It sucks growing old

pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

Gregg wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:01 am
bill_g wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:33 am Wow. You bounce back fast. That's incredible. Are they sending a home care nurse over to check on you?
Are you kidding? They practically chase you out of the hospitals now as soon as you wake up! :rotflmao:

I'm lucky (?) I stayed overnight! I'm sore as hell, look like I have 5 gunshot wounds on my belly but I have Tramadol so it's not so bad. I walked half a mile today, which wore me out but they said to exercise.
In the old days, they kept you for a long time, prescribed bed rest, etc. They've come to realize movement and exercise promote healing. There was also a movement I lost track of where they wouldn't wake you up every two hours to take your vitals because not getting sleep doesn't promote healing. Who'd have thunk?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

It sucks growing old

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:24 am :snippity: There was also a movement I lost track of where they wouldn't wake you up every two hours to take your vitals because not getting sleep doesn't promote healing. Who'd have thunk?
The last time I was in, they didn't wake me to take vitals. I was already hooked up to various sensors. And a blood pressure cuff that automatically did it's duty on a schedule. I got used to the blood pressure thing pretty quick and it was pretty easy to quickly zonk out back to sleep.

The only time they had to wake me was when I rolled over in my sleep and pinched the IV line. Whoops. :oopsy:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:01 am Sadly, physical therapy doesn't work if it's not uncomfortable.
Not true for me. My physical therapist doesn't do that at all, in fact, his approach is, find out what doesn't hurt and do that.

I have done nothing but leg exercises that don't hurt, and my arm is way ahead of the predicted range of motion, etc.

Today, finally, I can do some arm exercises. But only if they don't hurt.

Check out Total Motion Release, because their motto should be "Less Pain, More Gain".
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Slim Cognito
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Slim Cognito »

I stand corrected. I was going by my own hand surgery therapy, and it hurt like a son of a gun. They replaced my thumb joint which consisted of literally cutting off my thumb, replacing the joint with a shave of tendon from my forearm, and sewing the digit back on. After weeks of casting, I was expected to progress from completely frozen thumb to having to touch the palm of my hand with it. They* gave me a goal of six weeks to break it loose, but because the other patients sitting around the therapy table at the therapist's office were trump-sucking a-holes, I got myself out of there in four.

Worth it.

*Insurance company
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Yikes! :eek:

I gotta tell that to my therapist, see what he says about rebuilt thumbs. :think:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:01 am Sadly, physical therapy doesn't work if it's not uncomfortable. No pain, no gain. Yeah, I'd like to smack whomever coined that phrase, too.

:dog: :bighug:

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

It sucks growing old

Post by johnpcapitalist »

jemcanada2 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:56 am They waited until the anesthesia wore off before they chased you out of the hospital? Luxury!! :batting: :batting:
Yes, I did catch the origin of that line. Ha!

But it's funny that someone who lives in the medical paradise of Canada, with its free health care, is talking about how miserable they have it in the hospital. Those of us south of the 49th Parallel know all of you in the Great White North linger in the lap of luxury for as long as you need to, with guaranteed job security allowing you worry-free recovery.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

It sucks growing old

Post by keith »

Small portions Gregg, small portions. Not too spicy.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
jemcanada2

It sucks growing old

Post by jemcanada2 »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:13 pm
jemcanada2 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:56 am They waited until the anesthesia wore off before they chased you out of the hospital? Luxury!! :batting: :batting:
Yes, I did catch the origin of that line. Ha!

But it's funny that someone who lives in the medical paradise of Canada, with its free health care, is talking about how miserable they have it in the hospital. Those of us south of the 49th Parallel know all of you in the Great White North linger in the lap of luxury for as long as you need to, with guaranteed job security allowing you worry-free recovery.
Well, we do have to pay for parking at the hospital! :lol: :lol: :batting: :batting:

But seriously, I would love to see all my fellow fogbowers with universal healthcare :bighug: :bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

It hurts to be the one posting this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness ... americans/
In 2020, the deaths of 36,508 U.S. residents 65 and older were related to falls, representing 86 percent of all fatal falls that year, according to research published in the journal JAMA.

Based on death certificate data compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the research found that fatal falls in this age group had increased from 10,097 in 1999, and at a rate that more than doubled in about two decades — from 29 deaths per 100,000 people to 69 deaths per 100,000 people.

The research notes that falls have become the leading cause of injury for the age group. More than 1 in 4 people 65 or older fall each year, according to the CDC (although the agency says less than half tell their doctor). About 1 in 5 falls results in a serious injury, such as broken bones or a head injury, and 3 million older adults are treated in emergency rooms each year because of falls.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’m ensconced on the couch with BPV today, triggered by reaching weirdly for a tissue. I really hate it. Can’t move much without barfing, can’t read, can’t watch tv. There are waves to it, so I wait for subsidence and do things in the interim but I don’t want to fall so mostly staying put.

W4 would understand. I miss her.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:25 pm It hurts to be the one posting this.
Oh, Andy. :bighug:

My wife's mom died from falls - several of them - but that isn't what it said on the death certificate.

She had Alzheimer's. She would get confused after using the bathroom and she fell into the bathtub several times, bonking her head on the tile wall.

This led to bruising and blood on the brain. The doctors cut a rectangle out of the side of her skull to relieve the pressure. They put her in hospice, and she never spoke again. Ol' Wifehorn and I kept her alive for 3.5 years after that - we took really good care of her - but the real cause of her death, imho, was the falls in the tub.

And we always knew when it happened, because her dad wasn't strong enough to pull her mom out of the tub, so we would get in the car at 10 pm and drive a dozen miles to their house.

I've had such an exciting life. :oldman:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Whatever4

It sucks growing old

Post by Whatever4 »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:36 pm :bighug:

I’m ensconced on the couch with BPV today, triggered by reaching weirdly for a tissue. I really hate it. Can’t move much without barfing, can’t read, can’t watch tv. There are waves to it, so I wait for subsidence and do things in the interim but I don’t want to fall so mostly staying put.

W4 would understand. I miss her.
Miss you too! BPV sucks. I have a great physical therapist who can cure it with some new tangled version of the Eply Maneuvers.
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Oh sure, first post after a long absence, and she coins a new phrase, "new tangled" to replace "newfangled". Applied to physical therapy, where you tangle your limbs around. I mean, I love it. I mean, I suspect auto-correct. I mean, I am so jealous of people who are better than me at new tangling the English language. I mean, I have missed you so much.

I mean ... what do I mean? :confuzzled:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Whatever4

It sucks growing old

Post by Whatever4 »

Foggy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:54 am Oh sure, first post after a long absence, and she coins a new phrase, "new tangled" to replace "newfangled". Applied to physical therapy, where you tangle your limbs around. I mean, I love it. I mean, I suspect auto-correct. I mean, I am so jealous of people who are better than me at new tangling the English language. I mean, I have missed you so much.

I mean ... what do I mean? :confuzzled:
:rotflmao: :lovestruck: hahaha! Definitely Autocorrect.
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Phoenix520
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Phoenix520 »

:bighug: :bighug:

My doc has the instructions for the old tangled way on his website, i found out too late. :P

How’s Tricksie?

(Oh lord, my heart is full. Estiveo and W4!)
June bug

It sucks growing old

Post by June bug »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:36 am :bighug: :bighug:

Me too! Plus, also Stern!!
:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Whatever4

It sucks growing old

Post by Whatever4 »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:36 am :bighug: :bighug:

My doc has the instructions for the old tangled way on his website, i found out too late. :P

How’s Tricksie?

Tricksy is now 5 years old, and quite the cynic. We went away for 3 nights and she’s still peeved about it.
IMG_2506.jpeg
IMG_2506.jpeg (75.28 KiB) Viewed 503 times
IMG_2507.jpeg
IMG_2507.jpeg (90.02 KiB) Viewed 503 times
—Theodore Roosevelt
Phoenix520
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Phoenix520 »

Oooo that look! :lol:

Still as gorgeous as ever though :lovestruck:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

It sucks growing old

Post by neonzx »

Whatever4 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:39 pm
Tricksy is now 5 years old, and quite the cynic. We went away for 3 nights and she’s still peeved about it.
Unlike dogs, cats are Tricky. They don't give a damn and everything is on their terms. Cat people (I am one) know we are ruled by these overlords and accept such. LOL :lol:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hi, W4!!!! :wave:

It's great seeing you and Madame Tricksy again!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

It sucks growing old

Post by northland10 »

W4 :fiesta:
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

It sucks growing old

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”