Still alive!

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Still alive!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

That's ... Um... Who decided someone other than you or your son should decide if you need a nursing home? I hope you can find whoever told him that! I'm glad to hear you're doing well!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Still alive!

Post by bill_g »

From personal experience in the matter, scope out assisted living places to see if one in your area is a good fit for your personality and pocketbook (just in case). Where I placed Mrs_G in January to recover from her ostomy was chosen in a hurry, and not somewhere I would send her again.

OTOH it was a great place for me to learn how to care for her at home because the young staff were so ill prepared. I'll give it top marks as a training ground.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Still alive!

Post by Slim Cognito »

Goodness! That's a wrench you didn't need thrown in right now. Hope all works out and keep us posted.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Lani

Still alive!

Post by Lani »

I still don't know who that doctor was that told my son to move in with me. But we went to my main doctor, who said yes, son can go home & to work. Thank goodness! I'm enjoying my new home and am finally emptying a lot of boxes!

Son is coming by in the morning to pick up Mocha. While I was in the hospital, he took Mocha to the senate office he works in. Everyone loved Mocha and argued about whose turn it was to take him for a walk. So Mocha is heading back to the office....
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
June bug

Still alive!

Post by June bug »

So glad you’re home, Lani. :bighug:

And Mocha going to your son’s office sounds like a win-win for both of you, especially while you’re working through your boxes! :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Still alive!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Mocha is on tour!!!! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Still alive!

Post by Foggy »

I said that the day Lani found Mocha found Lani was a good day for both of them.

Sometimes there's simply no substitute for a good dog. :lovestruck:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Lani

Still alive!

Post by Lani »

Finally, my home is getting completed. Replaced the washer, added a dryer. The kitchen is almost over. (It was a 1960's kitchen.) Plumbing & electricity problems....Tomorrow should be the last day. The full cost of my modernized condo is still less that $375k, which is amazing in Honolulu. Someone just bought one of the condos for about $480k, so I made a good choice. :thumbsup: I also have a small yard for me & Mocha, too, and I'm starting to work on a garden.

I did this despite hospital visits and health crisis. :dance:

My sick leave ends next Monday. I'm not used to working for so long that I can't imagine working again. I'm hoping I can make it to 12/31/23 before retiring.

I need to find other things to do when I retire. :confuzzled: I did get a call from a civil rights organization because it heard that I was Honolulu.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Still alive!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Sounds like things are going well - glad to hear it! Did you ever find out who was saying your son had to move in with you? That was just so weird. That's cool that a Civil Rights organization would reach out to you - sounds like you've got a good reputation there :) :bighug:
June bug

Still alive!

Post by June bug »

:thumbsup: Way to go, Lani - good for you!!! :thumbsup:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Still alive!

Post by bill_g »

Congrats on your new crib Lani. I'm not retiring well either. I am used to having five/two weekly schedule, and I don't know what to do with the five yet.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Still alive!

Next meet up is at Lani's and Mocha's house! Woo-hoo! :dance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Still alive!

Post by AndyinPA »

Things seem to be moving along, Lani. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Still alive!

Post by Phoenix520 »

:bighug:
Mocha, keep her safe, okay hun?
Lani

Still alive!

Post by Lani »

And once again, the remodeling stalls. I had a stomach flu and stayed in my bedroom while the guys worked. Now most of the workers are sick. Didn't finish up today, don't know when it will be done. All that's needed is installing my kitchen appliances and get the dryer out of my living room and to the washer.

It's going to be weird to go back to work, but fortunately from my home. I don't want to work any more :crying:
Lani

Still alive!

Post by Lani »

The guys are returning tomorrow to hook up my kitchen. :dance:

I'm back to work on Monday. Kinda of. Lots of calls from my hospital and appointments for several weeks. Then aorta surgery. It wasn't the surgery I was expecting. :o I can go home in a day or two, but I don't think that's safe, given my mobility problems. I'll probably get a lightweight wheelchair just to be safe. Also, I need to have someone check on me.

I'm trying to keep my son out of this. He worries a lot about me, of course. Our family is just us. He has his dad, 2 sisters and a gazillion number of nieces & nephews in Australia, but they haven't seen each other since covid. I told him that I'll pay for him to visit with them. I hope he goes.

I urged him to move to Oz because that's where his family is. I'm his only family in the US, but he loves Hawaii. I understand that.

Sorry for the rant.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Still alive!

Post by Foggy »

Lani, your life is so exciting. Up, down, left, right, always spinning, always in motion in several different directions. I try to keep up, but it rained on my scorecard! :lol:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Lani

Still alive!

Post by Lani »

Yeah. I wanted to finally fix up my home before I'm back at work, but it will take some time. Need a royal blue loveseat & chair and a small dining table. (small condo) Selling my larger furniture that doesn't fit here, and taking my clothes that don't fit to a thrift store. Working on a garden. Looking forward to finally settling at home.

And next, hoping to retire in December. :pray:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Still alive!

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Still alive!

Post by Lani »

I'm in a bad mood. I don't want to go back to work tomorrow. :mad: Still trying to work through December, but I dunno know.... Also, back pain makes everything difficult. I can walk, but only for a short walk. (previously broken vertebra) I'm considering getting a lightweight wheelchair. Might help a lot.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Still alive!

Methinks you are burned out, Lani. Your body and brain need to retire now, thus they are creating obstacles to your return. :bighug:
Lani

Still alive!

Post by Lani »

:o That's very helpful. Makes sense to me!

I planned on December, and today added up my various retirement $. SSA, County retirement (not much - only 13 years or so), IRA, and another retirement program. It's livable! But I'm aware that I will likely not make it to December. I'll see what my situation will be after the aorta surgery.

I need to get more info on medical costs. I have Medicare, but my Kaiser insurance is used b/c I pay almost nothing. Like $10 for a week in the hospital. I need to learn about the Medicare programs to see what's useful & how much it costs. I can call Kaiser about it. That might help me decide when to retire.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Still alive!

Lani

Still alive!

Post by Lani »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:17 am :bighug:
Thanks. I'm no longer thinking I need to hang in through the rest of the year. I'll just see what happens.

I'm settling in to my small new little home. (slowly) I know an a good guy who is the owner of a quality consignment store with antique furniture, art, jade, jewelry, etc. I have a large, signed Joan Miro that doesn't fit in my current home. And I have a large collection of antique cloisonne and jade. Mostly I found the pieces in yard sales for decades. I love some of it, but don't need that much. He's going to visit to help me decide how to reduce all my stuff. I'll add the sales to my savings account.

Meanwhile, I'm now at work again. :roll: I'm not interested in it, but I'll put up with it until after I have the surgery. That's less than 3 weeks from now. When I'm home again, I'll call the employment retirement office to get info abt my retirement.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Still alive!

💕💖🌈

Return to “Introduce Yourself”