Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Another Shooting

Lani

Another Shooting

Post by Lani »

Really? The best Texas' Governor can do after a mass shooting is victim-shame over immigration status (and still manage to get it wrong)?
Quote Tweet
Carlos Eduardo Espina
@cespina1998
·
4h
I just spoke to the husband of one of the victims. He confirmed to me that his wife was a permanent resident of the US. He even sent me a picture of her ID confirming this.

But I guess to Greg Abbott, anyone who is from another country is an ‘ilegal immigrant’. Shameful. twitter.com/gregabbott_tx/…

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Texas fugitive accused of killing 5 was illegally in US; deported 5 times
Francisco Oropesa has reentered country illegally 'multiple' times following deportations: ICE source

By Brie Stimson , Bill Melugin | Fox News
Published April 30, 2023 8:06pm EDT

:snippity: )

Oropesa was in the country illegally at the time of the shooting and had previously reentered the country illegally "multiple" times following his deportations, another ICE source told Fox News Digital.

The source added that Oropesa was last encountered by ICE in 2016.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-fugiti ... ed-5-times
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Post by Dave from down under »

Then he shouldn’t have been able to easily Aquire his Arsenal… oh wait it’s Texas where you can get guns easier that electricity.
Kendra

Another Shooting

Post by Kendra »

Reports I heard this afternoon says the peep had been deported multiple times. Nicole Wallace opened her show today on this shooting. Abbott was mentioned for his illegal Immigrant remarks.
SuzieC
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by SuzieC »

This case has to be causing cognitive dissonance inside the heads of right wingers. On the one hand, they hate illegal immigrants. On the other hand, they love his gunz. Didn't the NRA come out with a statement offering to provide him with a criminal defense lawyer, to argue that it was his god-given 2d amendment right to shoot off guns in his backyard?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Another Shooting

Post by raison de arizona »

2-year-old dies after finding mother’s loaded gun in LaGrange apartment
:snippity:
LaGrange police when officers arrived, they found Ayden King, 2, with a gunshot wound. He’d been shot in the face, police said. His mother, grandmother, and two older sisters were distraught.

“I can’t even put into words what I would feel, much less what they feel,” said Lt. Mark Cavender of the LaGrange Police Department.

Paramedics rushed the boy to WellStar West Georgia Medical Center, but he did not survive.

The family spokesperson released a statement about the shooting saying:
To whom it may concern: Ayden D King was born May 5, 2020. His mom’s name is Chepial Williams. Ayden was a joyful baby full of life!!! He loved Spiderman, Firetrucks and water!! There will be a go fund me posted for today also there will be a candlelight vigil at the apartment complex, will find out the date as of today and keep you all posted. As of now, no funeral arrangements are in place at this time. Thanks for the continued prayers.
Cavender said the preliminary investigation shows Ayden’s mother carries a gun for protection and that she has no criminal background which would prevent her from doing so. He said it appears she had just gotten home from work when she placed her belongings in what she thought would be a secure place as she went to the bathroom. Her son, however, found it.

Cavender said detectives do not believe the boy’s mother intended to be reckless or negligent with the gun.

“I was actually speaking with my daughter this morning. I’m expecting my first grandchild in June,” Cavender said. “With this incident right here, it makes me think when my grandson gets here and begins to walk and move around, I have to go back to like it was when I had small children to make sure the guns are not accessible.”

Cavender said it’s a tragic reminder for gun owners on the importance of taking a gun safety course. He said, when children are around, gun owners should lock their guns in cabinets or use safety locks to secure the triggers.

Detectives said the investigation continues, but at the moment, it does not look like anyone will face charges in this case.
https://www.atlantanewsfirst.com/2023/0 ... olice-say/

I won't be contributing. In fact, I think the mother belongs in jail. And Lt. Cavender doesn't seem too bright either, it just occurred to him that he may have to pick up his loaded guns when his grandchildren come around?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Well
Carrying a gun
Sure protected her family..
Except her son.

Add another statistical point to the chart that says your gun(s) make you and those you know less safe.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

I will not be chipping in to the GoFundMe either. Most everyone here, even without children, knows how to "child proof" a home -- but gun nutters don't consider that danger (1A!!!).

Perhaps the prosecutor or state attorney felt this mom had already punished herself by permitting her child to die on her watch?
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Several Conroe ISD schools secure campuses amid manhunt for mass shooting suspect Francisco Oropesa

https://abc13.com/conroe-isd-schools-se ... /13201806/
Heavy police presence on FM 2090 and Crocket Martin prompted Conroe ISD schools to secure campuses Monday afternoon, according to the district.

This comes as the intense search for Francisco Oropesa enters day three. Oropesa is accused of killing his five neighbors, including an 8-year-old boy, in San Jacinto County, about 45 miles north of Houston.

He has been on the run since Friday night.

The Montgomery County Sheriff's Office said that a man who was possibly Oropesa was spotted in the area.

Deputies added that there is no confirmation that the man who resembles the wanted mass shooting suspect is Oropesa. In an update at 4:35 p.m., the sheriff's office said, "All persons in the area were investigated, and none were found to be Oropesa."

List of schools that secured campuses

Caney Creek High School
Moorhead Junior High
Grangerland Intermediate
Milam Elementary
Hope Elementary
Creighton Elementary
Austin Elementary
San Jacinto Elementary
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
W. Kevin Vicklund

Another Shooting

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

We went into lockdown at work today due to an "active event investigation" Ended up being nothing, but huge police presence a couple blocks north of us, right at lunch.
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-02/ ... /102290342

A baseball player for a small college in Texas is in hospital after he was struck by a stray bullet during a game over the weekend.

Key points:
The 18-year-old was not playing for Texas A&M-Texarkana when he was hit by the bullet
He was hit in the chest and was taken to hospital, where he is in a stable condition
Police said a 20-year-old turned himself in to authorities but a 17-year-old male remains at large

:snippity:

Police, in a post on the Texarkana department's Facebook page, said they received several calls about shots fired in the neighbourhood west of the field.

Officers found several spent shell casings in the front yard of a residence.

Police said a disturbance ended with two men shooting at each other in front of the house. One of the shots travelled about 400 yards and hit DeLaney.

ME: just another day in a war zone - just another case of collateral damage
Patagoniagirl

Another Shooting

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Kendra wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:28 pm Reports I heard this afternoon says the peep had been deported multiple times. Nicole Wallace opened her show today on this shooting. Abbott was mentioned for his illegal Immigrant remarks.

I was just wondering how many of the 175+ mass shootings have been committed by illegal immigrants. Hmmm.
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

If You See Something, Don’t Say Something

An unnamed 13-year-old girl at Lakeview Middle School in Lewisville, Texas, overheard a boy at school tell a classmate, “Don’t come to school tomorrow.” The 8th-grader couldn’t help but think of the elementary school shooting in Uvalde less than a year before, where a former student killed 19 children and 2 teachers. On the way home, she texted a few friends: “this is genuinely scaring the sh– out of me. lets see if i can tell my mom without crying.” After she got home and told her what happened, her mother picked up the phone to call the school, but it rang before she could: it was the assistant principal, who had heard the gossip. A school police officer investigated the boy and discovered he had no access to guns. That would be the end of the story, except we live in a Zero Tolerance world: the next day the girl was called to principal Beri Deister’s office to determine her punishment for what Deister called “a false accusation.”

far more at
https://thisistrue.com/texas-zt/?awt_a= ... kVNCJyAPkr
AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/te ... -rcna82214
A person believed to be the man accused of killing five of his neighbors with an AR-15 rifle in their Texas home was apprehended by law enforcement agents Tuesday, an official said.

A person believed to be Francisco Oropesa, 38, was arrested in the city of Cut and Shoot, Texas, San Jacinto County District Attorney Todd Dillon said.

Authorities are awaiting fingerprints to confirm the person arrested is Oropesa, Dillon said. He has been taken to the Montgomery County Jail and is charged with first-degree murder, he said.

The FBI said it was planning a news conference Tuesday evening about the case.

If confirmed to be Oropesa, the arrest brings an end to the sprawling search that involved more than 250 law enforcement officers, the FBI and a reward of $80,000 for information.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Another Shooting

Post by pipistrelle »

A person believed to be Francisco Oropesa, 38, was arrested in the city of Cut and Shoot
roadscholar

Another Shooting

Post by roadscholar »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:09 pm
A person believed to be Francisco Oropesa, 38, was arrested in the city of Cut and Shoot
That's just because he couldn't make it all the way to Truth or Consequences.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

That's about 9 miles from the crime scene.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

Volkonski wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:24 pm That's about 9 miles from the crime scene.
Thanks. I was wondering about that.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Oklahoma bodies found - latest: Seven dead in Henryetta were shot by convicted rapist, grandmother claims

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 31356.html
Janette Mayo, 59, said the Okmulgee County Sheriff’s Office notified her on Monday about the deaths of her daughter Holly Guess, 35, and her grandchildren, Rylee Elizabeth Allen, 17, Michael James Mayo, 15, and Tiffany Dore Guess, 13.

The other three found dead are believed to be sex offender Jesse McFadden, 15-year-old Ivy Webster and 16-year-old Brittany Brewer. While authorities have yet to release a cause of death for the seven victims, Ms Mayo said the victims were shot by McFadden at various locations across his Henryetta property.

In a Facebook post, Ms Mayo indicated that her daughter was married to McFadden. Ivy and Brittany were named in an Amber Alert on Monday morning after disappearing while in McFadden’s company. The two girls were supposed to be going swimming at a creek with McFadden’s teenage daughter.

Meanwhile, records showed McFadden had been scheduled to appear in court on the same day that seven bodies were found.
Lani

Another Shooting

Post by Lani »

Heartbreaking :crying:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
tek

Another Shooting

Post by tek »

Luckily, we can just throw up our hands!
d-6.jpg
d-6.jpg (77.84 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Phoenix520
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Phoenix520 »

Decades ago a good friend’s brother was given a life sentence in Texas for possession of two joints. Another’s son was also arrested for possession 20 years ago.

I’d vowed never to spend my money in Texas after the first incident. Nothing that’s happened since has changed my mind. I’m hardened now.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Another Shooting

Post by raison de arizona »

Active shooter in Atlanta, multiple injuries.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/03/us/atlan ... index.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

CNN Breaking News
@cnnbrk@c.im
The five people shot today in Atlanta were women and the suspect carjacked a vehicle when he fled, police chief says https://cnn.it/3VsZEDw
Atlanta authorities are searching for the person who shot five people Wednesday at Northside Hospital Medical in Midtown Atlanta, killing one person and sending four others to the hospital, and then fleeing in a carjacked vehicle, Atlanta Police Chief Darin Schierbaum said during a Wednesday afternoon news conference.

The person who died was a 39-year-old woman, Schierbaum said. The injured victims were also all female, ranging from 25 to 71 years old.

The suspect, Deion Patterson, left the building and is believed to have carjacked a vehicle a short distance away, the police chief said.

He is still at large and there are active leads in Cobb County and in the city of Atlanta, Schierbaum said.
Chilidog

Another Shooting

Post by Chilidog »

Authorities are trying to identify a suspect wanted for the Molino 2 Wildfire, which started on Sunday, April 30.

The fire resulted in the closure of the Catalina Highway in the Santa Catalina Ranger District, Coronado National Forest. Video shows the suspect shooting illegal shotgun rounds and the start of the wildfire.
Video at the link.

https://www.kold.com/2023/05/02/watch-t ... utType=amp

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”