, but I have the same understanding.

One thing that I learned only relatively recently is that criminal defense lawyers hire investigators to interview witnesses, not only for the sake of efficiency, but to avoid the risk of becoming witnesses themselves. Dunno how strictly they isolate themselves from witnesses; I suppose it depends on lots of things.
I think the largest factor is how much money the client has. As a military criminal defense lawyer (the functional equivalent of the public defender), I had to interview witnesses myself. Even though NCIS/CGIS/AFOSI/Army CID all claim that they are only interested in the truth and work equally for the prosecution and the defense, it isn’t true.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

So, after all that, "dozens" turned up. "Dozens." You people afraid of trouble from Trump can relax. This idiot couldn't draw a fart at a bean tasting competition.
Hic sunt dracones
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

True, Suranis. I'm super happy there wasn't any trouble, but since J6 these folks have known they are on LE's radar and T**** will do nothing to help them. So to go there just to get arrested (many again) with no result (on J6, the electoral college results were still finalized) takes an exceptional level of stupid.

BONUS: This just in... Foggy was in Miami all this time! He was hiding this from us. Maybe he drove down overnight, picked up his pal Amy Kremer in Atlanta, and headed to the courthouse.

Slick move, Foggy, but we caught you!!

Blacks for Trump is a bankrupt astroturf group. They're still trying to get rid of their 2020 shirts and were wearing them. About BfT: https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/blac ... s-10605151
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

bob wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:50 pm "For completeness": P&E: Trump “Processed,” Will Speak Tuesday Evening:
Through one of his attorneys, Trump, who was wearing a dark suit and classic red tie, entered a plea of “not guilty” and sat at quietly a table “with his hands folded,” [CBS' Scott] MacFarland reported.
You call that a fashion report? :nope:
Yeh! Like what dark color is the suit? Black, grey, brown?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:53 pm Pathetic.

I think today is actually a tragic day, particularly for our country.
The tragedy occurred when he was elected. This day, to me, is a good day. It shows the federal legal system working as it should.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:38 pm Seen reporting that the amount of tfg supporters number in the "dozens."
Oliya Scootercaster 🛴 @ScooterCasterNY wrote: Trump GREETING FANS inside and outside of Versailles Restaurant in Miami after his arraignment. #HappeningNow

Video by Oliya Scootercaster Desk@freedomnews.tv to license
They sang him Happy Birthday.
► Show Spoiler

He had to go to a restaurant because half the staff at Mar-A-Lardo are on the witness list and he can no longer talk to them.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

Image ImageImage
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

So, I guess federal cases must be different from state cases. I appreciate the lawyers weighing in and correcting me on this. I had been familiar that depositions are often used in criminal cases but didn't realize it was mostly for state level cases. :oopsy: :oopsy: :oopsy:

https://www.kevinkuliklaw.com/how-flori ... l-charges/
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:27 pm He had to go to a restaurant because half the staff at Mar-A-Lardo are on the witness list and he can no longer talk to them.
About that... He's still hanging out with naughty Nauta. Good one, Judge :thumbsup:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:lol: There is no way Trump will let Nauta out of his sight. I bet Nauta doesn't even have access to a cell phone anymore. He probably has no way to contact a lawyer of his own that would be obligated to advise him of what is in his best interest
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

🎶Happy Arraignment, Fuck you
Happy Arraignment, Fuck you
Happy Arraignment, Dear loser
Happy Arraignment, FUCK YOU🎶
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

realist wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:26 pm
Kendra wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:02 pm
@hugolowell
New: Trump lawyers and his co-defendant Walt Nauta’s lawyer interviewed prospective defense attorneys together at Doral. Trump also had dinner with his own lawyers, Nauta and Nauta’s lawyer last night at BLT Prime.
Interesting. They are separate defendants with separate exposure. I can't imagine them working together as they certainly have conflicting interests. :confuzzled:
It's not at all uncommon for the lawyers for jointly-indicted defendants to consult on strategy and to cooperate on trial preparation.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
realist

Post by realist »

Dr. Caligari wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:17 pm
realist wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:26 pm
Kendra wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:02 pm
Interesting. They are separate defendants with separate exposure. I can't imagine them working together as they certainly have conflicting interests. :confuzzled:
It's not at all uncommon for the lawyers for jointly-indicted defendants to consult on strategy and to cooperate on trial preparation.
I get that, but in this case, just sayin'. If Nauta wants to go down with the ship, then ... whatever. :)
Image X 4
Image X 32
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

TFG is always late for everything. He’s hours late for rallies, events, and even his own stupid press announcements. He was on time for both arraignments.

Obviously he can be on time, but is usually too much of an inconsiderate jerk to care about anyone else. I hope it eats at him that he knows he can’t control this situation and that he is just another indicted loser.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:25 pm Per CNN, judge rules tfg can't talk to potential witnesses. I believe that includes Nauta.
But he can deride them on social media and slam them at his rallies :cantlook:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:29 pm
Kendra wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:25 pm Per CNN, judge rules tfg can't talk to potential witnesses. I believe that includes Nauta.
Yep.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

And lose a few more defamation suits.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

As long as that doesn't cross over into threats and intimidation....
Luke

Post by Luke »

Tucker Episode 3 went up half an hour ago, it's about the Indictment. The best part is midway through, he absolutely devastates Mike Pompeo over and over and over.

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:04 pm Tucker Episode 3 went up half an hour ago, it's about the Indictment. The best part is midway through, he absolutely devastates Mike Pompeo over and over and over.
So he WANTS Fox News to sue him.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:55 pm
chancery wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:27 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:13 pm
Maybe bob or chancery will correct me, but I thought that depositions in criminal trials were the exception rather than the rule, and potential witnesses are deposed only when there is some need to preserve their testimony (like they have a terminal illness, for example), and only by order of the court after a showing of extraordinary circumstances.

The difference between civil and criminal trials has to with due process and the right to confrontation.
IANACrL, but I have the same understanding.

One thing that I learned only relatively recently is that criminal defense lawyers hire investigators to interview witnesses, not only for the sake of efficiency, but to avoid the risk of becoming witnesses themselves. Dunno how strictly they isolate themselves from witnesses; I suppose it depends on lots of things.
I think the largest factor is how much money the client has. As a military criminal defense lawyer (the functional equivalent of the public defender), I had to interview witnesses myself. Even though NCIS/CGIS/AFOSI/Army CID all claim that they are only interested in the truth and work equally for the prosecution and the defense, it isn’t true.
As an attorney, I always like to be at the witness interview to get a sense of the person and what kind of witness they would make. I always attempt to have a third party (like an investigator or paralegal) present is mainly for insurance in case the witness changes their testimony at trial. It can be useful if the witness tells you in an interview that "the light was red," but testifies at trial that, "the light was green." The witness may admit that he told two different stories (which may impact credibility), but if the witness denies having told you that, "the light was red," you can put your investigator/paralegal on the stand to confirm what the witness told you in the earlier interview. By having a second person present, you avoid the "lawyer as a witness" problem.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Tom Ryan @tomryanlaw wrote: Dear 'Zona Litigation Disaster Tourists,
Now that you know about Dec Actions, let’s dive into another issue re the Trump indictment saga that most of the media is getting wrong. It’s the Judicial Canons & recusal as applied to Judge Cannon. 1/

The Code of Conduct for United States Judges, called the Canons, applies to all federal court judges - unfortunately, not the U.S. Supreme Court (think the grifting Clarence Thomas). 2/

These Canons apply to Judge Aileen M. Cannon, who was appointed by former Pres. Trump, & confirmed in 2020 as one of the youngest, least experienced, judges on the U.S. District Courts. 3/
► Show Spoiler
https://twitter.com/tomryanlaw/status/1 ... 19777?s=20
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”