Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Ron DeSantis

These people suck. They are bad people.
Kendra

Ron DeSantis

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... e76af51306
“Shameful”: Ron DeSantis boycotting NBC News after tantrum over interview question
Phoenix520
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Phoenix520 »

That link took me to a blank screen.

Holy cow, though, is DeSantis ill? LOOK at his tongue!

Hmmm. Why did he start wearing bronzer like tfg?
W. Kevin Vicklund

Ron DeSantis

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:46 pm That link took me to a blank screen.

Holy cow, though, is DeSantis ill? LOOK at his tongue!

Hmmm. Why did he start wearing bronzer like tfg?
I think that's just a shadow. Or maybe he got a little over-exuberant in applying the bronzer :P
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Ron DeSantis

Post by RTH10260 »

Backed by DeSantis, lawmakers look to gut press freedom. It might not stop in Florida

Jay Weaver, Ana Ceballos
Fri, February 24, 2023 at 8:21 PM GMT+1

Gov. Ron DeSantis has targeted one political enemy after another, from removing a top state prosecutor in Tampa who disagreed with him on abortion rights to promoting an “anti-woke” agenda that limits teaching about racism in public schools and diversity hiring programs at universities. He even went after business behemoth Disney when its CEO opposed an educational bill, dubbed by critics as the “Don’t Say Gay” law.

Now, Florida lawmakers — with the support of the governor — are taking aim at the media, pushing legislation that would dramatically weaken legal standards in place for more than a half century that protect the freedom of the press to report on politicians and other powerful public figures.

The bill would make it easier to sue media outlets for allegations of defamation and make it harder for journalists to do their jobs by undermining the use of unnamed sources, an important reporting tool — particularly for media trying to pull back the curtain on the dealings of elected officials. Many First Amendment advocates and legal experts say it is clearly intended to muzzle reporters who serve as watchdogs for the public.

“I see this as a deliberate effort to punish media organizations that have been critical of the governor and the Republican Legislature,” Thomas Julin, a First Amendment attorney with the Gunster law firm in Miami, said in an interview. “It’s doing that by stripping away protections that were seen as essential for those organizations to remain strong.

“It’s encouraging more people to file more damage claims and punitive damage claims against media organizations,” Julin told the Herald. “They’re trying to put them out of business. ... What’s disturbing is that it’s meant to help DeSantis get elected as president — not because it’s good policy.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/backed-desan ... 13343.html
(original: Miami Herald)
RTH10260

Ron DeSantis

Post by RTH10260 »

:lol:
Ron DeSantis admits getting married to Casey DeSantis at Disney World ended up being 'kind of ironic'

Kimberly Leonard
Sun, February 26, 2023 at 12:01 AM GMT+1
Ron and Casey DeSantis got married at Walt Disney World in 2009, Insider first reported.
The couple opened up about their nuptials for the first time in a Sirius XM Patriot radio interview.
The Florida governor admitted the choice wound up being "kind of ironic."
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis opened up publicly for the first time about how he and his wife, Casey DeSantis, ended up exchanging their vows during a fairy tale wedding at Walt Disney World Resort — only to engage in a brutal battle with the family-favorite company 13 years later.

In an interview with Florida first lady Casey DeSantis, the Republican governor confirmed Insider's November 2022 reporting about the wedding, which had never been previously reported and wasn't widely known among the Florida political class.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ron-desantis ... 25073.html
(original: INSIDER)
Kendra

Ron DeSantis

Post by Kendra »

Courage. That’s why he’s afraid of the press, afraid of debates, can’t take criticism, and is terrified of Donald Trump.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Ron DeSantis

Post by neonzx »

I am SO going to get up on that offer. An AUTOGRAPHED book. These are exciting times we are living in.
Kendra

Ron DeSantis

Post by Kendra »

:sick: There is a list on Goodreads titled You call this a hero. I have voted his book to have its place on the list.
Volkonski
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Volkonski »

Raw Story:
Florida will become the place where public higher education goes to die: education expert

MSNBC host Mehdi Hasan pointed out on Sunday that there's one thing that Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) loves to talk about, and it's "freedom" in his state. But the latest moves are working to restrict academic freedom, freedom of speech, business freedom and others.

https://www.rawstory.com/florida-education
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I'd asked this a few days ago without response, but I thought I'd give it one more try, because if my concern is valid, I'd like to write about it for my blog.

Concerning the possible defamation law change in FL, would at least one party to the suit have to live in Florida to have jurisdiction to file there, or could someone who lives in CA sue a journalist in NYC over a story that was broadcast nationwide, including in FL? For example, could the CA plaintiff sue the NY journalist in FL if the journalist's story is published nationwide (say by the AP or something similar} and is carried by FL papers? What about a story broadcast nationwide on, like, FOC or MSNBC?

Thanks!
RTH10260

Ron DeSantis

Post by RTH10260 »

My add-on question would be: has SCOTUS ever decided on the validity and reach of "long arm" state statutes?
RVInit

Ron DeSantis

Post by RVInit »

Racially diverse executive teams provided an advantage of 35% higher EBIT and 33% more long-term value creation.

Maintaining a diverse workforce is imperative for modern organizations to succeed. Companies with a diverse staff are better positioned to meet the needs of diverse customer bases, and the cash flows of diverse companies are 2.3 times higher than those of companies with more monolithic staff. Diverse companies are 70% more likely to capture new markets than organizations that do not actively recruit and support talent from under-represented groups.

Not only does long-term support for employees of all educational levels and backgrounds ensure higher productivity, it also demonstrates an organization’s trust in its talent while fostering business growth. Failing to properly invest in human resources not only causes employee retention and productivity to fall — it causes entire industries to fail at achieving long-term growth.
more at the link. DeSantis is just solidifying his culture war bona fides, but large companies have enough experience at this point with the benefits of a diverse work force, he's not likely to change that. Smaller (and larger) family owned companies in Florida already continue to practice discrimination in my experience, so his racist policies are not going to change anything in that respect.

I worked for the third largest citrus export/import in the world, a locally owned company, not a single solitary minority employee, except the fruit packers, who work part time and have to travel the country two to three times per year in order to be able to work year round.

But aside from that fruit packing company, all the other locally owned and operated companies in Florida do not practice diversity in employment already, so he's not changing anything in that respect, just scoring points with the racists. He's solid in Florida because the population of Florida has changed thanks to Rick Scott and some very nuanced and effective voter suppression tactics.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-n ... 2020-07-30
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Dr. Ken

Ron DeSantis

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Gregg

Ron DeSantis

Post by Gregg »

It's not punishing Disney anymore though. The bill does exactly two things, it changes the name of Reedy Creek and it let's the Governor appoint the trustees.

Disney still gets to control the infrastructure and will continue to pay the bonds, which are all that was really important to them. Sure, they would prefer to appoint the trustees themselves, but they know that no one is going to self destruct what is a good thing for everyone. The new law was designed to let DeSantis save face and Disney to keep everything they still wanted Reedy Creek to do.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Ron DeSantis

Post by neonzx »

Gregg wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:08 pm It's not punishing Disney anymore though. The bill does exactly two things, it changes the name of Reedy Creek and it let's the Governor appoint the trustees.

Disney still gets to control the infrastructure and will continue to pay the bonds, which are all that was really important to them. Sure, they would prefer to appoint the trustees themselves, but they know that no one is going to self destruct what is a good thing for everyone. The new law was designed to let DeSantis save face and Disney to keep everything they still wanted Reedy Creek to do.
And you are correct on all points. Disney still holds the purse strings and this was a political stunt essentially.
RTH10260

Ron DeSantis

Post by RTH10260 »

DeSantis' new memoir skips juicy details about his life that could emerge in a presidential bid. Here's what he left out.
How Ron DeSantis rose to the top of the GOPScroll back up to restore default view.

Kimberly Leonard
Tue, February 28, 2023 at 5:46 PM GMT+1
  • The book is widely viewed as laying the groundwork for a presidential run.
    But it also leaves out several aspects about DeSantis' life, relationships, and work.
    Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis rarely opens up about his personal life while traversing his home state of Florida.
In his first memoir, he's just as guarded.

At 256 pages, "The Courage to Be Free: Florida's Blueprint for America's Revival" leaves a lot of unanswered questions about the Florida governor, a man who has become one of the most famous Republicans in America and is widely expected to mount a 2024 presidential run against former President Donald Trump.

Writing a book before running for office is a rite of passage. For Floridians familiar with the governor, "The Courage to Be Free" is in line with many of the speeches DeSantis has given in the Sunshine State against "wokeness" and explaining why he believes the state has the authority to impose its will against businesses and localities.

But it also leaves out what could wind up being crucial details about DeSantis' motivations, relationships, and even his policies.

While such omissions are not necessarily atypical for a political memoir, these are the types of gaps that get filled in during a primary election — a time of intense scrutiny on presidential candidates as journalists dig into their lives and enemies create piles of opposition research.

Here are six takeaways Insider identified as missing from "The Courage to Be Free":

https://www.yahoo.com/news/desantis-mem ... 08197.html
(original: INSIDER)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Ron DeSantis

Post by AndyinPA »

Much ado about nothing. I still think there's a lot unknown about him. I've read he was at Guantánamo in some capacity while in the Navy. I love the way he talks about the ruling elite as he rules Florida. The only freedoms he's interested in are the ones he's taking away from people.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Ron DeSantis

Post by bob »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:11 am My add-on question would be: has SCOTUS ever decided on the validity and reach of "long arm" state statutes?
Many times; the most "famous" being International Shoe.
Image ImageImage
Kendra

Ron DeSantis

Post by Kendra »

Trump supporters show up outside Leesburg Mall today to troll Desantis’s book signing. Officer comes out and said he was told that anyone with a Trump sign had to leave. Desantis’s fascist tactics, meet Trump supporters!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Ron DeSantis

Post by bill_g »

Oh please - someone do something really stupid.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Ron DeSantis

Post by Frater I*I »

bill_g wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:43 pm Oh please - someone do something really stupid.
Over/under on how long it's gonna take before of of these groups take pot shots at each other... :cantlook:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Kendra

Ron DeSantis

Post by Kendra »

Gonna be entertaining to watch. :batting:
Kendra

Ron DeSantis

Post by Kendra »

Update. Security guard at Desantis book signing trying to remove Trump supporters tells them that he is also a Trump supporter, but they are acting like the far Left by harassing him.
Dave from down under

Ron DeSantis

Post by Dave from down under »

Here’s hoping that they all get arrested for trespassing

Then go to court & make a huge biggest noise about it

:popcorn:
Kendra

Ron DeSantis

Post by Kendra »

Dave from down under wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:57 pm Here’s hoping that they all get arrested for trespassing

Then go to court & make a huge biggest noise about it

:popcorn:
Moar! Moar! Moat!

Meantime, we have this:

DeSantis on Trump attacking him: "He used to say how great of a governor I was, and then I win a big victory and all of the sudden he had different opinions, and so you can take that for what it's worth."

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”