Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The Murdaugh Murders (podcast)

pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

RV,
I sometimes wonder if I’ve gotten too involved in following this case. (Yes)
I harken back to the OJ days. (Got that one wrong)
I’m glad to be able to follow along with the media we’re given privilege to.
This though, is really a weird, complicated mess to try to understand.
There’s two dead people.
And a bunch of other stuff.
Stay tuned.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

That last video of the reporter who has been in the trial was excellent. The Snapchat video caught my attention. I am glad the jury keyed into it as well. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

pjhimself wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:21 pm RV,
There’s two dead people.
Stay tuned.
At least 4 dead people, actually.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:14 pm
pjhimself wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:21 pm RV,
There’s two dead people.
Stay tuned.
At least 4 dead people, actually.
Yeah, five deaths associated with, or involving directly, that family. Stephen Smith, Mallory Beach, Mrs. Satterfield, Maggie and Paul. That is a whole lot of people involved in wrongful and/or suspicious deaths.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I think I figured out the motive for Alex to kill Maggie. It was clear that he made an excuse for her to be on the Moselle property that night, but I couldn't figure out why he would want to kill her. Turns out that the beach property was in her name. He needed to take out a second mortgage on that property and she apparently wouldn't do it. Killing her caused a temporary continuation of the inability to mortgage that property, but, once her estate was settled, that beach house would go to him, and he could take out a second mortgage on it. People were starting to ask questions about his money - the boat case, and his own law firm was starting to ask questions - so he needed to get some money together to try to cover his tracks, refund a couple of people and hope that would take the pressure off.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

This is quite short and by someone I haven't watched before, but his data matches what was testified on the stand. He has put data from several witnesses together on the timeline. Skip down to the video link if you don't want to read the rest of my post. It's really worth watching, I hope the prosecutor does as good a job at explaining this during closing. Edit: The YouTuber's subtraction on times is a little off, but it doesn't change the point. Alex tried to call Maggie one more time after already discovering the dead bodies. And he deleted that data from his own phone, but it was still on Maggie's phone.

This is the hard part for the prosecutor as there are several key pieces of evidence that require testimony from three witnesses in order to understand why that evidence is significant. This is why the legal YouTubers are all having cows abut the evidence, they are complaining that the prosecutor isn't "explaining the evidence better". Well, the prosecutor can't testify, that's why. They are stuck with evidence in this case that you really need several witnesses to explain it from different viewpoints to understand why it's significant. An example is the casings from the gun that killed Maggie. One detective collects the casings from the gun that obviously killed Maggie. A different detective finds casings of the same caliber that appear to be older right outside the door of the "gun room". He also finds the same type of casings from other parts of the property that also appear to have been shot from a gun in previous months. He collects them. Paul's friend explains that he and Paul sighted in the new red dot finder right outside the gun room, using the handrails on the steps to steady the gun for firing, which is why the casings were there. Also he explained why casings would be at other parts of the property. Then a fourth witness, ballistics expert, compared the markings on the casings found at various locations on the property and determined they were all fired from the same gun. It shows the weapon that was used to kill Maggie was very likely the AR that was purchased for Paul to replace the AR he had lost.

As to the timeline data, it also takes multiple witnesses using multiple technologies to put things together. This YouTuber did a great job of succinctly putting cell phone and OnStar data from the car together to show how the prosecutor will likely explain why all this different testimony from multiple witnesses blows holes in Alex's alibi story.

I went back and checked several sources and he is correct about the missed calls from Alex on Maggie's phone. There was also testimony about Alex's phone missing some of these same calls and it's clear that he deliberately deleted some of the calls that he made, in particular the 10:03 PM call he made to Maggie. That was a huge mistake to try to establish part of an alibi at that particular time and he obviously caught that mistake and removed it from his phone. But it was still on Maggie's phone as he had ditched the phone as he was leaving the crime scene.

--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Aaah! The beach property in Maggie's name! NOW it makes sense.

Question: Would he inherit under "Low Country Law" or is it bequeathed to him?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:45 am Aaah! The beach property in Maggie's name! NOW it makes sense.

Question: Would he inherit under "Low Country Law" or is it bequeathed to him?
I'm not sure, but he definitely inherited. I think it was most likely in her will.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

These are my notes from the OnStar testimony. I have Notepad++ and jotted notes during the testimony. Not sure it's exactly what the video above shows, but I double checked my data as I typed.

Car logs Suburban

vehicle parked messages reliable - can tell you whether car wa shifted into or out of parked

June 7, 202
12:21:43 - parked
12:33:23 - group of messages at same time. As a whole what do they mean. Computer was beginning to power down

Infotainment initiated boot up

18:23:57 (6:23 PM)- shifted out of park

21:03 boot up
21:04:18 group of messages - in aggregate system starting up

9:05:56 -
9:06:44 PM - vehicle system powering up

9:06:48 PM - engine running

9:06:56 - vehicle parked false - taken out of park

9:22:45 - vehicle put into park (16 minutes from out of park - likely travel time to mom's house)

9:43:05 - vehicle out of parked (21 minutes - matches amount of time caregiver says he was in the house vising his mother)
9:43:55 - vehicle into park (almost one minute)

9:44:54 - out of park
10:00:36 - into park (16 minutes - travel time back to Moselle)

10:01:7 out of park
10:01:29 into park (12 seconds)

10:01:30 out of park
10:01:43 - into park (13 seconds)

10:03 Called Maggie, this call is from her phone (he deleted this call from his phone)

10:04:44 - aggregate messages - system powering down possibly

10:04:49 out of park
10:05:55 - into park (just over 1 minute)

10:06:14 and 10:06:18 called 911 (this gives him very little time to investigate the bodies as he describes. It's 19 seconds between the time he parks the car and then comes back to the car to call 911. That is not much time to go to Paul, try to turn him over, fiddle with his phoone, but it back down, run over to Maggie, Oh yeah, he also checks for a pulse on "both of them" even though he admitted to having seen his son's brains laying at his son's feet.)

10:11:45 out of park
10:12:38 into park (just under a minute) This could coincide with him going back to the house and getting a gun, which is what he says he did.

10:13:39 out of park
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Oh. My. God.

So, Ms Shelley (the mother's caregiver) testified that he tried to get her to lie about how long he was at his mother's house. That was from a previous day (can't remember which day exactly, my days run together)

And just now (I'm behind on listening to testimony, it was earlier this morning, but it's "now" to me) - Alex asked the housekeeper to "remember" a different shirt that he was wearing. And she specifically testified that he was wearing a polo shirt the last time she saw him on the night of June 7. So, she is revealing that Alex asked her to lie about what he was wearing after it has just been established that a set of clothing is missing. (She always washed the families clothing, regardless of which house they were at).

All this circumstantial evidence is tying a nice neat bow around the fact that there are just too many coincidences, and lying by Alex (and attempting to get others to lie for him) about very key evidence.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Holy crap. The defense is way too close to this case (personal friendship with Alex going back many years) and the fact that they got testimony about how great everything was, big happy family, no worries, etc - now the prosecution is getting testimony from Blanca that Ms Maggie was super upset and worried about money because of the boat case. She told Blanca she would be willing to give the victims family everything they owned and that Maggie/Alex could just start all over (he made way good money and if he wasn't in debt up to his ears, they could easily have done what she wanted to do).
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Off Topic
Here is a side note that is super pissing me off. One of the witnesses is constantly being called "an accountant" by news media. She was the freaking CEO and CFO of the most prominent law firm in the county and probably many surrounding counties.

Blanca is being referred to as a "housekeeper" and while she eventually did work as a housekeeper for the Murdaughs she has a very impressive background, holding lots more high level positions throughout her life, which not a single media have ever mentioned. In spite of the fact that one of those high level positions is how she eventually came into contact with Alex Murdaugh.

While I believe housekeepers and accountants are both highly respectable lines of work, I am so sick of certain areas of this country where women are deliberately minimized. If a male CEO/CFO of a prominent law firm was also an accountant, I seriously doubt that any media would simply refer to him as "an accountant". :mad: :mad:
--Colin Kaepernick
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

RV,

I dunno about any misogynistic inference about referring to the CFO of the law firm as an accountant. For my scrip, titles are cheap. (The old joke about I can't give you a raise, but I can give you a title comes to mind! :biggrin: ) Yes, that law firm is large as local law firms go. But I really wonder just how large the accounting department would be at a firm of that size. I wonder how many financial transactions are processed daily in a service business. I cannot imagine the accounting department employing more than two people with occasional assistance from other clerical personnel in a pinch.

You watched the testimony. I defer to your knowledge. CFOs have a lot more responsibility than merely poring over the books and records and writing checks. I highly doubt whether the law firm would allow her to borrow money on her signature or perform other acts that would have the equity owners on the hook for loss.

Generally, if there is a CFO, there is also a controller. There are also departments like billing, payroll, accounts payable, data processing, and general ledger. Everyone reports to the controller who reports to the CFO. If I had been following this closely and heard the media refer to her as the CFO, I would conclude that this law firm must employ over 50 people plus partners. There would be thousands of transactions per month to track. I just do not think this is the case. Personally, I would not feel insulted if I had been she and the media called me the firm's accountant. But I do have that pesky Y chromosome! :towel:

I do think that "housekeeper" comes across a little demeaning, however. I don't know of a suitable word to describe someone who is in charge of all the things that need to be done for wealthy people's homes and properties.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

humblescribe wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:02 pm RV,

I dunno about any misogynistic inference about referring to the CFO of the law firm as an accountant. For my scrip, titles are cheap. (The old joke about I can't give you a raise, but I can give you a title comes to mind! :biggrin: ) Yes, that law firm is large as local law firms go. But I really wonder just how large the accounting department would be at a firm of that size. I wonder how many financial transactions are processed daily in a service business. I cannot imagine the accounting department employing more than two people with occasional assistance from other clerical personnel in a pinch.

You watched the testimony. I defer to your knowledge. CFOs have a lot more responsibility than merely poring over the books and records and writing checks. I highly doubt whether the law firm would allow her to borrow money on her signature or perform other acts that would have the equity owners on the hook for loss.

Generally, if there is a CFO, there is also a controller. There are also departments like billing, payroll, accounts payable, data processing, and general ledger. Everyone reports to the controller who reports to the CFO. If I had been following this closely and heard the media refer to her as the CFO, I would conclude that this law firm must employ over 50 people plus partners. There would be thousands of transactions per month to track. I just do not think this is the case. Personally, I would not feel insulted if I had been she and the media called me the firm's accountant. But I do have that pesky Y chromosome! :towel:

I do think that "housekeeper" comes across a little demeaning, however. I don't know of a suitable word to describe someone who is in charge of all the things that need to be done for wealthy people's homes and properties.
She took the witness stand. The first thing witnesses are asked is to explain "who they are" so to speak. She explained that she is both CEO and CFO of the original law firm and also of the new firm that was created after the original firm was dissolved after they fired Alex. So, yeah, it's demeaning to refer to her as an accountant when in fact she is CEO/CFO of a major law firm. And most women that I know would be offended at being called "an accountant" if they actually had the titles she has. Just like most women are offended by being referred to as "girls" when they are grown women. That also happens here in the southern USA and probably elsewhere in the USA as well. But we get such things are this quite a bit here in these southern states.
--Colin Kaepernick
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Thank you RV. Appreciate the reply.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

humblescribe wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:38 pm Thank you RV. Appreciate the reply.
:bighug: You are welcome.
--Colin Kaepernick
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I have no idea who that host is but he's horrible. Let's go get a drink and all be friends? Really?

And anyone who has ever been, or even been around, a nail biter knows they're just making shit up by saying he's flipping the bird to anyone.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I don't know if Buster using his middle finger during Tinsleys testimony was meant to be his way of flipping Tinsley off, but the totality of multiple behaviors by Buster (and his sister) did cause the judge to move them to the very back of the courtroom. During the proffer of testimony, Tinsley was very aggressive and he gave the defense attorney are real whipping. I think everyone was wondering how the defense would handle this witness in front of the jury, and they basically decided to make two very minor points and then say "that's all" after indicating at the beginning that they were going to keep him on the stand for a while. I think it was a smart move by the defense to avoid questioning Tinsley too much because he got the better of them during the proffer, I felt like the defense lawyer that questioned him needed to salve his wounds afterwards. So, it doesn't surprise me that everyone assumed Buster prominently using his middle finger actually meant something. it may or may not have, I certainly don't know what was in his mind, but given all the context any everything else he and his sister were doing, they were relegated to the back rows of the courtroom for the remainder after the break.
--Colin Kaepernick
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Two jurors tested positive for Covid and replaced.
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

These conversations are really interesting. Buster attended a single semester of law school. He was kicked out after being caught cheating, and he got very poor grades. Alex was trying to pull strings to allow Buster to return to law school and "redo" his first semester. It seems the school was willing to allow Buster to wait a full year and return in the Spring semester, meaning he would not be able to just erase the original bad semester and start from scratch. It's amazing how Alex believed he had enough pull to be able to overcome that decision and get the law school to give Buster a complete "do over".

--Colin Kaepernick
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Brandi solves the case:

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”