Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Chauvin Jury deliberation poll

How long will the Jury deliberate?

Monday
2%
Tuesday
38%
Wed
38%
Thurs
20%
Friday
2%
Sat
No votes
Sun
No votes

Total votes: 45

sterngard friegen

Re: Chauvin Jury deliberation poll

Post by sterngard friegen »

The T-shirt is enough. Chauvin's lawyer will argue it was a George Floyd rally to anyone wearing that T-shirt, that the juror was biased, and that the juror lied. If the juror actually wore the T-shirt, I think it's a slam dunk for a new trial.

The juror should be prosecuted. Perhaps he can serve time (much less) with Chauvin.
Lani

Post by Lani »

CNN announced that Chauvin's attorney filed for a new trial.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
bob

Post by bob »

Lani wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:22 pm CNN announced that Chauvin's attorney filed for a new trial.
The motion itself is short; it references the applicable facts and laws, but doesn't discuss them. The juror allegations are in there, near the end.
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Now that they've had a practice run, I'm worried the next defense will be competent. If the bastard gets off...
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

sterngard friegen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:20 pm The T-shirt is enough. Chauvin's lawyer will argue it was a George Floyd rally to anyone wearing that T-shirt, that the juror was biased, and that the juror lied. If the juror actually wore the T-shirt, I think it's a slam dunk for a new trial.

The juror should be prosecuted. Perhaps he can serve time (much less) with Chauvin.
sterngard friegen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:20 pm The T-shirt is enough. Chauvin's lawyer will argue it was a George Floyd rally to anyone wearing that T-shirt, that the juror was biased, and that the juror lied. If the juror actually wore the T-shirt, I think it's a slam dunk for a new trial.

Sternie :daydreaming: ,

I completely agree with your analysis.

In the article you posted, a defense lawyer said that the Daunte Wright killing could be a reason for a new trial (if combined with other factors). Why would that be?
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:41 pm Now that they've had a practice run, I'm worried the next defense will be competent. If the bastard gets off...
If he's acquitted after a fair trial I'm OK with that, because I really don't like the alternative.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bob

Post by bob »

LM K wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:49 pm[A] defense lawyer said that the Daunte Wright killing could be a reason for a new trial (if combined with other factors). Why would that be?
The short answer is: it wouldn't.

It would require a chain of events to be true. And the defense would need to provide (1) evidence that is (2) admissible about the jurors.

Basically, the defense would have to prove that the jury was prohibited from learning about Wright's death but a juror nonetheless did. Or a juror made an incredible statement like, "We must vote to convict Chauvin to honor Wright."
Image ImageImage
LM K

Post by LM K »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:41 pm Now that they've had a practice run, I'm worried the next defense will be competent. If the bastard gets off...
I'm not. Nelson did as well as any lawyer could.

The evidence against Chauvin is overwhelming. And I'm not sure that those who funded Chauvin's defense still have enough $$$ to fund what Chauvin will need with round 2.

The prosecution learned from round 1.
LM K

Post by LM K »

bob wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:00 pm
LM K wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:49 pm[A] defense lawyer said that the Daunte Wright killing could be a reason for a new trial (if combined with other factors). Why would that be?
The short answer is: it wouldn't.

It would require a chain of events to be true. And the defense would need to provide (1) evidence that is (2) admissible about the jurors.

Basically, the defense would have to prove that the jury was prohibited from learning about Wright's death but a juror nonetheless did. Or a juror made an incredible statement like, "We must vote to convict Chauvin to honor Wright."
:bighug:
sterngard friegen

I agree with bob.

(One disagrees with bob at his or her peril.)
bob

Post by bob »

sterngard friegen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:17 pm One disagrees with bob at his or her peril.
That Guy knows nothing.

My guess is there will be a hearing about whether the juror lied concealed was omissive committed misconduct when answering the juror questionnaire. And the new-trial motion will rise or fall on the judge's credibility findings about why the juror didn't disclose going to the D.C. event.

And the t-shirt will be relevant circumstantial evidence; Chauvin's lawyers will ask, e.g., "You didn't think the D.C. event, which occurred three months after Floyd's death, was a protest about police brutality, but yet you wore that shirt?"
Image ImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bob wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:27 pm
sterngard friegen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:17 pm One disagrees with bob at his or her peril.
That Guy knows nothing.

My guess is there will be a hearing about whether the juror lied concealed was omissive committed misconduct when answering the juror questionnaire. And the new-trial motion will rise or fall on the judge's credibility findings about why the juror didn't disclose going to the D.C. event.

And the t-shirt will be relevant circumstantial evidence; Chauvin's lawyers will ask, e.g., "You didn't think the D.C. event, which occurred three months after Floyd's death, was a protest about police brutality, but yet you wore that shirt?"
He says he doesn’t remember the shirt. Me, I have 100 t-shirts and recognize all of them.
bob

Post by bob »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:36 pmHe says he doesn’t remember the shirt.
And this is where a judge's findings are critical: The judge, following a hearing, may rely on innumerable intangibles when concluding the juror is or isn't credible (assuming the juror testifies at a hearing to that effect).
Image ImageImage
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

sterngard friegen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:17 pm I agree with bob.

(One disagrees with bob at his or her peril.)
I agree with bob too, also.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
sterngard friegen

bob wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:27 pm
That Guy knows nothing.

Objection. Argumentative.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Made it to the news feed down here...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-05/ ... /100116884
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

sterngard wrote: I think it's a slam dunk for a new trial.
I'd be a lot more worried about that if I thought a new trial would result in a different verdict. :smoking:
Edit: And I know there's no such thing as a guaranteed outcome in a trial, but still ...
Out from under. :thumbsup:
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Can an appeals look at the evidence of this juror's possible bias and conclude that it would not have made a difference in the outcome and therefore deny a retrial?

I know that, in the case of other minor procedural errors, the appeals court has said, in effect that "yeah, the judge made a mistake, but it wouldn't have affected the outcome of the trial. Therefore, we will allow the conviction to stand".

Can the same thing happen here, or is a new trial likely?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

We have heard from one of the alternate jurors, but not sure how many alternates there were. She was convinced of Chauvin's guilt. It would be interesting to see what the other alternates thought/think. It's not just what the jurors think, but their ability to be persuasive during deliberations. I could see a single holdout arguing effectively enough to turn things or at least to end up with a hung jury.

I would be nervous about a new trial, which I think is more than likely. This judge was pissed off about statements made after the jury was already sequestered, seems likely he is going to blow a fuse about that juror's T-shirt. Hell, I'm 100% convinced of Chauvin's guilt, 100% supportive of his conviction and I am pissed off about that damn juror. He just had to have his 15 minutes of fame, showed up on CNN and said that he "thought about" not going back to the trial after testimony started, but then decided "who will be there for the black man". That bothered me because he should have remained open minded until the end of the trial after all the evidence was in. So, I was already uncomfortable with him before the photo of him in a T-shirt came out. I'm confident that his statements on CNN were what caused people to search for photos of him anywhere on the internet, just hoping to see him at a rally or something.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

noblepa wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:57 am Can an appeals look at the evidence of this juror's possible bias and conclude that it would not have made a difference in the outcome and therefore deny a retrial?

I know that, in the case of other minor procedural errors, the appeals court has said, in effect that "yeah, the judge made a mistake, but it wouldn't have affected the outcome of the trial. Therefore, we will allow the conviction to stand".

Can the same thing happen here, or is a new trial likely?
I think this is a very interesting question, and I'd like to take a crack at it when I have more time. But (assuming the juror was, in fact, biased), I think it's going to come down to (1) whether the appellate court finds that having a biased juror on the court is a "structural error" affecting the framework of the trial itself (slam-dunk dismissal); or (2) if it's not a structural error, whether the error was "harmless beyond a reasonable doubt."

I might do a little bit of research on that later today, but I have something else I need to do right now, so unless one of the other IAALs addresses it, I'll discuss it later.
bob

Post by bob »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:11 pmI think this is a very interesting question, and I'd like to take a crack at it when I have more time. But (assuming the juror was, in fact, biased), I think it's going to come down to (1) whether the appellate court finds that having a biased juror on the court is a "structural error" affecting the framework of the trial itself (slam-dunk dismissal); or (2) if it's not a structural error, whether the error was "harmless beyond a reasonable doubt."
I believe most jurisdictions consider it a structural error, i.e., new trial without regard to possible harm. But I won't say all, and I don't know Minnesota's contours.

Also recall the Roger Stone trial: After the conviction, Stone wanted a new trial because one of the jurors had made "biased" social-media posts. But the judge didn't allow the new trial because the juror had been honest on the juror questionnaire and during voir dire; Stone's attorneys simply didn't do the research on the juror. The issue was less about the juror's possible bias and more about whether the juror had hampered Stone's ability to inquire and research. Courts tend to look more at jurors' concealments and omissions because those are often easier to prove than discerning what's in jurors' hearts.
Image ImageImage
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Allowing a biased juror to sit in the jury is a structural error in Minnesota.

From an unpublished case in the intermediate appellate court, but as good a job of legal research I’m likely to do on an iphone...
"The United States Constitution and the Minnesota Constitution guarantee a criminal defendant the right to an impartial jury." State v. Fraga, 864 N.W.2d 615, 623 (Minn. 2015). See also U.S. Const. amend. VI ("the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State"); Minn. Const. art. 1, § 6 ("in all criminal prosecutions the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial by an impartial jury"). "'The bias of a single juror violates the defendant's right to a fair trial,' because the 'impartiality of the adjudicator goes to the very integrity of the legal system.'" Id. (quoting State v. Brown, 732 N.W.2d 625, 630 (Minn. 2007)). "Permitting a biased juror to serve is structural error requiring automatic reversal." Id. (emphasis added).
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

He may have bigger worries than a state re-trial. Will the union (or whoever it is) continue pay his legal expenses indefinitely?
https://www.wjtv.com/news/national/3-ex ... ral-court/
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A federal grand jury has indicted the four former Minneapolis police officers involved in George Floyd’s arrest and death, accusing them of willfully violating the Black man’s constitutional rights as he was restrained face-down on the pavement and gasping for air.

A three-count indictment unsealed Friday names Derek Chauvin, Thomas Lane, J. Kueng and Tou Thao.

Specifically, Chauvin is charged with violating Floyd’s right to be free from unreasonable seizure and unreasonable force by a police officer. Thao and Kueng are also charged with violating Floyd’s right to be free from unreasonable seizure, alleging they did not intervene to stop Chauvin as he knelt on Floyd’s neck. All four officers are charged for their failure to provide Floyd with medical care.
:snippity:
Chauvin was also charged in a second indictment, stemming from the arrest and neck restraint of a 14-year-old boy in 2017. :snippity:
Conviction on a federal civil rights charge is punishable by up to life in prison or even the death penalty, but those stiff sentences are extremely rare and federal sentencing guidelines rely on complicated formulas that indicate the officers would get much less if convicted.

In Chauvin’s case, if the federal court uses second-degree murder as his underlying offense, he could face anywhere from 14 years to slightly more than 24 years, depending on whether he takes responsibility, said Mark Osler, a former federal prosecutor and professor at the University of St. Thomas School of Law.

Osler said the guidelines clearly state that any federal sentence would be served at the same time as a state sentence — the sentences wouldn’t stack. Chauvin is due to be sentenced on the state charges June 25.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:40 am He may have bigger worries than a state re-trial. Will the union (or whoever it is) continue pay his legal expenses indefinitely?
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A federal grand jury has indicted the four former Minneapolis police officers involved in George Floyd’s arrest and death, accusing them of willfully violating the Black man’s constitutional rights as he was restrained face-down on the pavement and gasping for air.

A three-count indictment unsealed Friday names Derek Chauvin, Thomas Lane, J. Kueng and Tou Thao.
Chauvin was also charged in a second indictment, stemming from the arrest and neck restraint of a 14-year-old boy in 2017. :snippity:
Sounds like these guys are having a bad year, don't you think? What are the federal sentencing guidelines if convicted on these charges? The article mentions they will run concurrent with the state convictions, but don't specify beyond that.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:35 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:40 am He may have bigger worries than a state re-trial. Will the union (or whoever it is) continue pay his legal expenses indefinitely?

Sounds like these guys are having a bad year, don't you think? What are the federal sentencing guidelines if convicted on these charges? The article mentions they will run concurrent with the state convictions, but don't specify beyond that.
How odd. Did it just leave out these 2 paragraphs altogether? I can see them on my original post but not on your quoted post.
Conviction on a federal civil rights charge is punishable by up to life in prison or even the death penalty, but those stiff sentences are extremely rare and federal sentencing guidelines rely on complicated formulas that indicate the officers would get much less if convicted.

In Chauvin’s case, if the federal court uses second-degree murder as his underlying offense, he could face anywhere from 14 years to slightly more than 24 years, depending on whether he takes responsibility, said Mark Osler, a former federal prosecutor and professor at the University of St. Thomas School of Law.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”