💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Volkonski
Verified:

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Volkonski »

Trump calls for all Republicans to back McCarthy for Speaker

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3797 ... -mccarthy/
Former President Trump called on House Republicans to unite behind House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.) for the Speakership, announcing early Wednesday that he is standing by McCarthy despite opposition from some hard-line members of the party.

Trump said in a Truth Social post that “some really good conversations” were held Tuesday night, and all House Republicans should vote for McCarthy, “close the deal” and “take the victory.”

“REPUBLICANS, DO NOT TURN A GREAT TRIUMPH INTO A GIANT & EMBARRASSING DEFEAT. IT’S TIME TO CELEBRATE, YOU DESERVE IT. Kevin McCarthy will do a good job, and maybe even a GREAT JOB – JUST WATCH!” he said.

Trump’s announcement comes after McCarthy said Tuesday night that the former president had reiterated his support for him. Trump declined to say whether he would still support McCarthy earlier Tuesday in an interview with NBC News.
Will be embarrassing for Trump if they still won't vote for McCarthy.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
jemcanada2

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by jemcanada2 »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:44 am Okey-dokey, having watched the GOP ratfu*k, have a pretty good idea of who is being considered. So the Poll Answers include:

Who Will Be Speaker of the 118th Congress?

Kevin McCarthy
Steve Scalise
Gym Jordan
Elise Stefanik (Rumor is she wants to slip through and become Speaker)
Another Freedom Caucus Member (Matt Gaetz, Chip Roy, Scott Perry, other idiots)
Fred Upton (Left Congress but was a Moderate, several brought his name up)
Another non-Member of Congress (explain)
Hakeem Jeffries or another Democrat
Trump (haha)
Nobody Wins - Power Sharing Agreement, Change to Plurality, Other Options
No Jimmy down the hall option? :batting: :batting: :lovestruck:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

:lol: Jem, only allows 10 options ;)

What a disaster for the MAGA GOP. Word is Kevin wants to adjourn again until tomorrow, Pete Sessions just said the "rebels" have GAINED votes.

Even Biden, flying to Kentucky for the bridge event with Moscow Mitch, is calling them out.

We are going to slaughter them for the next two years over this. Every bogus "investigation", every ridiculous squirrel chase, and Democrats are going to point out that Democrats governed and passed massive infrastructure (bipartisan), stimulus (helped every American), healthcare (insulin, extension of ACA subsidies), electoral reform, and more and more and more. With the SAME margin of votes. Let's go, MAGA GOP, let's see the Wins you put up on the board. Don't forget -- the "Democrats Will Win Again in 2024" topic is live and just quietly waiting... :smoking:

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

If the Republicans were to elect a speaker who was not a member of the House, would the Democrats have any recourse?

I know that it has never happened, and I also know that the Constitution merely says that the House may elect its own speaker but is silent as to the qualifications or eligibility to the office, but are there legal or constitutional grounds to object to such a move?

Who would they object TO? If the House were to do such a thing, appealing to them would be pointless. Federal courts, including SCOTUS might very well sidestep the issue, calling it a political issue or simply a question of House rules, neither of which the courts will take on.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

I think the risk there is, unless the outsider does a perfect job as Speaker, the voters will remember the idiots who voted for her (or possibly him ;)) for a couple of election cycles.
Katie Porter '28
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

There's no requirement that the Speaker has to be a House member. The MAGA GOP House theoretically has the votes. But will rank-and-file non-insane Members vote for an outsider? There are tons of background issues, from fundraising to whip counting to housekeeping issues, that require some background and experience. So while it's possible, it would put Republicans even further behind while that person is getting up to speed. Kevin knows from being minority leader those intricacies, it's another reason why it's hilarious they are taking the job away from him. And if they did it, Democrats will go wild and say they don't even have a qualified Speaker within their ranks. Horrible position they are in. What a shame.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
McCarthy allies want to adjourn for the day but he may not have the votes to delay a fourth ballot, sources say
House Democrats are urging their members to vote against a motion to adjourn because they want to force a floor vote on Kevin McCarthy.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Luke

Post by Luke »

No fu*king way Democrats are going to let them adjourn. They built this and they need to roll around in their muck. Mike Gallagher is making a fool of himself in his nomination speech of Kevin, proudly saying "Democracy is messy" and how wrong it is that Democrats are tweeting bags of popcorn. P0rtia's favorite, Elise Stefanik, of course, is right behind him to get her camera time. Kevin looks pathetic. It's delicious.

Even hardcore MAGAts are pissed off.

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

I will note, with some dismay, that the only woman on Orlylicious's poll is Elise Stefanik. That's not because Orlylicious is a member of the male hierarchical power structure in the Republican Party. :nope:

No, seriously. :lol:

It's because Republicans are still sexist monsters, that's where. Orlylicious couldn't find any other femalian candy dates with a chance (and imho Elise doesn't have a chance).

I mean, Elise ... Ronna ... Kari Lake ... Laura Ingraham. These are the best women the GOP has to offer. I'm not even gonna include Ivanka or Melanie.

Sad. :biggrin:
Katie Porter '28
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Here we go again. :popcorn:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Eight republicans have already voted for Rep. Donalds so if all the democrats vote, McCarthy will lose the 4th vote.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Chuck Todd just said Donald Trump was so helpful to Kevin McCarthy that it got him not a single new vote. HaHaHa. Usually I loathe Todd but I will give him credit for good snark.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

No one seems sure if all are present today. That changes the numbers.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

At the beginning the Clerk said a quorum of 351 was present. I think more have wandered in though.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

SuzieC wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:52 pm At the beginning the Clerk said a quorum of 351 was present. I think more have wandered in though.
Thanks.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:13 pm There's no requirement that the Speaker has to be a House member. The MAGA GOP House theoretically has the votes. But will rank-and-file non-insane Members vote for an outsider? There are tons of background issues, from fundraising to whip counting to housekeeping issues, that require some background and experience. So while it's possible, it would put Republicans even further behind while that person is getting up to speed. Kevin knows from being minority leader those intricacies, it's another reason why it's hilarious they are taking the job away from him. And if they did it, Democrats will go wild and say they don't even have a qualified Speaker within their ranks. Horrible position they are in. What a shame.
The requirements would suggest at least a former member of the House ...

► Show Spoiler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I know I'm a day behind, but I'd love for some snarky reporter to ask Stefanik why she wouldn't sit with her bestie, Santos, yesterday.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Donalds now has 20 votes. Looks like Trump failed to switch any votes to McCarthy.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The Republicans gave Byron Donalds a standing ovation for being black. The Dingbat caucus slaps itself on the back for the fact that there are 2, yes 2 black Americans nominated for speaker. :roll:

Gaetz is here really smashing his hands together and encouraging people to stand and applaud. And behind him, some guy moves forward blocking (what I assume is) the Guy they are applauding from the view of the TV camera. Marvellous image management from the life support system for a Forehead.

Aaron Rupar@atrupar
Gaetz is really trying to make Speaker Byron Donalds happen
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:01 pm
orlylicious wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:13 pm There's no requirement that the Speaker has to be a House member. The MAGA GOP House theoretically has the votes. But will rank-and-file non-insane Members vote for an outsider? There are tons of background issues, from fundraising to whip counting to housekeeping issues, that require some background and experience. So while it's possible, it would put Republicans even further behind while that person is getting up to speed. Kevin knows from being minority leader those intricacies, it's another reason why it's hilarious they are taking the job away from him. And if they did it, Democrats will go wild and say they don't even have a qualified Speaker within their ranks. Horrible position they are in. What a shame.
The requirements would suggest at least a former member of the House ...

► Show Spoiler
I think she has earned her rest. I know she's a real go-getter, but I'll bet she's happy in "retirement."
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Jeffries 212, McCarthy 201, Donalds 20.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

CNN is saying that the present vote means Keven has lost one vote. It could also mean the first of a move to present votes, which McCarthy needs to lower his vote total. But he needs a lot more to do that. Either 9 or 11 to vote present for Kevin to win. Kornaki explained it a while ago, but I can't remember which one it was.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

A strategy of going for "present" votes is dangerous. If 6 Republicans vote Present and no Democrats, we have Speaker Jeffries.
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

GOP Rep. Victoria Spartz voted present, dropping threshold to win speakership to 217

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html

GOP Rep. Victoria Spartz voted present, meaning she abstained from voting, during the fourth ballot for House speakership.
This is significant because it drops the threshold Kevin McCarthy needs to 217, but he is still far from that.

She had previously backed McCarthy, so her voting present is not a good sign. She didn’t vote when her name was initially called. She voted present after speaking to GOP Rep. Patrick McHenry, one of Kevin McCarthy’s deputies.

More background: A majority of those present and voting is required to get the speakership, which is usually 218 lawmakers. But if enough people skip the vote or vote “present,” the number of votes required for a majority can drop.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Suranis wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:27 pm A strategy of going for "present" votes is dangerous. If 6 Republicans vote Present and no Democrats, we have Speaker Jeffries.
Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

Return to “Current Politics”