X -Where Twitter goes to die.

MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

roadscholar

Twitter

Post by roadscholar »

I did too. And since Musk called CNN and others “government-funded media,” I’m sure not going back. 😡

To me, there’s only two kinds of media: those that promulgate outright lies and those that don’t.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

roadscholar wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:58 am I did too. And since Musk called CNN and others “government-funded media,” I’m sure not going back. 😡

To me, there’s only two kinds of media: those that promulgate outright lies and those that don’t.
I think it was PBS or NPR Elmo attacked. Funny thing is, only a tiny percentage of their funding comes from the government/tax dollars -- it comes "from viewers like you".

Outside of PBS/NPR, It's sad when I see often better reporting from international sources on issues occurring in our country. :cry:
somerset

Twitter

Post by somerset »

neonzx wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:07 pm
roadscholar wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:58 am I did too. And since Musk called CNN and others “government-funded media,” I’m sure not going back. 😡

I think it was PBS or NPR Elmo attacked. Funny thing is, only a tiny percentage of their funding comes from the government/tax dollars -- it comes "from viewers like you".

Outside of PBS/NPR, It's sad when I see often better reporting from international sources on issues occurring in our country. :cry:
A subscription to The Economist is now almost $400/year in the US. It's a lot of money, but I think you get what you pay for.
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Elon really has no clue how Twitter makes money, does he?

Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

These journalists have no clue why Elon’s ruining Twitter, do they? You’d think some of them would. Historians do, mostly.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

No he didn't, and no it hasn't.
TexasLindsay™ @TexasLindsay_ wrote: 🔥@ElonMusk just blew the lid off of a story that’s been suppressed by the media for years—Mark Zuckerberg gave $400M in that last election in support of efforts that benefit the Democratic Party
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Blue checks are gone. Chaos is beginning.

p0rtia

Twitter

Post by p0rtia »

So I've been blocking Twitter Blue accounts for an hour or so, and was surprised to see a number of avowed left wing supporters had the "paid" check mark.

Just saw a post by Stephen King saying that his account says he has paid for Twitter Blue and provided a phone number, but he has done no such thing.

So yeah, chaos.
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

I am absolutely convinced there is a special reason that "unplanned rapid disassembly" is not trending.

I mean, come on. They have to be suppressing that.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

Scott MacFarlane is no longer a verified journalist.

So, yeah, stupid chaos.
Volkonski
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Volkonski »

Beyonce and the Pope among those to lose Twitter blue check in purge

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-65344010
The social media giant began removing the once-coveted blue check verification from thousands of accounts on Thursday.

The move comes as owner Elon Musk attempts to overhaul the social media company to turn a profit.

Users who wish to retain the check beside their name must pay $84 a year (£67) to subscribe to Twitter Blue.

As the change happened, many formerly verified voiced took to Twitter to joke about it, or mourn the loss.

The company first introduced the verification feature in 2009, after a former professional baseball player sued the social media giant over imposter accounts.

The blue check became a status symbol and a sign of authority. But in the new Twitter-verse, Mr Musk wants users to pay to be verified.

The decision to monetise verification could usher in a massive cultural and power shift on the platform.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Volkonski »

Trump lost his blue check.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Twitter

Post by sugar magnolia »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:05 pm Beyonce and the Pope among those to lose Twitter blue check in purge

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-65344010
The social media giant began removing the once-coveted blue check verification from thousands of accounts on Thursday.

The move comes as owner Elon Musk attempts to overhaul the social media company to turn a profit.

Users who wish to retain the check beside their name must pay $84 a year (£67) to subscribe to Twitter Blue.

As the change happened, many formerly verified voiced took to Twitter to joke about it, or mourn the loss.

The company first introduced the verification feature in 2009, after a former professional baseball player sued the social media giant over imposter accounts.

The blue check became a status symbol and a sign of authority. But in the new Twitter-verse, Mr Musk wants users to pay to be verified.

The decision to monetise verification could usher in a massive cultural and power shift on the platform.
No need to worry about another lawsuit, I suppose.

Conversation with my son when he was about 6 years old:
Me: Don't climb that tree. You'll fall out and break your arm.
*Son climbs tree, falls out and breaks his arm*
Me: I guess you won't be climbing that tree any more, will you?
Son: Oh no, I can climb it now. I already broke my arm.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:45 pm So I've been blocking Twitter Blue accounts for an hour or so, and was surprised to see a number of avowed left wing supporters had the "paid" check mark.

Just saw a post by Stephen King saying that his account says he has paid for Twitter Blue and provided a phone number, but he has done no such thing.

So yeah, chaos.
Elmo said he was “personally” paying for some celebs’ blue checks, FWIW. King and LeBron James are the two I know about, but apparently there are others.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Flatpoint High »

POTUS has had his blue check removed. I guess it's "retaliation" for taxes cheat bingo kicked off for Stochastic Terrorism violations
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

Always thought the feds should come up with their own platform. Although president indicated would have turned it to trash.
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

I know I've occasionally made "please be my friend" posts here and there, but when you are the so called richest guy in the world making "please be my friend" posts, its an extra level of pathetic...

Elon03.jpg
Elon03.jpg (152.26 KiB) Viewed 579 times
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Twitter

Post by Foggy »

Elmo wrote:I'm paying for a few personally.
Oh man, he's using Fogbow! He went straight to our "Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes" and paid for all those people personally, I betcha! (That'd be just like him.)
:sarcastic:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

He’s not “paying.” They’re on a list.

Did he “pay” for the pathetic “Catturd”?
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neeneko

Twitter

Post by neeneko »

I wonder if that is intended for companies who purchase ads, or just anyone who uses twitter 'for advertising'
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Twitter

Post by Greatgrey »

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Dave from down under

Twitter

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-24/ ... /102258586

Twitter appears to give blue tick verification to dead users including celebrities Kobe Bryant, Chadwick Boseman and Chester Bennington

Elon Musk's revamp of Twitter's blue tick service has hit another hurdle after it emerged that several dead celebrities and other high-profile users appeared to have been signed up to the verification service.

Key points:
Dead Twitter users with blue ticks included Marvel actor Chadwick Boseman and basketballer Kobe Bryant
Twitter claims blue-tick members have had their current phone numbers verified
Elon Musk revealed he had been personally paying for some people's ticks

One of Mr Musk's first moves when he bought Twitter last year was to announce that the platform's blue ticks — which verify a high-profile user's identity — would no longer be free.

Instead he has created a subscription service, charging users US$8 a month ($11.90) for the blue tick.

While some high-profile users declined to pay and had their ticks removed, others, including some who have been dead for years, appeared to still have their checks.

Verified Twitter profiles which appeared to belong to dead celebrities included Marvel actor Chadwick Boseman, basketballer Kobe Bryant and Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington.

There was also a blue tick on a profile appearing to belong to Jamal Khashoggi, a journalist killed by Saudi agents in Istanbul in 2018.

When someone hovers over the blue tick next to the user's name a statement pops up which says: "This account is verified because they are subscribed to Twitter Blue and verified their phone number."

It was unclear if the dead Twitter users' agents or other third parties had paid the subscription fee.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

Dead T-itter celebrity users retained a blue-check mark. I approve. :rotflmao: All seems legit.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”