💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Slim Cognito
Verified:

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Slim Cognito »

Donalds is an opportunistic asshole. He's my rep, a Black Republican who never showed his face in any ads. His campaign signs all highlighted his last name, in big red block letters using the same font trump used in his signs. In 2020, the first time he ran, after Mooney decided being a rep wasn't as much fun as he thought it would be, Donalds put out a statement saying he couldn't wait to work with trump.
ImageImageImage x4
sad-cafe

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by sad-cafe »

its the repukes

they are dumb all the time
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

orlylicious wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:21 pm OMG hadn't seen that clip p0rtia, just saw the tweet. This AI stuff is getting scary af.
:snippity:
shocking defeat
Inbox Hakeem Jeffries <info@collectivepac.org>
4:42 PM (35 minutes ago) to me
If you want to help The Collective PAC build Black political power up and down the ballot, and across the country, then you’re in the right place. :snippity:
:popcorn:
The Dems still need to learn the full playbook - the mysterious entity that willl automagickally make the donations x10, x20 ... x∞ ;)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

About the only thing I'm sure about for tomorrow is that Jeffries will get 212 votes. :rotflmao:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.wonkette.com/matt-gaetz-kev ... eaker-vote
Matt Gaetz Saying BENGHAZI LIBELS!11!!1 And Other Scenes From A Really Neat Day In Congress

From what we can tell by looking at Twitter, pretty much everybody is just real mad and angry. McCarthy admitted this morning in the private GOP caucus meeting that actually it's probably more like 20 people voting against him.
CNN REPORTER MELANIE ZANONA TWEET: McCarthy swore in his speech, dropping a “god damnit.” And he made clear he would negotiate no more. McCarthy also said opponents came to him with “personal asks” last night. Lauren boebert yelled in response to speech: “BULL SHIT”
That's right, swears all around!

Meanwhile Matt Gaetz is telling Kevin McCarthy that actually he doesn't care if Democratic leader Hakeem Jeffries becomes speaker. McCarthy supporter/establishment Republican/elder statesman Marjorie Taylor Greene is going off on EVERYONE and accusing Gaetz and Boebert and the rest of the clown caucus of being "destructionists" who don't even care about America. Dan Crenshaw is calling Gaetz 'n' pals "enemies now."
GAETZ: Our position is that if Kevin McCarthy is the speaker of the House, and we don't have an ability to ensure that there is oomph behind the agenda, and energy behind our oversight, that the committee assignments don't mean that much anyway. I'm not here to participate in some puppet show where we pass a bunch of messaging bills, send them to the Senate, watch them die, fail to use leverage, and don't hold the Biden administration accountable.

I don't want to relive the Benghazi experience where it's just theater pretending to be oversight.
Hahahahahaha, you hear that, Trey Gowdy and Mike Pompeo and all you other dumbfucks who were on that committee and wasted all America's time and money for one million years and also 11 FREAKING HOURS on one day in 2015?

Matt Gaetz is dying on this hill because he doesn't want the new Congress's endless investigations into the length, circumference and general perkiness of Hunter Biden's penis shaft to be like the Benghazi investigations, mere theater pretending to be oversight. He wants them to MEAN SOMETHING.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

orlylicious wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:46 pm Cope from RSBN:
Julie Kelly 🇺🇸 @julie_kelly2 44m
Republican voters voted for Republicans to put up a fight, not to install Kevin McCarthy. Even if this fails, it shows spine, passion, and sense of risk that’s sorely lacking among Republicans in Washington.
I'm pretty sure there are some republican voters who voted because they wanted to actually accomplish something, not running around fighting and nothing more. This is the Trump GOP, where it is all about being seen as a fighter but not actually doing anything.

I would rather have somebody who, on the surface, may not appear to be a fighter but can get things done. Obama would not qualify as a fighter to them, but he got ACA through and the GOP has not been able to kill it. He didn't need to fight; he needed to win. He also had the military off bin Laden which is rather fighter-like.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
I am going to suggest - since we had a major discussion on the topic during the Virtual Meetup tonight - that Orlylicious add a poll to the topic, with options for how this will ultimately be resolved. Or if you are bizzy, Orly, say the word.
For the record, I'm hoping for 133 votes without electing a Speaker, just like they did in 1856 or whenever, at the rate of three votes per day, like today.

Ol' Wifehorn swears that the Democrats won't make any deals to put McC over the line. I don't think any Republicans are going to cross over and put Hakeem in the chair.

And those are just three of the utterly ridiculous things that might happen. :thumbsup:

It would be irresponsible not to speculate, and the most fun you can have speculating is to answer a poll! :liar:
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Third Grandma reads Wonkette :lovestruck:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Sure, go ahead and add the poll, Foggy, I'm not sure what y'all discussed as the options for the poll. Or let me know how which options to add. Great idea.

Matt Gaetz is such a little jerk, here's Matt asking about Kevin moving into the Speaker's office. :lol: They are really showing their governing priorities.

Gaetz photo_2023-01-03_21-54-02.jpg
Gaetz photo_2023-01-03_21-54-02.jpg (65.5 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:59 pm So the Tweet above that Orly posted, with Santos all alone with no one to talk to?

Click on the Tweet.

Scroll down to the first replay.

Turn the sound on.

Click play.

:faint:
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Greatgrey

Post by Greatgrey »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:13 pm

For the record, I'm hoping for 133 votes without electing a Speaker, just like they did in 1856 or whenever, at the rate of three votes per day, like today.

Ol' Wifehorn swears that the Democrats won't make any deals to put McC over the line. I don't think any Republicans are going to cross over and put Hakeem in the chair.

And those are just three of the utterly ridiculous things that might happen. :thumbsup:

It would be irresponsible not to speculate, and the most fun you can have speculating is to answer a poll! :liar:
I agree with her, Dems aren’t gonna make any deals to help the Goopers.

Did ya see Gosar & Gaetz ask AOC when the Dems we’re gonna leave so the threshold would drop, and she told both of them the Dems weren’t going anywhere.
bob

Post by bob »

Greatgrey wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:06 pm I agree with her, Dems aren’t gonna make any deals to help the Goopers.
:fingerwag: :

If Fitton said so, it must be true! :roll:
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I watched the interview with Alex Wagner. That's not exactly what she said.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Greatgrey

Post by Greatgrey »

bob wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:12 pm
If Fitton said so, it must be true! :roll:
This guy?

SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Who TF is Tom Fitton? AOC told Gosar that Dems would NEVER leave the floor to allow vote threshold to go down to allow McCarthy's election.
bob

Post by bob »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:27 pm Who TF is Tom Fitton?
Head of Judicial Watch (he ousted Klayman decades ago) and MAGA water carrier.
AOC told Gosar that Dems would NEVER leave the floor to allow vote threshold to go down to allow McCarthy's election.
That was today; I remain open to a smoked-filled backroom deal being hatched tonight.
Image ImageImage
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I looked for an explination for this crap. So I found this from 2015.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/b ... aker-house
Win a majority vote.

To be the next speaker, a person needs a majority of the votes from House members who are present and voting. (See this useful Congressional Research Service (CRS) report for more detail. https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL30857.pdf ) That means that while a majority is 218 votes in the House, a person could become speaker with fewer votes if several members do not attend the vote. That was the case earlier this year when Boehner won the gavel for the current session of Congress with 216 votes. It’s a party line vote. Typically, each party votes for one nominee, and the party with the most seats gets to choose the speaker. In a foretelling of things to come (http://pbs.us1.list-manage.com/track/cl ... 89e18fcc06), 25 Republicans voted for someone other than Boehner earlier this year. Nearly all the Democrats voted for Nancy Pelosi of California, who was speaker before Boehner.
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Pelosi should have stayed moved in until the vote is decided, then moved out slowly.
much ado

Post by much ado »

I found this NYTimes article useful.

Gift link: How the Speaker’s Election Could Devolve Into Chaos
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... n-deniers/
The tally reflects the degree to which election deniers dominate the House Republican caucus, accounting for more than three-quarters of the 222-person conference. A significant majority of McCarthy’s 202 votes — 157 — came from election deniers. But with Republicans holding only a slender majority, any Republican seeking to lead the House must garner near-unanimous support from the caucus’s deniers in order to succeed.

McCarthy (R-Calif.) himself embraced false claims that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump. So did Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), who received votes from the 20 defectors on the third ballot.

The two Republicans voting against McCarthy who are not deniers are Chip Roy of Texas, the only returning member in the group who did not oppose the certification of President Biden’s victory; and Josh Brecheen of Oklahoma, a newcomer to the House.

The 14 returning election deniers who voted against McCarthy are: Andrew S. Clyde of Georgia; Paul A. Gosar and Andy Biggs of Arizona; Matt Gaetz and Byron Donalds of Florida; Lauren Boebert (Colo.), Mary E. Miller (Ill.), Andy Harris (Md.), Matthew M. Rosendale (Mont.), Dan Bishop (N.C.), Scott Perry (Pa.), Ralph Norman (S.C.), Michael Cloud (Tex.) and Bob Good (Va.).

The four newcomers who voted against McCarthy are Eli Crane (Ariz.), Anna Paulina Luna (Fla.), Andy Ogles (Tenn.) and Keith Self (Tex.).

Throughout the midterm election cycle, The Post identified candidates as election deniers if they questioned Biden’s 2020 victory, opposed the counting of his electoral college votes, expressed support for a partisan post-election ballot review, signed onto a lawsuit seeking to overturn the 2020 result, or attended or expressed support for the rally on the day of the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

bob wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:29 pm
SuzieC wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:27 pm Who TF is Tom Fitton?
Head of Judicial Watch (he ousted Klayman decades ago) and MAGA water carrier.
AOC told Gosar that Dems would NEVER leave the floor to allow vote threshold to go down to allow McCarthy's election.
That was today; I remain open to a smoked-filled backroom deal being hatched tonight.
Don't believe it for one second.
bob

Post by bob »

NYT:
The drawn-out elevation of Mr. Banks to the speakership — a process that began in 1855 and ended in 1856 — was likened by the office of the House historian to a “recurring nightmare.”

The first vote began on a Monday in December 1855, with lawmakers holding four votes that day. There were “five more on Tuesday, six more on Wednesday, another six on Thursday, six again on Friday, and six more on Saturday,” according to the office.

Mr. Banks was not elected until early February 1856, a period in which no other congressional business was conducted. The stretch included a three-hour question-and-answer session for speaker candidates over the spread of slavery to the western territories.

The speaker race ended only after lawmakers, no doubt exhausted by their marathon voting sessions, approved a resolution creating a plurality winner. Mr. Banks won with just 103 votes.
I don't think the Republicans will agree to a plurality vote this time around.*

* Banks was a member of the American ("Know Nothing") Party when elected Speaker.
Image ImageImage
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Off Topic
I know people will roll their eyes at Me bringing this up, but it reminds me of the situation in 1268 where a college of Roman Catholic Cardinal-Electors met to elect a new Pope. But they met and were unable to agree for three goddam years. In increasing frustration the people reduced their rations to bread and water and still the stubborn gits refused to agree. Finally they removed the roof so the Cardinal-Electors would sit in the rain, and that did it. Three of the twenty cardinal-electors died and one resigned while this was going on.

Now that's the way REAL Men and Women resolve this kid of situation. :oldman:

Of course saying "stubborn" is overly simplistic. There was a lot of pressure from various Monarchies (who owned really sharp swords) on the Conclave, and different parties in the Church fighting. But still, kinda ludicrous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1268%E2%8 ... l_election
Hic sunt dracones
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:19 pm
SuzieC wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:14 pm I am not so sure that he will squeak in. Although it will be disastrous for America, right now my mood is Cry Havoc! And let loose the dogs of war.

Let the people see what Republicans are like when they attempt to govern.

(Mostly I just wanted to get to 600 posts. I know, piker compared to the rest of you.)
6-0-0!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!! I would enjoy seeing you post moar!
Thanks!! Luv you TRL. I made a huge effort today because it was an exciting day in our political arena. I'm sure there will be more to come because I just can't help myself and no one else is as interested/obsessed with politics as you Fogbowsers. I majored in poli sci in college and it was prescient. Why am I not a person who pays no attention to politics?

Return to “Current Politics”