💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I know I'm not the first to say this, but I swear, if were a pub in the House right now, I'd be talking to any moderates who aren't planning to run next year and/or actually still care about the country and try to convince them that if we don't put an end to this McCarthy fire sale on speaker powers, that group of 20 is going to assume they can do whatever they want and will pull a stunt like this every single time it looks like they might not get their way, and that the best thing to do is pull ALL of their power away from them by getting behind Jeffries and make HIM speaker. He won't be beholden in any way to the clown caucus, and he won't bow to their demands. Basically, teach those idiots a big lesson by shoving a huge middle finger in their face.
Danraft

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Danraft »

The vote can be redone. It isn’t final. Built into this is the rules that allow that to happen.
Committee assignments, debt ceiling, and whatever else is a priority is also negotiated. Fail to follow through, replaced .
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:20 am Yeah, but, pubs, and especially McCarthy lies. It doesn't matter if it's in writing, he'll just ignore it cuz he's a proven liar.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Also agreeable.
In essence the MAGA fringe have to be defanged. The midterms showed that election deniers were not wanted. The extreme is not wanted.

We have the deluded, the ones who do performative cosplay politics catering to their griftable base.
Very dangerous. Look at what has happened with Israel and Netanyahu gathering the reins of power by appealing to what are basically terrorists. Yikes.
Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:02 am I know I'm not the first to say this, but I swear, if were a pub in the House right now, I'd be talking to any moderates who aren't planning to run next year and/or actually still care about the country and try to convince them that if we don't put an end to this McCarthy fire sale on speaker powers, that group of 20 is going to assume they can do whatever they want and will pull a stunt like this every single time it looks like they might not get their way, and that the best thing to do is pull ALL of their power away from them by getting behind Jeffries and make HIM speaker. He won't be beholden in any way tonthe clown caucus, and he won't bow to their demands. Basically, teach those idiots a big lesson by shoving a huge middle finger in their face.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:02 am I know I'm not the first to say this, but I swear, if were a pub in the House right now, I'd be talking to any moderates who aren't planning to run next year and/or actually still care about the country and try to convince them that if we don't put an end to this McCarthy fire sale on speaker powers, that group of 20 is going to assume they can do whatever they want and will pull a stunt like this every single time it looks like they might not get their way, and that the best thing to do is pull ALL of their power away from them by getting behind Jeffries and make HIM speaker. He won't be beholden in any way to the clown caucus, and he won't bow to their demands. Basically, teach those idiots a big lesson by shoving a huge middle finger in their face.
Ordinarily, I would not quote an entire post like this, especially when it's already been quoted.

And it's not the first time anybody said it, but it's the best way I've seen of saying it.

My wife has been telling me this for two days, especially on our 2 mile walk yesterday.

And all I could say was, I hope you're right. I think it's unpossible.

But, look at Kriselda's reasoning. It's pretty goddamned compelling, you ask me.

If it happens, I'm going to consider it a miracle. Can you imagine? Jeffries would be a thousand times better than any Republican. But will it actually come to fruition?

Anything unpossible is possible, I reckon. :shrug:
Never trust a llama with a knife and a sombrero.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Jake Sherman @JakeSherman 9m
🚨🚨🚨NEWS— KEVIN MCCARTHY ANNOUNCES ON GOP CALL THAT HE AND CHIP ROY HAVE A DEAL

hahaha but wait, what?????
Jake Sherman @JakeSherman 1m
MCHENRY points out on the call that @chiproytx will not be rules chair.

Jake Sherman @JakeSherman 3m
Later on the call, McCarthy said I’m not saying we have an agreement. I am saying we’re in a great spot.
HFC is meeting about the proposed deal.

Really thought they'd have this together. Maybe no. hahaha

A few Twitter roundups...

Vince Langman @LangmanVince 26s
Brian Kilmeade is dead to me
Laura Loomer @LauraLoomer 16m
Hahah @jfradioshow cracked up LIVE on air just now when I referred to MTG as Marjorie TRAITOR Greene. He loves it.

I coined that nickname, and that’s what I have been referring to her as for months and will continue referring to her as.

#MarjorieTraitorGreene
Juanita Broaddrick @atensnut 25m
Reliable sources say Trump would accept the Speaker Job ……and Lord knows he would be 100 times better than McCarthy.
Quote Tweet
The Gateway Pundit @gatewaypundit 1h
President Trump Releases Truth Indicating He Might Like Negotiating with Corrupt Biden Admin as Speaker of the House https://ift.tt/bpSZs9Q

Philosophy of Ultra MAGA and the 20 terrorists:

Omnibus.JPG
Omnibus.JPG (77.24 KiB) Viewed 991 times

The Gateway House of Boys is ANGRY.
Why Do 201 GOP Reps Continue to Vote for Kevin McCarthy Who Gets an “F” Liberty Score from Conservative Review?
By Joe Hoft Published January 6, 2023 at 8:30am

How do conservatives like Sean Hannity, Mark Levin and others justify this? This is a real head-scratcher. Two nights ago we watched Sean Hannity berate GOP Rep. Lauren Boebert for not voting for Kevin McCarthy for Speaker. Hannity was livid with Boebert who had the audacity not to vote for McCarthy. Hannity considers himself a conservative. So do others on FOX News. Individuals like Mark Levin are very upset that McCarthy is not Speaker already. Why?

According to Liberty Score, powered by the Conservative Review, Kevin McCarthy gets an “F” on supporting conservative principles. McCarthy barely measures as a conservative. By comparison, Lauren Boebert gets an “A” in the same analysis. All of the GOP Representatives who have received 10 votes or more for Speaker are much higher ranked than McCarthy. Jim Jordan gets an “A”. Byron Donalds gets an “A”. Andy Biggs receives an “A” Liberty Score.

Why is this being ignored by FOX News Hosts and 90% of the GOP caucus? How can these people call themselves conservatives and back a candidate for House Speaker who gets an “F” in supporting conservative principles? And you wonder why there is a disconnect between the GOP and the American people.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

I don't understand why McCarthy is so willing to give up virtually all his power when any five of the ultra nuts can pull the rug out from under him at any time. Who would want to be beholden to this group?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The only thing he wants is the title. That's why it's so easy for him to give up everything else, including the power.

And, as far as an F on conservative principles, he gets an F for not having any principles.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

This is an article worth a few minutes…
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:52 am The only thing he wants is the title. That's why it's so easy for him to give up everything else, including the power.
But why? Is his goal to turn the name 'McCarthy' into the political version of 'Karen'? 'McCarthy' already has a lingering foul smell from Joseph McCarthy (who is inextricably linked with Roy Cohn).
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I got that in my email yesterday. I haven't listened to him this week, but I think I'll put him on this afternoon.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Jim

Post by Jim »

McCarthy seems to be in a no-win situation here...

1) He can't deal with the holdouts because their goal is obviously to make the speaker position a figurehead with minimal power and they will run the house

2) He can't deal with the dems because that is sacrilege to today's pub party.

His best bet...IMO...is to withdraw from the next round of voting and watch as nobody will be able to get enough votes and more splintering. Then hope he becomes the compromise candidate.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Azastan wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:59 am
AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:52 am The only thing he wants is the title. That's why it's so easy for him to give up everything else, including the power.
But why? Is his goal to turn the name 'McCarthy' into the political version of 'Karen'? 'McCarthy' already has a lingering foul smell from Joseph McCarthy (who is inextricably linked with Roy Cohn).
I don't why. I'm not sure if he even knows why. Why is he the only republican in his family? Maybe he could answer that; maybe not. I'm sure he'd have an excuse.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Jim wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:08 am His best bet...IMO...is to withdraw from the next round of voting and watch as nobody will be able to get enough votes and more splintering. Then hope he becomes the compromise candidate.
I can't see that happening, because the reactionaries are absolutely not going to compromise. And he's too delicate to take a risk of missing a round. He's still the only one, he thinks. He just has to hang tough, he thinks.

And Fogbow agrees - he's got 17 votes and my choice (Nobody) only has 10.

In a sane situation, I'd agree that might happen, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of sane here.
Never trust a llama with a knife and a sombrero.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Because I mentioned the Israel/Netanyahu situation… this is a sobering article which partly explains why, while I enjoy the shadenfreud (sp?), this path seems dangerous…

jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:23 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:02 am I know I'm not the first to say this, but I swear, if were a pub in the House right now, I'd be talking to any moderates who aren't planning to run next year and/or actually still care about the country and try to convince them that if we don't put an end to this McCarthy fire sale on speaker powers, that group of 20 is going to assume they can do whatever they want and will pull a stunt like this every single time it looks like they might not get their way, and that the best thing to do is pull ALL of their power away from them by getting behind Jeffries and make HIM speaker. He won't be beholden in any way to the clown caucus, and he won't bow to their demands. Basically, teach those idiots a big lesson by shoving a huge middle finger in their face.
Ordinarily, I would not quote an entire post like this, especially when it's already been quoted.

And it's not the first time anybody said it, but it's the best way I've seen of saying it.

My wife has been telling me this for two days, especially on our 2 mile walk yesterday.

And all I could say was, I hope you're right. I think it's unpossible.

But, look at Kriselda's reasoning. It's pretty goddamned compelling, you ask me.

If it happens, I'm going to consider it a miracle. Can you imagine? Jeffries would be a thousand times better than any Republican. But will it actually come to fruition?

Anything unpossible is possible, I reckon. :shrug:
Attachments
C34AEB06-8C86-4070-BC6C-3550B02C705E.jpeg
C34AEB06-8C86-4070-BC6C-3550B02C705E.jpeg (483.39 KiB) Viewed 900 times
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

Azastan wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:41 am I don't understand why McCarthy is so willing to give up virtually all his power when any five of the ultra nuts can pull the rug out from under him at any time. Who would want to be beholden to this group?
Yeah really. Oh wait; they demanded that only ONE of them can do it. And McCarthy gave it to them. And that WASN'T EVEN ENOUGH.

At some point the Republican Party has to realize these people are not negotiating seriously. Hell, they don't seem to take being in Congress seriously.

Reminds me of that sexist joke where the punchline is "you can negotiate with a terrorist."
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

I have holding back on voting because, WTF. I agree these 20 will not quit until they destroy the house/Congress and their King is anointed. So, still don't like my vote, but because I have voted the dam will break and gazpacho* will be named speaker.

*insert any name you desire except Kevin.
OTOH, Kevin, as speaker, is so compromised, nothing will get passed except for 100 Biden impeachment requests and a government shutdown, except for the Biden impeachments.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

McCarthy nominated for 12th House speaker ballot.

Here we go again.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

What's Gaetz going to do now?
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

One of the things that the Never Kevin faction wants is the ability for a single member to call for a "motion to vacate".

My question is, in the event that the motion is made, does that immediately vacate the Speaker's chair, or does it simply call for a vote of the full house to do so? IOW, if Gaetz made the motion does McCarthy need 218 votes to remain as speaker, or does it take a simple majority vote to remove him? Does it even take a majority vote to hold the vote to actually remove him?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Gaetz nominates Gym Jordan, Bobo nominates Rep Hern.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Fiascoist wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:16 pm I have holding back on voting because, WTF. I agree these 20 will not quit until they destroy the house/Congress and their King is anointed. So, still don't like my vote, but because I have voted the dam will break and gazpacho* will be named speaker.

*insert any name you desire except Kevin.
OTOH, Kevin, as speaker, is so compromised, nothing will get passed except for 100 Biden impeachment requests and a government shutdown, except for the Biden impeachments.
Don't forget the endless "investigations" into Hunter Biden's laptop.

No matter what happens, MTG, Matt Gaitz and Bobo will be speaker(s) in all but name. McCarthy (or whoever) won't be able to do anything without their approval, or they will file a motion to vacate.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My understanding is that whoever gets it, s/he will be bound by all of McCarthy's promises. This next two years will be the Insurrectionists' House.
Kendra

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-MO) - Joshua David Hawley, alt-reich mistake

Post by Kendra »

Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Already 4 no votes this is going to lucky number 13
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle

Return to “Current Politics”