Mars

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Mars

Post by Foggy »

I have a special fascination for the Red Planet.

According to Alexa, Mars is currently 165.8 million miles from the Earth.
According to Alexa, Mars is currently 154.6 million miles from the Sun.

Okay, wait, Mars is farther from the Sun than Earth is, everybody knows that. Except today it isn't true, because of orbits.

There are 6 active Mars missions being run by Earthlings:
  • InSight
  • Mars Atmosphere and Volatile EvolutioN (MAVEN)
  • Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter
  • Curiosity Rover
  • Mars Express
  • Mars Odyssey
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mars ... index.html
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Suranis

Mars

Post by Suranis »

View of Milky Way Galaxy from the surface of Mars.

Mars.jpg
Mars.jpg (173.93 KiB) Viewed 780 times
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Mars

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Mars

Post by RTH10260 »

Don't let the sun .... or there will be a black hole :biggrin:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Mars

Post by poplove »

I love Mars ear candy.

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Mars

Post by neonzx »

much ado

Mars

Post by much ado »

Anyone remember this? Disney's Mars and Beyond, aired 1957. I was eight when it came out. I loved it.

There's a five minute segment where the Disney writers and animators let their imaginations run wild with bizarre speculation. This link starts the video at that part...

Phoenix520
Verified:

Mars

Post by Phoenix520 »

I haz a proud-adjacent. Our friend for whom mr 520 made camera parts got an award!!

Hi Everyone, I was awarded the 2021 NASA Exceptional Achievement Medal for the development of the PIXL instrument on the Perseverance Rover. I'm particularly grateful as only 2 were awarded across the entire Mars 2020/Perseverance Rover effort. Due to Covid it was delayed...but now it is real. Great thanks to the many people who made this award possible. Even greater THANKS to the truly great team who made PIXL possible. And above all, thanks to PIXL's Principal Investigator, Abigail Allwood.
much ado

Mars

Post by much ado »

Very cool!
neonzx

Mars

Post by neonzx »

I was so high during this movie in the theater mid 90s. (and that was not something I normally did -- but you know, sh*t happens). What a great movie. :lol:

AndyinPA
Verified:

Mars

Post by AndyinPA »

That movie was a real hoot! :rotflmao:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Mars

Post by Slim Cognito »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:55 pm I haz a proud-adjacent. Our friend for whom mr 520 made camera parts got an award!!

Hi Everyone, I was awarded the 2021 NASA Exceptional Achievement Medal for the development of the PIXL instrument on the Perseverance Rover. I'm particularly grateful as only 2 were awarded across the entire Mars 2020/Perseverance Rover effort. Due to Covid it was delayed...but now it is real. Great thanks to the many people who made this award possible. Even greater THANKS to the truly great team who made PIXL possible. And above all, thanks to PIXL's Principal Investigator, Abigail Allwood.
Cool!!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
chancery
Verified:

Mars

Post by chancery »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:55 pm I haz a proud-adjacent. Our friend for whom mr 520 made camera parts got an award!!

:like:

:cheer2: :cheer1: :banana: :cheer2: :cheer1:

That's way cool. I've been following Mars rovers since the 2004 MER landings.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Mars

Post by keith »

neonzx wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:46 pm I was so high during this movie in the theater mid 90s. (and that was not something I normally did -- but you know, sh*t happens). What a great movie. :lol:
Mars Attacks: US Congress
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx

Mars

Post by neonzx »

keith wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:52 am
neonzx wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:46 pm I was so high during this movie in the theater mid 90s. (and that was not something I normally did -- but you know, sh*t happens). What a great movie. :lol:
Mars Attacks: US Congress
Oh boy. All we had to do was play yodeling and the Martian heads exploded. 8-) Planet saved!!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Mars

Post by Foggy »

The PIXL (Planetary Instrument for X-ray Lithochemistry) for the Perseverance rover is a microfocus X-ray fluorescence instrument that rapidly measures elemental chemistry at sub-millimeter scales by focusing an X-ray beam to a tiny spot on the target rock or soil and analyzing the induced X-ray fluorescence.
Now that's amazing. :shock:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Mars

Post by RTH10260 »

Tragic Final Flight Of NASA's Martian Helicopter - Stranded in Neretva Vallis

Scott Manley
29 Jan 2024

After an emergency landing, a test flight and a loss of communications we were sad to hear that Ingenuity's flying days are over and it will end its mission parked on sand dunes in an ancient riverbed.

Return to “Astronomy”