💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Ben-Prime »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:44 am Elise Stefanik (Rumor is she wants to slip through and become Speaker)
Highly ambitious for the woman I think most consider in the running for the dubious honor of "the Ted Cruz of the House". i.e., with specific respect about what Al Franken used to say about Ted.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Dr. Ken

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Dr. Ken »

Each time McCarthy is losing a single vote.

This will only take about 140 different votes.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

McCarthy allies talking to some of the 20 opposition members on the floor

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
House GOP Kevin McCarthy's allies — including Republican Reps. Jim Jordan, Mike Gallagher, Jason Smith, Barry Loudermilk and others — have been seen throughout the vote today on the House floor trying to negotiate with some of the 20 GOP lawmakers who oppose McCarthy, including Reps. Andy Harris, Ralph Norman, Matt Gaetz and Scott Perry.

The conversation between Gaetz and Gallagher has attracted a crowd in the middle of the floor, and Gaetz appears to be speaking animatedly.

GOP Rep. Byron Donalds was also seen talking to other McCarthy allies, Reps. Jodey Arrington and Lisa McClain.

These conversations on the floor show how Republicans are grasping to make deals and get unified behind a speaker.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

McCarthy nominated for speaker in 5th round of voting.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The House of Representatives has begun its fifth round of voting for speaker.

Democrats are united around their nominee Rep. Hakeem Jeffries.

Republicans have nominated Rep. Kevin McCarthy, who has now failed to get the majority four times in a stalemate that has now stretched into its second day after the House adjourned after three consecutive votes Tuesday.

Republicans have also again nominated Rep. Byron Donalds in opposition to McCarthy. Donalds received 20 votes during the fourth ballot earlier today.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Earlier I said 6 republican present votes would give Jeffries the speaker-ship... but honestly I'm not sure if its 6 or 12. A present vote reduces the total needed, but by 1 or 0.5? I'm not sure.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

At least the numbers are getting more interesting to follow.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Curses. Foiled again.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm just not very good at this, tried to make a poll on how many votes it will take to select a speaker, but it would not take.

So, I'll guess they'll figure it out on the 43rd ballot. :rotflmao:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Suranis, every two present votes equal one less vote needed. One Member passed away so Sparks made it two so it went to 217.

MAGAts are starting to freak out about the possibility that Kevin is possibly negotiating with Democrats. The Hill published something and after getting whacked published an "Editor's Note" :lol:

The rank-and-file Republicans must have loved Bobo's nomination speech for Bryan. McCarthy and his cronies built this fuc*ing mess, instead of isolating and disclaiming the insurrectionists and stupid MAGAts he went to Mar a Lago and kept feeding them. He has nobody but himself to blame. And it's fabulous. Seeing the split screen of Biden/McConnell with an important new bridge from Kentucky to Ohio with the bipartisan Infrastructure Bill, vs. the chaos and failure of the MAGA GOP House is fantastic.

Now it's five failed votes for Kevin. Democrats have whipped not letting them adjourn. Watching Kevin lose over and over and over and over and over :P is exactly what these MAGAts deserve. "Democrats Win Again in 2024" :towel:
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Don Bacon just said the same thing on TV. He said they have some names in mind as bipartisan consensus candidates.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Donalds already has 13 votes so unless a bunch of democrats vote present McCarthy has lost again.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

This is only Donalds' second term. He has two years experience and they want to make him Speaker bc.....Jeffries?

:brickwallsmall:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Steve Kornacki sure is busy these last two days.
bob

Post by bob »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:12 pm Suranis, every two present votes equal one less vote needed. One Member passed away so Sparks made it two so it went to 217.
That's basically it; e.g.:
McCarthy: 213
Jeffries: 212
Present/not voting/vacant: 10

... and McCarthy wins. So with very good vote whipping, a few minority-majority members could still vote their conscience. But not all: some of the holdouts will have to affirmatively vote for McCarthy.

Democrats have whipped not letting them adjourn.
It only takes a simple majority to vote to adjourn. So the Republicans ought to ram through a vote to adjourn, and not air their dirty laundry on CSPAN.

That McCarthy doesn't believe he has the votes even for an adjournment is ... interesting. :popcorn:
Image ImageImage
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Donalds once again has 20 votes.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The 5th vote results are the same as the 4th vote results.

Volkonski wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:21 pm Jeffries 212, McCarthy 201, Donalds 20.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Just posted that one to Political Toons topic, and my only regret is that there wasn't one checked picture of Nancy Pelosi. Just to twist the knife.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Keep shooting yourself in the foot, sooner or later you're gonna run out of foot.
bob

Post by bob »

Interesting.

If the first nine pro-McCarthy Republicans voted present (or didn't vote), McCarthy could win 213-212-10,* provided the holdouts gave up their position. But one more present/not vote (from any Republican) would make it 212-212-11; no winner; another round.

Or, as the second tweet suggests, the holdouts could essentially invite Jeffries to be Speaker until a Republican majority finally selects a compromise candidate and later moves to vacate Jeffries.

* One seat is vacant due to a death.
Image ImageImage
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Kevin McCarthy nominated for a 6th ballot
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Gaetz demanded subcommittee gavel from McCarthy, CNN learns

CNN is learning about some of Rep. Matt Gaetz's demands from Kevin McCarthy on Monday evening before the speaker’s vote.

He demanded a subcommittee gavel on the powerful House Armed Services Committee, a source said, which McCarthy rejected.

This has enraged some other Republicans, who say the hardliners came to McCarthy with personal asks.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The 6th round of voting has begun.
Volkonski wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:33 pm Kevin McCarthy nominated for a 6th ballot

Return to “Current Politics”