Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Oh, I love Alexa just the way she is. I'd make her a little bit smarter, if'n I could. I don't fear AI tech. I'd give her a Southern accent. :biggrin:

Today I get to go to fizzikal therapy for the first time since the grand opening of my right shoulder. I've been testing out alternative stories for why I have to wear a sling:
  • My wife shot me. Popular with the teenage set, especially since she's right there smirking.
  • I took a bullet for my wife. It would have hit her in the head, see? But I jumped in front of her and it hit me in the shoulder. Just a flesh wound, they used to say in the Westerns (I grew up watching the Westerns).
  • It's an old football injury (true) from when I played with the Bears and Cowboys. :liar:
... now accepting additional suggestions. :smoking:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:27 am Today I get to go to fizzikal therapy for the first time since the grand opening of my right shoulder. I've been testing out alternative stories for why I have to wear a sling:
  • My wife shot me. Popular with the teenage set, especially since she's right there smirking.
  • I took a bullet for my wife. It would have hit her in the head, see? But I jumped in front of her and it hit me in the shoulder. Just a flesh wound, they used to say in the Westerns (I grew up watching the Westerns).
  • It's an old football injury (true) from when I played with the Bears and Cowboys. :liar:
... now accepting additional suggestions. :smoking:
Consult Katira Santos. She has great alternative narratives.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

The song I fought the Law and the Law won comes to mind.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

Better yet, in Foggy's case his JD stands for John Dillinger.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My wife saved me when I fell out of a tourist helicopter trying to get a photo. She grabbed this arm and held on until the helicopter landed. :biggrin:

See, no guns!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

I like that one. :thumbsup:

And in the "no guns" category, let's not forget:

SNAKE BITE!!

I was walking along the North Raleigh Greenway, and a giant snek jumped out from a tree!

By mutual agreement, we are not using the ice circulation machine going forward. :biggrin:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
SuzieC
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by SuzieC »

Enjoy your PT!! I found it highly effective after broken bones and hip replacements.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Just about out the door, heading to the fizzikal therapist.

This is the group I've worked with since November. I like them and I seriously trust them. I have a great relationship with my therapy team.

But I don't think they have a ton of experience with reverse shoulder replacement surgery, so it will be good for them, too also. It shouldn't be difficult or any kind of problem, it's the same as regular shoulder replacement except you do everything backwards. I mean, duh. :doh:

They know me and they know I give full and accurate reports on exactly what is going on with my body, and I do the exercises they give me. I know them and I know they will try different things until they get results.

Visible Vizzibull, tangible tan gerbil results, the kind you can take to the bank and let them see your results, if you have some stupid reason for doing that.

We're like peas and carrots, me'n my fizzikal therapy team. :oldman:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

So ... so, umm, interesting. :think:

I got some exercises, and ... I better back up a little.

I have had physical therapy for sciatica. They gave me a thick pamphlet of exercises, but it was stupid on a couple levels. That was not my current therapist. The pamphlet they gave me at the hospital last week was stupid on the same two levels.

1) The descriptions and drawings of the exercises are difficult to understand. One drawing - I am not making this up - looks like I'm supposed to sit in a chair on a pier somewhere and see if I can knock the top of a piling off with just my elbow. I can drive down to the docks in Wilmington, and ... oh, wait, no, I can't drive. Gonna have to put that one off.

2) There are too many exercises to do in the typical "protocol," and most of them are no damn good. When I got sciatica, the list was like 25 different exercises, but my physical therapist niece said most of them were useless, so she gave me a few I really needed to do. Same thing now - my protocol that they gave me at the hospital says: "scapular retraction ... serratus anterior punches in supine ..." a lot (a LOT) of crap like that.

So, I could spend 3 hours doing goog and figure out all the stuff they're trying to tell me to do, or I could just do what my therapist says. He says his worst four letter word is protocol, and he gave me four (count 'em, four) exercises to do, exactly none of which are on the formal protocol.

BUT, he went through the pamphlet they gave me and wrote down the GOALS they set for whether I'm making progress in therapy.

You see where he's going with that - he's going to do something completely different and unrecognizable from the stupid protocol exercises, and he's going to meet or exceed every benchmark on the list of goals, doing it his way. And he knows he's going to beat the goals, because that's my job and I have a history and he's seen me work.

I know this guy now. 8-)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

It came ...

dance_risk.jpg
Tiredretiredlawyer

Poor Ol' Rooster

:notworthy:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Luke »

Sounds like it's time for more VIDEOS -- Workout Edition!!

This is actually one of my favorites, I never knew about this song. Robert Preston is awesome.
Wikipedia: "Chicken Fat" was the theme song for President John F. Kennedy's youth fitness program, and millions of 7-inch 33 RPM discs which were pressed for free by Capitol Records were heard in elementary, junior high school and high school gymnasiums across the United States throughout the 1960s and 1970s. Willson contacted Fitness Council administrator Dick Snider with an offer to write a song to be used to promote exercise for children. Willson's offer was accepted and he consulted with Physical Fitness Council director Ted Forbes to ensure that the song would be effective. The bouncy chorus ended with the words "Go, you chicken fat, go!"

The song was originally recorded on a Warner Bros. Pictures soundstage in early 1962 at the same time as the recordings for the film soundtrack of the Warner Bros. film The Music Man, starring Robert Preston. Recorded on the same three-track 35mm magnetic film as the soundtrack recordings, it features Preston's vocal isolated on one track, with the Bernie Green Orchestra isolated on the second track and a chorus of boys and girls isolated on the third track. However, the location of the original multi-track tapes is unknown. As a result, with only the full-track quarter-inch 15 IPS monophonic composite master being available from which Capitol mastered their records in 1962, no stereophonic version of the song is currently possible and it remains in monophonic sound on the CD re-issue.
Try it, it's fun! "Give that chicken fat back to the chicken and don't be chicken again!" :lol:

Go, You Chicken Fat, Go!
786,967 views Oct 26, 2012
The University of Evansville cheer squad and UE president Dr. Thomas A. Kazee participate in Evansville Mayor Lloyd Winneke's initiative to have Evansville stay fit!

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Phoenix520
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’ve never heard that either. I’m surprised cuz Music Man was on permanent rotation with Camelot and My Fair Lady on our phonograph.

Love Preston’s voice.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by poplove »

OMG! Chicken Fat brings back memories of my 7th grade PE class! Sun Valley Jr High 1965-66. Thanks, Orly!
qbawl

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by qbawl »

Preston does have a marvelous and unique voice that is instantly recognizable. On a memorable trip to NYC in the mid '50s I saw 'Music Man', and 'Westside Story' on Broadway, and an All-Star game at Yankee Stadium.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Poor Ol' Rooster

My favorite of Preston's.

Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, just what the doctor ordered for my thread, a song about all the ways I could croak.

:dance: :lol:

And let's not forget how this thread started. I didn't hear "spitting cobra" in the song.

Ah well, moving along, next we have:

Fizzikal Therapy Report No. 2

I went to therapy again.

My 'homework' is strictly left arm raises.

Surgery was on my right arm. :?

Oh yeah, and hamstring stretches.

It's a little counter-intuitive.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Shizzle Popped »

My physical therapists and masseuses over the years would tell you that it's all interconnected.

When I blew out a disc on the right side in my lower back I was told it was at least partly because I'd spent 30 years favoring the left side because of long-standing issues there. A very large part of fixing the right side involved trying to rectify the issues on the left side.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
pipistrelle

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by pipistrelle »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:12 pm My physical therapists and masseuses over the years would tell you that it's all interconnected.

When I blew out a disc on the right side in my lower back I was told it was at least partly because I'd spent 30 years favoring the left side because of long-standing issues there. A very large part of fixing the right side involved trying to rectify the issues on the left side.
Yep, I have issues more on one side than the other, and I have to work both. And I thought this therapy philosophy involved the idea of working other limbs because it's all connected.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, well they gave me 24 pages of post-op instructions, and part of that is the exercises they think you should do after shoulder replacement surgery. And my therapist has me doing exactly zero of those exercises, and a raft of other things he wants me to do.

But we'll get there ... :thumbsup:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Phoenix520 »

Off Topic
Hadn’t seen that Preston clip, Orly. Thanks. What a treasure he was. His timing is just impeccable.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:50 pm My favorite of Preston's.

https:// m.youtube.com/watch?v=s9eVFBnnbGE
Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree.

THIS is your favorite from Preston:

Has everybody heard about the bird?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:19 pm
Off Topic
Hadn’t seen that Preston clip, Orly. Thanks. What a treasure he was. His timing is just impeccable.
I'm thinking the only thing I've ever seen Preston in was "The Last Starfighter." It was a great movie, even if he did play a gunghho iguana 🦎 :rotflmao:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Last night ol' Wifehorn used a word I never thought I'd hear in connection with major surgery. She said my incision is "pretty".

I can't see it. I am less than six inches away, and my neck only contorts to a limited degree. She only saw it when she and Numbah One Son collaborated on changing the bandage. But she was impressed by the beauty of the incision, and she said the doctor did incredibly professional looking stitches, which, sadly (nothing sad at all, are you nuts?) the stitches come out today in Knightdale.

After lunch.

After a certain gentleman idiot criminal gets indicted.

Gonna be a good day. 8-)
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess you need to visit a mirror maze near you, after hours private access so as not to shock other patrons when coming accross a (semi-)nekkid wanderer of space ... ;)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”