Dominion v Fox - Dominion Voting Sues Fox News for $1.6B over 2020 Election Claims in Delaware

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
humblescribe
Verified:

Dominion v Fox - Dominion Voting Sues Fox News for $1.6B over 2020 Election Claims in Delaware

Post by humblescribe »

Fox can always earn this settlement amount and any future settlement amounts back. They may post a quarterly loss in their financials, but they will emerge unscathed in the eyes of their viewers. That is ultimately what led to the settlement. I do not think that Dominion's lawyers were going to pass up $787.5 million for their $50 million client. So, while it would have been equitable and just for Fox to air retractions and apologies for their venality and mendacity, lawyers gotta do what is best for their client.

Funny how one of Fox' defense was that they were reporting on newsworthy events. Tell me, Rupert, Lachlan, Suzanne, Tucker, Sean, Laura, and the rest of the gang, is not a $787.5 million defamation settlement newsworthy? Had this been a trial with CNN or MSNBC instead would you be reporting it?

I'll wait. :boxing:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

humblescribe wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:12 pm Fox can always earn this settlement amount and any future settlement amounts back. They may post a quarterly loss in their financials, but they will emerge unscathed in the eyes of their viewers. That is ultimately what led to the settlement. I do not think that Dominion's lawyers were going to pass up $787.5 million for their $50 million client. So, while it would have been equitable and just for Fox to air retractions and apologies for their venality and mendacity, lawyers gotta do what is best for their client.

Funny how one of Fox' defense was that they were reporting on newsworthy events. Tell me, Rupert, Lachlan, Suzanne, Tucker, Sean, Laura, and the rest of the gang, is not a $787.5 million defamation settlement newsworthy? Had this been a trial with CNN or MSNBC instead would you be reporting it?

Well, it wasn’t up to the lawyers to pass on or accept the settlement.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Wendybird

Post by Wendybird »

Well, I'm gutted. I let myself believe Dominion would include insisting on an on-air apology. I thought Dominion would only settle for the 1.6 billion PLUS an on-air apology. I clearly thought wrong. Fox will just play this off and go back to business as usual. Their idiot customers will never be the wiser.
Oh well.
:(
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I am satisfied with the outcome. If you recall, some Dominion employees had to go into hiding because they were doxed and their lives threatened by RWNJs.

Now let's move on to the pillow dude. :twisted:
realist

Post by realist »

neonzx wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:59 pm I am satisfied with the outcome. If you recall, some Dominion employees had to go into hiding because they were doxed and their lives threatened by RWNJs.

Now let's move on to the pillow dude. :twisted:
And don''t forget SmartMatic's suit.

Also a (or more) shareholder has sued Fox over the same reporting.
Image X 4
Image X 32
realist

Post by realist »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:14 pm
humblescribe wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:12 pm Fox can always earn this settlement amount and any future settlement amounts back. They may post a quarterly loss in their financials, but they will emerge unscathed in the eyes of their viewers. That is ultimately what led to the settlement. I do not think that Dominion's lawyers were going to pass up $787.5 million for their $50 million client. So, while it would have been equitable and just for Fox to air retractions and apologies for their venality and mendacity, lawyers gotta do what is best for their client.

:yeahthat:
Image X 4
Image X 32
somerset

Post by somerset »

bob wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:55 pm
somerset wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:50 pm
chancery wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:12 pm https://twitter.com/chancery_daily/stat ... 8249062400

chancehooray daily
@chancery_daily
I don't know, but I know what it means for the breach of fiduciary duty cases in the Court of Chancery. They are on like Donkey Kong.
4:04 PM · Apr 18, 2023
???
A FOX Corp. shareholder sued Murdoch and the board, alleging they had breached the fiduciary duty they owed to the shareholders. Basically alleging they had a duty not to drive the corporation off a cliff by promoting these lies.

Today's settlement will feature in that lawsuit.
I see. Thanks!
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:14 pm

Sorry for mistyping. I fully realize that the decision lies with the client. In fact, I think everyone on this site knows this. This is picking at nits.

But tell me this: Is the lawyers' job merely to report: Fox is offering $X. Now go and think about it. Then get back to me, and I'll pass along your decision. Or is the lawyer's job to explain, give advice, offer suggestions, plan strategy, opine on the strengths and weaknesses of the case, and then develop a response?

While I was careless in my choice of words, even this accountant knows that the lawyer's job is to get the best possible result for the client. And, by extension, if the lawyers thought that this was the best possible result for the client, and recommended as much, then it is not a stretch to substitute lawyer for client in colloquial discussion. And Fogbow is essentially colloquial discussion with snark and humor tossed it for spice.

Your reply came across as condescending. Just because I am a plebeian retired CPA and not a lawyer does not mean that I am stupid.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

My apologies.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

IANAL but I've been told many times settlement is often in the interest of both parties, although most settlements I've seen have happened long before it got to jury selection/first day.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Wendybird wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:50 pm Well, I'm gutted. I let myself believe Dominion would include insisting on an on-air apology. I thought Dominion would only settle for the 1.6 billion PLUS an on-air apology. I clearly thought wrong. Fox will just play this off and go back to business as usual. Their idiot customers will never be the wiser.
Oh well.
:(
To be honest, I doubt having Tucker, Hannity, and all the others make daily apologies will make a dent in their customers' beliefs. They only will hear what they want to hear and ignore everything else.
101010 :towel:
bob

Post by bob »

Slate:
While looks can certainly be deceiving, and while I do not mean to speculate on any of the jurors’ political orientations, the majority-minority jury that was empaneled at the very least did not appear to be a demographically favorable one for Fox News, whose audience is, basically, old and white. Was the prospect of a jury which featured seven Black members and only one white male enough to push Fox back to the negotiating table?
Image ImageImage
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Justice for America denied.

There's not a single reason why the liars weren't forced to sit in the box and admit they lied for personal gain.

None.

This sucks at levels I'm only now grasping.
somerset

Post by somerset »

John Thomas8 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:15 pm Justice for America denied.

There's not a single reason why the liars weren't forced to sit in the box and admit they lied for personal gain.

None.

Civil litigation is not criminal litigation.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

somerset wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:18 pm

None.

Yep.

Still leaves America without justice.

The lying has to stop.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

John Thomas8 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:54 pm

None.

Yep.

The lying has to stop.
No shittah, JT!. Ya gots the $, well, good on ya.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:00 pm
John Thomas8 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:54 pm

Yep.

The lying has to stop.
No shittah, JT!. Ya gots the $, well, good on ya.
Giggle, I don't have the $ to crush my NPD nemesis, let alone take on a billion dollar corporation.

Neither means justice wasn't served.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

The fact that FoxNews agreed to permit the release the $ number as part of settlement agreement (often, settlements are confidential) speaks to an admission of guilt for their behavior. It's a WIN. Take it.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

neonzx wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:14 pm The fact that FoxNews agreed to permit the release the $ number as part of settlement agreement (often, settlements are confidential) speaks to an admission of guilt for their behavior. It's a WIN. Take it.
I disagree. And that is exactly my point above. Money more often than not buys it's own justice. That's not a win, but Dominion did it
realist

Post by realist »

None.

And if it had gone to trial and Dominion lost? Certainly possible. This suit wasn’t filed to “get America justice, it was filed because Diminion felt harmed and wanted Fox to be held accountable for lying about Dominion. In fact, even if tried and Dominion got every dollar it wanted plus on-air admissions, that would not “give America Justice.”

I’m not in the least surprised it settled. I suspected it would but expected it earlier. It’s not, however, unusual to settle right before trial or even during, and sometimes while the jury is deliberating.
Image X 4
Image X 32
realist

Post by realist »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:33 pm IANAL but I've been told many times settlement is often in the interest of both parties, although most settlements I've seen have happened long before it got to jury selection/first day.
Happens a lot. The phrase is “settled on the courthouse steps.”
Image X 4
Image X 32
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm as bummed as anyone else, but I'm not surprised it settled, even when it did. It's just about the money. Smartmatic will likely be the same.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:39 pm I'm as bummed as anyone else, but I'm not surprised it settled, even when it did. It's just about the money. Smartmatic will likely be the same.
Much smaller $$ though.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:30 pm I disagree. And that is exactly my point above. Money more often than not buys it's own justice. That's not a win, but Dominion did it
Yes. Imagine Fox were much smaller or cash-poor. Dominion would have insisted on some sort of mea culpa in return for not destroying the company.

But Fox's deep pockets allowed it to buy its way out of trouble, to hide its shame behind its curtain of hypocrisy. The threat that "our clever lawyers might twist the jury better than yours" is too scary for rational plaintiffs.

Always and everywhere, rich men can buy their own justice. Always. Everywhere.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:30 pm
neonzx wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:14 pm The fact that FoxNews agreed to permit the release the $ number as part of settlement agreement (often, settlements are confidential) speaks to an admission of guilt for their behavior. It's a WIN. Take it.
's the way

I disagree. And that is exactly my point above. Money more often than not buys it's own justice. That's not a win, but Dominion did it
Justice? If you are wronged by someone and file suit, you get to decide when the scales of justice balance during the course of the case. It's a civil case, not criminal. Nobody was ever going to jail over this. You know how much Dominion got in the settlement -- and since the settlement included a clause that the money amount could be made public, it trashes FoxNews. It is a win. Sorry we didn't get to see witnesses on the stand, but that's the way it goes.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”