💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Suranis

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Suranis »

Ya, I dont believe any "reporting" till I see votes. Its all speculation from the press, and people promising stuff and doing something else.
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Volkonski »

Rep. Kevin McCarthy nominated for an 11th round of voting.

Not enough votes to adjourn?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The 11th round voting has begun.

Rep. Donalds wasn't nominated this time.

Trump was nominated. :roll:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Rep. Matt Gaetz nominates former President Trump for speaker on 11th ballot

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, when I was a boy, harrumph, harrumph!

If you were playing ping pong and you fell behind, 7-0, we said you'd been "skunked" and the game was over (normally you play till someone gets 21 points).

Anybody remember that?

McCarthy done got skunked and a half already.

But somebody has to lose, and he hasn't finished losing yet!
Katie Porter '28
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

And it looks like we'll be on to round 12 soon. :popcorn:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

McCarthy currently huddled in speaker's ceremonial office with key negotiators

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
Rep. Kevin McCarthy is currently huddled in the speaker’s ceremonial office, off the House floor, and was just joined by key negotiators: Rep. Byron Donalds, Rep. Tom Emmer and Rep. Chip Roy.

The three Republicans scrambled up to the second floor to meet McCarthy after a lengthy negotiating session in Emmer’s office with other lawmakers, where they were viewing an emerging written deal to break the stalemate over McCarthy’s speakership.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

With all these rounds, does the House now have those shapely ring-card girls parading about with the round # on a large piece of painted plywood like boxing matches of old?
ring card.webp
ring card.webp (92.75 KiB) Viewed 651 times
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh goody, a written deal. My favorite, when they're (inevitably) broken.
Katie Porter '28
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

humblescribe wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:03 pm With all these rounds, does the House now have those shapely ring-card girls parading about with the round # on a large piece of painted plywood like boxing matches of old?

ring card.webp
Boebert finally is useful! :pigsfly:
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

:rotflmao:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

He's this stupid, can't figure out his own folks don't want him in the seat?

The christofasicsts in this country are going to kill it.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Matt Gaetz was spotted talking on the floor to Joe Neguse :smoking:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

From the Wonkette description of when NC GOP Rep. Dan Bishop, rose to remind everyone that Byron Donalds, who has been in Congress since 2021, could be the first Black speaker, and nominate him again...
He is also bitching and moaning a whole lot that Democratic Rep. Cori Bush said Republicans are using Byron Donalds as a "prop." He is North-Carolina-white-splaining to the Democrats how racist that is of Cori Bush to say that.

Just another white Republican from the south who sounds like he's doing an impression of a confederate Foghorn Leghorn with a dick stuck in his throat. It's kind of their thing.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Worth pointing out, Trump has lost 3 more elections today. :thumbsup:

ETA: 4... and counting. :popcorn:

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh man, do I have to go over there? :lol:
Katie Porter '28
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

MQG was sitting and chatting with... George Santos.

Hell yeah on Bobo, her interview with Hannity was an instant classic.

Gaetz totally humiliated the disgraced loser... ONE pathetic vote. The chamber broke out in laughter when the clerk said one vote. MAGAts are all trumpeting the idea of trump for Speaker and am giving them the Democratic Seal of Approval :lol:

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

BoBo has nominated 2 different people in speaches today.

If she holds out long enough maybe they'll make her Speaker.

I'm sticking with my original plan #BiscuitForSpeaker :mrgreen:

busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Interesting about Feinstein. Any speculation about who Gov. Newsom might appoint?
One of the front runners could be Rob Bonta.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Bonta
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Did anyone else see the "truth" that CNN showed today with (I think) Biden and Kamala Harris at the podiums in the House with DFO standing in the Speaker's position, as in a State of the Union speech, sticking his tongue out, making a face, and rubbing his stomach? I can't find it anywhere. It was appalling and disgraceful.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:36 pm I am concerned that McCarthy will give so much away to the gang of 20 that he won't be able to function as speaker. The moment he does something they don't like one of them will call for his ouster. That could become a frequent occurrence.
Michael Steele said in a recent interview that MTG is going to be a "shadow speaker of the House", meaning that McCarthy won't be able to make a move without her approval.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Now that Donalds' votes are trending downward, will he suddenly realize he was being used as a token?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, I couldn't get through that with a straight face.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bob

Post by bob »

:towel:

They've adjourned for the day. But they said "no" to McCarthy five times today; a new record for him. :thumbsup:
Image ImageImage
much ado

Post by much ado »

Suranis wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:48 pm Ya, I dont believe any "reporting" till I see votes. Its all speculation from the press, and people promising stuff and doing something else.
Recently from NYTimes...
4 minutes ago
Emily Cochrane Reporting from the Capitol

Matt Gaetz tells us he has seen the emerging deal, but won’t support it. Why? “It results in Kevin McCarthy becoming the speaker,” he said.
Gift link: Live Updates: House Adjourns Again With No Resolution on Speaker

ETA: Update from above link...
Updated
Jan. 5, 2023, 8:40 p.m. ET 21 minutes ago
Catie Edmondson Reporting from the Capitol

Grasping for a Deal, McCarthy Offers Terms That Would Erode Speaker’s Power

WASHINGTON — Representative Kevin McCarthy of California contorted himself on Thursday to try to win over right-wing holdouts as his battle to become speaker limped toward a fourth day, offering concessions that would substantially weaken his authority and empower a strident right flank.

After a humiliating three-day stretch of 11 consecutive defeats in an election that is now the most protracted such contest since 1859, Mr. McCarthy dispatched his emissaries to hammer out a deal with the ultraconservative rebels, including agreeing to conditions he had previously refused to countenance in a last-ditch effort to sway a critical mass of defectors.

They included allowing a single lawmaker to force a snap vote at any time to oust the speaker, a rule that would effectively codify a standing threat that Mr. McCarthy would be at the mercy of the right wing at all times, and could be removed instantly if he crossed them.

That concession and several others, which Mr. McCarthy hoped would win over a large bloc of dissidents, would diminish the speaker’s power considerably and make for an unwieldy environment in the House, where the slim Republican majority and a hard-right faction with an appetite for disarray had already promised to make it difficult to govern.

Some of the changes left little doubt that the House would struggle to carry out even its most basic duties in the coming two years, such as funding the government, including the military, or avoiding catastrophic federal debt default. Already, the struggle has ground the House to a halt just as Republicans were assuming their majority, preventing any lawmakers from being sworn in, rules from being adopted or legislative business from being conducted.

Lawmakers were losing their security clearances, and a House committee confirmed that, if no resolution were reached by next week, congressional aides working for committees could not be paid, since the House would lack authority to process payroll on Jan. 13, the next payroll deadline.

[ :snippity: Update is much longer...]
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

There are supposedly 4 GOP who have to leave town tomorrow, this is why there was some discussion of taking a 3 day recess. Not sure what will happen now, maybe they will try to stay.

Return to “Current Politics”