Blood

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Blood

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-liv ... ealth.html
What Your Blood Type Says About Your Health
Knowing your type could give clues to your risk of stroke and heart attack

Do you know your blood type? There’s a good chance that you don’t. More Americans know their horoscope sign (66 percent) than their blood type (51 percent), according to a survey published this year by medical laboratory company Quest Diagnostics.

There are compelling health reasons why you should know, especially when it comes to your heart. Research suggests that people with certain blood types — namely A and B — are at higher risk to develop blood clots and to have heart attacks and strokes.

“We think about blood type a lot when we think about transfusions,” says Robert Salazar, M.D., a cardiologist at Memorial Hermann Health System in Houston. There may be some benefits to know about it for heart health, he adds. “Increasingly, there is a push towards the individualization of medicine and medical advice,” he explains. Adding information about blood type, he says, may help inform doctors on how to best treat patients.
Types of blood
Blood Type and Your Health
What the research shows:

Types A and B

Higher risk of blood clots, heart attacks and strokes.

Type AB

Higher risk of stroke and inflammation. Those with AB+ blood can accept blood from all donors and are called universal recipients.

Type O

Slightly lower risk of thrombosis, blood clots, heart attacks and strokes. People with type O- blood are universal donors and can donate to anyone.

Note that a healthy lifestyle likely trumps blood type in terms of increasing or decreasing risks.
Blood types are determined by the presence or absence of certain substances, called antigens, that can trigger an immune response if they are foreign to the body.

There are four main blood types: A, B, O and AB, according to the American Red Cross. In addition to these antigens, there’s a protein called the Rh factor, which can either be present (+) or absent (-). That means there are eight blood subtypes: A+, A-, B+, B-, O+, O-, AB+, AB-.

Types A and B and blood clots
People with blood types A and B are at higher risk to develop blood clots compared with people who have type O blood, according to a 2020 study published in the American Heart Association journal Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. The study, which looked at more than 400,000 people, found that types A and B were 50 percent more likely to develop blood clots in the legs called deep vein thrombosis and 47 percent more likely to develop a pulmonary embolism — when a clot travels to the lungs — than people with type O blood. They were 8 percent more likely to have a heart attack and 10 percent more likely to experience heart failure than type Os.
Moar about the other blood types in the article.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Blood

Post by AndyinPA »

Interesting. Type A here.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Blood

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:38 am Interesting. Type A here.
Ditto.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Blood

Post by Frater I*I »

O +
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Phoenix520
Verified:

Blood

Post by Phoenix520 »

A+ me.
O+ Mr.
Sam the Centipede

Blood

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:23 am https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-liv ... ealth.html
:snippity:
Moar about the other blood types in the article.
Mm. There are many other minor blood typings, involving different groups of antigens. About 20 I think, perhaps a few more. Our hospital's blood bank issues blood generally on ABO and Rh typing but they take other typings into account for certain patients, typically those who have had many blood transfusions so could have become sensitized to certain antigens.

Those minor toes probably also correlate to other health measures.

All blood is tracked with unique bar codes so any adverse effects – either to an individual or a suspected pattern amongst several or many recipients – can be tracked all the way back to donors, including identification of exactly who handled the blood and where and when it was stored and transported. These records are retained for at least 30 years in case any long term effects show up – a lesson learnt the hard way from mad cow disease, HIV, factor 8, etc.

Curious fact: while units of red blood cells are stored at fridge temperature, platelets (the mini-cells active in blood clotting) are best stored at room temperature. Seems counterintuitive to me, but the experts presumably know best!
Suranis

Blood

Post by Suranis »

Blood?

carroll-borland-photo_60900_26522.jpg
carroll-borland-photo_60900_26522.jpg (76.24 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
Hic sunt dracones
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Blood

Post by jez »

There was a study a few years ago (early 2000s? read about it in a college class) that showed Mosquitos seems to prefer dining on typo O blood more than any other. I think type B was next on the menu.
A second study from a couple of years ago that I stumbled across said basically the same thing, but was retracted not long after because some of the data overlapped and skewed the results.

B+ here for the record.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
AndyinPA
Verified:

Blood

Post by AndyinPA »

My dad was a Type O, and mosquitos loved him! He was also a frequent blood donor.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Blood

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:57 pm My dad was a Type O, and mosquitos loved him! He was also a frequent blood donor.
A shot of pickle juice a day keeps them from me :batting:

[Narrator: And our intrepid hero thought this thread was going to be about his favourite 90s first person shooter game...]
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer

Blood

It can be, Frater.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Walt Tuttle
Verified:

Blood

Post by Walt Tuttle »

Off Topic
When my wife was prepping for her hip replacement surgery, the phlebotomist came in to draw and type my wife's blood. The phlebotomist had an accent that, I swear, made her sound like she was a certain movie character from Transylvania.

"I vant to take your blood!"

My wife and I could not make eye contact with each other for fear of bursting out with laughter.
Mrich

Blood

Post by Mrich »

Wikipedia has an article about the distribution of various blood types around the world:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_typ ... by_country

They also have a section for ethnic groups.

(I'm O neg and the mosquitoes love me too. The blood bank people love me too; we O neg types get extra stuff like mugs and jackets if we give often enough.)
MN-Skeptic

Blood

Post by MN-Skeptic »

There were articles speculating on how blood type might affect how severe you get Covid back when the pandemic began. I talked to my siblings and got all of our blood types at that time -

Dad - A+
Mom - AB+

Child 1 - AB+
Child 2 - AB+
Child 3 - B+
Child 4 - AB+ <<-- Me
Child 5 - B+
Child 6 - A+
Child 7 - A+
Phoenix520
Verified:

Blood

Post by Phoenix520 »

Mr was a blood plasma donor at City of Hope for about a year. I don’t remember why he stopped. They loved him. He got good swag, too -theater tickets, restaurant vouchers, the good stuff.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Blood

Bravo, Mr. 520! Hubby and one of my older brothers almost competed when giving blood at the Red Cross. Lots of swag was given.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Blood

Post by northland10 »

I'm assuming that vampires need to be AB+. If not, they would need to test the blood of their victims before having a meal.
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Blood

Post by Phoenix520 »

:lol:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Blood

Post by RTH10260 »

Speaking of meal ;)

The blood sausage (with liver sausage to the left - a strategic combo)

AndyinPA
Verified:

Blood

Post by AndyinPA »

Yum!
MsDaisy
Verified:

Blood

Post by MsDaisy »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:19 pm Speaking of meal ;)

The blood sausage (with liver sausage to the left - a strategic combo)
:sick: Bill Gates couldn't pay me to eat that! But the one on the left looks a lot like the English Bangers I had for breakfast this morning in Islington North London. :drool:

We're here visiting my dear sister-in-law who has unfortunately been diagnosed with uterine cancer that had already spread when they found it. Hopefully she'll be okay at least for a while. She any my mister are and have always been very close and for either of them to lose the other is going to be devastating. :brokenheart: Beaming some positive energy to Angie in London could be helpful, we just have to wait and see. :pray:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Blood

Post by AndyinPA »

Sorry about your news. :bighug:

Return to “Science”