Weather Alerts

Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Yeah, that's a couple of decade ago, but nothing changes. Note: it's hard to see from the video, but those streets are much steeper than you think.
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:33 pm
That said, ice storms are a different beast, not just for road conditions, but if it hits the trees and sticks, it's D.A.N.G.E.R.O.U.S. The weight will bring the branches/trees down like crazy - ask Azastan, who living closer to Hwy 18 can comment better than I.
I just moved my Kia and the Focus out into a clear space behind the house, away from any of my cedars and Douglas firs.

I remember the really bad ice storm several years ago--driving from Issy-Ho road exit on SR 18 to Federal Way and being just in awe seeing all the alders laying on the ground because they'd snapped off at the ground from the weight of the ice.

We're anticipating a lot of power outages here, from falling trees. We have a good generator, there's plenty of water in the stock tanks, and we have a wood stove, so we should be good.

I expect that a lot of places will be closed tomorrow. Tahoma School District is off until January 2, and I expect if there's any school district still in session, they will cancel tomorrow anyway.

My poor spouse will be heading in to work, though. He's at work now, should get home before it gets too bad, but tomorrow's commute in might be interesting.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

We're all hills here, so we see some of that, too. And most people here are used to winter driving. Ice can be a different animal, though.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
tek

Weather Alerts

Post by tek »

I'm surprised to see Georgia heading the list..
d-1.jpg
d-1.jpg (121.12 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

I am grateful where I live that all of the power and cable stuff are underground and rarely (*knocks wood*) do loose power or cable.

It's still dark, but looking outside it looks like pouring rain, but temp is 28 degrees, so it's likely ice. This is virtually unheard of in my memory:

Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

It's -9 degrees with a 36 below wind chill factor in the south Indy suburbs this morning. Winds are out of the west at 25 to 39 mph. We only got around 2" of snow from what I can tell. I can see grass tips out in the yard but I have a pair of 8 to 12 inch snow drifts running across my patio. I can see the main road heading into town from my back door and there's normally a pretty steady stream of traffic headed north this time of morning but I'm only seeing a lone car every 2 or 3 minutes. We got a reminder from the HOA management yesterday that the city requires we clear our sidewalks. Yeah. That's not going to happen. :roll:
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

I've got power still, which is actually rather amazing. Getting water heated for the mash for the horses before I attempt going out to the barn. I can see I've got ice on my back deck and I am not looking forward to going out there to feed. At least I don't have to try to drive anywhere!
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

SEA runways are currently closed indefinitely as we continue to work to de-ice the surfaces. Safety is our priority before we can reopen the runways. Check with your airline for further updates on your specific flight. 5:10am
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I have a sister who lives in Seattle. 1½ years ago her wife was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Until now the chemo has been effective, but the last CT scan showed that it no longer was. Fortunately, there's a cancer drug research program currently going on in the U.S. which includes a site in Seattle. And this past week, my SIL was accepted into the test program. Yay! But that means that she has to make it to the cancer center in downtown Seattle for procedures. My sister and SIL were there for 10 hours yesterday.

And they had to drive in THIS MORNING - northern edge of Seattle to downtown Seattle! :eek:

I've been texting my sister. She put the chains she has on her pickup's tires (which already are good snow/ice tires), then drove 30mph the whole way down on the interstate. The things you do when you have to!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

It's -3 degrees here now. It doesn't look like there's even an inch of snow. Lots of wind. Temp dropped more than 40 degrees in twelve hours.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

this just happened earlier. car at the top bumped into a parked car causing all four to slide down and play bumper cars

Volume up for that one. Yikes!
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:36 pm I have a sister who lives in Seattle. 1½ years ago her wife was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Until now the chemo has been effective, but the last CT scan showed that it no longer was. Fortunately, there's a cancer drug research program currently going on in the U.S. which includes a site in Seattle. And this past week, my SIL was accepted into the test program. Yay! But that means that she has to make it to the cancer center in downtown Seattle for procedures. My sister and SIL were there for 10 hours yesterday.

And they had to drive in THIS MORNING - northern edge of Seattle to downtown Seattle! :eek:

I've been texting my sister. She put the chains she has on her pickup's tires (which already are good snow/ice tires), then drove 30mph the whole way down on the interstate. The things you do when you have to!
*fingers crossed*

Please let us know they made it home safely.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I have a lot of trouble with cold. Sometimes, even when the guys are warm, I'm huddling under a blanket in my room. Yesterday, it was 7 below here and I was **freezing**. I ended up sleeping 14 hours because I couldn't get warm enough to have any part but my face out from under the blanket, even with my little space heater going at max!
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Weather Alerts

Post by Maybenaut »

It’s 11 degrees and sunny here on the east side of Massanutten Mountain in the Ridge and Valley section of the Appalachian Mountains in Virginia (the Blue Ridge Mountains are to the east and the Allegheny Mountains are to the west). Sustained winds are around 13 knots with gusts over 35 knots.

It’s cold!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

Jeez guys, I know I've been pretty hard on Florida the last couple of years but right now I'm damn glad I'm here. Stay safe everyone. 😳
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

I just came back in from checking on horses (they are doing better than I am) and I used two of my muck tub carts as canes...

It's nasty out there. My husband still plans on going in to work.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

IMG_4320.jpeg
IMG_4320.jpeg (57.05 KiB) Viewed 492 times
The stupid things we do. When I got up this morning 30+ mph winds were howling through my west facing front door. Apparently the weatherstrip has stopped doing its job. I looked for some foam I could stuff in the gap but didn't find anything so I chopped up a cardboard box and stuffed it in the crack. It looks dumb but I don't have much air coming through there now. New weatherstrip ordered.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Weather Alerts

Post by Maybenaut »

Oh, my. We have a lot of stupid fixes around here too.

My husband has a FLIR heat detector, and he’s constantly looking for cold spots, and doing a temporary fix until we can make more permanent repairs. One exterior wall in the living room had zero insulation; that part of the house is cantilevered, and there was no insulation under the floor, either. That all got fixed in the last couple of weeks (thank Dog), but this house is still drafty af.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:37 pm It’s 11 degrees and sunny here :snippity:

It’s cold!
Going down to 11° here tonight, and I have to leave home at 8 a.m.

That's okay. There will be no snow, no ice, the roads will be fine (and totally deserted on an early Saturday morning that's also Christmas Eve).

It will be intensely cold when I go start the car at 7:50. But I haven't lost any of my cold weather gear. I'm good down to -10° or so, after that I support global warming. :blackeye:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Phoenix520 »

Counting my blessings and hoping you stay safe, all of you in the freaking blizzards. 🥶🥶

I have to go to Costco to pick up needed meds. Don’t need gas, darn it, but I wouldn’t wait in the lines either even if I did. Costco recently rejiggered the entrance near the gas tanks to prevent the entrance traffic jams and then prices went up everywhere. It’s 30 mins or more now. I get near-Costco prices with my grocery rewards.

Still going to be 80 on Christmas.
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

There be potty words at the video.

Highly recommend the Seattle Weather Blog on days like this. https://twitter.com/KSeattleWeather
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Oh look, by Thursday it will be back to 55°.

But now it says 10° tonight.

Yikes 😬

Christmas2022.jpg
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

My little weather thingy in my task bar says it's 31 now, with snow off and on. I'll stay inside. I don't want to keep spamming with videos, but the Seattle Weather Blog is worth watching today for reader videos and photos. https://twitter.com/KSeattleWeather
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:36 pm My little weather thingy in my task bar says it's 31 now, with snow off and on. I'll stay inside. I don't want to keep spamming with videos, but the Seattle Weather Blog is worth watching today for reader videos and photos. https://twitter.com/KSeattleWeather
My spouse is about to head into the wilds. He has never missed work due to weather conditions. He's a brave man.

In the meantime, I am staying inside as much as possible, not because it's cold or icy for ME, but every time I go outside, the horses think I am coming to feed them, and they come out into their paddocks instead of staying in their nice dry ice-free stalls,
and I really don't want anyone falling down on the ice :eek: .

Return to “General Stuff”