Hijack This Thread

Patagoniagirl

Hijack This Thread

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Thank you.

It has been a long seven years. In that time I buried myself. I didn't go out, I didn't make new friends or join any groups or organizations. I drank. Emerging just lately from my self-induced fog, I'm feeling good about things and feel able and willing to take positive steps for happiness (hopefully).

I also have to be realistic. My son who was terribly disabled in an accident...his case was dismissed because the case filed was outside the limits of liability!?! Anywho...I have been researching living trust for my property and vehicle. Not much but hopefully it will give my son a place and a purpose. I want to creat a trust that gives my son ownership, but with my brother as kind of an overseer for it, for the benefit of my son.

I didn't think he had any brain damage, though I did realize the traumatic incident caused severe PTSD. He screams at night from nightmares of the accident and long (ongoing) survivors guilt.

He pays his child support and has 460 a month to live on. Hence he lives with me. He can't afford to travel to see his son and I am on a tight budget so I cannot help in that way. But I can give him a comfortable home and support.

I've recently gotten some "sobering" news as to my longevity so it's time to put things in order. I've gotten my mother comfortably situated. My eldest is doing well. So that is comforting to me.

I guess I am tapping out my thoughts here and hope someone here has some real-life experience with trusts.

Lastly, as odd as this may sound, the most comforting advice and having people reaching out to me from The Fogbow has been an enormous kindness.

Thank you.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:01 am So this crazy thing happened today:
Woah... that's trippy!
Sam the Centipede

Hijack This Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:36 am Lastly, as odd as this may sound, the most comforting advice and having people reaching out to me from The Fogbow has been an enormous kindness.
I rarely have reason to respond to your posts (simply because I have nothing to contribute to the issue in play), but I have always enjoyed (or appreciated when enjoyment inappropriate!) your contributions. And your woes sadden me, I hope life improves for you … or at least doesn't deteriorate. :bighug: :kiss:

It's clear that quite a few Fogfolk benefit from having somewhere to either discuss or just write about their personal and domestic problems, somewhere where they feel safe and welcome. If the forum keeps those people feeling more centered and engaged in a difficult world, then it is doing a great service, and long may it continue. And it's probably more beneficial overall than snark about long-irrelevant birthers and other clowns! I know I don't participate much in those aspects (never on meet-ups, virtual or otherwise, I keep my personal issues to myself, I rarely have useful advice to offer, etc.) but good for all of you who do! :clap: :bighug:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:36 am Lastly, as odd as this may sound, the most comforting advice and having people reaching out to me from The Fogbow has been an enormous kindness.

Thank you.
:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Patagoniagirl - Many hugs and warm thoughts to you and yours. :bighug: :bighug:

A lawyer can set up the trust you need. Check out your local Access to Justice organization or Legal Services for the elderly or the disabled. You and your son both may qualify. Attorneys hired by these programs or who volunteer their time can help you.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hijack This Thread

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:11 am
Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:01 am So this crazy thing happened today:
Woah... that's trippy!
Go buy a Mega Millions lottery ticket while you're in the zone!!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Patagoniagirl

Hijack This Thread

Post by Patagoniagirl »

My earlier post suggests, I guess, that life has been awful, and that is not the truth. Yeah, rotten shit happened, but my last several years have been interspersed with incredible joys. I just need to be responsible and proactive for not only my kids, but for me. That's been a difficult balance at times.

I am lucky. I still have my children and parents alive and close. I have a home and vehicle and an income that allows me to be able to pay utilities, property taxes and food. Lotsa folk these days don't even have that. So, yeah, I am fortunate and grateful for that fortune. I never meant to "poor me". If it came across like that, I apologize.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hijack This Thread

It did not come across as "poor me" at all. It came across as a friend telling her friends what's happening in her life. That's what friends are for. :biggrin:
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

IANAL but is it a Special Needs Trust that you require? My husband and I discussed that at one time for his brother with Down Syndrome. :shrug:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

;)

Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

:( :( :(

Funky Winkerbean ends today, after five decades

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment ... cades.html
Don’t miss today’s Funky Winkerbean comic strip. It’s the last in a 50-plus-year run. Medina resident and cartoonist Tom Batiuk started the strip in 1972, three years after graduating from Kent State University, where he studied fine art. He announced in November that Funky Winkerbean would end on Dec. 31, 2022.

The original strip appeared in 78 newspapers. Today, Funky Winkerbean is distributed by North America Syndicate, a division of King Features Syndicate, and appears in 400 newspapers worldwide, including The Plain Dealer. It also appears online at cleveland.com/comics-kingdom.

The final Sunday strip, which ran on Dec. 25, shows more than 50 characters gathering at a church concert. Among them are Batiuk, his wife Cathy, and retired Akron Beacon-Journal editorial cartoonist Chuck Ayers, who has penciled the strip since 1994 and also has collaborated with Batiuk on the spinoff comic strip, “Crankshaft.”

Ayers is retiring but Batiuk will still write the Crankshaft strip -- with artist Dan Davis. In an interview in November, he said he would like to focus on more collections of Funky and Crankshaft. Volume 12 of “The Complete Funky Winkerbean” book was released on Nov. 15, and “while nothing is set in stone yet, he is in discussions to produce a collection of “Crankshaft” strips as well.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

My Mister and I have been together for 26 years and today is our 15th wedding anniversary. The good thing is he’s still just as cute and lovable today as he was back when I had no intention of getting involved with him or anyone else for that matter. :nope: But he was very persistent and we were content just living together for a long time.

Then one day when his British half of the family all came across the pond and at the same time his daughters were home for Christmas and my boys had just returned from a brother's cross-country road trip to the Grand Canyon he says, “everyone is here at the same time and that’s probably never going to happen again so why don’t we just get married?” Well we found a Commissioner of Marriage and got married two days later with everyone there and then we went to the doughnut shop! :lol: So far we haven't all been together again at the same time since then, but maybe someday! :daydreaming:

AND for our anniversary dinner tonight we're steaming crab legs and shrimp and having hush puppies with melted butter. YUM! :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Nice story. Congratulations!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

:bighug:
Happy New Year too.
Patagoniagirl

Hijack This Thread

Post by Patagoniagirl »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:50 pm My Mister and I have been together for 26 years and today is our 15th wedding anniversary. The good thing is he’s still just as cute and lovable today as he was back when I had no intention of getting involved with him or anyone else for that matter. :nope: But he was very persistent and we were content just living together for a long time.

Then one day when his British half of the family all came across the pond and at the same time his daughters were home for Christmas and my boys had just returned from a brother's cross-country road trip to the Grand Canyon he says, “everyone is here at the same time and that’s probably never going to happen again so why don’t we just get married?” Well we found a Commissioner of Marriage and got married two days later with everyone there and then we went to the doughnut shop! :lol: So far we haven't all been together again at the same time since then, but maybe someday! :daydreaming:

AND for our anniversary dinner tonight we're steaming crab legs and shrimp and having hush puppies with melted butter. YUM! :thumbsup:
What a lovely story! Gave me some good smiles! ❤️
Lani

Hijack This Thread

Post by Lani »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:03 am Patagoniagirl - Many hugs and warm thoughts to you and yours. :bighug: :bighug:

A lawyer can set up the trust you need. Check out your local Access to Justice organization or Legal Services for the elderly or the disabled. You and your son both may qualify. Attorneys hired by these programs or who volunteer their time can help you.
A couple of years ago, the county elderly affairs department & Legal Aid offered wills and more for people 65 & over. I took advantage of it. I gave a copy of the will to my son.( He didn't handle it well. He scrunched it up and left in the car. ) Now I'm much older and in poor condition. So I'm requesting a new will and a trust from Legal Aid. It's free.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:50 pm My Mister and I have been together for 26 years and today is our 15th wedding anniversary. The good thing is he’s still just as cute and lovable today as he was back when I had no intention of getting involved with him or anyone else for that matter. :nope: But he was very persistent and we were content just living together for a long time.
Happy Anniversary!! I hope you and Mr. have MANY more happy years to come!
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hijack This Thread

Happy Anniversary to Mr. and Ms. Daisy!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Yes, Happy Anniversary!
You are what you eat.
Last night I was a chicken quesadilla.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

Thank You! :biggrin:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

Then there is this from telegram. HRC has been “executed” and there is VIDEO to “prove” it!

EDITED TO ADD:
IMG_1284.PNG
IMG_1284.PNG (499.91 KiB) Viewed 468 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

I was so excited about Sherlock Holmes I didn’t realize MC Escher’s works also entered the public domain today!!

MC Escher drawing Sky and Water, a tessellation image of a bird at the top that morphs into a fish as you go down the image

https://ohai.social/@dramypsyd/109616444589438205
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Cool!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hijack This Thread

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/1 ... n-he-loved
Hidden Film History: The antifa 'Casablanca' star who defied Goebbels for the Jewish woman he loved

January 2023 marks the 80th anniversary of the release of the film classic Casablanca. The film had its world premiere at the Hollywood Theatre on Nov. 26, 1942, and was released nationally in the U.S. on Jan. 23, 1943.

In real life, Allied forces had liberated Casablanca from the Nazi collaborationist Vichy France regime on Nov. 11, 1942, and from Jan. 14-24, 1943, U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill met in the Moroccan city to plan the Allied strategy for the next phase of World War II.

So who was the biggest antifascist in the cast of Casablanca? It wasn’t any of the obvious suspects: Humphrey Bogart (who played Rick Blaine), Ingrid Bergman (Ilsa Lund), or even Paul Henreid (Victor Laszlo).

Instead, it was the German actor Conrad Veidt, who played Major Heinrich Strasser, one of the most villainous Nazis ever to appear on the silver screen—but in real life, was far from a bad guy.

Veidt was also the highest-paid member of the Casablanca cast, despite playing a supporting role, because he was on loan from MGM and not under contract to Warner Bro. under the studio system of the era.

In 1941, after settling in Hollywood for a second time, Veidt realized that he most likely would be typecast in Nazi roles, so he had his contract mandate that those Nazis must always be villains. After all, these were the people who had forced him to flee his homeland, never to return.

Veidt once described his role as Major Strasser as follows:

“This role epitomizes the cruelty, criminal instincts and murderous trickery of the typical Nazi. I know this man well. He is a man who turned fanatic and betrayed his friends, his homeland, and himself in his lust to be somebody and to get something for nothing.”

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

http://pf.bigpixel.cn/en-US/pano/772196 ... 29984.html
AA50DDBF-F9C0-410B-B502-1CE7AC9398C9.jpeg
AA50DDBF-F9C0-410B-B502-1CE7AC9398C9.jpeg (205.91 KiB) Viewed 418 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “General Stuff”