The Coronation

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

The Coronation

Post by northland10 »

keith wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:57 am Only half paying attention at that point, I said to SWMBO "gee that sounds like a Ralph Vaughan Williams piece".

It turns out, according to the program, it must have been his "Fantasia on Greensleeves" - that I didn't recognize for some reason "Prelude on ‘Rhosymedre’" that I didn't recognize at all - I just recognized his style. Vaughan Williams is weird (IMO) and I'm not much of a fan, but I do sorta like "Toward The Unknown Region".

ETA: There were two Vaughan Williams pieces, I don't remember hearing "Greensleeves", so it must have been "Rhosymedre".
Vaughan Williams does have a distinctive sound, though also similar to other English composers of the era. I will resist the urge to explain further as it is tied up in my Master's Thesis and Lecture/Recital and I could go on for a while on the development of English church music. Prelude on Rhosymedre is an organist's standard, which I have played many, many, many, many times (including on said Lecture/Recital)?

We actually did 2 VW pieces today, O How Amiable with the choir, and the "Come my Way" hymn, which is essentially a congregation version of "The Call" from his Five Mystical Songs.

We also did one of the hymns they were doing at the Coronation, Christ Is Made the Sure Foundation (to Purcell's tune Westminster Abbey). I did not use that one because of the Coronation but because it fit today's reading. It is a very standard Anglican/Episcopal hymn that my place sings with gusto (the same can be said about the other one they had at the Coronation, "Praise my soul, the King of Heaven").

I did not select the RVW songs because of the coronation, either. Again, they fit the week. Next week go Tudor with Tallis's "If ye love me."
101010 :towel:
chancery
Verified:

The Coronation

Post by chancery »

northland10 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:05 pm Vaughan Williams does have a distinctive sound, though also similar to other English composers of the era.
At one point during the procession back to the palace one of the bands was playing a haunting piece, and I wondered if it was an arrangement from VW's Folk Song Suite ... <google>, hm, interesting, I hadn't remembered that it was first published for a military band.
northland10 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:05 pm INext week go Tudor with Tallis's "If ye love me."
One of the pinnacles of sacred music, and of Western Civilization. IMO.
Volkonski
Verified:

The Coronation

Post by Volkonski »

Have long loved VW's "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis" but it would be a little long for Coronation festivities.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
chancery
Verified:

The Coronation

Post by chancery »

One of my favorites too. I agree that it's a little long, and perhaps not the right mood for a coronation.

If you have any taste for choral service music, the original collection of nine psalm tunes written by Tallis for Bishop Matthew Parker is a worth a listen.

The haunting theme used by Vaughn Williams, the setting for Psalm 2 ("Why fum’th in fight the Gentiles spite?" perhaps better known in the translation used by Handel "Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?"), starts at 1:41. And the performance ends with the familiar Tallis Canon, here used for Psalm 67.

You can also find more "concertized" versions of the original theme, e.g. here and here
Phoenix520
Verified:

The Coronation

Post by Phoenix520 »

Off Topic
I’ve seen the Tallis Scholars twice in concert at the former Ambassador Auditorium in Pasadena. I was transported both times, walked out in a cloud.
chancery
Verified:

The Coronation

Post by chancery »

chancery wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:46 pm In general I thought it was the expected high-standard anglican choir singing but not quite concert/first-class-service quality because of limitations of the event, the venue and the broadcast sound system.
This comment has bothered me since I wrote it. The performances were lovely, and might have been truly outstanding. I couldn't really tell you, because our attention was constantly distracted by all the other things going on during the broadcast.
chancery
Verified:

The Coronation

Post by chancery »

Ugh.

https://twitter.com/PriyamvadaGopal/sta ... 1654262786
Priyamvada Gopal ©
@PriyamvadaGopal

Short lesson in why genuflection doesn't pay for people of colour. Yesterday, Adjoah Andoh sang praises of the monarchy & the UK all morning. Then in passing she made a perfectly factual observation: the whiteness of the balcony contrasted with Coronation 'diversity'. Result ?

Tabloid fury, trolls out in force, people screaming for her to be deported, denouncing her as ungrateful & 'race-baiting'. It physically *cannot* get more grateful & flattering than her commentary. And yet, one true wordm & you're out. So why bother with kissing the ring?
northland10

The Coronation

Post by northland10 »

Genuflection can be a problem. I love Anglican Chant. Many times I have driven with Anglican Chant playing. You have to be very careful not to genuflect at the Gloria Patri ("Glory to the father, and to the son..").

Genuflection while driving is not a good combination.
chancery
Verified:

The Coronation

Post by chancery »

:explode:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Sam the Centipede

The Coronation

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I'm not a military type but I know lots of Fogfolk are, and also more sensitive to symbolism. I didn't watch any television coverage but Twitter folk say the BBC commentators spotted celebs but didn't pick up this non-celeb vignette:
WO Dave McCabe RAFAC
@WO_McCabe

Loved watching the #Coronation coverage. This was a nice touch, in a procession of world leaders and high ranking Officers from the Commonwealth, this Lt Col paid compliment to one and only one very special individual...
The man carrying the flag of Grenada is Johnson Beharry VC, who was awarded the Victoria Cross for two acts of valour (yeah, he gets the extra u because British Army) during the Iraq War, saving wounded comrades while badly wounded himself and driving an IFV.

Just read elsewhere: apparently it's traditional in the British Army to always salute anyone wearing a Victoria Cross, so a general salutes a corporal VC. Some commenters said there a similar US tradition with the Medal of Honor, and perhaps parallel traditions in many countries. I dunno. The only medals I ever received had chocolate inside.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

The Coronation

Post by Maybenaut »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:29 am
Just read elsewhere: apparently it's traditional in the British Army to always salute anyone wearing a Victoria Cross, so a general salutes a corporal VC. Some commenters said there a similar US tradition with the Medal of Honor, and perhaps parallel traditions in many countries. I dunno. The only medals I ever received had chocolate inside.
It’s true. Everyone in the US military is required to salute Medal of Honor winners.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The Coronation

Post by RTH10260 »

:o how dare they not ...
Royal drama at Sydney Opera House after refusal to light up sails for king’s coronation
Government argues the financial burden would have been significant if the projection had gone ahead

Jordyn Beazley
Mon 8 May 2023 07.59 BST

A decision to scrap plans to light the sails of the Sydney Opera House in honour of the coronation of King Charles has been defended by the premier of the state of New South Wales, Chris Minns.

The famous sails of the Opera House are often lit for major events in Australia, including for a tribute to Queen Elizabeth II after she died and a controversial projection promoting a horse race.

But Saturday’s coronation did not make the cut, with the recently elected Labor government in the state reversing its predecessor’s decision to do so.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... coronation
northland10

The Coronation

Post by northland10 »

I have noticed everybody is missing the hints made in the music of the coronation.

Roxanna Puanfnik is best known for her earlier work, Westminster Mass, commissioned by the Roman Catholic Westminster Cathedral Coir on the occasion of a Cardinal's 75th birthday. There was a lack of English Tudor music on the service (no Tallis or Tomkins), yet they had music by that naughty Roman Catholic boy, William Byrd. At William's wedding, they did a work by Paul Mealor in Latin (Ubi Caritas, lovely setting).

His name is Charles.

Connect the dots, people. The King is taking the Church of England back to the arms of Rome.

Oh, and that strange guy who people claim is Karl Jenkins is really a woman because no composer would ever look weird.
Volkonski
Verified:

The Coronation

Post by Volkonski »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Azastan
Verified:

The Coronation

Post by Azastan »

p0rtia wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:48 am :yeahthat:

The blue plumage in the manes and on the harness is to die for.
A quote from one of the FB groups I follow:

"They are called mane dressings. They are made by the saddlers at the Royal Mews, and attached by ribbons through laid down plaits along the neck. I am the recently retired Master Saddler from the Mews and was involved in making the ones for the Golden and Diamond jubilees, the red ones are used frequently, but the blue were made specially for the Coronation, the colour was chosen by the King."
northland10

The Coronation

Post by northland10 »

chancery wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:46 pm I'd be interested in your thoughts about the service, especially about the music, if you get a chance to watch. In general I thought it was the expected high-standard anglican choir singing but not quite concert/first-class-service quality because of limitations of the event, the venue and the broadcast sound system. Edit: See qualification below here: viewtopic.php?p=191792#p191792
I am slowly getting to it. Pipedreams (the organ radio show from Minnesota Public Radio) released an episode of Bruckner today so I had to listen to that because, Bruckner.

My listening is done on either better computer speakers with subwoofer, or Bose headphones so I am may be picking up a better quality probably.

So, after Bruckner, I decided to start with the new music. So, first is Andrew Lloyd Webber
chancery wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:46 pmThe Andrew Lloyd Webber was particularly blah.
I would be less charitable in my reaction. It reminds me of crapful of "festival" music that publishers churn out. I suppose some, generally non-musicians, might find it exciting and not be bothered with the complete lack of musical substance. You will not be hearing this one by my choir (some of his Requiem is quite nice so he does have non-Broadway composing ability).
chancery wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:46 pm The Welsh Kyrie was fine, maybe very good; I'd need to hear it some more.
This was my favorite of the 3 I have listened to so far. I like Paul Mealor's stuff and also Bryn Terfel. A gorgeous piece with Terfel floating that last solo note. :lovestruck:

One interesting thing for me. William and Kate's wedding had at least 2 commissioned works. One was by good ole John Rutter (for those not in the know, he is one of the best-known current English composers). The other was by Paul Mealor who reworked an existing piece of his, 'Now Sleeps the Crimson Petal,' into a setting of Ubi Cartias et Amor (where charity and love prevail, God is there). IMO, the Rutter was blah, but the Mealor's Ubi Caritas was stunning. He was the bright star on that one, and it appears he may be again for me.

I am not sure about Roxanna Panufnik's, Coronation Sanctus. This one may take a bit of time to digest. It is an interesting choice for the Sanctus part of the Liturgy of the Eucharist.
chancery wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:46 pm IMO the stand-out was the William Walton Te Deum, new to me, given a knock-out performance.
Have not gotten to this yet, either but I know of the work so, yeah, it would likely be great.
chancery wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:53 pm Another question. Who were the singers in black formal garb in the back row of the choir?
I assume they were one of the non-church choirs like the Monteverdi choir. If they were in black cassocks only, that might be the Byzantine choir. Some Orthodox choirs use just black cassocks.

Okay, I will drop the Coronation Kryie by Mealor here (sung in Welsh). Spoiler alert, the text is Lord Have Mercy, Christ Have Mercy, Lord Have Mercy (i.e. the Greek Kyrie Eleison, Christe Eleison, Kyrie Eleison).
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

The Coronation

Post by neonzx »

I am on Quora (to read). Often times I find stuff silly. This is one of those times. :lol:
trumpcrown.png
trumpcrown.png (47.98 KiB) Viewed 361 times
Suranis

The Coronation

Post by Suranis »

The satirical magazine Private Eye (not royalist by any means) had this as their Cover story, which had me laughing.
MAN IN HAT SITS ON CHAIR
Hic sunt dracones
chancery
Verified:

The Coronation

Post by chancery »

northland10 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:45 am Connect the dots, people. The King is taking the Church of England back to the arms of Rome.
That's really funny. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the delayed response; I was trying to come up with a comparably witty reply, but the muse didn't speak.

I will note that Tallis was himself a recusant Catholic, and possibly Tomkins as well (according to a comment on a music forum). I guess there must have been some Tudor/Jacobean composers who were hard-core Protestants, but I don't know enough to say who they were.
northland10

The Coronation

Post by northland10 »

chancery wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:04 pm I will note that Tallis was himself a recusant Catholic, and possibly Tomkins as well (according to a comment on a music forum). I guess there must have been some Tudor/Jacobean composers who were hard-core Protestants, but I don't know enough to say who they were.
I have not really paid attention to most of the Tudor composer leanings. WIkipedia says Christopher Tye had strong Protestant leanings but I am currently too lazy to walk around and see if I can confirm that in any of the books on my shelf (and I don't have access to an electronic version of the New Grove). In either case, I suspect at that time period, their leanings were in part based upon who was paying them.
Suranis

The Coronation

Post by Suranis »

Besides, at the time most English were basically Catholic anyway. Henry VIII changed pretty much nothing, and Edward never got the chance to. Mary was the one that angered everyone against Catholicism but again changed nothing doctrinaly. So it was left to Elizabeth to actually start instituting Doctrinal changes, and that was the end of the Tudor era. And even she burned Protestants and Catholics at different times, depending on who she was trying to butter up in Europe at the time.

So calling someone Protestant or Catholic in that era is pretty much a wash.
Hic sunt dracones
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

The Coronation

Post by Flatpoint High »

castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
AndyinPA
Verified:

The Coronation

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”