Russian prisoner Paul Whelan

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

If this isn't the right forum for this thread, mods please move as you please. I know we had a thread on the old board when the Russians first arrested and tried him, but lost when that board died. Sigh.

After his arrest and trial, Whelan kind of got lost in the news cycle until this latest swap with BG and only BG and Whelan once again was left behind. Some background:

https://news.yahoo.com/paul-whelan-105811810.html
A U.S.-Russia prisoner swap of WNBA player Brittney Griner for convicted Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout has put a renewed spotlight on Paul Whelan, another American detained by the Kremlin. U.S. officials say that despite their best efforts, they haven't been able to secure his release. Is Whelan's conviction for alleged espionage making negotiations more difficult? Here's everything you need to know:

Who is Paul Whelan?
Paul Whelan, 52, is a U.S. citizen who has been detained in Russia on espionage charges for the past four years. Whelan, a former U.S. Marine, also has citizenship in Ireland, Britain, and Canada. He worked in law enforcement before and after his military service. At the time of his arrest, Whelan was working as the director of global security for BorgWarner, an auto parts supplier based in Michigan.
Whelan served in the Marine Corps Reserve from 1994 to 2008. While serving in the Marines, he did two deployments to Iraq and rose to the rank of staff sergeant. He worked as an administrative clerk and chief before being discharged in 2008 for bad conduct. The Marine Corps found him guilty of multiple charges, including attempting to steal $10,000 from the U.S. government while deployed to Iraq in 2006, according to records obtained by The Washington Post.

Whelan's family says he first visited Russia while stationed in Iraq and returned to visit the country often over the past few years. Several of Whelan's Russian acquaintances described him as a friendly man with a great appreciation for Russia and a basic command of their language, per the Post.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/who-is ... t-exchange

The Fox version. Granted it's early and I'm still waking up, but I don't seem to see any mention of his departure from the Marines, which is similar to what's being touted by the Rs all over the internet, along with the memory lapse that Whelan was a prisoner for what, two years? under tfg's administration and they did nothing to try to get him home.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

For all the MAGA frauds who used Paul Whelan to try and score political points on Britney Griner.

Rep. Nehls: “I find the timing of this interesting. We pass this Marriage Equality Act & it’s interesting Britney Griner comes home that day. You want to get Paul Whelan home, Joe Biden - why don’t you call Donald Trump. He’ll get Whelan home, and he’ll have him home in a week.

The first time Kevin McCarthy ever mentioned “Paul Whelan” in a tweet was today.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Paul Whelan was in a Russian prison during most of the Trump presidency and he never freed him, never once said his name, and never once tweeted about him.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Comer: This bizarre prisoner swap, that clearly was in the benefit of Russia, is another example of why we need to investigate to see if the administration is compromised.
Another investigation!!
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Paul Whelan is from my hometown
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:51 am Paul Whelan is from my hometown
Novi or AA? Those folks from the east side of the state are weird. ;)
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

To no non-Trumpy's surprise, a Paul Whelan exchange is more complicated because the Russians want more.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/09/politics ... index.html
CNN

Russia refused to release Paul Whelan alongside Brittney Griner unless a former colonel from Russia’s domestic spy organization currently in German custody was also released as part of any prisoner swap, US officials told CNN, even as the US offered up the names of several other Russian prisoners in US custody that they would be willing to trade.

The US was unable to deliver on the request for the ex-colonel, Vadim Krasikov, because he is serving out a life sentence for murder in Germany.

US officials made quiet inquiries to the Germans about whether they might be willing to include Krasikov in the trade, a senior German government source told CNN earlier this year. But ultimately, the US was not able to secure Krasikov’s release. The German government was not willing to seriously consider including Krasikov –who assassinated a Georgian citizen in broad daylight in Berlin in 2019 – in a potential trade, the German source said.
It's not over if the U.S. can find someone they can deliver.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

northland10 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:53 am
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:51 am Paul Whelan is from my hometown
Novi or AA? Those folks from the east side of the state are weird. ;)
Novi, though I did live in Ypsi for 5 years before moving to Lansing 8 years ago.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Thank you for a bit of the backstory on this Whelan guy's circumstances.

I had not heard of him before.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:18 am Thank you for a bit of the backstory on this Whelan guy's circumstances.

I had not heard of him before.
Yeah, his situation is hairier than the basketball player's. MAGAts aren't going to understand that.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

H/T to Jez for finding the link at the old forum.

https://formerly.thefogbow.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=11520
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Here's the thread from the Old Fogbow - https://formerly.thefogbow.com/forum/vi ... 8#p1056898
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:22 am https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/stat ... 2083061760
The first time Kevin McCarthy ever mentioned “Paul Whelan” in a tweet was today.
The guy will not endanger American lifes. The former guy pulled the US out of Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan. Also too, the US had Bout a decade behind bars. He has lost contact with the markets he served, his buisiness partners have moved on.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Trump says Britney Griner never would’ve been arrested if he was president, and he would’ve gotten Paul Whalen out sooner with a much better deal. (In two more weeks)
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

So Whelan is a dishonorably discharged veteran with more than a deeply checkered past. Hmmm.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:19 pm So Whelan is a dishonorably discharged veteran with more than a deeply checkered past. Hmmm.
Yep. I am kind of glad the MSM is not bringing this up to get in Fox's and the Rep's faces, but it's a valid point to make IMHO. It would get too decisive if that was thrown into the media mix.
Off Topic
That said, these dumbos on the R side making the McCarthy like statements that how could they trade BG for the notorious gun dealer like she's a worthless piece of crap because black and gay - do they not realize that she could become quite a voice for calling out the voters? Kinda like after the Parkland shooting and all the students came out. They can vote too ya know.
tek

Post by tek »

"I would have gotten Paul out" but for some reason didn't.

:confuzzled:

Return to “Current Politics”