Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Republicans behaving badly

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I am :shock: by this.

The judge who delivered a high-stakes abortion pills ruling last week removed his name from a law review article during his judicial nomination process, emails show
As a lawyer for a conservative legal group, Matthew Kacsmaryk in early 2017 submitted an article to a Texas law review criticizing Obama-era protections for transgender people and those seeking abortions.

The Obama administration, the draft article argued, had discounted religious physicians who “cannot use their scalpels to make female what God created male” and “cannot use their pens to prescribe or dispense abortifacient drugs designed to kill unborn children.”

But a few months after the piece arrived, an editor at the law journal who had been working with Kacsmaryk received an unusual email: Citing “reasons I may discuss at a later date,” Kacsmaryk, who had originally been listed as the article’s sole author, said he would be removing his name and replacing it with those of two colleagues at his legal group, First Liberty Institute, according to emails and early drafts obtained by The Washington Post.
(gift link)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That last video from TRL's husband is jaw dropping. :eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Sorry, but I'm not in a position to watch. Could someone sum up?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I got as far as the indignant “I have never been called a racist in my lahf’ before I shut it.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:00 pm Sorry, but I'm not in a position to watch. Could someone sum up?
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... see-house/

**”I’ve listened to Democrats trash us for three days, calling us racists. I’ve never had anybody call me a racist, and for the last three days, all I’ve heard from them is how this is the most racist place…They are not our friends. They destroy the Republic and the foundation of who we are, or we preserve it. That is the reality of where we are right now….and I feel that we were hung out to dry by a couple of members.”**

**”I think the problem I have is that if we don’t stick together — If you don’t believe we’re at war for our Republic — with all love and respect for you, you need a different job. The left want Tennessee so bad. Because, if they get us, the Southeast falls and it’s game over for the Republic. This is not a neighborhood social gathering. We are fighting for the Republic of our country right now. And the world is staring at us. Are we gonna stand our ground? I’ve gotten phone calls from other reps, going ‘We sure hope you guys stand up. Because maybe it will give us the courage to stand up and push back against what’s going to destroy our republic. [More Barrett bashing here] … I’ve been called a racist, a misogynist, a white supremacist more in the last two months than I have been in my entire life, and, by golly, I’m biting my tongue.**
**”And I’m telling you, Mr. Speaker, with all due respect, those days are wearing thin right now. And I’m going to have to swallow this seeing Mr. Jones back up here, walking these hallowed halls, that the greats of Tennessee stood in, and watch them disrespect the state that I chose to move to, and by golly, it’s got to stop. I’m sorry for getting angry here. My father was D-Day Plus-4 and he fought for this freaking country and many of his friends died. You gotta do what’s right even if you think it might be wrong. [Ed. Note: I don’t know, either.] And you gotta protect this freaking republic here in Tennessee or, you know what, let’s all go the hell home. I’m getting gray hairs sitting here listening to this freaking bullshit.”**
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

TY...and Jeez.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

It was more belly bumping than sausage making. It was five Republican reps having an unofficial post mortem excoriating one rep present, and others not present, for not going along with the expulsion vote. One in particular was trying to convince the others that the return of the expelled members would mean the end of The Republic. Interpret that as you will.

In many respects it was an unremarkable discussion. The remarkable part was it was recorded and disclosed. These are the things people say when they think no one outside the group can hear. They will try to weasel out claiming they were unofficial discussions and don't reflect their true positions, etc etc. Someone will throw the illegal recording card and possibly claim a breach of his 1A rights.

We'll have to see how this shakes out. I strongly suspect it will become another nothing burger. No one will care, and no one will do anything. It will quietly die in history.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

I’ve been called a racist, a misogynist, a white supremacist more in the last two months than I have been in my entire life, and, by golly, I’m biting my tongue.**
Which of course translates as "I've been called racist before so nothing new here".
You gotta do what’s right even if you think it might be wrong.
Now that right there is some world class Newspeak.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It's saying the quiet stuff out loud, which they do more and more these days. They just thought they wouldn't be heard this time.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

this
Kacsmaryk did not respond to a request for comment. A spokesman for First Liberty, Hiram Sasser, said that Kacsmaryk’s name had been a “placeholder” on the article and that Kacsmaryk had not provided a “substantive contribution.” Aaron Reitz, who was the journal’s editor in chief at the time and is now a deputy to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R), said Kacsmaryk had been “our chief point of contact during much of the editing” and “was the placeholder until final authors were named by First Liberty.”
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Yeah, sure, "Placeholder."

Also known as "Corresponding Author"

Also known as "Author." Or, primary author; the one who's going to get most of the credit for the work. The one whose reputation is built on such authorships.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

But a few months after the piece arrived, an editor at the law journal who had been working with Kacsmaryk received an unusual email: Citing “reasons I may discuss at a later date,” Kacsmaryk, who had originally been listed as the article’s sole author, said he would be removing his name and replacing it with those of two colleagues at his legal group, First Liberty Institute, according to emails and early drafts obtained by The Washington Post.
What were those reasons, hmmm?
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:59 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:00 pm Sorry, but I'm not in a position to watch. Could someone sum up?
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... see-house/

**”I’ve listened to Democrats trash us for three days, calling us racists. I’ve never had anybody call me a racist, and for the last three days, all I’ve heard from them is how this is the most racist place…They are not our friends. They destroy the Republic and the foundation of who we are, or we preserve it. That is the reality of where we are right now….and I feel that we were hung out to dry by a couple of members.”**

**”I think the problem I have is that if we don’t stick together — If you don’t believe we’re at war for our Republic — with all love and respect for you, you need a different job. The left want Tennessee so bad. Because, if they get us, the Southeast falls and it’s game over for the Republic. This is not a neighborhood social gathering. We are fighting for the Republic of our country right now. And the world is staring at us. Are we gonna stand our ground? I’ve gotten phone calls from other reps, going ‘We sure hope you guys stand up. Because maybe it will give us the courage to stand up and push back against what’s going to destroy our republic. [More Barrett bashing here] … I’ve been called a racist, a misogynist, a white supremacist more in the last two months than I have been in my entire life, and, by golly, I’m biting my tongue.**
**”And I’m telling you, Mr. Speaker, with all due respect, those days are wearing thin right now. And I’m going to have to swallow this seeing Mr. Jones back up here, walking these hallowed halls, that the greats of Tennessee stood in, and watch them disrespect the state that I chose to move to, and by golly, it’s got to stop. I’m sorry for getting angry here. My father was D-Day Plus-4 and he fought for this freaking country and many of his friends died. You gotta do what’s right even if you think it might be wrong. [Ed. Note: I don’t know, either.] And you gotta protect this freaking republic here in Tennessee or, you know what, let’s all go the hell home. I’m getting gray hairs sitting here listening to this freaking bullshit.”**
I listened to this discussion. All Democratic candidates in Tennessee and elsewhere need to repeat their mantra: "We are at war for our Republic...if the Southeast falls and it's game over for our Republic."

Let the voters know what the master plan for the Republican Party is: Take back the Republic. Take it back to the 19th and early 20th Centuries. And to borrow one of the Republican tropes, "if they can control your bodies, what else will they try to control?"

We ought to start calling those politicians reactionaries. Because that is what they truly are. They aren't conservative by any stretch.

That audio clip made me :sick:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Budweiser releases a new ad after the MAGA protest. Horses, flags, rural America.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I can't stand their beer (or any beer, really - make mine MEAD!) but man, do I love their horses!
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:56 pm I can't stand their beer (or any beer, really - make mine MEAD!) but man, do I love their horses!
Same. Just say "Clydsdales" and my eyes well up.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:31 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:56 pm I can't stand their beer (or any beer, really - make mine MEAD!) but man, do I love their horses!
Same. Just say "Clydsdales" and my eyes well up.
https://whatcamenext.com/carlton-draught/

Since the 19th Century Clydesdales horses transported Carlton beer through the streets of Melbourne, quickly becoming synonymous with the brewery; their photos still hang on the pub walls across the nation.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Other than the Clydesdales, the best thing that can be said about Carlton Draft is that it is better than Bud Light. Probably better than Bud anything. But that ain't saying much.

Hmm, without looking it up, I think a Carlton is owned by the same holding company these days

EDIT no Carlton is owned by Asahi now.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

The Clydesdales did not make an appearance in this years Bud Super Bowl commercials. It's nice to see a comeback.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://popular.info/p/update-sexton-re ... nstituents
UPDATE: Sexton responds, constituents call for resignation
JUDD LEGUM
APR 17, 2023

(Screenshot/Twiiter/@THEChrisOB)
On Thursday, Popular Information reported that Tennessee House Speaker Cameron Sexton (R) secretly purchased a $600,000 home in Nashville. Sexton and his family live in the Nashville home year-round, raising questions about whether Sexton can legally represent Crossville, a community that is two hours from the state capital. Sexton also has claimed tens of thousands of dollars in per diem reimbursements from taxpayers that are intended for representatives that live 50 miles or more from Nashville.

The same day, Sexton was confronted about his Tennessee home in a gaggle with reporters at the state Capitol building. Sexton was asked: "It's been reported that you're living in Davidson County or this immediate area, yet you've gotten… per diem [payments] almost every week for the past year based on Crossville travel. How do you justify that?"

Here is how Sexton responded:

There is a per diem for everybody for lodging and food… I have a home… My home is in Crossville. I live in Crossville. We're here five months out of the year. Then we go back on the weekends and so forth. I live in Crossville. My home is in Crossville. And those per diems are reflected amongst everybody. So, thank you.

Virtually nothing Sexton said is true.

Sexton claims there is "a per diem for everybody for lodging and food." This is not true. The per diem available to everyone, approximately $79, only covers food and incidentals. The per diem that includes lodging, approximately $313, is only available to representatives who live more than 50 miles from the state Capitol. It is pegged to the price of a hotel room in Nashville. Sexton owns a home six miles from the state Capitol but still takes the larger reimbursement.

Sexton claims he lives "in Crossville." But his residence for voting purposes is determined by Tennessee statute. Under the law, the "place where a married person's spouse and family have their habitation is presumed to be the person's place of residence." In this case, Sexton admits that his family lives year-round in Nashville, where his youngest child is enrolled in a private school. Sexton could overcome this presumption if he lives "at a place other than where the person's family resides." But Sexton does not do that. He lives with his family in Nashville.

Earlier, Sexton cited a different provision of Tennessee residency law to justify his continuing representation of Nashville. That provision states that a "person does not lose residence if, with the definite intention of returning, the person leaves home and goes to another country, state or place within this state for temporary purposes, even if of one or more years duration." But buying a home in Nashville does not suggest that his move was temporary or that he has any "definite intention of returning" to Crossville. This helps explain why Sexton went to considerable lengths to keep his purchase of a luxury home in Nashville secret.

Sexton also claims "we're here five months out of the year." It's unclear if he's talking about his family or the legislature. But the legislative session is only four months annually. The issue is not that Sexton lives in Nashville those four months. The issue is that he lives in Nashville the other eight months as well. Visiting his condo in Crossville on weekends does not mean Sexton is a Crossville resident.

Under the Tennessee Constitution, if Sexton does not live in Crossville, he can not legally represent Crossville.

Residents of Sexton's district call on Sexton to resign
Sexton represents Tennessee's District 25, which is composed of portions of Cumberland County and portions of Putnam County. In response to Popular Information's reporting, the Democratic Party of Cumberland County and the Democratic Party of Putnam County issued a joint press release calling on Sexton to resign.

Based on Tennessee’s Constitutional Requirement that representatives be duly registered voters in the districts where they live, Legum’s investigative findings showing Sexton resides in Nashville… the members of the Democratic Parties of Cumberland and Putnam Counties demand Cameron Sexton resign as TND25 Representative.

Representative Justin Jones (D), one of the Tennessee House members expelled for expressing solidarity with protesters advocating for gun control, cited Popular Information's reporting on national television. "Sexton doesn’t even live in his district," Jones said on MSNBC.Representative Gloria Johnson (D), another House member Sexton sought to expel, said that Popular Information had exposed Sexton's "corruption."
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Jim

Post by Jim »

It would be nice to see some pubs cost themselves their position because of their hate for a change...

FBI investigating GOP Oklahoma officials caught on tape talking about lynching Black people, murdering newspaper reporters
GOP officials from McCurtain County, Okla. are being investigated by the FBI after they were caught on tape expressing their frustration about it not being socially acceptable beat up and hang Black people, as well as their desires to hire hitmen to kill newspaper reporters.

The audio was published by print-only newspaper McCurtain Gazette-News, and it released transcript of a recording from a county commissioners meeting last month to the public that allegedly incriminates several public officials after disturbing comments were made. The full audio recording from Gazette-News reporter Bruce Willingham will be released by the newspaper at a later date.

After hundreds came out in protest, Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt (R) has called for the resignation of McCurtain County Sheriff Kevin Clardy (R), District 2 Commissioner Mark Jennings (R), Investigator Alicia Manning and Jail Administrator Larry Hendrix for their comments in the meeting. District 3 Commissioner Robert Beck (R) is also cited in the audio.

The transcript suggests that the group first started discussing a recent fire which killed a woman and her two dogs. The group joked about the woman’s body parts falling off her body, and that it is similar to eating barbecue.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I read that and now I feel sick. The governor may be calling for their resignation but they'll probably be reelected in a landslide.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

The Heritage Foundation writes your laws!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Update on Tennessee Speaker.
https://www.newsweek.com/cameron-sexton ... al-1794796
Sexton has also faced accusations of infidelity. Brian Manookian, a Nashville-based trial lawyer, said in an April 8 tweet that Sexton had a mistress and "prefers blondes." While not naming his alleged mistress, he said he knew her personally.

His claims were reinforced by Cari Wade Gervin, a local freelance reporter, who tweeted the same day that someone had once emailed her a nude picture of Sexton alleging they had an affair, "but then disappeared before I could confirm who they were/whether the photo was faked."
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Things are getting bleak(er) in Iowa.
https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/statu ... 42243?s=20
More Perfect Union @MorePerfectUS wrote: BREAKING: The Iowa Senate passed a child labor law before dawn today.

The bill lets 14-year-olds work 6-hour night shifts, 15-year-olds work on assembly lines, and 16- and 17-year-olds serve alcohol.

The Senate went through the night, and voted on child labor at 4:52 a.m.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”