💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Frater I*I »

Has anyone here grown tired of seeing McCarthy getting punched in the dick repeatedly by his own people?

Yeah, me neither.... :rotflmao:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
John Thomas8

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by John Thomas8 »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:14 pm Has anyone here grown tired of seeing McCarthy getting punched in the dick repeatedly by his own people?

High end entertainment right there.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

NOOOOOOOO. Not yet. :blissy:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

As IF!!!!!!!! I wish my Dad were alive. He'd be cackling at the taxpayer paid entertainment.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

At this point, McCarthy is so damaged, so humiliated, so destroyed, that he can't possibly be an effective Speaker. It isn't just my cats now - my kitty litter boxes have zero respect for Kevin McCarthy.

And they don't have anyone else who can get 218 votes.

Ol' Wifehorn might be right this time. :think:
Katie Porter '28
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:26 pm At this point, McCarthy is so damaged, so humiliated, so destroyed, that he can't possibly be an effective Speaker. It isn't just my cats now - my kitty litter boxes have zero respect for Kevin McCarthy.

There isn't a 'pub in congress that has the correct balance of Qanon christofascist and actual adult that can get enough votes to be the speaker.

Install Jon Stewart and get on with it.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:26 pm

HEY! There's a brutal, ferocious, savage, dangerous, ruthless, remorseless, merciless, callous, cruel and cold-blooded killer candidate right here.

#BiscuitForSpeaker #OrElse

Biscuit Basket.jpg
Biscuit Basket.jpg (216.37 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby has been puzzling about who could be a candidate that could get elected, besides Biscuit, of course. I suggested Warren Buffet. Hubby says he's too old.

He thought Carl Sagan would work except for the dead thing.

So, is there any living person who could get the necessary votes without trickery of some kind?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
much ado

Post by much ado »

I suppose they'll have to change the rules of the House so that when electing the new Speaker, only Republican votes are counted.

Would that work?
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

It's super unclear about any rules since nobody has been sworn in, there's effectively no leader and no rules package has been adopted. How far they can go about changing rules for Speaker votes is very unclear. Parliamentarians are probably being consulted.

And thank you, TRL. :lovestruck: "Some" here haven't been sufficiently threatened yet but there's an elite parachute team on the way to "educate" him.

Root Beer Headphones 2.jpg
Root Beer Headphones 2.jpg (296.15 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:03 pm Did anyone else see the "truth" that CNN showed today with (I think) Biden and Kamala Harris at the podiums in the House with DFO standing in the Speaker's position, as in a State of the Union speech, sticking his tongue out, making a face, and rubbing his stomach? I can't find it anywhere. It was appalling and disgraceful.
BA975C65-F5FF-4BB4-82DE-EAD356261DF0.png
BA975C65-F5FF-4BB4-82DE-EAD356261DF0.png (478.41 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:14 pm Has anyone here grown tired of seeing McCarthy getting punched in the dick repeatedly by his own people?

I've got 8 lbs of popping corn, I'm set for the long haul.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Luke

Post by Luke »

Gateway House of Boys quoting Breitbart:
Breaking: Republican Holdout Rep. Ralph Norman Expects Written Offer to End Standoff for Speaker by Friday Morning
By Jim Hoft Published January 5, 2023 at 8:57pm

Republican holdout Rep. Ralph Norman says he expects a written offer on Thursday night to end the standoff between Kevin McCarthy and the 20 GOP holdouts. Congress has failed to select a Speaker after 11 votes. The actions of these principled conservatives who refuse to support Kevin McCarthy is infuriating to party insiders, the Uniparty, lobbyists, and GOP elites. This hasn’t happened since 1859.

On Thursday Breitbart reported that a deal may have been reached. Breitbart.com reported:
Rep. Ralph Norman (R-SC), one of 20 House Republicans who voted against Rep. Kevin McCarthy for Speaker expects a written offer between McCarthy and his opponents to be completed Thursday night, Punchbowl News reported. Punchbowl News’s Jake Sherman reported that a deal between McCarthy and his opponents “is close.” Reps. Chip Roy (R-TX) and Patrick McHenry (R-NC) have reportedly been leading negotiations with McCarthy.
/2 Norman says there’s an agreement in writing as he heads into Emmer’s office. He’s been asked to look at it
— John Bresnahan (@bresreports) January 5, 2023

The breakthrough reports about a deal being on the table to secure McCarthy’s speakership come amid a long day of negotiations, concessions, and multiple failed Speaker votes.
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/0 ... y-morning/

House of Boys has been very anti-McCarthy, they've made sure to headline IN ALL CAPS each vote Kevin has lost.

Rondeau performed some hard-hitting journalism by... watching Hannity.

Hannity: McCarthy Agrees to Numerous Agenda Items
39 mins ago by Sharon Rondeau

(Jan. 5, 2023) — According to “Hannity” host Sean Hannity Thursday night, Speaker of the House hopeful Kevin McCarthy (R-23) has promised to tackle a lengthy list of agenda items important to “holdout” Republican congressmen-elect and others who have remained firmly opposed to voting for McCarthy in what has become a drawn-out floor debate. Some of the “concessions” include focusing on such concerns as “election integrity,” a 72-hour review period for all bills, and reducing the number of members required to call for the ousting of the Speaker from half the House of Representatives to a single congressman, Hannity read from a list of points. In an attempt to bring more Republicans to his side, McCarthy has signed a pledge to that effect, Hannity said.

In 11 rounds of voting over the last three days, McCarthy has received no more than 201 votes vs. 212 consistent Democrat votes for Rep. Hakeem Jeffries, with the 20 objectors voting for other members or, in the case of Rep. Matt Gaetz earlier Thursday, for “Donald John Trump.” One of the 20 has voted “present” on several occasions. For his part, Trump pledged his support for McCarthy prior to the convening of the 118th Congress on Tuesday and indicated optimism Thursday morning that a speedy resolution to the impasse would be reached. “There are ‘never-McCarthy’ votes” which will not change despite the numerous concessions, Fox News’s Bret Baier told Hannity at 9:08 p.m. EST. :lol: “These guys don’t have a personality problem with Kevin McCarthy; they don’t trust him,” Baier explained.

McCarthy has failed to garner the necessary 218 votes to become Speaker, the lack of which has stalled Republicans’ agenda after the party’s narrow majority emerged from November 8, 2022 elections. If McCarthy succeeds in becoming Speaker, Baier said, “he will be weakened.” A common theme in the floor remarks of many congressmen-elect over the last three days is that Republicans must “fix” what is seen as dysfunction in the chamber and in greater Washington, DC. As a result of the lack of a Speaker, no congressman-elect has been sworn in and cannot be referred to as “Congressman” or “Congresswoman,” Fox has reported.
https://www.thepostemail.com/2023/01/05 ... nda-items/

Whew, good thing Rharon relied on Fox News' reporting about not referring to them as "Congressman". It would have been horrible if she went way out on a limb and then was left holding the bag.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:01 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:03 pm Did anyone else see the "truth" that CNN showed today with (I think) Biden and Kamala Harris at the podiums in the House with DFO standing in the Speaker's position, as in a State of the Union speech, sticking his tongue out, making a face, and rubbing his stomach? I can't find it anywhere. It was appalling and disgraceful.
Thank you!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

So.....here's what frosts my cupcakes: it would take 6 R votes to elect Hakeem Jeffries as Speaker of the House. It would take about 11, give or take, to abstain to elect Kevin McCarthy Speaker of the House. Which is more democratic?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

SuzieC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:12 pm So.....here's what frosts my cupcakes: it would take 6 R votes to elect Hakeem Jeffries as Speaker of the House. It would take about 11, give or take, to abstain to elect Kevin McCarthy Speaker of the House. Which is more democratic?
Because 4 Rs are out of the chamber tomorrow, those numbers go down to 4 and 7, respectively, unless my understanding is off.

It probably still wont happen, but its possible.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Dingbat's fingers are too long, of course. No wonder he shared it.
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Suranis wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:23 pm
Dingbat's fingers are too long, of course. No wonder he shared it.
Personally, I don't see why he shared it. It makes him look like an mindless idiot, a misbehaving child sitting among adults.
much ado

Post by much ado »

Because he's stupid.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:30 pm
Foggy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:26 pm At this point, McCarthy is so damaged, so humiliated, so destroyed, that he can't possibly be an effective Speaker. It isn't just my cats now - my kitty litter boxes have zero respect for Kevin McCarthy.

There isn't a 'pub in congress that has the correct balance of Qanon christofascist and actual adult that can get enough votes to be the speaker.

Install Jon Stewart and get on with it.
I iz sneakerin to da Speakerin! #BiscuitForSpeaker

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Da cute baby would be better than anyone the 'pubs have presented.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

orlylicious wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:40 pm It's super unclear about any rules since nobody has been sworn in, there's effectively no leader and no rules package has been adopted. How far they can go about changing rules for Speaker votes is very unclear. Parliamentarians are probably being consulted.

And thank you, TRL. :lovestruck: "Some" here haven't been sufficiently threatened yet but there's an elite parachute team on the way to "educate" him.

Root Beer Headphones 2.jpg

A Majority vote can suspend the rules and elect a Speaker by plurality, who would then be voted yes/no with the majority of those voting would approve or reject. If rejected, the whole process goes back to Go but does not collect $200. To do it again, it would require another resolution to suspend the rules (which can only be done for the next thing, you cannot suspend the rules for the duration and you can't change the rules until you elect a Speaker, and then pass a Rules Package Bill (this is done every Congress, usually on January 3rd right after the formality of electing the new Speaker.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:36 pm Hubby has been puzzling about who could be a candidate that could get elected, besides Biscuit, of course. I suggested Warren Buffet. Hubby says he's too old.

He thought Carl Sagan would work except for the dead thing.

So, is there any living person who could get the necessary votes without trickery of some kind?

How about Jimmy Buffet?

John Kasich, Chris Sununu (who would then be well positioned to run for President BTW), Larry Hogan. There are quite a few who could do the job, and in the process save America and the Republicans from the MAGA wing of the party, putting them all out to sea once and for all. I think the best place to look for a true coalition Speaker is Republican Governors or recently former Governors, No worries about getting primaried, know how government works, have a personal staff organization to help them adapt etc... and as I said, any of them who might want to be the dark horse sane Republican Presidential candidate it puts them in a place to work on that.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

SuzieC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:12 pm So.....here's what frosts my cupcakes: it would take 6 R votes to elect Hakeem Jeffries as Speaker of the House. It would take about 11, give or take, to abstain to elect Kevin McCarthy Speaker of the House. Which is more democratic?
I heard on RWNJ radio today about how both sides are being childish. Rs because, well, they’re Rs. And Ds because they won’t just flip over and vote for McCarthy. As if!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:35 pm Personally, I don't see why he shared it. It makes him look like an mindless idiot, a misbehaving child sitting among adults.
He thinks it makes him look strong, that his fingers are long, and he hates Biden. Plus there might be a problem with his mouth that he cant stick his tongue out like that, so he would share that to pretend that imperfection isn't there.

Shame motivates a narcissist as much as anything else.
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Current Politics”