E. Jean Carroll v. Donald J. Trump and United States of America (poll added!)

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*

What will the jury decide?

Trump liable for rape; award of more than a million dollars
63%
Trump liable for rape; award of less than a million dollars
19%
Trump liable for rape; award of one dollar (it's possible!)
3%
Trump not liable for rape or assault
4%
Hung jury, which means mistrial and new trial later
11%

Total votes: 72

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Closing arguments start for columnist’s claims against Trump

https://apnews.com/article/trump-rape-c ... 962b48bc7b
A lawyer told a jury Monday that Donald Trump should be held accountable for sexually attacking an advice columnist in 1996 because even a former president is not above the law.

Attorney Roberta Kaplan delivered the first closing argument in the federal civil trial, showing jurors video clips of Trump from his October deposition and replaying the “Access Hollywood” video from 2005 in which Trump said into a hot mic that celebrities can grab women’s genitals without asking.

Closing arguments were expected to last all day in the case as the jurors in Manhattan hear final remarks from attorneys about the claims writer E. Jean Carroll brought against Trump.

Kaplan recalled Trump’s comment that “stars like him can get away with sexually assaulting women.”

“That’s who Donald Trump is. That is how he thinks. And that’s what he does,” Kaplan said. “He thinks he can get away with it here.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

#AshtrayJoe's summation got heated -- sustained, sustained, sustained...
Tacopina: Ms. Carroll never intended to sue until Mr Conway told her to seriously think of suing Donald Trump. First she told me, & you, no. But from her deposition, she said "Wherever I went, people said, Are you going to see him," I said no. Then George said...
Tacopina: Here is the scheming email [schemail?], about Nambia. I asked Ms. Carroll about this. She said she had no idea what it was about. But she remembers from 27 years ago revolving doors and hats. She says scheme means plan. No it doesn't.
Tacopina: Let's try using that in a sentence. Let's scheme to go get pizza. Let's scheme to go to the Yankee game. It doesn't work. OK. That's doesn't make sense.
Tacopina: Then when Ms. Martin knows they'll be subpoened she write, no more texts and chats until further notice. That's Cripp [cryp?] talk. That's not how people who have nothing to say talk. Now something lethal to them - a message, trying to thread the needle.
Tacopina: Carol Martin to her friend, about E. Jean Carroll: it's gone to another level, she's going to sue T, WTF, I can't relate to it.
[Pause]
Tacopina: That's it: game, set and match.
Tacopina: Ms Carroll made this up, from an episode of Law & Order. She brought Ms. Birnbach and Ms. Martin along. They got in too deep and couldn't get out. Folks, I'm coming to an end. Let me show you a chart, a timeline. Donald Trump is elected- then this story
Tacopina: Ms. Carroll goes on her trip, writes her book... Mid July 2019, George Conway suggests litigation--
Carroll's counsel: Objection!
Judge Kaplan: Sustained. The jury will disregard the sentence about Mr. Conway.
Tacopina: I only said-
Judge: I've ruled
Carroll's counsel: Take down the slide.
Tacopina: We've removed it.
Judge Kaplan: I want to see what was removed.
[Now slide back up, jumping to November 2019 lawsuit
Tacopina: Then Ms. Martin's message about WTF, then about getting together before her deposition
Tacopina: Let's go back to the beginning, 2012 Law and Order episode
Judge Kaplan: Sustained.
Tacopina: That's her testimony.
Judge Kaplan: That's your version.
Tacopina: I -
Judge Kaplan: One more word.
Tacopina: OK. No evidence
Tacopina: The political hatred, it was clear here. Rape WTF. Never referred to Donald Trump as a rapist --
Judge Kaplan: Sustained.
Tacopina: I'm sitting down. They have the burden and they can't carry it. Facts are stubborn things
Tacopina: E. Jean Carroll was not raped at Bergdorf Goodman. And we know reality from fiction. She is asking you to condemn another citizen as a rapist, the worst thing you could ever be called, on evidence that couldn't stand up in any credible fact investigation
Tacopina: This is an absolutely outrageous case. She had a political reason, she desired status & sucked her friends in. What about the rule of law? It's everything for us. On the facts, this is your courtroom. Just you. Not some journalist who comes in for a day
Carroll's lawyer: Objection!
Judge Kaplan: Basis?
Carroll's lawyer: Talking about journalists, not in evidence
Tacopina: I'm summing up. Have the courage to do what's right here. Thank you.
Judge Kaplan: Jurors, we'll take 20 minutes.
[To lawyers: "Remain"]
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1655 ... 27617.html

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I voted for :hanged: , but literally hung due to the OSG managing to doxx one or more jurors after they find in favor of EJC and MAGAts forming a lynch mob.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

What was the bit about George Conway? Did Taco put forward an evidence-free theory that he persuaded Carroll to sue? And did the judge block it? So Taco brought it up anyway in closing. That is a major no-no that should lead to his sanctioning, like all other Trump lawyers.
bob

Post by bob »

(Not the defamation case.)
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

SuzieC wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:08 pm What was the bit about George Conway? Did Taco put forward an evidence-free theory that he persuaded Carroll to sue? And did the judge block it? So Taco brought it up anyway in closing. That is a major no-no that should lead to his sanctioning, like all other Trump lawyers.
I think Conway was mentioned during the trial--they were at a get together after she came out with her accusation in 2019, but I think the testimony from Caroll was that Conway "encouraged" her to sue but was not the initiator or promoter of the idea. Of course to the MAGAs, it's gospel that he did spawn the idea.

So I think Taco got smacked down in closing for mis-stating the testimony.

On another note, am I the only one who has noticed, in the video of Fuckhead's depo, that when given the photo that included Caroll (whom he goes on to mistake as Marla), the first thing he does is point to the woman on the right of the photo and say he doesn't recognize her. I think he says it twice. It's Ivanna.

He doesn't seem to recognize his first wife; I think he thinks that's Caroll, and he's making a thing about not recognizing her.

JHC. What a slimeball.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

He said it was blurry. I believe that, because he's too vain to wear the glasses that he needs..
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

It wasn’t drawn in sharpies
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

He only said it was blurry after he was called on it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yeah. But the other is true also. He needs glasses to read but won’t because … weak?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:00 pm Yeah. But the other is true also. He needs glasses to read but won’t because … weak?
Yes.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:01 pm Lots of new materials were released, including the full 48-minute depo of the twice-impeached, one-term loser on trial for rape. Can't stand watching this creep, but in this case he's not in control so there's that.
Thank you for posting that! I had to watch it in 3 sittings but got through it.
What a creepshow.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

neonzx wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:00 pm
orlylicious wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:01 pm Lots of new materials were released, including the full 48-minute depo of the twice-impeached, one-term loser on trial for rape. Can't stand watching this creep, but in this case he's not in control so there's that.
Thank you for posting that! I had to watch it in 3 sittings but got through it.
What a creepshow.
I finally got around to listening to the whole deposition, at least whatever is available, while cooking dinner tonight. He did himself no favors at all, practically made the case for Ms Carroll himself. If she does not win her case there is something very wrong with the jury. He doubled down on his belief that when you are a star you can do anything, even adding "unfortunately or fortunately" at the end of admitting he believes that to be true. He came across as a serious misogynist and also proved that he was attracted to Ms Carroll, mistaking her for Marla Maples and admitting that Maples was "his type". He was like a petulant child in that deposition. Just as we would probably all expect.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Speaking of the jury, they’ve a real humdinger there.
Jose Pagliery @Jose_Pagliery wrote: Let me take this moment to remind everyone that one of the jurors on the Trump rape case is a Tim Pool podcast listener.
Michael Edison Hayden @MichaelEHayden wrote: New: Mauricio Garcia's social media trail touched neo-Nazi content and misogynist incel filth.

But he also referenced Tim Pool, VDARE, Libs of Tik Tok and Nick Fuentes. A Trump-era cluster of hate:

@hannahgais, me, Rachel Janik and @MeganSquire0:
https://splcenter.org/hatewatch/2023/05 ... ent-online
Per Daily Beast: https://www.thedailybeast.com/jury-with ... rape-trial
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Yeah, someone who listens to all that crap is definitely going to be able to deliberate actual facts that are seriously damning against his likely cult leader. I was concerned that so many men on that jury would almost ensure that at least one of them is a Trump cultist. Those people just are not reasonable at all when it comes to an honest assessment of his behavior. Is that guy on the final jury, or have the alternates been selected yet? I hope he doesn't make it on the actual deliberating panel.

If Trump is found not liable we will never hear the end of it.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I'm sure CNN will ask about this scurrilous lie at the Toad Hall tomorrow night. /sarcasm
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Toad Hall. :rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Sneak preview of the shenanigans at Toad Hall tomorrow.

Hic sunt dracones
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The verdict sheet in Carroll v. Trump is four pages long.

This first page illustrates the various theories under which a jury can find the former president liable of battery under New York's Adult Survivors Act.

Doc: https://documentcloud.org/documents/238 ... form-final
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Ah. The jury can explicitly find that he raped her.

I am not disappoint. :biggrin:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Verdict!!!! Due in at 3 PM

Less than 3 hours deliberation.

:popcorn:
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

A verdict this fast does not bode well for Trump.
Neither disbarred nor disciplined after representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I'll say....
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”