Special Counsel Jack Smith: Judgement Day (one way or the other)

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
bob

Post by bob »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:21 pm if trump wins the nomination and election, will that suspend any criminal charges he's facing once elected? A local City attorney and a Municipal Judge both said yesterday that it was "against the law" for any criminal case to go forward against the President. I don't think that's right, but I'm not a lawyer.
"Against the law" is an overstatement.

It is DOJ policy that a sitting president cannot be indicted and tried. As that policy has never been tested in a court, it effectively remains the law in practice. (Paper law versus real law, and all that.)

But he's not the president now. So, if he were to be elected, and there had been no trial before the inauguration, then it is likely the DOJ would move to (at least) suspend proceedings until he's no longer the president.

If he's convicted and yet still elected, what would happen next is really uncharted territory. But I assume the DOJ (read: his DOJ) would assert that he can't serve his sentence while he's president. And I don't know who could argue the counter position in a federal court. Especially if Cannon remains the trial judge.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

The people need to know that their president is not a crook.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Heard that arraignment may be delayed because orange schmuck can't find a lawyer dumb enough to represent him.
somerset

Post by somerset »

SuzieC wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:24 pm Heard that arraignment may be delayed because orange schmuck can't find a lawyer dumb enough to represent him.
I thought the lady in red was still active on this case.

(Lindsey Halligan - https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/trump-a ... 25836.html)
bob

Post by bob »

SuzieC wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:24 pm Heard that arraignment may be delayed because orange schmuck can't find a lawyer dumb enough to represent him.
The arraignment, that is, the formal reading of the charges and entry of plea (the obligatory "Not guilty, Your Honor") may be delayed.

But, absent exceptional circumstances (i.e., another insurrection) there will still be the first appearance tomorrow.

I presume someone eventually will represent him. But to prevent the obvious gamesmanship, a (sane) judge would just rule, "The public defender is appointed. At the end of the trial, the court will determine the defendant's ability to reimburse the public defender for services rendered."

somerset wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:34 pm I thought the lady in red [Lindsey Halligan] was still active on this case.
Halligan is a member of the Florida bar, but I don't know if she's admitted to practice in S.D. Fla. (although one could assume she was).

For a Florida bar member, S.D. Fla. membership is easy; that's not a substantial barrier to her participation.
Image ImageImage
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Kendra wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:48 am
Trump’s lawyer Christina Bobb says she’s not worried about the indictment because the Special Counsel doesn’t understand how the Presidential Records Act works.
Why isn't she on the hook for that false statement???
realist

Post by realist »

somerset wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:34 pm
I thought the lady in red was still active on this case.

(Lindsey Halligan - https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/trump-a ... 25836.html)
That article is a week old.
Image X 4
Image X 32
bob

Post by bob »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:36 pm
Trump’s lawyer Christina Bobb says she’s not worried about the indictment because the Special Counsel doesn’t understand how the Presidential Records Act works.
Bobb may eventually be on the hook for other false statements, but lying on the teevee isn't a federal crime.
Image ImageImage
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

:lol: CNN has their music and chyron "The Federal Indictment of DJ T****" and looking quickly, looked like it said "The FERAL Indictment..."

I also still refer to him as being Indicated.

Your covfefe may vary.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

orlylicious wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:06 pm What the??

LeGate🤠 @williamlegate5h
why did Trump have a copier in the room he stored TOP SECRET documents in?!?

It's a CMU block (aka cinder block) partial height wall, painted white with a flat pack type box on top of it.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

bob wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:41 pm
Chilidog wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:36 pm
Bobb may eventually be on the hook for other false statements, but lying on the teevee isn't a federal crime.

Didn't she sign the fake certification that Trump sent to the Grand Jury stating that he turned over everything when he had not?
bob

Post by bob »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:48 pm Didn't she sign the fake certification that Trump sent to the Grand Jury stating that he turned over everything when he had not?
I believe so, which is why I said, "Bobb may eventually be on the hook for other false statements."

But going on teevee and lying about Smith's knowledge isn't a crime.
Image ImageImage
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

Bobb most likely is Attorney 3
somerset

Post by somerset »

New Turtle wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:10 pm Bobb most likely is Attorney 3
Yes, that's been mentioned a few times by the talking heads.

I think it's more accurate to say that she signed a certificate saying she certifies what she'd been told by Corcoran (Attorney 1, I believe), who relied on a statement by tfg that he'd been shown all potentially classified material (which was a lie). So Bobb was basically certifying to heresay of an intentionally lied to attorney. Which may be enough to get her off the hook (but IANAL, so I don't really know).
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

So, she's a moron.

AKA: a typical Trump attorney.
raison de arizona

Chilidog wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:44 pm So, she's a moron.

AKA: a typical Trump attorney.
Fun facts, Bobb holds a master's degree in national-security law from Georgetown University and served as a judge advocate in the US Marine Corps.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Do they even care how far they have fallen?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

When you've lost Mick Mulvaney...
Trump's Ex-Chief of Staff Says Guilty Verdict, Jail Time Chance 'High'

Mick Mulvaney, the former chief of staff under Donald Trump, said on Monday that the former president's chances of facing jail time after being federally indicted "are pretty high."
:snippity:
Mulvaney, who served as acting White House chief of staff for Trump from January 2019 to March 2020, told the conservative British news network GB News in an interview that the details in the indictment do not bode well for the former president.

"I think the chances of a guilty verdict are fairly high, and the chances of real jail time are pretty high," he said on Monday.
The host then pressed Mulvaney about what amount of jail time Trump might receive for the charges, to which he said that at his age, 76, it is unlikely to matter. The former chief of staff further estimated that the maximum amount of time possible for all of the charges could be around 500 years.
https://www.newsweek.com/trumps-ex-chie ... gh-1806088
Video at link.
raison de arizona

Luttig is a conservative Republican who served under Reagan and was appointed by Bush Sr. What a rino. ;)
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The barricades, as of now, consist of yellow police tape
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Kid Rock's older brother, Fraggle Rock

:rotflmao:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Yellow police tape. That will stop them. :roll:

Might some of the more rabid Magats try to rescue Trump? I doubt Trump wants to be rescued since he is convinced he is innocent. In any case the Secret Service would protect Trump from a rescue attempt by his supporters. How would Trump's supporters react if the SS arrested or even shot some of them?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
somerset

Post by somerset »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:30 pm Yellow police tape. That will stop them. :roll:

Might some of the more rabid Magats try to rescue Trump? I doubt Trump wants to be rescued since he is convinced he is innocent. In any case the Secret Service would protect Trump from a rescue attempt by his supporters. How would Trump's supporters react if the SS arrested or even shot some of them?
I don't think they'll try to do anything directly with tfg. What I think might happen is they get agitated into a a riot and try to damage/destroy anything that represents "the institution" (the legal system). That would make tfg happy, as it shows "the power of his people." And if some of them get killed along they way, who is he to stand in the way of a good martydom story?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Why don't they ask some January 6 rioters how much tfg had their backs?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:08 pm Why don't they ask some January 6 rioters how much tfg had their backs?
I forget which talking head it was today, but one of them was lamenting that the only reason the Jan. 6th rioters were in jail was because they couldn't afford lawyers. Well, why didn't tfg pony up and help them out then? Right? He's a billionaire, certainly he could spare a little for his strongest supporters.

Return to “Current Politics”