What are you watching?

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Has anyone watched "The Last Kingdom"? How is it? Is it any good?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:18 pm Has anyone watched "The Last Kingdom"? How is it? Is it any good?
Looked it up. It has very good ratings, but in my elder years I'm not one much for watching a series (long winded and moves too damn slow). (it is 5 seasons/years). It also includes the tag of "romance", which I don't find interesting. But it is apparently on Netflix so if you have that give it a look-see.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

We LOVED The Last Kingdom, it's based on Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Stories series of novels. I have friends in the cast. It's in sort of the groove with VIKINGS, it's the Danes and the English battling it out. Alexander Dreymon is awesome in it ("I am Uhtred, son of Uhtred" has become a cult line, it opens each show), I know Alex so I'm biased but he got really fantastic reviews. The show is done so you'll get the complete story. There are some great character actors in it. It's worth checking out to see if you like the story.

95% liked this TV show
Google users
As a child, Uhtred witnessed his father being killed and his Saxon army defeated by invading troops aboard Danish ships. That day, Danish warlord Earl Ragnar captured him and raised him in a Danish camp alongside fellow captive Brida, a sharp-tongued girl. Years later, Uhtred is a valiant warrior who is dealt another tragic bow when his home is deliberately set on fire, killing his surrogate family, including his fatherlike figure Ragnar. Now exiled -- alone except for Brida by his side -- he vows to avenge Ragnar's death and reclaim his homeland. But he must choose between his birth country and the people who raised him, walking a dangerous path between the two sides if is he going to help birth a new nation and ultimately recapture his ancestral land.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Cool - thank you both NeonZX and Orlylicious!

As you might guess, I LOVED Vikings and am thoroughly enjoying Vikings Valhalla, so this one looked interesting to me. I'll definitely check it out :)
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

You will totally enjoy it then!

As a bonus, while the series ended, the sequel movie to The Last Kingdom set its premiere date on Netflix. The movie, titled Seven Kings Must Die, is set to debut on Netflix on April 14. Yay!

This interview is from 2015 right after the series started. It doesn't really have spoilers because it was only up to episode 5 or so (and it's based on the books so the plot is discoverable). This is with Alex, David (King Alfred), and Rune (Ubba Ragnarsson, who is also a character in VIKINGS). This is more of the history of the story and some of how it was made.
The Last Kingdom: Cast Talks Historical Drama & Vikings vs Saxons
483,172 views Nov 30, 2015 #thelastkingdom #saxony #vikings
Join the stars of "The Last Kingdom," Alexander Dreymon, Rune Temte, and David Dawson, as they team up for an exciting and action-packed interview. The trio dives into the world of this must-watch historical drama series, which follows the story of a Saxon nobleman's son raised by Vikings during the conflict between the invading Danes and the early kingdoms of England.

In this interview, Alexander, Rune, and David discuss their thoughts and experiences on the hit series, providing a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the show. Fans of medieval warfare and historical drama won't want to miss this insightful conversation with three of the show's leading actors. Based on Bernard Cornwell's popular series of novels, "The Last Kingdom" offers an epic backdrop for its compelling storylines and intense battles. And for those who can't get enough of the series, there's even more to look forward to with the upcoming feature-length sequel, "Seven Kings Must Die." Don't miss out on this exciting interview with the stars of "The Last Kingdom" as they share their insights and perspectives on one of the most popular historical dramas of recent years.

Funny story about VIKINGS... back in 2000 in NYC, a GORGEOUS blond boy kept showing up at castings, agencies, clubs and parties. One thing that set him apart was he was mostly barefoot (in NYC!). I got to know him, my friends ran Wilhelmina and knew a lot of the other modeling agencies. In 2002, when he was 21, he landed with Calvin Klein. Well, that hot boy was... Travis Fimmel, Ragnar in VIKINGS! Here's Travis with one of his billboards.

Hat/tip photo courtesy credit: Neon :lol:

Travis.jpg
Travis.jpg (87.53 KiB) Viewed 602 times

Fimmel.jpg
Fimmel.jpg (90.18 KiB) Viewed 602 times

Nobody, but nobody, thought of Travis as an actor. I lost contact with him when he moved to LA (heard he was barefoot there a lot too also). Then when the VIKINGS preview trailer popped online, we looked and I was like waittttt I know this guy! Yup, Travis. And he was so incredibly great in that show. So proud of him.

And Outer Banks update: it's been so popular they already renewed Season 4! Great cast of young actors, and lots of action... it really works. Good for them.

Outer Banks Season 4: Everything We Know
The series creators are hyping up the Pogues' next beachside adventure.
By Bria McNeal PUBLISHED: FEB 23, 2023

It’s official, people. Outer Banks has already een renewed for a fourth season. The latest batch of episodes premiered today—and Outer Banks has already landed a spot on the steamer's Top 10 list. If that’s any indication of what’s to come, I think we can expect to see Chase Stokes, Madison Cline, and the rest of the OBX crew get into more trouble. (If that’s even possible.) The details of Season Four are still largely under wraps, but the cast seems hyped about what’s to come. On Saturday, February 18, they appeared at Pogelandia, an Outer Banks experience sponsored by Netflix. The event was hosted at Huntington Beach, California, featuring guest appearances from the cast along with musical performances, games, and more ridiculous Outer Banks-themed festivities. At one point, the cast hopped on stage, and surprised fans with the good news. Later, the series's Instagram account posted two pictures from the event and wrote, “We raged. We saw. We conquered!! OBX Season 4!!! Lets Gooooo!”

Season Three of Outer Banks premiered on February 24. While fans are surely devouring the new episodes, series creators Jonas Pate, Josh Pate, and Shannon Burke are already thinking about what’s next. In a press release, they hinted that our favorite adventurers are in for a whirlwind. “The Pogues are enjoying an adventure of a lifetime,” they wrote. “And now we get to map out more twists and turns as the joyride continues into Season Four of Outer Banks. Thank you to Netflix, our cast, and the amazing fans who helped make this happen.” Unfortunately, we’ll have to wait to see what they’ve cooked up. Until then, here’s everything you need to know about Season Four of Outer Banks.

When Will Season Four Hit Netflix? I hate to say it, but Netflix has not confirmed when Season Four will premiere. However, there was around a year and a half break between Season Two and Season Three. If all goes well, we should be reunited with the OBX crew sometime next year.

Foggy on the OBX! :dance:
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Phoenix520
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Phoenix520 »

Kris, we also enjoyed Last Kingdom. I didn’t sit down to watch the whole series but hubs did and I was in and out and around through most of it.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

orlylicious wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:58 am You will totally enjoy it then!
Thanks for posting that interview - and very cool about Travis Fimmel. He's definitely easy on the eyes :)

Kate - thanks for your comments, too!

It sounds like this is going to be fun :mrgreen:
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:58 am
Hat/tip photo courtesy credit: Neon :lol:
Um, no. Again, neon is not responsible for a photo credit here. And there was not even a Hot Korean Hunk in the pic. I have standards. :batting:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

How come ST Picard is on BOTH Prime and Paramount at the same time?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

keith wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:06 am How come ST Picard is on BOTH Prime and Paramount at the same time?
It is on Prime if you purchase the add-on Paramount+ subscription.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

qbawl wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:54 pm I just finished the third season of "All Creatures Great and Small." At first I preferred the original shows but I have come to see the current version as superior in cast, storylines, acting, and even scenery. So just about every aspect meets or exceeds the original imho while staying true to the book. Needs a fourth season!
That's one of Mrs favorite shows. She has commented how the show has evolved as each season brings changes to staff, and even to office locations.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

What are you watching?

Post by Foggy »

orlylicious wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:58 am Foggy on the OBX! :dance:
After reading about this show, I did mention it to ol' Wifehorn. She and Numbah One Son absolutely loved the Santa Maria Clarita Diaries or whatever it was, that I recommended based on the comments here. But it's hard to predict what she will like and what she won't.

Anyway, I mentioned Outer Banks and she said, "Isn't that the show about a bunch of kids or something?"

"Yeah, but also the contrast between the middle class idiots who rent the entire Outer Banks every summer, like us :oopsy: and those in a lower economic bracket who live there year 'round and have to put up with the idiots all summer. And it's a murder mystery and a treasure hunt, I think."

I tried. Honest, I did try.

But I don't think she's even going to give it a chance. She's picky. :P
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Volkonski
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Volkonski »

but also the contrast between the middle class idiots who rent the entire Outer Banks every summer, like us :oopsy: and those in a lower economic bracket who live there year 'round and have to put up with the idiots all summer
Gee, sounds a bit like the North Fork of Long Island. Except that on the North Fork it is upper upper middle class idiots and those in a merely upper middle class bracket. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Oh, so I am midway through watching Hercules the movie on Prime. It's from 2014 starring Dwayne Johnson. I didn't even know it was him for the first 20 minutes because of hair and makeup. And I have seen him in many films -- he transitioned well from WWE to big screen well. He knows how to act and is versatile in his performance. Good job, young man. (yeah, WWE is acting as well, so was probably an easy move)
Volkonski
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Volkonski »

Finished the first 25 series of "Silent Witness" last night on Brit Box. A quarter century of murder, mayhem and forensic pathology. :lol:

It is a wonder that there is still anyone alive in the UK. ;)

The 26th series is now in production.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Oh well, I did it. re-signed for HBO Max on Prime to catch up on The Last of Us episodes they are dripping out. I kinda like how they (writers/producers/directors) are doing this. Each episode seems self-contained but still wrapped in the primary story line. There is a young girl is a key to all of it in the end, we can assume. In Ep. 4-- ONWARD! (buh bye $15.99 plus taxes/fees)
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:37 am Finished the first 25 series of "Silent Witness" last night on Brit Box. A quarter century of murder, mayhem and forensic pathology. :lol:

It is a wonder that there is still anyone alive in the UK. ;)

The 26th series is now in production.
I used to wonder about that with Murder, She Wrote. Why on earth would anyone want to be friends with Angela Lansbury?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

After V's mention of Silent Witness, I watched the first episode. Damn! Intense! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Drilled through The Murdaugh Murders on Netflix last night. What a bunch of entitled assholes. In one respect I regret participating in the Court of Public Opinion that is occurring as Alex's trial proceeds. However, I doubt anything on Netflix is going to effect the outcome of any of the numerous prosecutions that are going to happen.
Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Passed on the whole Murdaugh Murders story and TV parade. Did I miss anything?

Neon came through with another recommendation, he sent it to me by fax. :lol: As always, Neon is on the pulse of the zeitgeist and nails the weltanschauung. SNL did a skit on it last night.

It's the new "Too Hot to Handle: Germany" series on Netflix. The plot is a bit complex:

Feb 14, 2023 — Ten gorgeous singles meet in a tropical paradise. Little do they know that to win the €200,000 prize, they'll have to give up sex completely.

There's a US version that's also on Netflix, 4 seasons so far and another season is coming. Neon reminded me that Chloe Veitch*, who was on Too Hot to Handle US Season 1, was also a cast member on The Circle Season 2.

Die-Teilnehmer-Von-Too-Hot-To-Handle-Germany-w-970.jpg.jpg
Die-Teilnehmer-Von-Too-Hot-To-Handle-Germany-w-970.jpg.jpg (74.94 KiB) Viewed 407 times

His only miss on this one (and I blame the producers) is where the hell was a hot blond tall guy? What's happened to Germany? This can not stand!

*Chloe Veitch is an English model and media personality, beauty queen of Miss Supertalent 2018. She is best known for her appearances in Too Hot To Handle, The Circle and Perfect Match. Born: 1999 (age 23 years), Essex, United Kingdom

There's also a new gameshow on Netflix called Cheat. "Netflix fans are obsessed with new Danny Dyer and Ellie Taylor-fronted game show, Cheat. The gameshow follows contestants who compete for a cash prize of up to £50,000. The competition sees four people taking it in turns to answer general knowledge questions, with each answer adding £1,000 to their prize fund. But there's a twist. Each contestant is also given the option to cheat, and have the computer secretly reveal the correct answer to them, but they must use their poker face to try and convince their fellow contestants that they haven't cheated." The first four episodes are on Netflix and the first episode is hilarious (can't say why because it would be a spoiler).

By the way, Foggy, outstanding effort with Wifehorn on the OBX! Since the show is renewed for another season, we have lots of time to work on her. And let her know -- the Season 2 cast on Too Hot To Handle is even hotter than Season 1. As Peter from Season 2 said about his TikTok video success, "I think people just love seeing a dude with abs hop on a pole and spin, I guess."
SuzieC
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by SuzieC »

Netflix's Next in Fashion. It's kind of a cheap knockoff of Project Runway but the only fashion show currently showing, AFAIK. Episode 3, the thrift shop challenge, was loads of fun.

And of course tomorrow night premieres 96-year-old Mel Brooks' History of the World Part II, on Hulu. Everyone must watch in homage to a magnificent American treasure.
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

"The Menu" (2022). It's on HBO and I normally only recommend titles off the standard streaming platforms...

It is a semi-comedic horror film. These guests go to an exclusive private island to be served a diner. It not very gory, but the crazy chef expects his underlings to shout "YES CHEF!!". So maniacal as I believe Gordon must be in person.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:01 pm "The Menu" (2022). It's on HBO and I normally only recommend titles off the standard streaming platforms...

It is a semi-comedic horror film. These guests go to an exclusive private island to be served a diner. It not very gory, but the crazy chef expects his underlings to shout "YES CHEF!!". So maniacal as I believe Gordon must be in person.
I loved it. Just watched it for the second time. I loved the ending.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

I watched Gone with the Wind on TCM yesterday. It has not aged well.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:01 pm "The Menu" (2022). It's on HBO and I normally only recommend titles off the standard streaming platforms...

I really enjoyed that one!

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”