Art: I know it when I see it.

Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I inherited a ginormous Gorman limited edition print. I don't especially like it, but it's big, and it fills the huge wall between bookcases, so there it stays
Image Image Image Image
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Australians are quite "fond" of another mass produced artist, Vladimir Tretchikoff.

Apparently the big department store in Melbourne - Myers - sold thousands of them in the 50's. My inlaws had one of his most popular prints, "The Chinese Girl" (more popularly known as "The Green Lady".

It was in their holiday home, which they would occasionally rent out for a weekend. One of the renters stole it.

It was just a print, one of hundreds, maybe thousands, but they are iconic, and everybody wants one. They show up in all the odd places - Alfred Hitchcock movies, and the best damn restaurant in Albany Western Australia. I've seen a couple at retro stores for silly prices.

Wikipedia:Chinese Girl

Has everybody heard about the bird?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

More computer generated art. This is the predicted coverage plot for Ketchum ID aka Sun Valley Ski Resort. It's renowned for its numerous Olympic quality runs. The plot is overlayed on the Google Earth map so you get the location perspective.

The splash of color reminds me of what I see when I scrunch my eye closed hard, and then release the tension. :)
Attachments
sunvalley dollar or bald 25km 95p GE.jpg
sunvalley dollar or bald 25km 95p GE.jpg (355.34 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Bastion of the super-rich’: inside a New York billionaire’s private museum
A collection of art, featuring pieces by Picasso, Lichtenstein and Cézanne, has been kept secret for years but for select members of the public, the door is slowly being opened

Francesca Carington in New York
Tue 11 Jul 2023 19.05 BST

It was Fleet Week in New York City, and something unusual was taking place on Billionaires’ Row. At 9 West 57th Street, an elegant black sloping skyscraper towering over the Plaza hotel and the half-dozen sailors congregated outside, 20 people were ushered into a small, glass-fronted gallery on the ground floor. A ferocious crimson Basquiat greeted them, along with a monochrome Kline and a serene Henry Moore – works collected by the building’s late owner, the real estate mogul Sheldon Solow.

The exhibition’s curator, Joseph Henry, silenced the excitable group. “You are the absolute first members of the public to come on a public tour,” he said, standing beneath an Alexander Calder mobile.

Under the watchful gaze of three sentinel security guards, Henry led the group on a swift, authoritative tour of the works he had brought together: a quartet of Cézannes, smudged in delicate blue and green; an angular mask carved by the Dan people of Ivory Coast, hanging next to a complementarily geometric Picasso; two Giacometti portraits with cockroach-coloured faces; three Miró dream paintings; a somewhat dingy Van Gogh. The tour ended after 35 minutes precisely, and a distinguished-looking gentleman with a Strand Bookstore bag asked: “So why were you closed for so long?”

“Closed for so long” implies the gallery was once open. It wasn’t. For years, the art could be glimpsed only from outside, beyond the glare of the windows. The collection, amassed by Solow, who died in 2020 aged 92 and worth $4.4bn, is conservatively valued at $500m. And while the majority of works were privately owned by Solow – and now by his son, Stefan Soloviev (who uses the pre-Ellis Island version of the family name) – a dozen or so of them are held by a tax-exempt non-profit called the Soloviev Foundation.

Set up by Solow in 1991 as the Solow Art and Architecture Foundation (and since renamed by his son), the non-profit describes its charitable activities in its tax filings: “The foundation maintains and displays artwork for exhibition to the public at the 9 West 57th Street, New York building.” While the gift of artworks like Matisse’s Acrobats (which is worth $30m) and Van Gogh’s Coal Barges ($50m) to the foundation entitled Solow to certain tax write-offs, they were not readily accessible to the public.

This completely legal set-up caught the eye of Ethan Arnheim, a Washington-based international development consultant, who created a parody website drawing attention to the foundation’s tax status and inaccessibility in 2017. He was outraged, but also, he said, hoped to “alert people to the fact that … you can do this questionable practice under current code”. A few of the artworks were technically on “public” display in the office building’s lobby (hardly an art-world destination) and some were lent to museums, such as the Botticelli sold in 2021 for $92m (which spent many years at the Met) or a Miró triptych, which went to the Tate Modern in 2011. Although, as Arnheim pointed out, lending to museums is a common practice among collectors, since it increases the value of the works.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... m-new-york?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Natural art from Shiprock New Mexico - Lightning

We had a bunch of lightning storms last night around here. My unofficial rain gauge (two muck buckets in the garden) had four inches accumulated. That's a bunch!

Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

Beautiful!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bill_g wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:32 pm Natural art from Shiprock New Mexico - Lightning

We had a bunch of lightning storms last night around here. My unofficial rain gauge (two muck buckets in the garden) had four inches accumulated. That's a bunch!

Hail Thor!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Performance Art from Hubby.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:clap:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

She's got a lot of balls!
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Tiredretiredlawyer

From Hearne Fine Art in Little Rock:
IMG_5197.jpeg
IMG_5197.jpeg (12.3 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
https://hearnefineart.com/exhibitions/52/works/

Moar: https://hearnefineart.com/exhibitions/5 ... works5723/
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

My husband does 3D art using Daz, and he's really pretty good. Most of his stuff is horror-oriented, though, so I don't show it off much (he doesn't want me inadvertantly offending people.)

Anyway, I just got a new AI plugin for PaintShop Pro and ran one of his more tasteful images through it with a fairly simple prompt to see what it would come up with. To say we were both surprised is an understatement.

His original image contains minor nudity (you can see the woman's nipples, but not in a realistic way, and from a distance) so I'm putting it under a spoiler header so you don't have to see it if you don't want to. I'm gonna put the AI generated image under one, too, to avoid ruining the surprise :)

So, here's his original image:
► Show Spoiler
Here's the AI revision. The prompt I gave it was to make the image with black and white style, extremely detailed and have dramatic lighting:
► Show Spoiler
:rotflmao:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Really nice work! :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

I like the original best.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Me too.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

The first image, total relaxation. The second ?
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:56 pm My husband does 3D art using Daz, and he's really pretty good. Most of his stuff is horror-oriented, though, so I don't show it off much (he doesn't want me inadvertantly offending people.)
I can't open the images :confuzzled:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:31 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:56 pm My husband does 3D art using Daz, and he's really pretty good. Most of his stuff is horror-oriented, though, so I don't show it off much (he doesn't want me inadvertantly offending people.)
I can't open the images :confuzzled:
:( I don't know why that would be ...
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: That second image is a hoot, Kriselda.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Thanks for the comments!
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

This thread makes me think of this - a friend of mine posted:
PIcasso.jpg
PIcasso.jpg (75.68 KiB) Viewed 870 times
Tiredretiredlawyer

Cooooooooooool!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Good one! :thumbsup:
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

Nice!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

That's great!!

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”