💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
bob

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by bob »

Suranis wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:46 pm The return of 2 members pushes the votes needed up by one, right?
If they return, Spartz to continue to vote for a person, and everyone else also votes, then we'd be back to 434 members, which moves the number back to 218.

222 - 6 = 216. :doh:
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by AndyinPA »

I don't remember specifics, but Steve Kornaki had three different scenarios where McCarthy could win on another ballot or two, even this evening. The differences were all about getting a few more to vote McCarthy, present, or not be there. He's close enough that Kornaki thinks it's likely. It would be by playing games, but he definitely thinks it could happen.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Is it me who doesn’t get it or the Save America Six who’re clueless? You’re not saving America, Dipshit, you’re wrenching control of the direction we’ve decided we want to go from We the People and telling us how it’s gonna be because you want it that way. What is the will of the people, anyway? At this point, it’s nowhere near what Republican “legislators” are pushing.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
Here is a list of some of the major concessions and promises McCarthy has made over the course of the negotiations, according to CNN reporting.

Any member can call for a motion to vacate the speaker’s chair

McCarthy’s leadership PAC won’t play in open primaries in safe districts

Hold votes on key conservative bills, including balanced budget amendment, congressional term limits, border security

A debt ceiling hike must be paired with spending cuts

Move 12 appropriations bill individually

More Freedom Caucus representation on committees, including the House Rules Committee

Cap discretionary spending at fiscal 2022 levels, which would amount to lower levels for defense and domestic programs

Allow for 72 hours to review bills before they come to floor

Give members ability to offer more amendments on the House floor

Create an investigative committee to probe the “weaponization” of the federal government

Restore the Holman rule which can be used to reduce the salary of government officials
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

And a pony.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:10 pm Is it me who doesn’t get it or the Save America Six who’re clueless? You’re not saving America, Dipshit, you’re wrenching control of the direction we’ve decided we want to go from We the People and telling us how it’s gonna be because you want it that way. What is the will of the people, anyway? At this point, it’s nowhere near what Republican “legislators” are pushing.
Investigate Hunter Biden's dick pics! :cantlook:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

Five seconds after McCarty is confirmed, a Democrat should call for a motion to vacate the speaker's chair.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Do they mean Republican Party member or House of Representatives member on the vote on the speaker?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

Create an investigative committee to probe the “weaponization” of the federal government
:ironymeter:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

And....good luck with that!

FYI I happened to catch Boebert today, nominating Hern, saying that he was a brilliant dude who would end inflation by passing a balanced budge amendment.

:bored:

I know, I know, but JHC she is a pin head.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

TheNewSaint wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:30 pm
Five seconds after McCarty is confirmed, a Democrat should call for a motion to vacate the speaker's chair.
That long?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:54 pm And....good luck with that!

FYI I happened to catch Boebert today, nominating Hern, saying that he was a brilliant dude who would end inflation by passing a balanced budge amendment.

:bored:

I know, I know, but JHC she is a pin head.
Look carefully at her face. Not her appearance but her expressions. She is a raging kettle of acid. I can't begin to imagine how anyone so privileged becomes so bitter.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

TheNewSaint wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:41 pm
:ironymeter:
Tell me you have no
Idea how government works without saying you have no idea how government works.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Oh, god, yeah. If there's an ounce of human compassion spread amongst the entire Pub House, I'd be shocked.

Jackels, all of them.

And they think if they get McCarthy installed, they're over the hump. I hate to tell them, this is not an entrance exam, this is your new reality. Over and over and over.
Jim

Post by Jim »

McCarthy looks like Chamberlain trying to appease the Nazis. Weak.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Jim wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:13 pm McCarthy looks like Chamberlain trying to appease the Nazis. Weak.
And it might end the same way.. :(
bob

Post by bob »

It appears Swalwell is saying Boebert now is going to vote for McCarthy.

I don't the basis for that claim.
Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

bob wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:40 pm https:// twitter.com/RepSwalwell/status/1611534411899760641
It appears Swalwell is saying Boebert now is going to vote for McCarthy.

I don't the basis for that claim.
CNN is reporting similar.
bob

Post by bob »

Kendra wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:44 pm CNN is reporting similar.
E.g., CNN:
Colorado Rep. Boebert is in the mix as a potential "present" vote, sources say

Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert of Colorado is among the GOP holdouts considered to be in the mix to vote "present" when the House reconvenes at 10 p.m. ET, multiple sources tell CNN.

CNN previously reported that Rep. Kevin McCarthy and his allies are trying to convince some of the holdouts to simply vote "present" (rather than for or against him) to help lower the threshold of votes needed for McCarthy to become speaker.

GOP Reps. Matt Rosendale and Eli Crane are also considered top targets of McCarthy allies in these final hours before returning to the floor, but it wasn't previously known Boebert is a possibility.
As always, no more than nine "present" Republican votes (or not voting), plus the vacancy, would give McCarthy 213 votes to Jeffries' 212.

So the Holdout Six voting "present," plus Beck and Hunt not voting, would mean McCarthy is the Speaker, 214 to 212 (with 50.2% of the votes). Then they'll vote on the concessions-filled rules package, which presumably will pass 220-212.

And then the Holdout Six will declare victory for "We The People." :roll:
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Donalds caves!
Congressman Byron Donalds @RepDonaldsPress wrote: Over the past several days, I’ve worked alongside Speaker Designate @kevinomccarthy and several of my colleagues in good faith to ensure accountability, representation, and commitments from House leadership in the 118th Congress. The progress we’ve made is significant. (1/3)

What we’ve witnessed is monumental and a testament to how government should function in our Constitutional Republic. As we continue negotiations, I’m confident our conference is positioned to get the ball over the finish line. (2/3)

The Speaker’s Office must work for We The People, and I believe the concessions we’ve secured achieve this. Republicans are ready to govern and deliver results on behalf of our constituents and the nation. (3/3)
https://twitter.com/RepDonaldsPress/sta ... 4081638400
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

Some of the Kevin voters may not be on board with the rules package and vote with the democrats against it. Basically meaning everything he gave away to the nut jobs is subject to being pulled back from the table. After the speaker vote is done, of course.
bob

Post by bob »

Biggs and Good voted for Jordan. Crane voted for Biggs. Boebert voted "present" (to great applause). Gaetz and Gosar didn't vote. :smoking:

Hunt returned, to vote for McCarthy.

Regardless of how Rosendale votes (if at all), and everyone remains consistent, McCarthy should have it.
Edit: Rosendale voted for Biggs. So never-Kevin got four votes; four Republicans (essentially) not voting. 214 to 212.
Image ImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Someone on Twitter said that Jordan (above and beyond his previous work failures) hasn't authored a bill in 14 years as a congressman. Maybe that's typical but still.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

All down to Goetz. Sigh.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Danraft wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:52 pm All down to Goetz. Sigh.
I was just wondering if Gaetz would like to humiliate him one last time. :shrug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Current Politics”